2003 DVD set

Cat

Thought I'd treat myself and bought the 2003 DVD set today. The entire second disc is unwatchable. Every image dissolves into pixels and the sound cuts out. I can't return it; has anyone else had the same problem with this set?

Thought I'd treat myself and bought the 2003 DVD set today. The entire second disc is unwatchable. Every image dissolves into pixels and the sound cuts out. I can't return it; has anyone else had the same problem with this set?

That sucks!

Why can't you return it? Most places will let you exchange if a DVD is defective.

Anyway, try cleaning the disc. If a home cleaning won't clear up the problem, try taking it a video rental store or CD shop. Most have a DVD cleaner they will run it through for you for free.

Could also be a problem with the DVD laser head too - you can get a cleaner for that too. But if it's only the 2nd disc it sounds like a problem with the disc.

I don't know where you come from but where I am, Australia, the retailer is legally obliged to replace a defective item and I don't think it would be different anywhere else in the world.

Thats complete horseshit, you may not be able to return it, but an exchange is definitely acceptable. When i was fixing TVs for Circuit city and best buy, i always told the costumer, the more you bitch, the bigger the TV you'll get. Even if it is a small local store, They could just return it for full credit. Anyways what kind of a setup do you have. I have an DVD Up-conversion player with an HDMI input into a DLP. The picture for me is better at 720p then at 1080i ( I know it's not true 1080, but it displays it at 1080). Even though 720p and 1080i should be the same quality. It's probably the digital filters they ran it through. Sorry for the shop talk. It was cleaner at 480p by not a crisp.

I'd take it back for an exchange for sure if it doesn't work after a cleaning.

The store doesn't loose any money for an exchange. They just send it back to the manufacturer.

Take it back with the reciept.

I went back to the store and they would exchange it, except they don't have any more in stock and won't order one. I have to "wait and hope they get more in stock". At least it was only $28 USD.

Thanks for everyone's help.

I went back to the store and they would exchange it, except they don't have any more in stock and won't order one. I have to "wait and hope they get more in stock". At least it was only $28 USD.

:angry:

They should have given you a refund then. You shouldn't be stuck with a defective item.

It's only 22.99 on amazon if you get your money back.

http://www.amazon.com/Led-Zeppelin-Robert-...t/dp/B00008PX8P

Your store sounds like a real bitch.

I have a similar issue. I bought the DVD a day or two after it came out in 2003. Since the day I bought it, when I listen to disc one in Dolby 5.1 the center chanel crackles. It works fine in DTS 5.1. I thought it was my system at first, but that is the only disc it happens with. Never took it back, but only watch it in DTS... :(

Your store sounds like a real bitch.

It's run by one guy (the owner), who has the final say on everything. Wonder if I'd have any luck with Atlantic Records/Warner Music/SuperHype/Jimmy Page?

This reminds me of the South Park episode when Kenny and Stan tried to get their money back from Mel Gibson because they hated the Passion of the Christ and the theatre wouldn't refund the ticket price. :lol:

I have a similar issue. I bought the DVD a day or two after it came out in 2003. Since the day I bought it, when I listen to disc one in Dolby 5.1 the center chanel crackles. It works fine in DTS 5.1. I thought it was my system at first, but that is the only disc it happens with. Never took it back, but only watch it in DTS... :(

Ah well, DTS is usually way better than Dolby anyway.

Yeah, that sucks. I would expect the store owner/manager could return it for a new one from his supplier. His apparent refusal to do so would certainly get me to do my business elsewhere. Maybe he'll reconsider, and do the right thing.

I haven't had any problems with mine.I gotta admit though, that I couldn't have waited that long to get the dvd. I thought I was extremely patient just waiting the 4-5 days that I did... darn near broke my elbow patting myself on the back. :lol:

I would still maintain that while it is technically an 'exchange', the shop has a legal requirement to replace a faulty product, whether they have the stock or not. It is not an exchange for another of their DVDs, it is an exchange with the distributor for a working copy.

What if you had bought a laptop or a refrigerator or any other item there - and they told you 'sorry but we won't exchange it as we don't have any other stock'. I don't think so.....

The owner's obviously a jerk, and most likely believes I burned a copy and want it for free. He won't even play the bad disc to verify my story. I'll contact the consumer hotline for state and see what happens.

Archived