lord of the rings and led zeppelin

hippylove

I actually liked the music used in the movies, since it had a sort of timeless feeling about it, and sounded quite epic. Also the different themes that went with the different races illustrated the moodswings very well in my opinion (creepy music with loud drums for Saruman,and for the troops of Mordor, etherical almost otherworldly voices for the Elves and happy medieval-esque music for the Hobbits in the beginning of the movie)

I have all three soundtrack albums and listen to them every now and then and still find many new interesting aspects about them....I love the use of Elvish languages (Sindarin and Quenya) which both sound very beautiful even without music.

I must admit that Zeppelin are also Tolkien related/inspired but their music would not fit into the movie due to the use of modern instruments. An electric guitar would just be a tad odd in a medieval scenario-just like the modern music used in "A knights tale" and the modern music references in "Moulin Rouge" did not really enhance the realism of those films (Peter Jackson wanted to depict the LOTR movies as a "real world" with a history of its own....had there been a Led Zeppelin in that world they would have sounded different -more acoustical- since there was no use of electricity in Middle Earth).

It would not be strange to me if they had used Robert singing lyrics over some layers of mandolins, hurdy gurdy's and so on which would have worked very well as one of the end titles for one of the films, but heck....the movies are made and finished and should not be "George Lucassified" every ten years from now on.

Maybe someone reads this and asks one of the Zeppelin members to participate in one of the two Hobbit movies that are now beeing made to contribute their talents to that project, and to write some music that fits into that scenario......

(or we will have Bilbo with his ghettoblaster cranking up "Whole lotta love" of course)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jeez what a lot of writing.....I get blisters on my fingers....

I like the music from the movies, I bought The Fellowship soundtrack. The Council of Elrond, Lothlorien, & "Concerning Hobbits" themes are my favorites.

Still, Ramble On would be perfect for the closing credits. And I think BEM could've fit in somewhere, since it's not so much "modern instruments".

I think someone should make a LotR movie around the Zep music. Like "Across The Universe", but different...

It would not be strange to me if they had used Robert singing lyrics over some layers of mandolins, hurdy gurdy's and so on which would have worked very well as one of the end titles for one of the films, but heck....the movies are made and finished and should not be "George Lucassified" every ten years from now on.

This cracks me up.

I like the music in the trilogy, too. And think it goes well with the movies.

I think someone should make a LotR movie around the Zep music. Like "Across The Universe", but different...

That would only cost some millions of dollars and a lot of convincing since Jimmy almost never wants his music used in movies.

Anyway, maybe you can make a fan film or synch up som zep music with LOTR footage just for fun.

That would only cost some millions of dollars and a lot of convincing since Jimmy almost never wants his music used in movies.

Anyway, maybe you can make a fan film or synch up som zep music with LOTR footage just for fun.

There used to be some videos like Battle of Evermore with LOTR footage on youtube but were pulled, quite well done I'd say.

Years and years and YEARS ago, there was a BBC radio adaptation of The Hobbit, that used the Early English Music Consort for the music, playing instruments like sackbuts etc. It was absolutely perfect. Whereas to me, the music in the LOTR movies was--sorry, guys :bagoverhead: --just typical movie music, OK but nothing imaginative (emphasized by mentions in the clip to all the other movie-score guys like John Williams, etc.). I'd like to have heard music and instruments that sounded as if they belonged to another world.

Wish I still had the links to my friend Rand's videos. He did some really good montages of LOTR to Ten Years Gone and BOE. They were on the old board for years. They're on my old computer, but it's in storage in California.

Years and years and YEARS ago, there was a BBC radio adaptation of The Hobbit, that used the Early English Music Consort for the music, playing instruments like sackbuts etc. It was absolutely perfect. Whereas to me, the music in the LOTR movies was--sorry, guys :bagoverhead: --just typical movie music, OK but nothing imaginative (emphasized by mentions in the clip to all the other movie-score guys like John Williams, etc.). I'd like to have heard music and instruments that sounded as if they belonged to another world.

Aqua, don't be too stern with them. :lol: Movie music is, ehh, movie music.

As a fan of Tolkien's books, I won't say the movies are perfect, but the trilogy as a whole is an outstanding package.

Aqua, don't be too stern with them. :lol: Movie music is, ehh, movie music.

As a fan of Tolkien's books, I won't say the movies are perfect, but the trilogy as a whole is an outstanding package.

Oh, I agree I thought the movies as a whole were great. B) As close as you could come to getting those wonderful books on film, really. Just wasn't too excited by the music . . . :ph34r:

Oh, I agree I thought the movies as a whole were great. B) As close as you could come to getting those wonderful books on film, really. Just wasn't too excited by the music . . . :ph34r:

I can relate. Howard Shore's score was certainly grand and big box office epic, but I too would've liked a more mystical and "woodsy" feel to it.

I can relate. Howard Shore's score was certainly grand and big box office epic, but I too would've liked a more mystical and "woodsy" feel to it.

Does make you wonder why they wouldn't have gone for music that evoked more ancient times rather than a more standard movie score.

Does make you wonder why they wouldn't have gone for music that evoked more ancient times rather than a more standard movie score.

Time/Money/Hard to find someone able to do that, a lot of factors I guess.

And for a lot of people, Enya's voice is mystical and otherwordly enough.

Time/Money/Hard to find someone able to do that, a lot of factors I guess.

And for a lot of people, Enya's voice is mystical and otherwordly enough.

I'd agree that they might not have wanted to spend the time/money finding people who could do that. I'm sure they are out there but it would have been a bigger project on top of the making of the movies. As I said, I don't really remember the music at all.

I'd agree that they might not have wanted to spend the time/money finding people who could do that. I'm sure they are out there but it would have been a bigger project on top of the making of the movies. As I said, I don't really remember the music at all.

Off topic but a funny thought: I don't really like Titanic much and am not a fan of Celine Dion, but I heard My Heart Will Go On so many times back when the film was on that I think it's really hard to forget.

:mellow:

Off topic but a funny thought: I don't really like Titanic much and am not a fan of Celine Dion, but I heard My Heart Will Go On so many times back when the film was on that I think it's really hard to forget.

:mellow:

I had the same experience!

The Ballantine brewery company was founded in 1840 in Newark, New Jersey, USA. Not Oxford. Oh, and on Ballantine's cans, the symbol is inverted. Must be some kind of Satanic backcanning!! :lol:

Sarcasm alert. :lol:

Anyway, I find it funny that no one talks about Jonesy's symbol, at least the fact that it appears on the spine of the King James Bible. Holy Trinity Batman! But that wouldn't fit the image of ol' Dark Zeppelin with Jimmy hanging upside down like a bat in some hotel room.

:lol: I could picture Jimmy hanging upside-down like in the movie "Son-in-Law"! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: What is with the pounding the chest :blink:

You've never seen her video for My Heart Will Go On? At the climax she's standing on the bow of the ship and pounds her chest emphatically. I always found it overly dramatic and funny. :beer:

You've never seen her video for My Heart Will Go On? At the climax she's standing on the bow of the ship and pounds her chest emphatically. I always found it overly dramatic and funny. :beer:

Unfortunately I've seen it many times :blink: She's done it in a bunch of movies - I don't get it :lol: I was sort of asking in a WTF is up with that but it didn't translate from brain to post :slapface::D

:beer:

Unfortunately I've seen it many times :blink: She's done it in a bunch of movies - I don't get it :lol: I was sort of asking in a WTF is up with that but it didn't translate from brain to post :slapface::D

:beer:

Oh! Yeah gotcha! Now that I read your post again, I realise you weren't commenting on my comment, but rather her pounding the chest thing. :D:beer:

I actually liked the music used in the movies, since it had a sort of timeless feeling about it, and sounded quite epic. Also the different themes that went with the different races illustrated the moodswings very well in my opinion (creepy music with loud drums for Saruman,and for the troops of Mordor, etherical almost otherworldly voices for the Elves and happy medieval-esque music for the Hobbits in the beginning of the movie)

I have all three soundtrack albums and listen to them every now and then and still find many new interesting aspects about them....I love the use of Elvish languages (Sindarin and Quenya) which both sound very beautiful even without music.

I must admit that Zeppelin are also Tolkien related/inspired but their music would not fit into the movie due to the use of modern instruments. An electric guitar would just be a tad odd in a medieval scenario-just like the modern music used in "A knights tale" and the modern music references in "Moulin Rouge" did not really enhance the realism of those films (Peter Jackson wanted to depict the LOTR movies as a "real world" with a history of its own....had there been a Led Zeppelin in that world they would have sounded different -more acoustical- since there was no use of electricity in Middle Earth).

Maybe someone reads this and asks one of the Zeppelin members to participate in one of the two Hobbit movies that are now beeing made to contribute their talents to that project, and to write some music that fits into that scenario......

(or we will have Bilbo with his ghettoblaster cranking up "Whole lotta love" of course)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jeez what a lot of writing.....I get blisters on my fingers....

i couldn't agree more. i thought the musical score was done brilliantly for all three films....i think adding pre-recorded music, even Zeppelin, would have been a huge mistake andtaken away from the films mystique, in a way.

Obviously if Zeppelin's music had been involved in the soundtrack it would have been ideal to include RO, BOE and OTHAFA during the credits, they were long enough!

Jimmy and JPJ could've easily provided the score and Robert could've come up with lyrics if they were required.

Somehow I think Shore will be involved with The Hobbits movies.

Even though Jackson won't be directing he is producing them so he is still calling the shots.

I agree that pre-recorded music would have been a bad idea, and rock music of any kind, in fact, would have sited the film in this world rather than in Middle Earth. But orchestras do the same--there are all sorts of interesting instruments that we don't have the same kind of associations with that could have been used to conjure a whole alien musical landscape . . .

Or not. :lol: Looks like more of the same for The Hobbit, if you're right, Reggie.

Archived