what's jimmy doing?

boogie

for us non guitar players, after the bowing, he's above the frets, whats going on there? he seems to be doing something, and the sound changes, is it like a whamy bar of some sort?

Well, first off.. This is in the wrong section.

Think of it this way.. When you fret, the closer the fret is to the bridge, the higher the note. When he puts his hands closer to the bridge the note gets higher, and while bowing it, it makes a squeel.

BTW, your question was pretty vague, but I think this is what you are talking about..

for us non guitar players, after the bowing, he's above the frets, whats going on there? he seems to be doing something, and the sound changes, is it like a whamy bar of some sort?

To my knowledge, Jimmy has never used a whammy bar.

A tremolo arm, tremolo bar, vibrato bar, whammy bar, or wang bar is a lever attached to the bridge and/or the tailpiece of an electric guitar or archtop guitar to enable the player to quickly vary the tension and sometimes the length of the strings temporarily, changing the pitch to create a vibrato, portamento or pitch bend effect.

To my knowledge, Jimmy has never used a whammy bar.

A tremolo arm, tremolo bar, vibrato bar, whammy bar, or wang bar is a lever attached to the bridge and/or the tailpiece of an electric guitar or archtop guitar to enable the player to quickly vary the tension and sometimes the length of the strings temporarily, changing the pitch to create a vibrato, portamento or pitch bend effect.

I think I'll buy myself a dragon shirt.

• 1 year later...

If this is the part where he and Robert go up and then Jimmy waves one of his hands down as his other hand bends the string from behind the nut, then that is exactly what it is.

Archived