• Down by the Seaside
    • Bron-Y-Aur Stomp
    • Misty Mountain Hop
    • Ramble On
    • That's the Way
    • Over the Hills and Far Away
    • The Song Remains the Same
    • Other (specify)

When Zep came along, I never thought of their music as hippie music. I loved the fact that their sound was so different and wasn't hippie music. From the list of choices, though, Misty Mountain Hop would probably be the most hippie of the choices given because, as someone else noted, the lyrics are about hippyish things.

As for non-Zep hippie music, my choices would be "Rock n Roll Woman" (Buffalo Springfield) because my husband used to play this for me when we lived in LA and Marrakesh Express because during our early days together, my husband and I took "the train from Casablanca going south."

Geez, you're all more pedantic than I thought. I didn't say Zep was particularly hippie, and I'm not even particularly fond of hippies myself (ask a certain friend who made up an excuse to go home while we were standing in Borders one day near the New Age section just because she was sick of me ranting), I just thought it would be an interesting topic. And if you think I missed it, that's why the "specify" option is there. Gawd.

When Zep came along, I never thought of their music as hippie music. I loved the fact that their sound was so different and wasn't hippie music. From the list of choices, though, Misty Mountain Hop would probably be the most hippie of the choices given because, as someone else noted, the lyrics are about hippyish things.

As for non-Zep hippie music, my choices would be "Rock n Roll Woman" (Buffalo Springfield) because my husband used to play this for me when we lived in LA and Marrakesh Express because during our early days together, my husband and I took "the train from Casablanca going south."

This gives me the warm fuzzies, and I'm not even sure why. :hippy:

Heard a non-Zep one today, "Going Up the Country" by Canned Heat.

... I'm going, I'm going where the water tastes like wine

I'm going where the water tastes like wine

We can jump in the water, stay drunk all the time...

Dancin' Days beets it all...i meen robert even says live on the album "how the west was won" "this next one is about summer time and good things" first:summer time couldnt be any more hippie second: a lyric in the song is "ive got my flower ive got my power" if you dont get why that couldnt be any more hippie you need help

Dancin' Days beets it all...i meen robert even says live on the album "how the west was won" "this next one is about summer time and good things" first:summer time couldnt be any more hippie second: a lyric in the song is "ive got my flower ive got my power" if you dont get why that couldnt be any more hippie you need help

Yeah, I see your point, but I still never thought of that as a hippy song or them as a hippy band.

If you are talking Led Zeppelin only, then it is Going To California, otherwise;

Scott McKenzie: San Francisco (Be Sure To Wear Flowers In Your Hair).

I believe Zep jammed on it during Dazed & Confused in the US.

Almost about the same thing if you think about it?

There are so many, but tonight these are the ones that come to mind:Down by the Sea,Led Zeppelin-The Rover,Led Zeppelin-Long way Home,Dan Fogelberg-Get Together,The Youngbloods . Add-In The Light- Led Zeppelin

• 2 weeks later...

Of the Zeppelin songs, I'd say Going to California. Misty Mountain Hop has hippy lyrics, but is a little too loud and hard rocking than what I'd associate with hippies.

GTC has a mellow, soft tone and an accoustic guitar. You've got lyrics like "smoked my stuff and drank all my wine" and "someone told me there's a girl out there with love in her eyes and flowers in her hair".

The true Hippie movement died with Charles Manson killing Sharon Tate in 1969, and the deaths of Hendrix, Joplin in 1970 .

Zep came on the scene a little too late for the full swing of Hippiedom. Yeah, it continued, but maybe by The Grateful Dead.

Pyschedlic music, flower power music....I don't classify Zep in those categories. Maybe Going To California would qualify.

Woodstock by CSN&Y is a great hippie song in my opinion.

• 1 month later...
"Almost cut my hair"--CSNY

"Sunshine superman"--Donovan

"Psychotic reaction"--The Count 5

Ooooh. Good song :)

I was gonna say Friday on My Mind, any number of Donovan songs. Have you Seen the Saucers by Jefferson Airplane.

The true Hippie movement died with Charles Manson killing Sharon Tate in 1969, and the deaths of Hendrix, Joplin in 1970 .

Actually, that a public misconception, plus it sounds good in the media. The hippies did the official "funeral" a while before on Haight Ashbury, and the place had been filling w/ crack-dealers and whore before that even went down. The spirit of hippie died before 70, no doubt about it.

Archived