Humble Pie

Peep Solero

One of my favourites. It's a shame they're not more well known. Anyone who is a fan of Led Zep or The Rolling Stones should love them.

Here's the albums that I have with my ratings:

As Safe As Yesterday Is - 6/10

Town and Country - 6/10

Humble Pie - 9/10

Rock On - 8/10

Performance Rockin' The Filmore (live) - 8/10

Smokin' - 9/10

Extended Versions (live) - 8/10

I know they were BIG when I saw them twice....in '72 and '73. Both times, the venue's were sold out and they were the headliners.

Maybe they didn't get the media coverage, but amonst the many fans I knew, they were held in high regard and sold lots of records...mainly Fillmore East and Smokin'...

In the top 5 for loudest shows I ever heard too....

Rock On ! :D

Humble Pie was a great band. Another band whose change of guitarists changed the sound quite a bit, not unlike the Stones when Taylor quit and Wood joined (though different in the fact that both Pie lead guitarists were very talented at the axe).

With Peter Frampton (1969-71), they could vary from crunchy to jazzy. When he was replaced by Dave "Clem" Clempson, they went to a raunchier, harder-hitting sound. All great stuff though. I thought the two early albums "As Safe As Yesterday" and "Town & Country" were weak in spots, but from the self-titled album in 1970 on they were consistently awesome.

For live discs, "KBFH Live in Winterland 1973" is a must-have, as is "Live At The Whiskey A Go Go". I like "Rockin' The Fillmore" too, but the other two are better IMO.

RIP, Steve & Greg.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm SO into The Pie right now. I bought something called The Definitive Collection. Released in 2006 containing career highlights. One song I am obsessed with Rollin' Stone. It was written by Muddy Waters. It's almost two songs in one. The first 3 1/2 minutes are slow and bluesy, then for a couple of minutes it goes into this rollicking multi-vocal romp. It's awesome. Does anybody know anything about this song?

I'm SO into The Pie right now. I bought something called The Definitive Collection. Released in 2006 containing career highlights. One song I am obsessed with Rollin' Stone. It was written by Muddy Waters. It's almost two songs in one. The first 3 1/2 minutes are slow and bluesy, then for a couple of minutes it goes into this rollicking multi-vocal romp. It's awesome. Does anybody know anything about this song?

Don't know much but it's a great cut

Ahhh, great tune Ally! I love Humble Pie...to me, 30 Days in the Hole will always be their anthem, good times them! :)

They obviously own a great debt to bands like Humble Pie, the Stones, the Faces, etc. but I've always loved The Black Crowes' version of that song. I definitely prefer that era of the Crowes to when they turned into a jam band and started channeling the Allmans and the Grateful Dead.

The version found on Rockin' The Fillmore is amazing. Hell that whole album was early 70's hard rock at its' very best. I vaguely remember reading where Marriott used the first part of the song directly from the Muddy Waters original but then going into some other old blues tune for the last half.

The live version has Marriott telling a story to the audience under a slow vamp......it's incredible.

Regards;

Archived