DALTREY GAVE LED ZEPPELIN TICKET TO CHARITY

http://www.pr-inside.com/daltrey-gave-led-...-to-r443455.htm

2008-02-18 20:18:03 -

THE WHO frontman ROGER DALTREY was offered a coveted ticket to see LED ZEPPELIN's comeback gig - but gave it up for charity.

The musician was desperate to see the reformed band take to the stage in December (07), but felt so guilty about going for free, he auctioned the tickets.

He says, "I did want to see Led Zeppelin and I could get a ticket but I felt bad about going. I didn't think it was right that I should have that privilege and thought it would be morally wrong for me to join the celebrity bandwagon that went.

"Led Zep was incredibly generous and gave our charity four tickets which we auctioned." Fans of the veteran rockers were willing to pay thousand of dollars for the chance to see their idols take to the stage again, with one enthusiast splashing out $166,000 (£83,000) for two tickets, which were originally priced at $250 (£125) each.

I've heard Daltrey in interviews say how much he digs Led Zeppelin and how he's a huge fan of Plant and his solo albums. It's nice to see a pro that can admit when he digs a band bigger than his without caring about the ego. Lots of bands are jealous of Zep's immense musical legacy and industry clout, but way more (the smart ones) look up to them, without feeling they need to compete with Zep, which is next to impossible anyway.

Now I know why I've loved The Who for so long?

Anybody who has seen the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert will know there is a mutual

affection and respect between Roger & Robert.

And not so long ago Robert opened for The Who, that says it all really.

Here's a quote from Daltrey in the latest edition (March) of Q Magazine:

Q - By 1969, you had shoulder-length hair and wore a fringed suede jacket. Do you think Robert Plant ripped off your look?

RD - Oh, the "rock god" look [laughs]. Looking back, Robert was a bit Mk II Daltrey, but I never got crossed up about it because he's always been a friend. I was more jealous of Planty because he was so fucking tall.

Roger Daltrey has a heart of gold. Solid gold.

C'mon, you can't be serious. He "didn't want to be part of the celebrity bandwagon"?

What the fuck does that have to do with anything? What a load of shit!

If he actually cared about "the charity" he could have donated some of his own money

and still have gone to the show with the tickets that Zeppelin so kindly gave to his ass.

The truth is that he and Pete Townshend are both two jealous bastards.

"Heart of Gold", thats pretty damn funny.

C'mon, you can't be serious. He "didn't want to be part of the celebrity bandwagon"?

If he actually cared about "the charity" he could have donated some of his own money

and still have gone to the show with the tickets that Zeppelin so kindly gave to his ass.

What chu talkn' bout willis!

the-who_004.jpg

So much in this comment that doesn't make sense...I don't know where to start...

Here's a quote from Daltrey in the latest edition (March) of Q Magazine:

Q - By 1969, you had shoulder-length hair and wore a fringed suede jacket. Do you think Robert Plant ripped off your look?

RD - Oh, the "rock god" look [laughs]. Looking back, Robert was a bit Mk II Daltrey, but I never got crossed up about it because he's always been a friend. I was more jealous of Planty because he was so fucking tall.

What a kind soul Roger is to have given up his ticket to charity. There's plenty of room in my heart for more than one "rock god". :wub:

Does anyone know how tall Robert is? And Page, Jones & Bonham too??

What a kind soul Roger is to have given up his ticket to charity. There's plenty of room in my heart for more than one "rock god". :wub:

Once I met Plant the morning after a gig in the North of Spain and he looked really tall to me. I was staying at an awful B&B and in front there was a 4 or 5 stars hotel. When I went out for lunch I saw Percy at the hotel's main entrance and he smiled as he saw I was wearing a T-shirt with the Led Zep III cover album. He said hello very friendly and shook my hand. Unfortunately I didn't have a pen to ask him for an autograph and my English was not so good by then. Honestly, I was really ashamed to ask him for a pen and an autograph at the same time.

Anyway, I keep this memory as a treasure.

Don't know exactly, but I think the order tallest to shortest goes Robert, Jimmy, Bonzo, then Jonesy.

This comment is a load of crap. Roger Daltrey is involved in the Teenage Cancer Trust (TCT) for years. First get your brain out of the dustbin and get informed about a topic you respond to, before posting.

I wonder why they gave them to his ass. :huh:

I can't see why they would be jealous cos The Who have done pretty well for themelves have they not and for even longer than Zep.

I find your statement crass in the extreme. :blink:

Pete Townshend himself has admitted his "deep jealousy of Zeppelin for becoming everything that he wanted 'The Who' to become, but didn't". He fucking hates Zeppelin with a passion, always has. Daltrey also obviously doesn't care for Zeppelin either, otherwise he would have been there.

You don't wanna go, fine, don't go, but don't announce that you didn't go because you'd rather auction your tickets for the charity or because of the "celebrity bandwagon" that he felt he was too cool to be part of, which is it?

Question: If it wasn't a fundraising event and there were no celebrities at the 02 reunion, would Roger Daltrey or Pete Towshend have been there?

I seriously doubt it. And thats cool.

Archived