Record Collection Fetches $3M on EBay

JethroTull

I noticed this article whilst checking my stock prices.

Friday February 22, 10:08 am ET

Pa. Record Store Owner Sells Nearly 3M Vinyl Albums, Singles and CDs for $3M on EBay

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- A man says he can now retire because someone bought his massive record collection on eBay for the asking price -- $3 million.

A buyer from Ireland agreed to shell out $3,002,150 for the collection of nearly 3 million vinyl albums, singles and CDs, owner Paul Mawhinney said Thursday.

ADVERTISEMENT

The winning bidder has already deposited $300,000, and a bank has confirmed that he has enough money to buy the collection, Mawhinney said.

The price tag is one of the highest recorded by eBay Inc., said Karen Bard, a spokeswoman for the online auctioneer. A Gulfstream II jet once sold for $4.9 million, she said.

On Thursday, the 68-year-old Mawhinney closed Record Rama, which opened in Ross Township in 1968. He said he wants to spend time with his wife, three children and five grandchildren.

"I am legally blind. I had a couple of strokes a few years ago ... and it's time at my age to think about doing something else with my life," he said.

The collection includes more than 1 million albums, 1.5 million singles and 300,000 CDs, Mawhinney said.

Yeah, I actually read about this yesterday.

Totally not worth it. Music is a big part of my life, but I wouldn't spend 3 million on it even if I HAD that much money to blow. There's far greater things to use that money on than that. And besides, everyone knows that one can listen to 3 million albums during their lifetime. There's a lot of shit in there too, I'm sure of.

Yeah, I actually read about this yesterday.

Totally not worth it. Music is a big part of my life, but I wouldn't spend 3 million on it even if I HAD that much money to blow. There's far greater things to use that money on than that. And besides, everyone knows that one can listen to 3 million albums during their lifetime. There's a lot of shit in there too, I'm sure of.

My take is this. The buyer is from Ireland and probably a music store owner. Maybe selling the collection in Ireland with a more favorable exchange rate is worth the gamble. Maybe there is a shortage of this type of product in Ireland/Europe.

My take is this. The buyer is from Ireland and probably a music store owner. Maybe selling the collection in Ireland with a more favorable exchange rate is worth the gamble. Maybe there is a shortage of this type of product in Ireland/Europe.

It's more than just a record collection, its one hell of a buy. B)

It's more than just a record collection, its one hell of a buy. B)

It takes Money to make Money. I am happy for the record store owner. I hope he stays healthy enough to enjoy it, even if he's from Pittsburgh.

The purchaser is not worried about recouping his investment, hell make a profit.

He paid less than a $ a piece if he sells the for own Euro each he'll make killin'

Archived