Black Crowes/Warpaint review

ArmsofAtlas

Got it. :) Well worth the wait. :thumbsup: I can't wait for April 9th to see it live.

Here's their setlist from last night, pardon the caps:

SUNDAY, MARCH 2, 2008

STARLAND - SAYREVILLE, NJ

GOODBYE DAUGHTERS 0F THE REVOLUTION

WALK BELIEVER WALK

OH JOSEPHINE

EVERGREEN

WEE WHO SEE THE DEEP

LOCUST STREET

MOVIN' ON DOWN THE LINE

WOUNDED BIRD

GOD'S GOT IT

THERE'S GOLD IN THEM HILLS

WHOA MULE

BREAK

POOR ELIJAH - TRIBUTE TO ROBERT JOHNSON (DELANEY & BONNIE)

JEALOUS AGAIN

WISER TIME

ROCKIN' CHAIR

BREAK

HEY GRANDMA (1st) (Moby Grape)

Here's their setlist from last night, pardon the caps:

SUNDAY, MARCH 2, 2008

STARLAND - SAYREVILLE, NJ

GOODBYE DAUGHTERS 0F THE REVOLUTION

WALK BELIEVER WALK

OH JOSEPHINE

EVERGREEN

WEE WHO SEE THE DEEP

LOCUST STREET

MOVIN' ON DOWN THE LINE

WOUNDED BIRD

GOD'S GOT IT

THERE'S GOLD IN THEM HILLS

WHOA MULE

BREAK

POOR ELIJAH - TRIBUTE TO ROBERT JOHNSON (DELANEY & BONNIE)

JEALOUS AGAIN

WISER TIME

ROCKIN' CHAIR

BREAK

HEY GRANDMA (1st) (Moby Grape)

^ So their playing the new songs in the same order of the album. The album lasts for 53 minutes so unless there's some serious jams going off it'll be a short concert (by the Crowes standards)!

^ So their playing the new songs in the same order of the album. The album lasts for 53 minutes so unless there's some serious jams going off it'll be a short concert (by the Crowes standards)!

I would imagine there is some jammin in the new songs. It's very loose and bluesy throughout. Maybe the most old school Crowes album to date, including the early stuff.

I would imagine there is some jammin in the new songs. It's very loose and bluesy throughout. Maybe the most old school Crowes album to date, including the early stuff.

I agree. :beer: I'll have a second listen tomorrow but so far I think it's pretty fine. :thumbsup:

I will buy it anyway i have never listened to critics if i had i would not be on a Zeppelin forum because they gave Zep many poor reviews . I feel the same way about movies. But back to the point i like the Black Crows and have all thier cds not all are stellar but most are pretty good.I attend to give them a good listen and judge for myself after all it is your own personal taste that matter. Not the taste of your parents or friends .

I will buy it anyway i have never listened to critics if i had i would not be on a Zeppelin forum because they gave Zep many poor reviews . I feel the same way about movies. But back to the point i like the Black Crows and have all thier cds not all are stellar but most are pretty good.I attend to give them a good listen and judge for myself after all it is your own personal taste that matter. Not the taste of your parents or friends .

True words alwizard03. It's a shame others don't share that philosophy.

http://altmusic.about.com/b/2008/02/26/rev...rowes-kinda.htm

Joey's Alternative Music Blog

From Joey Rubin,

Your Guide to Alternative Music.

FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!

Reviewing the new Black Crowes -- kinda.

As a music reviewer, it´s sometimes hard to keep up with every album coming down the pipeline. Sometimes you miss a big one and you don´t get to run the review. Or sometimes you run the review before the big one comes out in order to...not miss it. Right?

Unfortunately, that, or some dubious variation thereof, seems to be what has gone down over at the journalistically esteemed men´s issue magazine Maxim (ha! men´s issues! get it? it´s a joke.) Or so Folio mag blogger Dylan Stableford is reporting.

Stableford writes: "according to the Black Crowes...the magazine burned whatever credibility it had left by reviewing the band’s upcoming album without actually listening to it."

How do they know they didn´t listen to it? Well, the album hasn´t been released yet -- not even as a press preview.

Personally, I think the whole thing cheapens the entire practise of "reviewing" -- not to mention makes me wonder why Maxim is so intent on reviewing music to begin with. Isn´t the magazine´s main interest in exciting men´s...appetities? Why not just run a block of text anticipating (or dreading, even) the release?

Although, if anyone is reading Maxim for the critical perspective, I´d really be surprised.

Check out Stableford´s original post and the Black Crowes initial complaint, and then leave a comment below with your take on this whole...issue.

Archived