Bron-Yr-Aur Request

MHD

I would like to know all the LZ songs that were written at/inspired by Bron-Yr-Aur. I am hoping to compile a definitive list of songs for my listening pleasure that are connected to this very special place. Can anyone help?

Led Zeppelin songs which can be traced to Plant and Page's time at Bron-Yr-Aur in 1970 include "Over the Hills and Far Away" and "The Crunge" (both from Houses of the Holy), "The Rover", "Bron-Yr-Aur" and "Down By The Seaside" (from Physical Graffiti), "Poor Tom" (from Coda) and three they actually used on Led Zeppelin III: "Friends", "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp" and "That's the Way". There were also two songs recorded, called "Another Way To Wales" and "I Wanna Be Her Man", which never found their way onto an official Led Zeppelin album.[1] A primitive recording of the latter of these can however be heard on bootleg label Antrabata's studio outtakes sessions.

When onstage for Page and Plant's Unledded reunion in 1994, Plant announced to the audience that Page's daughter, Scarlet Page, was conceived "about half an hour" after "That's The Way" was written at Bron-Yr-Aur.

...from Wikipedia

Sarah I have been there so many times, it is a beautiful cottage, but sadly it is changing,remember I wrote to tell you, somewhere in my collection I have a picture of me standing by the front door, there was a horseshoe just above, as well, I think most of the songs on zeppelin 111 were written round the camp fire outside, because the view there is the best ever, of the valley below, from the old railway station in the town of Machynlleth, you can see the little road that leads to the cottage. Led Zeppelin used to make the treck down there to the little town twice a day to shower and shop and have a beer, welsh I should think...................

Sarah I have been there so many times, it is a beautiful cottage, but sadly it is changing,remember I wrote to tell you, somewhere in my collection I have a picture of me standing by the front door, there was a horseshoe just above, as well, I think most of the songs on zeppelin 111 were written round the camp fire outside, because the view there is the best ever, of the valley below, from the old railway station in the town of Machynlleth, you can see the little road that leads to the cottage. Led Zeppelin used to make the treck down there to the little town twice a day to shower and shop and have a beer, welsh I should think...................

hi peppermint

i have so wanted to visit bron-yr-aur for so long now.is it now privately owned/inhabited.is there any chance of you putting up a few photos of it?

david

hi peppermint

i have so wanted to visit bron-yr-aur for so long now.is it now privately owned/inhabited.is there any chance of you putting up a few photos of it?

david

I do have a lot of copies of various pictures of Bron yr Aur, and all the other welsh sites,where Led Zeppelin have had connections, if you PM me I will tell you how I got them, yes it is privately owned,it is sad to see how it has changed now, with its extension, and the old wooden windows replaced with plastic horrible ones, when |I saw it - it was so like stepping back in time. :D

Trying again... here are some pix from the trip my husband and I took last August. Our walk to Bron-Yr-Aur was definitely one of the highlights, the whole area is beautiful, and the people are great.

The day we were there, they were pouring the cement footing for a wind turbine to generate electricity... it's the end of the gas light era there.

On the way up...

1305762285_07bb8b12b4.jpg

The cottage, undergoing renovations:

1305764041_409d7b5013.jpg

Here comes the cement:

1305767057_4d52130603.jpg

The view overlooking the valley from the hill, a steam train is just leaving Machynlleth in the distance:

1305769627_dd366a7182.jpg

Trying again... here are some pix from the trip my husband and I took last August. Our walk to Bron-Yr-Aur was definitely one of the highlights, the whole area is beautiful, and the people are great.

The day we were there, they were pouring the cement footing for a wind turbine to generate electricity... it's the end of the gas light era there.

On the way up...

1305762285_07bb8b12b4.jpg

The cottage, undergoing renovations:

1305764041_409d7b5013.jpg

Here comes the cement:

1305767057_4d52130603.jpg

The view overlooking the valley from the hill, a steam train is just leaving Machynlleth in the distance:

1305769627_dd366a7182.jpg

Nice photos SunChild..it's a pity that Bron-Yr-Aur is slowly losing its olde world charm. The view is undeniably beautiful.

Thanks. Pretty sure they do know. Although the wind turbine guy was a bit surprised to find two Americans standing in the yard, which was fun (he was expecting the concrete delivery, instead). The other young man knew exactly why we were there and was very pleasant to us.

It's good they're fixing it up, I think, preserves it for the future.

On the old board, we had a discussion about how at least now they can blast Zeppelin from the cottage... :)

He the owner is a grumpy retired vicar, who does not like people going there,

but it is a Zeppelin site, as is Pennal, a few miles away south, and aberdovey,

towards the north Dolgoch falls, Corris,the slate Quarry. People will still go up there

that will not stop them. The cottage, sadly will never look the same now.

He the owner is a grumpy retired vicar, who does not like people going there,

but it is a Zeppelin site, as is Pennal, a few miles away south, and aberdovey,

towards the north Dolgoch falls, Corris,the slate Quarry. People will still go up there

that will not stop them. The cottage, sadly will never look the same now.

I know many fans want to visit it in reference to a piece of the Zep history, but it is his private property and I can understand his not being thrilled with strangers wandering around and knocking on his door. Just because it's related to Zep doesn't make it open to the world if someone lives there IMO.

I know many fans want to visit it in reference to a piece of the Zep history, but it is his private property and I can understand his not being thrilled with strangers wandering around and knocking on his door. Just because it's related to Zep doesn't make it open to the world if someone lives there IMO.

Yes. He's retiring and moving in permanently, too, which is the reason for the renovations and electricity. Having strangers wandering around where you live can't be too fun; it's different if noone's living there.

Thing is, it's not easy to get to. Fan visits will probably always be self-limiting.

He should go with the flow and put up a box to collect donations for his church... :D

Archived