How does Soundboard recordings get out

Pb Derigable

Im sure this could be located in the live forum, but it is a newbie?. How does the Soundboard recording of zep's concerts get out. Are they sold, is jimmy secretly letting them go, are they stolen. Now alot of people may have opinions on this, but i would like an example.

Im sure this could be located in the live forum, but it is a newbie?. How does the Soundboard recording of zep's concerts get out. Are they sold, is jimmy secretly letting them go, are they stolen. Now alot of people may have opinions on this, but i would like an example.

I've always wondered about this as well...my guess would be that the individual(s) running the soundboards would be the culprit...just a stab, though...

I know Jimmy had a slew of recordings stolen from his home in the 80's, which then wound up out in the market. That's where a lot of the soundboards came from, as I understand it.

That may be true...but I was buying SB recordings in the 70's...

That may be true...but I was buying SB recordings in the 70's...

Which soundboard recording, because in the thread about whats better Eddie vs. Badgeholders. I stated that i thought soundboards where a new deal, and i mean new in the last 25 years not in the seventies. I could be wrong?

Which soundboard recording, because in the thread about whats better Eddie vs. Badgeholders. I stated that i thought soundboards where a new deal, and i mean new in the last 25 years not in the seventies. I could be wrong?

Yep, SB recordings were out in the 70's. Box sets of great quality recordings. Elaborate disks that sound awesome. I was buying from 1975 great boots of shows...sometimes the band wasn't in great form though. Seattle '73 when Robert was sick but sang anyway was horrible!

None of the LA Forum shows have complete soundboards, I don't believe. Blueberry Hill (70) was audience. 75 and 77 were audience recordings from Mike Millard. What I've heard from 71, 72 and 73 aren't soundboard, either.

I believe I recall hearing the Destroyer show (4-27-77 in Cleveland) was the first soundboard to surface, n'est pas? Not counting the BBC shows, obviously.

None of the LA Forum shows have complete soundboards, I don't believe. Blueberry Hill (70) was audience. 75 and 77 were audience recordings from Mike Millard. What I've heard from 71, 72 and 73 aren't soundboard, either.

I believe I recall hearing the Destroyer show (4-27-77 in Cleveland) was the first soundboard to surface, n'est pas? Not counting the BBC shows, obviously.

Yes, i belive you are right. I always heard it was the first soundboard.

None of those are SBs as far as I know.

Well, you may be right - but I gotta tell ya, the recordings I have might just as well be SB's...they are that good. I got a '71 or '72 LA Forum that sounds like you are right in front of the band! Perfect recording....Plant intro's STH for the first time.

Seattle '73 is also great sound, but like I said, Plant had a terrible cold and he was off all night.

Seattle '77 is also a very good recording.

Badgeholders w/ Keith Moon on drums is very good.

Well, you may be right - but I gotta tell ya, the recordings I have might just as well be SB's...they are that good. I got a '71 or '72 LA Forum that sounds like you are right in front of the band! Perfect recording....Plant intro's STH for the first time.

Seattle '73 is also great sound, but like I said, Plant had a terrible cold and he was off all night.

Seattle '77 is also a very good recording.

Badgeholders w/ Keith Moon on drums is very good.

Seattle '73 was eventually released on a soundboard recording in the early 90's. It is not complete, but there's a large chunk of the show available. Sound is very clean, though a bit flat. The better of the audience tapes captures the ambience better.

And a lot of those Millard tapes, particularly LTTE, were confused for soundboards. He recorded some Stones shows there as well in 1975, and they sound downright professional. LTTE is better than most soundboard recordings I've heard.

Seattle '73 was eventually released on a soundboard recording in the early 90's. It is not complete, but there's a large chunk of the show available. Sound is very clean, though a bit flat. The better of the audience tapes captures the ambience better.

And a lot of those Millard tapes, particularly LTTE, were confused for soundboards. He recorded some Stones shows there as well in 1975, and they sound downright professional. LTTE is better than most soundboard recordings I've heard.

Thanks...maybe that's where they came from! Dude, these are great recordings! Very well done, I might have mistaken them for SB's.

Thanks...maybe that's where they came from! Dude, these are great recordings! Very well done, I might have mistaken them for SB's.

If you're not familiar with Mike "The Mic" Millard, he's quite a story. He would fake being handicapped so he could come into the arena in a wheelchair, and would hide his recording equipment in the wheelchair. He didn't do his recordings for release or bootlegs, they were for himself and his friends. He was pissed when Listen To This Eddie came out, because he knew that a friend he'd given a copy to must have sold out. From then on, he would "mark" the copies he gave out in some way, like dropping the volume down for a second at a certain point of the tape, then would log what "mark" he put on what tape. So that if it ever showed up on bootleg, he would know who sold it. Not much is known about him, but it's thought that he committed suicide in the 90's and his family has all of his tapes, though it's also thought that he erased many before his death.

Not much is known about him, but it's thought that he committed suicide in the 90's and his family has all of his tapes, though it's also thought that he erased many before his death.

Yes. As I understand it, his parents have insisted on leaving his room just the way it was when he died so it's impossible to know what he may have done to his tapes. His folks

won't allow anyone access to the tapes or anything else.

Edit: Here's to Mike Millard. He sure knew how to tape a show! :beer:

Yes. As I understand it, his parents have insist on leaving his room just the way it was when he died so it's impossible to know what he may have done to his tapes. His folks

won't allow anyone access to the tapes or anything else.

Wow, what a sad story.

If you're not familiar with Mike "The Mic" Millard, he's quite a story. He would fake being handicapped so he could come into the arena in a wheelchair, and would hide his recording equipment in the wheelchair. He didn't do his recordings for release or bootlegs, they were for himself and his friends. He was pissed when Listen To This Eddie came out, because he knew that a friend he'd given a copy to must have sold out. From then on, he would "mark" the copies he gave out in some way, like dropping the volume down for a second at a certain point of the tape, then would log what "mark" he put on what tape. So that if it ever showed up on bootleg, he would know who sold it. Not much is known about him, but it's thought that he committed suicide in the 90's and his family has all of his tapes, though it's also thought that he erased many before his death.

wow!

what a story.. thanks for the info.. really appreciated as i was beginning to wonder who he was as the thread went on.. ta!

Thanks for posting that story about Mike Millard, mattmc.

As for the Cleveland 77 soundboard, the rumor is that Zeppelin had recorded a copy of that show to be played at venues in lieu of a soundcheck. In other words, that tape was piped through the arenas they played from May to July '77 rather than the band actually showing up and running through a few songs to get the right audio levels for the sound system/board guys.

As for the Cleveland 77 soundboard, the rumor is that Zeppelin had recorded a copy of that show to be played at venues in lieu of a soundcheck. In other words, that tape was piped through the arenas they played from May to July '77 rather than the band actually showing up and running through a few songs to get the right audio levels for the sound system/board guys.

Never heard that one before. Can't say I believe it for a second. Interesting, though.

Archived