Jimmy vs. Eddie

Tadpole in a Jar

This:

I'm sorry, I just don't agree. I was once a fan of the man, and now I'm not. Guitar playing should say something beyond 'look what I can do', and I don't really hear EVH doing that.

And again, his "innovation" was an evolutionary dead end. No one taps anymore, no one uses the wang bar anymore.

And can I just say . . . thank GOD. :rolleyes: Give me Derek Trucks seven days a week and twice on Sundays.

Yes, but no one plays Page-esque solos anymore either....so that is a moot point. Fact is...EVH did in fact turn the guitar playing world upside down for quite some time. An entire genre of music was spawned from it. There would not have been the entire 80's glam rock scene had it not been for VH....(even though I can't f-ing stand a single one of those bands) I still have to give EVH credit for that. Everyone tried to play like VH...which also meant everyone stopped trying to be Page......that is until GnR came around.

Just to clarify, Page is by all means my favorite musician, but also being a guitarist that's been playing for 25 years, I know who the most influentual guitarists are....Hendrix #1, EVH #2.......but if you want to talk about bands, Beatles #1, Zep #2.

and thumbs up on Derek Trucks.....IMO even more skilled as a player than Duane ever was. And that's saying a mouthful!

They aren't even in the same league.

Jimmy is far more talented then Eddie on so many levels.

Take a look at the longevity of their music.

Take a look at record sales.

Take a look at concert records.

How many VH songs are timeless?

How many LZ songs are timeless?

I'm sorry. I like Eddie, and appreciate his ability, but on Jimmy's worst day, he outplays Eddie.

I guess you've never heard Page at his worst? :huh: .......and the rest of your statements are regarding Led Zeppelin Vs VH, not Page vs Eddie.....VH did'nt have Bonham, Jones, or Plant. Page is nothing more than 1/4 of greatness.

I don't like "VS" threads, and this comparison is another reason why. ^_^

I think both have a rightful place in my music collection, for different reasons, and one thing you can say about both players is that even if you've not heard the song before you instantly know it's them.

That's respectable in any genre.

I guess you've never heard Page at his worst? :huh: .......and the rest of your statements are regarding Led Zeppelin Vs VH, not Page vs Eddie.....VH did'nt have Bonham, Jones, or Plant. Page is nothing more than 1/4 of greatness.

There's always some asshole to come along thinking they know more then everyone else. :rolleyes:

Rolling Stone Magazine

The 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time

JP sitting cooly in the top 10 at #9

EVH sitting way down at #70 :P

JP rules, EVH drools.

JP among the greatest.

EVH among some mentionable guitarist, but not even close to the top rankings.

I've seen Eddie play. He's good. He's never taken my breath away though.

Edited by tyedye

You're quoting Rolling Stone? That's not the best way to make your case. Most music lovers I know hate Rolling Stone and don't even consider them a viable source of anything. Heck, they slagged on Zeppelin early on didn't they???? Then only after it was obvious that they were wrong did they hop on the bandwagon.

Eddie Van Halen is one of the greatest guitarists of all-time. You can't just say he drools.

All of this quoting record sales and rankings is quite stupid. Think about it. If that were the case, the Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears would be considered the greatest artists of all-time, if we're talking record sales....does that make sense?

Edited by Deezer

I've seen Eddie play. He's good. He's never taken my breath away though.

You must not have seen the Live Without a Net solo, then! Especially check out the part where he elaborates on the "Mean Street" opening.

Don't get me wrong, and I think you may have, Led Zeppelin is far and away my favorite band, there's no comparing them to anyone else, but pure guitar-playing wise...Eddie's the greatest.

• 1 month later...

Jesus....this is a zep forum??? Anyone making these EVH is god comments actually play the guitar?? Faster etc...means NOTHING...i've just watched the 'live without a net' solo above....and it's classic 'cock rock' style playing !!! Laughable...for one you don't have to go far into the zep world to find JP playing as fast...just watch the endless solos in dazed or wlol on tsrts...where he plays as fast if not faster, and FAR more importantly is playing some way off the scale mad dreamt up riffs all over the neck. EVH et al...simply speed up standard blues licks, and laughable top scales!!!

THERE IS NO COMPARISON.

A great guitarist maybe.....one of the best...no. How many lists does EVH come near the top??? None.

That said....one has to be honest and say that JP has has some very LOW years since Zep. But thats another story.

Edited by olster

Can anybody show me and youtube videos of Van Halen playing some good shit? im not making fun of him but the stuff ive heard hes good but not in comparison with page, but apparently from the first post he has some excellent early playing, i would like to hear some of this

Can anybody show me and youtube videos of Van Halen playing some good shit? im not making fun of him but the stuff ive heard hes good but not in comparison with page, but apparently from the first post he has some excellent early playing, i would like to hear some of this

Just buy Van Halen I

I'd put that album up as equal to anything Zeppelin ever did, but that's just my opinion.

Apples and oranges. Yes, Eddie was a true innovator. But Jimmy's writing embraced so many styles. Not strictly his soloing, mind you, but his total craft. His writing, playing, production. There's a reason Zep is arguably the biggest band of all time. Besides, Eddie was from a different generation of guitarists, and Zeppelin suckled that generation. You can't go from Cream to Van Halen without Zeppelin, regardless of whether Eddie gives all his props to Eric Clapton. Van Halen was dynamic and hard rocking, but Zeppelin was vast in scope. And to expand on what someone said earlier, it's not about speed. There are lots of guys who could play circles around Eddie. Take Marty Freidman and those guys. And Yngwie. The problem is that their music only appeals to a select audience. It's music for guitar players. I think overall appeal must be considered a factor. Look at George Harrison! One of the most vastly underrated musicians ever. Not because he was a shredder, obviously. But his playing could go straight to your soul. Duane Allman, Warren Haynes, Jerry Garcia. Those guys could break your heart with a single note. That's rare. Jimmy makes that lsit. Eddie...well yes, he can be exciting, but heartwrenching? Not that I've ever heard.

Apples and oranges. Yes, Eddie was a true innovator. But Jimmy's writing embraced so many styles. Not strictly his soloing, mind you, but his total craft. His writing, playing, production. There's a reason Zep is arguably the biggest band of all time. Besides, Eddie was from a different generation of guitarists, and Zeppelin suckled that generation. You can't go from Cream to Van Halen without Zeppelin, regardless of whether Eddie gives all his props to Eric Clapton. Van Halen was dynamic and hard rocking, but Zeppelin was vast in scope. And to expand on what someone said earlier, it's not about speed. There are lots of guys who could play circles around Eddie. Take Marty Freidman and those guys. And Yngwie. The problem is that their music only appeals to a select audience. It's music for guitar players. I think overall appeal must be considered a factor. Look at George Harrison! One of the most vastly underrated musicians ever. Not because he was a shredder, obviously. But his playing could go straight to your soul. Duane Allman, Warren Haynes, Jerry Garcia. Those guys could break your heart with a single note. That's rare. Jimmy makes that lsit. Eddie...well yes, he can be exciting, but heartwrenching? Not that I've ever heard.

Excellent post Ev. I'm not a fan of EVH solos. The only time I hear any soul in his playing is with his riffs. Maybe the best rhythm player I 've ever heard. I mean that as a compliment

Excellent post Ev. I'm not a fan of EVH solos. The only time I hear any soul in his playing is with his riffs. Maybe the best rhythm player I 've ever heard. I mean that as a compliment

Thanks Ally! And let's face it, Eddie never wrote anything like The Rain Song or TSRTS! True epic masterpieces that could only have come from Jimmy. He's one in a billion! :D

Yeah, Beautiful Girls rocks, but it's no Achilles' Last Stand! :lol:

Eruption is amazing, but it doesn't conjure the incubus like Jimmy's bow solo! B)

What's up with these "vs" threads? Hendrix, Page, Van Halen are all incredible in their own right. When you get as good as these guys were/are, it's just a matter of opinion, and that's it.

It's because threads on 'mine is bigger than yours' are kinda discouraged... some twit would want to post pics as proof or something... and we can't have that now, can we?

;)

It's because threads on 'mine is bigger than yours' are kinda discouraged... some twit would want to post pics as proof or something... and we can't have that now, can we?

;)

Well i have already posted that i don't have the worlds biggest penis. But i haven't met everbody in the world so im still in 2nd.

Eddie...well yes, he can be exciting, but heartwrenching? Not that I've ever heard.

Ev, I agree with your whole post, but not this bit...

Secrets, Dance The Night Away (gorgeous guitar parts), Little Guitars, Why Can't This Be Love? (okay, it's not really Van Halen, but it's Eddie playing), Dreams, Right Now... Sammy Hagar stuff especially. But it's not VH without Roth.

Ev, I agree with your whole post, but not this bit...

Secrets, Dance The Night Away (gorgeous guitar parts), Little Guitars, Why Can't This Be Love? (okay, it's not really Van Halen, but it's Eddie playing), Dreams, Right Now... Sammy Hagar stuff especially. But it's not VH without Roth.

I must agree, particularly with Secrets, that those are evidence of Eddie's "tender" side, and I admire you for leaning toward them as examples, as opposed to the in your face stuff. You're wiser than your years Ali! But I still stand by my opinion (afterall it's just an opinion) that they don't touch Jimmy's masterpieces! :D

Eddie's more virtuoistic, and is plainly the faster guitarist. In a guitar duel based on speed, he'd run cricles around Page. But on the other hand, Page wrote way better music, and he was more influential than Van Halen ever was/will be.

If I needed a solid guitarist who some cool licks, I pick Page. If I'm playing speed metal or something just wild and crazy, Eddie hands down

Eddie's more virtuoistic,

I can't begin to understand this assertion.

More virtuostic? Was Liszt more "virtuostic" than Beethoven because he wrote blindingly fast and near-impossible-to-play pieces? It's about what moves the human soul and how it does so. It's like saying someone's a greater author because he uses big words. Sometimes the depth is in the simplicity. The subtlety. The nuance. It's not all about the licks.

Tofu may have more complex proteins, but I'll take a steak.

Don't get me wrong. I love Eddie. Always have been a huge fan. But he takes me to a different place. Like a wet t-shirt contest with a dozen kegs. Jimmy takes me to Albion, Kashmir, further. It's just so much broader in scope and scape.

Edited by Evster2012

It has been nice seeing Eddie give the proper credit to Jimmy as an inspiration in the past few years, instead of the nasty comments he had made as a younger man. While I do not like to compare, I think Jimmy's accomplishments and capabilities hugely out way Eddie's speed, which is all Eddie brings to the table on paper. Although if tested I think Page could play as fast as Eddie, Jimmy is a musician first. He can (has) write/written music on an epic scale that can be compared to some of the greatest musical composers in history. Eddie does not possess this gift. Urinating on the neck of a guitar does not qualify Eddie to be on the same playing field as Page. Just my opinion. :)

• 1 month later...

20962103-20962106-slarge.jpg

From the June 15, 2008 Rolling Stone article: Secrets of the Guitar Heroes

Your biggest innovation was two-handed tapping -- using both hands to fret notes simultaneously. Where did you get the idea?

EVH: I was watching Jimmy Page going [sings hammering guitar lick], like that, with one hand, in "Heartbreaker." I thought, "I can play like that, and you wouldn't know if I was using this finger [points to left hand] or this one" [points to right hand]. But you just kind of move it around, and it's like, "You got one big hand there, buddy. That's a hell of a spread!"

Edited by The Rover