I am now loving IN THROUGH THE OUT DOOR!

Tunderfoot77

Now I'll admit In Through the Out Door was always my least played of all the Zep albums I own. I even play CODA more than ITTOD! like some of the songs like especially Fool In the Rain, but I usually listen to it and the others from that album when I put on CD 4 from the box set. It wasn't until I heard Carouselambra after not hearing it for years on the radio that I really I've been playing the CD over and over. I now appreciate it John Paul Jones synth work on this album. The sound on "Carouselambra" and "In the Evening" was as good as any New Wave at the time and predated Van Halen's "Jump" , Robert's grief and heartbreak in "All My Love" and Southbound Suarez is just plain FUN!

You hit the nail on the head with your last statement. ITTOD is a "fun" album for the most part. That why it seemed like such a departure to me (and most others).

The music is less dark, less serious to me. It seems like they had a lot of fun in the studio making it and it comes through in the songs. Hot Dog was one of my favs, and Carouselambra captured so many different moods that it has always been my fav from that album.

I love ITTOD. I always seem to favour Zep's lesser known albums. (It's the reason I love Presence so much) Because the songs haven't been overplayed as much as others on, say, Zep II or IV.

'In The Evening' is one of my favourite Zep songs and can hold its own against other more well known songs. I especially love Jimmy's solo (I always thought it was an underrated solo)The way it slows down and then builds up again.

And as already mentioned 'Carouselambra' is such an interesting song with great lyrics (even though the vocals seem to get drowned out) And 'I'm Gonna Crawl' is SUPERB!!

I also love ITTOD and wouldn't change a thing with it, and even though it was a huge hit, it's still a complex and somewhat misunderstood album. It's Zeppelin showing extreme style changes and diversity from song to song. Every song is completely different, but they all worked and flowed into one another with style. It took everyone by surprise and showed that you couldn't pin these guys down if you tried. There's a lot to dig into, not their heaviest album, but it's a damn impressive selection of totally different songs that gel cohesively into a great, mature album. Plus all the different album covers and a minimum of liner notes added to Zep's mystery even more. ITTOD was ahead of it's time, a really unique release, it showed Zep were so much more than bombast, love the way Jones stepped up to the forefront as a writer.

Oh yes, I absolutely love ITTOD!! It is a different sound of what they have done in the past and I think that is cool. Hot Dog, Carouselrambra, In the Evening, South Bound Suarez, Fool in the Rain, All My Love, I'm Gonna Crawl....all great songs!! B)

Its a great album and it looks like it finally starts to get the recognition it deserves.

In the Evening, South Bound Saurez, Carouselambra, Im gonna crawl, All my Love rock!

I love South Bound Saurez. :D

Although it is a "fun" album, it also has the only Zeppelin song that can make me cry: "All My Love." This song is such a masterpiece, it's unbelievable. It's way up there on my list of favorite Zeppelin songs.

.........well said, all my love is genius, where band chases the fade is awesome, of all there albums ITTOD is the one i play the most...

I always loved this album and agree All My Love had some serious vibe and atmosphere to it that they hadn't had since Physical Graffitti and maybe even more. Even though Jimmy wasn't enthused with the album I loved the new sounds and techniques he came up with.

A treat for any fan of All My Love. Enjoy!

All My Love

Wow, Page is B-string bending all over that. Beautiful. He's just as good on the soft stuff as the harder stuff. And Bonzo is doing tasty fills all over that, as well as Plant singing great. I would've loved hearing South Bound Saurez at the O2 with Jones pumping on that piano.

I just can't get really into this album. There are a few really decent songs on it, but I just don't like the overall feel. Of course I would listen to it over most other non-Zeppelin albums any day of the week, but that's besides the point. Even their "worst" album is miles better than most acts' best albums.

One of my friends told me this is favorite because it's so different.

I think why some fans don't love it as much is that it was the last one recorded with the band together and it was not the usual Led Zeppelin hard rock music. Fans just didn't like that that was the way the group ended musically in that synth vaguely disco style. Jimmy said in an interview he intended to go back to basics with the rock sound for the next album but John Bonham suddenly died. If ITTOD had not been their final one I think people would like it more.

This one shows that the band was ready to change with the times without losing their Zeppelinness. I think they would have continued to be popular and make good albums, although maybe in a softer, "adult" vein. They were sure sounding better than the Who at this same point.

Well it's purely a matter of opinion, and I do like ITTOD, but I'd take the best moments of the Who's two early 80s albums (Eminence Front, You Better You Bet, The Quiet One, etc) over most of ITTOD.

Archived