the ocean live

blackbeauty21

ive heard that "the ocean" was a fan favorite when they played it live and from what i know from HTWWW and TSRTS and boots, it was incredible live. but from what i know they only played it in 72 and 73. anybody know why they stoped playing it?

Why did they stop playing anything? Probably just so they could play some stuff off their next records. Or they just felt it didn't fit the way they were going. They didn't play Dancing Days either outside of a medley in 77.

ive heard that "the ocean" was a fan favorite when they played it live and from what i know from HTWWW and TSRTS and boots, it was incredible live. but from what i know they only played it in 72 and 73. anybody know why they stoped playing it?

It made them seasick

They'd run out of dramamine. :(

There is of course the legend that Plant believed the song was responsible for his personal misfortunes, sounds like typical "satanic" BS that you often hear spread about the band to me though.

I think you mean "In My Time Of Dying", at least that's what Hammer Of The Gods alleges...

I think you mean "In My Time Of Dying", at least that's what Hammer Of The Gods alleges...

It was also The Ocean. I remember reading a while back that while Robert was in Malibu recovering from his accident, a huge wave washed away the porch of the house he was in. He saw that as a sign that he should be more careful with his lyrics.

Led Zeppelin's Broken Journey

http://www.geocities.com/brandyzep/BrokenJourney.html

From Circus Magazine May 13, 1976

It was also The Ocean. I remember reading a while back that while Robert was in Malibu recovering from his accident, a huge wave washed away the porch of the house he was in. He saw that as a sign that he should be more careful with his lyrics.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

"Singing in the sunshine, laughing in the rain

Hitting on the moonshine, rocking in the grain

Got no time to pack my bag, my foots outside the door

Got a date, can't be late for the high hopes hailla ball.

Singing to an ocean, I can hear the ocean's roar

Play for free, play for me and play a whole lot more

Singing about the good things and the sun that lights the day

I use to sing on the mountains, has the ocean lost its way. I don't know

Sitting round singing songs til the night turns into day

Used to sing on the mountains but the mountains washed away

Now I'm singing all my songs to the girl who won my heart

She is only three years old and it's a real fine way to start."

Yeah, that sounds satanic alright.......

Why does any song get dropped from a set? To make room for new material. One needn't read meaning into the choice. "Plant in Malibu seeing waves". Please. Maybe they just felt Kashmir and IMTOD needed room made. Hell, they stopped doing Heartbreaker too. Was it the clap that spoke to that decision? "Jimmy, I have this burning sensation. Maybe we she should stop doing Heartbreaker!". Or why did they drop Thank You? Or I Can't Quit You Babe? It comes down to jams that have been explored to the point there's really no new ground to be found. Bands come up with new music and get excited about it. Something has to make space. Plain and simple. No scandal required. :beer:

I believe part of the Satantic themed theory was behind the line "high hopes hailla ball" which has been discussed on her before. Those aren't the 'real' words, the 'real' words allude to a hellhound or somesuch.

Please don't gun me down internet style it's just what i have read somewhere.

I'm in the 'they stopped as they fancied mixing up the set' camp.

:D

I believe part of the Satantic themed theory was behind the line "high hopes hailla ball" which has been discussed on her before. Those aren't the 'real' words, the 'real' words allude to a hellhound or somesuch.

Please don't gun me down internet style it's just what i have read somewhere.

I'm in the 'they stopped as they fancied mixing up the set' camp.

:D

Actually those are the real words. Just switch around haila and high hopes. That's what is said on record. Plant would change it up live though.

Alot of their songs were dropped due to Plant's voice. They stopped playing Immigrant Song because the voice strain. There's no doubt that if Plant worked on in, at Knebworth he could've done Immigrant Song.

:huh:

If that were true than why did Rock and Roll, Over The Hills, and Dazed remain in the set list?

Led-Zeppelin could not have been able to fit 75+ songs in just a three hour set :D

Jimmy Page once said:...."when we go on a tour we re-hearse alot of stuff we think we can do. ( since we are just a four piece band) and then we go with what works".....

Archived