In what year(s) did Plant, Page, Jones, Bonham peak?

jhelgeson79

Or what year or years do you think that they were the most dominate member of the group? These are my opinions:

Plant - '70 - '71

Page - '72 - '73

Jones - '77 - '80

Bonham - '73 - '77

But one can argue that Jones and Bonham were pretty much solid all the time. What do you all think?

Or what year or years do you think that they were the most dominate member of the group? These are my opinions:

Plant - '70 - '71

Page - '72 - '73

Jones - '77 - '80

Bonham - '73 - '77

But one can argue that Jones and Bonham were pretty much solid all the time. What do you all think?

Most Dominant Member Overall

1968-1980 Jimmy Page

Most Dominant Member by Year

1968-1970 #1: Page #2: JPJ #3: Plant #4: Bonham

1971-1974 #1: Page #2: Plant #3: JPJ #4: Bonham

1975-1976 #1: Page #2: Plant #3: Bonham #4: JPJ

1977-1980 #1: JPJ #2: Plant #3: Page #4: Bonham

Most Valuable Player Overall:

1968-1980 John Bonham

Hmm, gotta disagree with you a bit there SAJ. Plant's voice was strongest from 68-72, then his vocal problems kicked in. JPJ, on the other hand, had more input via keyboards as the years went on. Plant's voice was crazy strong early on, while Jones was only playing keyboards on a couple of tracks live. But by '75, in concert he was playing a central role with No Quarter, Trampled Underfoot, Kashmir, The Rain Song, and Stairway, all while Plant was suffering with some vocal problems on the 75 tour. So to put JPJ at #4 and Plant at #2 seems an odd choice. And if we're also going by studio, and not just live, then you can also add stuff like In The Light to add to JPJ's contributions.

Jimmy Page: from Led-Zeppelin #1 all the way until August.1973....

Robert Plant: from April 69 until Feb.1972 (Austrailian tour)......

John Paul Jones: from Led-Zeppelin #1 through 1970. and then from 1973-80....

John Bonham: from 1971 until his death in 1980....

Hmm, gotta disagree with you a bit there SAJ. Plant's voice was strongest from 68-72, then his vocal problems kicked in. JPJ, on the other hand, had more input via keyboards as the years went on. Plant's voice was crazy strong early on, while Jones was only playing keyboards on a couple of tracks live. But by '75, in concert he was playing a central role with No Quarter, Trampled Underfoot, Kashmir, The Rain Song, and Stairway, all while Plant was suffering with some vocal problems on the 75 tour. So to put JPJ at #4 and Plant at #2 seems an odd choice. And if we're also going by studio, and not just live, then you can also add stuff like In The Light to add to JPJ's contributions.

It's all subjective. Depends on one's definition of "dominant" I suppose. I couldn't possibly consider Plant or Bonham as "dominant" members in '68-'69 purely based

on the fact they were on salary. Just my perspective and my interpretation.

also, JPJ was all over Led-Zeppelin#1.....definitely a heavy influence on that record.
JPJ pretty much mirrored Page's riffs on much of the early Zep tracks. That had alot to do with Page already having that first album ready to record before ever having the band together. It was'nt until they started writing songs together that JPJ really started to show off his original talents. But that has everything to do with the material at hand and what was required of him at the time so.....

for me....peaks would be

Bonham..73-80...he always had the ability, but IMO became a smarter/more efficient drummer as the years went on. Just watch Tous en Scene vs Knebworth. He went from use of arms to wrists. ;)

Plant...71-72/77-80....based purely on the fact that he had physical damage to his vocal cords in 73-75....and that he like Bonham became a smarter/more efficiant singer as the years went by. How high you can sing is not a means to measure vocal talent but a pure physical attribute...one that is also linked w/ age. 68-70 Plant could go anywhere with his voice...and often did..manytimes to places he did'nt need to go. :lol:

Page...68-73.....then he had some accidents with his hands....and has had problems ever since.

JPJ....68-80....rock solid throughout.....w/ an occasional glitch here and there....he's only human.

Page was at his peak from 69-75.

Plant was at his peak in 69.

Bonham was at his peak in 77

I don't think Jonesy has peaked yet. He just gets better.

Thats my favorite Quote.

This is just for live.

Page 69-75. He still hit Home runs later, but struck out a few times also.

Plant 69-73, but i think he was still as good, just not as powerful after wards

Bonzo 71-80 I think he changed his style to fit to the needs of the band better. in the beginning, he needed to be a mad man but, later became more dynamic.

JPJ- 69-?. His best album as a bassist was LZII, but he became Johnny on the spot after wards.

Being older, wiser, one wonders if they could reach new heights again if they put in the work. Have to get Roberts heart into it though. Seems to be the biggest obstacle now. Ill bet that Jimmy already has some riffs ready to go. Just in case.

I trust them to do just so!

maybe Pagey and Jonesy should nap Robert, tie him down to a chair and make him listen...lol

Plant- yes 1969-1972 was his most powerfull voice show case...but I refuse to think he had peaked.

Page- the best up until the drug abuse.

Archived