Massive gear purchase

ArmsofAtlas

The Marshall cost $1999 off musiciansfriend. To buy it used is virtually impossible, as they just came out, days before I ordered it. No place around here had it to try and haggle with them, even a guitar center.

The shop has the Les Paul marked $3399, but they price match mail order, and I found it for $3200 on sweetwater.com. I am hopin he can give it to me for the tax free price that the site offers, but if not I'm gonna try to get some extras(strap locks, fancy strap) thrown in the deal. I may offer him a little less, since I am payin cash for it, I'm just not sure how much he will deal.

Well I dont have a clue what state or city you are in but I can pretty much assure you I can walk out of the House of Guitars in Rochester NY with a brand new Standard LP for well under $3000. But, I know what they retail at. Guitar Center here has a 50 watt Marshall brand new for around $550. But I dont know the model number or anything. NEVER give them what they are asking. They are jacked up. Make him a lower offer. I know you want it but dont give in easy. Dont know what your options are or how far you have to travel to stores but you can always bargain.

Well I dont have a clue what state or city you are in but I can pretty much assure you I can walk out of the House of Guitars in Rochester NY with a brand new Standard LP for well under $3000. But, I know what they retail at. Guitar Center here has a 50 watt Marshall brand new for around $550. But I dont know the model number or anything. NEVER give them what they are asking. They are jacked up. Make him a lower offer. I know you want it but dont give in easy. Dont know what your options are or how far you have to travel to stores but you can always bargain.

I doubt its the same Marshall. I maybe coulda shopped around and found a little better price, but it was worth it to me to get it now, than to save maybe a couple hundred bucks, by waitin to by used.

What model was the Marshall you were lookin at. The JCM's are probably clearanced now, since Marshall has the new line.

Could be the store can just give that gooda deals

Also, I'm not gettin a Standard, I'm gettin a Custom Shop Silverburst Les Paul Custom.... I have scoured the internet for a better price than that for a new one, and even used, and I've even found some for a good price, but for a bit of extra cash, I can play it and feel it and try it out, and KNOW exactly what I am getting.

I doubt you can get a Standard for 2k. Their prices have gone up quite a bit recently.

Here is the guitar I am gettin....

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/closeup/LPCSLBCH--Main

It has the bursted back, sides, neck.

wow a quote with nothing to contribute..classic spam

anyway ArmsofAtlas, congrats on the new toys!

I've always wanted a Marshall stack of my own. although living in an apartment...lol you see the problem.

When I play big gigs I rent one from a local guy who provides backline...he has around a dozen full stacks, everything from plexis to some of the more current stuff

wow a quote with nothing to contribute..classic spam

anyway ArmsofAtlas, congrats on the new toys!

I've always wanted a Marshall stack of my own. although living in an apartment...lol you see the problem.

When I play big gigs I rent one from a local guy who provides backline...he has around a dozen full stacks, everything from plexis to some of the more current stuff

He actually contributed, but did it inside the quote.

I actually got a combo. I dropped alotta money, and its gotta go where I go. I dont have a truck, so haulin a 4x12 is pretty undoable. Plus my combo has the big "cabinet style" handles on the sides.

I new I should have been one of those computer geeks. Fat, never shower, just fucking eat and spend all day on the PC. Then I wouldnt have made the mistake of putting my response in the box. Anyway, hows that new axe you lucky devil?? I envy you but my day is coming. And when it does ill post a pic. It shall either be a LP Standard Gold or a Taylor. I prefer the standard to the Custom because I like the silver better than the gold. Just my taste. Enjoy the LP and the Marshall you lucky devil. What I wouldnt give for 15 minutes on that gear.Ahh.

I actually haven't got it, yet. Sometime in the next week or so, I should be gettin a check. Pretty well, the instant that check clears, it's off to the guitar shop. I am finally gonna have some time to call the store today, maybe attempt to do some dealin. The Custom, I am after, has the chrome hardware. Thatsa must on all but a very select few LP's.

Another thing is, new Standards are chambered. I dunno about anybody else, but when I am playin a LP, I wanna feel it hangin on my neck. Just somethin about a big heavy Paul, I guess. My back will prolly cuss me later.

I actually have considered leasin the LP and Marshall, to help pay for them;)

ya, the new pauls are chambered, i dont know if i like them or not, im like you, i like to feel the guitar there, makes more apart of you instead of a instrument hangin from your shoulder, but chambers will be better 4 ya later, but hey, i guess when you are an old man, you can get a chambered 1, then no complaints

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got my Silverburst. It's freakin amazing. Flawless craftsmanship, and I have looked it over about a hundred times.

This thing sounds remarkably different from my Standard. That was my chief concern.

Pics will be up soon for those interested, maybe in a new thread.

Ahh. You have your new baby! Congrats! I envy you. But Im afraid to ask what you paid. Well I guess it matters not as long as you are happy. I know the feeling. Had an 82 Lp and sold it. But Ill get a new one soon. Hope you enjoy it. Now dont mess with the bridge and such unless you really know what you are doing. Let the experts do it if necessary. Im sure you have a Marshall to go with it. Blast away and enjoy! Ill suffer with this fucking Epiphone for a bit longer and dream. Glad to see you have your baby!!! Rock on!!

Ahh. You have your new baby! Congrats! I envy you. But Im afraid to ask what you paid. Well I guess it matters not as long as you are happy. I know the feeling. Had an 82 Lp and sold it. But Ill get a new one soon. Hope you enjoy it. Now dont mess with the bridge and such unless you really know what you are doing. Let the experts do it if necessary. Im sure you have a Marshall to go with it. Blast away and enjoy! Ill suffer with this fucking Epiphone for a bit longer and dream. Glad to see you have your baby!!! Rock on!!

I paid the goin rate for a "good" Gibson these days. Right around 3k.

I do have a Marshall to go with it, and it sounds pretty freakin dandy.

Definitely not doin any major adjustments, but it's easy to set up a LP, for me, I'll eventually take it somewhere when it needs truss rod adjustment.

I paid the goin rate for a "good" Gibson these days. Right around 3k.

I do have a Marshall to go with it, and it sounds pretty freakin dandy.

Definitely not doin any major adjustments, but it's easy to set up a LP, for me, I'll eventually take it somewhere when it needs truss rod adjustment.

Well my wife has said my day is coming soon. Now I have the tough decisionn of getting a LP or getting a fine acoustic/electric. Perhaps a Taylor. There are advantages to acoustics of course. But I do want both but will only be able to get one for now.

Well my wife has said my day is coming soon. Now I have the tough decisionn of getting a LP or getting a fine acoustic/electric. Perhaps a Taylor. There are advantages to acoustics of course. But I do want both but will only be able to get one for now.

All I can say is, we have some pretty kick ass wives. Mine practically begged me to get my new amp and guitar.

My advice would be to go for the LP. I have fallen in love with the neck on the new one.

It's very slim, but rounded on the lower frets, but the 12th fret and higher it really flattens out. Specwise it's supposed just like my standard(60s slim taper), but they couldn't be more different. The custom's neck get's almost strat like.

All I can say is, we have some pretty kick ass wives. Mine practically begged me to get my new amp and guitar.

My advice would be to go for the LP. I have fallen in love with the neck on the new one.

It's very slim, but rounded on the lower frets, but the 12th fret and higher it really flattens out. Specwise it's supposed just like my standard(60s slim taper), but they couldn't be more different. The custom's neck get's almost strat like.

Well I certainly want the LP standard. Ill settle for a lower watt Marshall. You dont need to knock the walls down with a stack unless you are playing Madison Square Garden. I really love the Gold color. Its like going into battle with these salesmen though. They all think they are fucking Page or Clapton because they have a job selling guitars here at the big stores. I am taking Guitar Center off my list. They are pushy and pricy. Its tough to find anything good used in adds. Ive looked. I think It will cost me about $1700 for a standard. Maybe a hundred or two higher at most.

Well I certainly want the LP standard. Ill settle for a lower watt Marshall. You dont need to knock the walls down with a stack unless you are playing Madison Square Garden. I really love the Gold color. Its like going into battle with these salesmen though. They all think they are fucking Page or Clapton because they have a job selling guitars here at the big stores. I am taking Guitar Center off my list. They are pushy and pricy. Its tough to find anything good used in adds. Ive looked. I think It will cost me about $1700 for a standard. Maybe a hundred or two higher at most.

I havn't heard many good things about the new standard production chambered Standards, so unless you find a diamond in the rough, you prolly won't get your money's worth. After a/b-ing some production models to the custom shop stuff, I say it's definitely worth the extra money.

I can't imagine gettin a new Standard for $1700. They are listed for $2500 in catalogs, which is only 400 less than an unchambered custom shop. I would opt for and R8, R9, or R0, depending on your neck and finish preference.

I havn't heard many good things about the new standard production chambered Standards, so unless you find a diamond in the rough, you prolly won't get your money's worth. After a/b-ing some production models to the custom shop stuff, I say it's definitely worth the extra money.

I can't imagine gettin a new Standard for $1700. They are listed for $2500 in catalogs, which is only 400 less than an unchambered custom shop. I would opt for and R8, R9, or R0, depending on your neck and finish preference.

The catalogs are always jacked up. There is a store here called the House of Guitars. The owners are millionaires. You can deal with them. 4 yrs ago they said I could walk out with a LP Custom, brand new, for $1700. And they were retailing at over $3000 then. I know I can get one low $2000's at worst. Bot not at Guitar Center. I dont know where you are or what stores you have. Its differant from place to place.

The catalogs are always jacked up. There is a store here called the House of Guitars. The owners are millionaires. You can deal with them. 4 yrs ago they said I could walk out with a LP Custom, brand new, for $1700. And they were retailing at over $3000 then. I know I can get one low $2000's at worst. Bot not at Guitar Center. I dont know where you are or what stores you have. Its differant from place to place.

I was just pointin out, that if you can get a standard for 1700, then you should be able to get a deal on a slightly higher priced, much better LP.

Adam Jones from Tool Uses the same Guitar. in fact he owns 5 of them, but i believe there the early versions of it.

From the Wiki.

Adam Jones famously uses the Silverburst Les Paul Customs made from 1978-1985, of which he owns 5, confirmed by the cover of Guitar World Magazine, the June 2006 issue which features Jones standing with 4 Silverburst Les Pauls behind him and one he is holding. His main Les Paul has a different headstock inlay, it appears to be a blue mirror, which covers the usual split diamond inlay Gibson Les Paul Customs are known for. Gibson discontinued using this finish after complaints about the metalflaking changing the tone of the guitar, however Jones says that this altered tone is part of the draw for him. The bridge pickups have been swapped for Seymour Duncan pickups, which are widely rumored to be the SH-4 JB model or a Seymour Duncan Trembucker, but not confirmed by Jones. Jones also uses a Natural finish Les Paul, for "Prison Sex" and "Parabol/Parabola", which are in BADGBE and BEDGBE tunings respectively. These tunings incorporate the lowest strings of a baritone or 7-string tuning while retaining the four or five higher strings of standard E tuning. According to their website Jones has also used a Fernandes Nomad to "write songs" and "warm up". Jones has recorded using a Gibson SG, but does not use one live. Although rare, Adam has used Acoustic guitars for Tool's music. On the song Disposition, an acoustic guitar can be heard. Jones describes it as a Guild. An Acoustic guitar is also used in the hidden track, on Tool's Salival album, called Maynard's Dick. This is a mix of both Electric and acoustic guitars and Tool has been known to play it live on occasion. The song Intension from 10,000 Days, is rumored to have been recorded using a Telecaster, according to what Jones told one of his close friends.

Im not sure if you cared or not.

Adam Jones from Tool Uses the same Guitar. in fact he owns 5 of them, but i believe there the early versions of it.

From the Wiki.

Adam Jones famously uses the Silverburst Les Paul Customs made from 1978-1985, of which he owns 5, confirmed by the cover of Guitar World Magazine, the June 2006 issue which features Jones standing with 4 Silverburst Les Pauls behind him and one he is holding. His main Les Paul has a different headstock inlay, it appears to be a blue mirror, which covers the usual split diamond inlay Gibson Les Paul Customs are known for. Gibson discontinued using this finish after complaints about the metalflaking changing the tone of the guitar, however Jones says that this altered tone is part of the draw for him. The bridge pickups have been swapped for Seymour Duncan pickups, which are widely rumored to be the SH-4 JB model or a Seymour Duncan Trembucker, but not confirmed by Jones. Jones also uses a Natural finish Les Paul, for "Prison Sex" and "Parabol/Parabola", which are in BADGBE and BEDGBE tunings respectively. These tunings incorporate the lowest strings of a baritone or 7-string tuning while retaining the four or five higher strings of standard E tuning. According to their website Jones has also used a Fernandes Nomad to "write songs" and "warm up". Jones has recorded using a Gibson SG, but does not use one live. Although rare, Adam has used Acoustic guitars for Tool's music. On the song Disposition, an acoustic guitar can be heard. Jones describes it as a Guild. An Acoustic guitar is also used in the hidden track, on Tool's Salival album, called Maynard's Dick. This is a mix of both Electric and acoustic guitars and Tool has been known to play it live on occasion. The song Intension from 10,000 Days, is rumored to have been recorded using a Telecaster, according to what Jones told one of his close friends.

Im not sure if you cared or not.

He actually only has 3. The one he is holding, and the other 2 are copied pasted.

The one near me, the sales guys, most young punks that think they can play like Jimmy Page, circle you like vultures waiting for the kill. They dont let you just look without acting like a car salesman.

I was talking about the magazine Guitar World (and/or Player) not the store guitar center. But you are right about them. For me, they have 12 guitar "techs" but not one guy who knows anything about basses. The drum guys is usually okay. There is a Sam Ask right next door to my guitar center, so i usually stop by both. Sam Ask seems a little less bother some, but the bass section is off in a corner, so you can basically do anything you want.

I still like my small guitar shop a block away. He only sells used and non brand names, but you can ask him a thousand questions if you just buy guitar strings. He even let me play an Alembic bass two years ago. The guy didn't come back to pick it up after a small repair. Stereo guitar jack wasn't working. He kept it a year, put an ad in the paper, like a lien, and sold it on the internet for 12,000. It had exotic woods and the LED Lights. It was fucking awsome. Best looking, sounding, and playing bass i ever saw. I would never played it if he told me how much it was before hand.

The new bass I may buy ( Tobacco Fender 24 Jazz, maybe the Cherry burst) range from $500 to $720 depending what kind of a case comes with it at all, and if it's a Chinese knock off of a Koren made guitar. Both Guitar Center and Sam Ask both have around the same price as the internet w/shipping. So Ill probably buy it at Guitar center/Sam ask, but I'm going to be real picky on the actual bass and ask for a hard case and strings at their price. which is $700. If not ill just order it from a small dealer so he can do the setup. I want to at least play the guitar first. I don't think they overprice basses as much as guitars, but most fenders are overpriced to begin with.

Absolute must to play the guitar first. I learned the hard way when a late friend of mine and my ex strife pitched in and bought me a Les Paul Studio. (wanted another standard) but the point is, I found out years later that the neck was pitched wrong. An actual mistake by the Gibson company. so I traded it in at another dealer after my divorce and got an acoustic. I always wondered why even though it was in tune, when you played the chords the higher strings never sounded right. Pitched wrong. So they can make mistakes. Are you going to buy a 4 or 5 string??

I was going to say, two other people on this forum had the same exact story!

I would like a 5 string, but trying to find the right strings for a EADGC is tuff since nobody i know uses a EADGC tunning, they all used BEADG, which the B is too low for my taste and even a 35in scale sounds like the string is too loose even though its tune.(the one i want is only 34in and a 36in is needed) Even when i tune that B to an E The E sounds really deep to me and the C-string becomes unnatural in sounding and playing. There isn't much you can't do on a 4 that you can do on a 5. SO ill stick to 4 unless I find something i really like.

Archived