Bonzo's at his best on?

boogie

Definitely Achilles Last Stand, In My Time Of Dying, When The Levee Breaks, and Kashmir.

Carouslembra is f'in bad ass too. In The Light, Sick Again, and Candy Store Rock ain't nothing to sneeze at either. Bonzo is super heavy on Darlene and Walter's Walk too. He sounds like a 700 pound ape hitting those drums on Walter's Walk as well as Wearing And Tearing. He really makes other drummers sound like mary f'in poppins. It so hard to pick just a few, there's also that smooth Fool In The Rain shuffle and then that killer hi-hat and kick drum action on South Bound Saurez. He's also CRAZY on the HTWWW versions of Black Dog and Since I've Been Loving You.

Well i think Poor Tom. It's the same beat, but each part sounds different from each other. even the bass drum sounds different between each triplet and they are all spaced different. and he does it for the whole song. unless it's a loop then my answer is The wanton song. Now thats tight.

Well i think Poor Tom. It's the same beat, but each part sounds different from each other. even the bass drum sounds different between each triplet and they are all spaced different. and he does it for the whole song. unless it's a loop then my answer is The wanton song. Now thats tight.

agreed love the bass drum triplets at the begining

for me, it's no question, the studio version of achilles last stand. he's in top form. any arguements?

Sorry to be the one around here to argue, but yeah, argue I shall. For sure, 'Achilles Last Stand' has powerful drumming. But the album that Bonham demonstrated the greatest skill in terms of both raw power and technical finesse, is the first album.

Personally, the song that he does best that combines both power and finess is "Good Times Bad Times". I bet you didn't see that coming. The next best song, IMO is "How Many More Times".

Have another listen to "Good Times Bad Times". What is particularly outstanding about this song is the way Bonham does this intricate double kick pattern. You don't hear another Zeppelin song that matches it. For sure, it has the raw, thunderous power as do many other Zeppelin songs, but no song has such a perfect balance and power and intricate skill.

Listen to also the way the song starts, with Bonham starting off with a simple drum pattern with Jimmy's first chords, and as the chords are repeated, Bonham adds a classy little extra to his drum pattern with each chord repitition.

It just oozes class and sophisitication. Nope, this is his best drumming song.

Anyone care to argue? I bet heaps of you will. Lol.

^Good point about the playing on the first album. They never recorded bonham like that on the rest of the records, rather didnt get that exact sound. It would be interesting to hear a song like -black dog with a crisper studio sound like that. I think john bonham was at this best on every song and tour actually. I've read that jimmy hears things today that he may have done different on record. The only thing with bonham that i can think of, is kashmir falling apart on the zurich 80 show, which is baffling. But bonham is such a key element to every song, sometimes i'm just listening to his playing and everything else is almost in the background.

Achilles last stand and in my time of dying are stunning...but he is so great on misty mountain hop and fool in the rain too. His presence is so strong in all the songs.

...moby dick and bonzo's montreux presumably need to be on the list somewhere as well

I was just about to say how pleased I was that no-one had said Moby Dick, because I don't think it shows Bonham at anything like his best! :D

For my money Bonham (heck, any drummer) shows the best of what he can do inside the arrangement of a song - moving the music, controlling the tempo, colouring in behind the other musicians & entering into a dialogue with them. Drum solos miss out on that.

(Having said that :huh: I would put Bonzo's Montreaux on the list, simply because it's a composition rather than a drum solo.)

All the songs named in the thread so far have great drumming (especially GTBT) but I'll add Misty Mountain Hop, because the fills are wonderful, & The Ocean, because I love the way he flows in to the swing beat for the ride-out section.

I was just about to say how pleased I was that no-one had said Moby Dick, because I don't think it shows Bonham at anything like his best! :D

For my money Bonham (heck, any drummer) shows the best of what he can do inside the arrangement of a song - moving the music, controlling the tempo, colouring in behind the other musicians & entering into a dialogue with them. Drum solos miss out on that.

(Having said that :huh: I would put Bonzo's Montreaux on the list, simply because it's a composition rather than a drum solo.)

All the songs named in the thread so far have great drumming (especially GTBT) but I'll add Misty Mountain Hop, because the fills are wonderful, & The Ocean, because I love the way he flows in to the swing beat for the ride-out section.

Bonzo's Montreaux was a track that was put together digitally by Jimmy after Bonzo's death. I don't know how much of the track was done by Bonzo's original recording and how much was added, but because it isn't really him live I don't know if it counts.

The answer my friends is - everything.

I'm sure that we'd all nominate all the members of LZ as best ever on their particular field. Indeed, there was a poll some time ago to form the world's best super group and the members of LZ won in every category. But, I think it's easiest to prove with Bonzo - he really was peerless.

Bonzo's Montreaux was a track that was put together digitally by Jimmy after Bonzo's death. I don't know how much of the track was done by Bonzo's original recording and how much was added, but because it isn't really him live I don't know if it counts.

It was a track that they had worked on together that Jimmy finished after Bonzo died. It wasn't put together "digitally" (c'mon - it came out in 1982), they added the harmonizer on to normally recoreded drums to give the sound effects.

As for whether it "counts" because it might not be "live" enough, well I guess we can't rate any of Jimmy's solos, because they were overdubed too.

"Stairway to Heaven? Totally bogus - he's not playing all of that - he overdubs man!"

:P;)

Archived