Total Lunar Eclipse the evening of Feb. 20th, 2008

The Rover

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/home/15357796.html

Total Lunar Eclipse for the Night of Wednesday, February 20, 2008.

Full Moon Wed. Night.

Eclipse begins on Full Moon at 745pm CST.

Total Eclipse Begins 9:00pm - about 10pm CST (Mid-point 9:26pm CST).

11:45pm CST Eclipse Ends and Full Moon is out again.

Eclipse%20map%20Feb20%202007%20l.jpg

Find moonrise, moonset and moonphase for a location in the World

The red light you'll see on the Moon comes from all the sunrises and sunsets that are occurring around Earth at the time. Our atmosphere scatters and refracts (bends) the sunlight that grazes the rim of our globe, sending some of it into Earth’s shadow.

If you were an astronaut standing on the Moon, the situation would be obvious. You would see the Sun covered up by a dark Earth that was ringed all around with a thin, brilliant band of sunset- and sunrise-colored light.

Watch the Moon carefully for other colors during totality, especially through binoculars or a telescope. Sometimes delicate blues, greens, and purples come and go. Time-lapse photography may show “flying shadows” crossing the Moon’s face during totality. These result from different features along Earth’s sunrise-sunset ring fading and brightening as the Sun shifts position behind Earth.

For this eclipse the Moon will be in the midst of some fine celestial scenery, like a big cameo stone with shiny little gems on the sides. The Moon will be more or less between bright Saturn and the slightly dimmer star Regulus. (Their exact arrangement will depend on where you're looking from.) The whole scene will just fit in the field of view of most binoculars.

The Next Eclipses

After three total lunar eclipses in less than a year, we face a dry spell. Partial ones occur for Europe, Africa, and parts of Asia on August 16, 2008, and December 31, 2009. The Americas get a partial one on the morning of June 26, 2010. But not until the night of December 20–21, 2010, does the next total lunar eclipse happen. That night the Americas will once again be favored.

We taped one in '89, I think. I was sitting out at the same time anyway, and I've watched all or some of a few others. It's pretty cool. It's a hell of a lot easier, and arguably more fun, than trying to catch a total solar eclipse.

Years ago I was out shrimping at night and we were getting our normal catch on a full moon with the tide going out, then there was a lunar eclipse and it was like someone turn off the faucet. I mean we went from pulling up 50lbs ever 10 mins to zip just like someone fliped a switch, it was the strangest thing ever. :blink:

If we can see it tonight I'll let you know.

It's already the 20th in Oz.

According to that map that was in the first post, you're not going to be able to see it, as it will be daylight while it's occuring here at night. It's only going to be visble in that dark swath.

According to that map that was in the first post, you're not going to be able to see it, as it will be daylight while it's occuring here at night. It's only going to be visble in that dark swath.

It's a full moon right now must be on the dark side.

Cool !

I watched the last one from High in the Colorado Rockies above 9,000 feet in the winter of '03 - '04. It was super clear and at that elevation the details are unbelievable.

SO...gotta hope its clear here tonight in Tennessee.

I'll have my binoculars handy...

So I just watched the eclipse. I listened to No Quarter while watching. That was creepy. I could see my breath in the freezing air. When he goes "The dogs of doom howl and moan" my neighbor's dog started howling. It scared the crap out of me but it was totally worth it. One of my coolest Zep experiences.

Archived