Blu-Ray & HD-DVD

Zephyrus

hope there isn't already a thread about this, I've looked and can't find one. if there is, someone point me in the right direction please...

I've heard a lot about this Blu-Ray and HD DVD "format wars" crap lately and how Blu-Ray has supposedly won. basically what I'm hearing is that movies will now pretty much come out on Blue-Ray as opposed to HD DVD, but what I'm interested in is regular DVDs, the kind that I've been using for the last 2 or 3 years. I ask because most of my small movie collection consists of concert footage on regular, normal, everyday DVDs. I can't really find out anything about how this will affect the production of normal DVDs. I really couldn't care less about having any of this "HD" junk, as far as I'm concerned it's over-hyped, just a way to make more money, and I don't see any difference between HD and regular DVDs that warrants buying them over the normal ones. so what I'd like to know is: are normal DVDs effectively done for? and if so, would normal DVDs still be supported by these "wonder to end all wonders" Blu-Ray players that I expect will be coming out soon? in other words, am I going to have to go out and replace all my damn DVDs with this Blu-Ray trash?

thank you for any help you may have in answering my question ;)

hope there isn't already a thread about this, I've looked and can't find one. if there is, someone point me in the right direction please...

I've heard a lot about this Blu-Ray and HD DVD "format wars" crap lately and how Blu-Ray has supposedly won. basically what I'm hearing is that movies will now pretty much come out on Blue-Ray as opposed to HD DVD, but what I'm interested in is regular DVDs, the kind that I've been using for the last 2 or 3 years. I ask because most of my small movie collection consists of concert footage on regular, normal, everyday DVDs. I can't really find out anything about how this will affect the production of normal DVDs. I really couldn't care less about having any of this "HD" junk, as far as I'm concerned it's over-hyped, just a way to make more money, and I don't see any difference between HD and regular DVDs that warrants buying them over the normal ones. so what I'd like to know is: are normal DVDs effectively done for? and if so, would normal DVDs still be supported by these "wonder to end all wonders" Blu-Ray players that I expect will be coming out soon? in other words, am I going to have to go out and replace all my damn DVDs with this Blu-Ray trash?

blue ray machines will apparently play all dvds regardless, but the blue ray discs will only play on blue ray machines.

Actually Blu-Ray is very nice compared to reg dvd. I bought a ps3 for xmas last year which has a Blu-Ray built in and it costs the same as a stand alone player. So if your into the games may as well buy the ps3. All of my regular dvds and cds play in this system and has a built in hard drive, blue tooth , a memory card reader as well as a wireless card so you can log on to the internet and browse on your tv set. Great all around entertainment center for the bux.

Yep HD-DVD is effectively dead, although I have both Blu Ray and HD-DVD Players so I'm not too worried. In answer to the original question posed Blu Ray players will quite happily play all existing DVD's not only that but they will upscale those DVD's to near HD quality, so theywill never have looked so good.

The Blu-Ray format is crap. I don't know why some of the studios wussed out and stopped supporting HD-DVD (I know Universal was one of the last hold outs). But I also know that some of the studios were interested in giving the consumers more of a choice; which helped with keeping competition over the formats going. My problem with Blu-Ray is that they have way more playback problems than HD-DVD. Problems that Sony has been very slow to correct in fact. Does anyone think that without competition that Sony is going to solve these problem and get better? I sure don't.

When competition goes away the consumer always looses.

There is a Pod cast called Cranky Geeks. It basically a round table discussion about tech stuff. They brought up a theory that Microsoft (ans some extent Yahoo and Google) knew Toshiba (HDDVD) was going to lose, so they invested enough money (and having Xbox360 installed with it) to keep it going as long as possible. They reason, they believe that Movie Downloads in HD quality will win in the long run. Microsoft/yahoo/google has alot invested in Movie downloads. There are sites like HULU, Netflix, and others that you can stream HD movies to your computer or TV set. Yes there may be people out there who want the actual copies, but rentals will be big. Part of this is included in Comcast and there On demand gig. You can get HD movies from there for a cable fee and or movie rental. Thats why comcast is so opposed to bitorret sites, but only for the movies.

Archived