Massive gear purchase

ArmsofAtlas

"Most"? Well that depends who you ask doesn't it? ;)

FWIW most of the pros that I have known play Gibsons, Fenders, Gretschs etc and not PRS.

Maybe that's just around here. Anyway, it's not worth getting into an argument over, is it?

No. Not worth an argument. I also play Gibsons, Fenders and well no...I don't care for Gretsch... I also don't play a machine made, factory line PRS...so I don't know about them. If you look around, more and more, rock guitarists are choosing to play PRS guitars. There is a reason for that. Like Gibson and Fender, there are many different grades of quality.

My point was:

I'm not playing the under $2000 models. You take it from there. The Gibson reissues are a joke. Not worth the price for the quality, or lack thereof. IMHO. If you think they are, go buy the ridiculous Jimmy Page "Black Beauty" reissue for whatever dump truck load of cash they want for that. Come on.... it's just silly.

I did agree that it's a VERY personal choice. Playing the same guitar that your hero plays is cool. I'm just saying that I tried something different and it was pretty awesome!

2270303164_27e4f334d3_m.jpg

No. Not worth an argument. I also play Gibsons, Fenders and well no...I don't care for Gretsch... I also don't play a machine made, factory line PRS...so I don't know about them.

Alright, I'll take the troll bait. I don't know what PRS guitars you're playing but the are all machine made. They've been using CNC and robot shapers for years. Well back into the 80's. Their process is basically the same as American Fender, G&L and Gibson. Deal with it.

So can you get off your high horse now and let up that there are many of us who just hate those guitars?

I don't play a Les Paul because I want to look like Jimmy Page, I play one because I like it. If I wanted an overpriced CNC cut, machine buffed, candy coated mid life crisis guitar covered in birds with a 5 way switch numbered 1 to 10 I'll buy a PRS, can you deal with that and stop posting about this alleged superiority that exists in your mind with regards to PRS? Take 30 guitars from ten manufacturers and there will be stand outs in every bunch.

You want to talk the virtues of a PRS? Stop trolling and start a thread, everybody in this thread knows where you stand.

mediumTroll.gif

Alright, I'll take the troll bait. I don't know what PRS guitars you're playing but the are all machine made. They've been using CNC and robot shapers for years. Well back into the 80's. Their process is basically the same as American Fender, G&L and Gibson. Deal with it.

So can you get off your high horse now and let up that there are many of us who just hate those guitars?

I don't play a Les Paul because I want to look like Jimmy Page, I play one because I like it. If I wanted an overpriced CNC cut, machine buffed, candy coated mid life crisis guitar covered in birds with a 5 way switch numbered 1 to 10 I'll buy a PRS, can you deal with that and stop posting about this alleged superiority that exists in your mind with regards to PRS? Take 30 guitars from ten manufacturers and there will be stand outs in every bunch.

You want to talk the virtues of a PRS? Stop trolling and start a thread, everybody in this thread knows where you stand.

mediumTroll.gif

Troll? OK... You're being a little oversensitive, aren't you?

I play Les Pauls. I Love them. I have owned many. I was trying to relate that I have had a great response to the PRS that I recently added to my collection. The people at our shows are telling me that they love it and want me to play it more. I am known to play Les Pauls and people were upset that I started playing the PRS. They changed their tune. Nearly every one of them. I have a Hollowbody II, and I must admit that I don't know how they made it, but it sings. Was it made with a CNC cutter? Don't know.

My point is the same as yours. There are guys that say a Epiphone or Danelectro is the GREATEST GUITAR EVER MADE! Well.... to them it is. I'll give them that.

I guess that the fact that you hate PRS guitars is enough to negate any input I might have posted here.

My apologies.

I like mine to go up to ELEVEN! :D

I personally know a bunch of musicians who love the Paul reed smith. They still use humbuckers like the Les Paul. My guitarist loves the sound of a Les Paul, but he just like the feel of a PRS or what he uses a Jackson. I personally can't stand the site of a fender guitar, but i love the basses. I love Gibson's guitars, but the worse basses i ever played was Gibson's. So it's different stokes for different folks. The 9 different TV shows Ive seen making guitars are all CNC machined to some degree. All of them including the The Les Paul's. Now installing of frets and hardware maybe a different story? Im not sure if there is a big Market for complete custom guitars, but costom basses like Carl Thomson and Alembic are the only things ive seen complety hand made. But those basses are built complety diffent then anything else.

I personally know a bunch of musicians who love the Paul reed smith. They still use humbuckers like the Les Paul. My guitarist loves the sound of a Les Paul, but he just like the feel of a PRS or what he uses a Jackson. I personally can't stand the site of a fender guitar, but i love the basses. I love Gibson's guitars, but the worse basses i ever played was Gibson's. So it's different stokes for different folks. The 9 different TV shows Ive seen making guitars are all CNC machined to some degree. All of them including the The Les Paul's. Now installing of frets and hardware maybe a different story? Im not sure if there is a big Market for complete custom guitars, but costom basses like Carl Thomson and Alembic are the only things ive seen complety hand made. But those basses are built complety diffent then anything else.

I agree with everything you said! I also play a couple ..... Ibanez guitars!! A Jem 7VWH and a Universe 777BK. Shame on me, but I really enjoy playing them! :D

I agree with everything you said! I also play a couple ..... Ibanez guitars!! A Jem 7VWH and a Universe 777BK. Shame on me, but I really enjoy playing them! :D

I bet they were 7 strings like everthing about you is 7. Yeah ibanez is not on top of my list of guitars or basses, but they sell, but they also have some of the least expensive stuff out there also. I never Picked up an Ibanez bass because the way they look and i seen some really bad bassit who swears by them.

facetious, I just re-read your post that the Plexi in the store near you was under $2K and you wanted a 50 watt so you were hoping it would be less. I don’t know if Marshall even makes a Plexi 50 watt re-issue, I think that’s why I thought initially you wanted a 100 watter.

Do you have a specific budget for the amp?

I bet they were 7 strings like everthing about you is 7. Yeah ibanez is not on top of my list of guitars or basses, but they sell, but they also have some of the least expensive stuff out there also. I never Picked up an Ibanez bass because the way they look and i seen some really bad bassit who swears by them.

The Jem 7VWH is a 6 string. The Universe 777BK is a seven string and I don't play it much.

The 7's aren't about the strings on my guitars, however!

I wanted a guitar with a whammy bar.... for fun! The Jem was highly recommended. I really enjoy playing it, but it's not in my top 4... it's number 5 in my stand.

2270344094_9fc8839d84.jpg

The Jem 7VWH is a 6 string. The Universe 777BK is a seven string and I don't play it much.

The 7's aren't about the strings on my guitars, however!

I wanted a guitar with a whammy bar.... for fun! The Jem was highly recommended. I really enjoy playing it, but it's not in my top 4... it's number 5 in my stand.

2270344094_9fc8839d84.jpg

I know that it's been said the Page black buety is not worth the price, but in my opinion thats the best looking guitar i ever saw. They had an epihone version for around 500 bucks at my guitar center. I'm not sure if its the epiphone version of the jimmy page one, but it was black, gold hardware, 3 pickups, and the tremolo tail piece. anything else like the switches can be installed later.

Love what YOU play! That's what counts.... doesn't it? :thumbsup:

:)

Yes indeed. Love what you play, & play what you love. B)

BTW I'm thinking: PRS; Ibanez, hmmm. Didn't you used to be ScottyZeppelin?

(Appologies if I'm confusing you for someone else)

I know that it's been said the Page black buety is not worth the price, but in my opinion thats the best looking guitar i ever saw. They had an epihone version for around 500 bucks at my guitar center. I'm not sure if its the epiphone version of the jimmy page one, but it was black, gold hardware, 3 pickups, and the tremolo tail piece. anything else like the switches can be installed later.

Yeah i have a soft spot for the triple pickup black beauty. And the Jimmy Page one is the best looking of them all. I wish i had seen a tailpiece epi over here, i would've snapped it up. The normal one is going for $1200 over here, its pretty much robbery. All guitar shops are way over priced, even in the sales.

I know, i am 14, but still(ill b 15 in a month), ive been saving my money for a VERY long time, and i want a DAMN GOOD amp. :D

My local music store is selling them pretty decently priced too, i think i saw the 1959slp half stack in there for less than 2 grand, so gettin a 50 watt is prolly gonna cost less monies than that, and ive got over a grand tucked under my bed, and im pretty patient, ima try to sell lots of my stuff to get more money, and may have to get a job in the summer. But i would be satisfied with a lower end amp as you suggested, but not for very long, ill just be wanting another better amp soonere or later, so id rather wait, and get what i really want. Parents may complain about the big amp, but if im buying it, i can get what i want.

Is that not wise??

I have never seen a 50 watter in that model. If I may, I would recommend the Traynor that I own. It does just about every Zep tone imaginable. The reason I am upgrading is to have a broader gain range, and of course, as most rock guitarists go, I have wanted a Marshall since the day I picked up a guitar.

facetious, I just re-read your post that the Plexi in the store near you was under $2K and you wanted a 50 watt so you were hoping it would be less. I don’t know if Marshall even makes a Plexi 50 watt re-issue, I think that’s why I thought initially you wanted a 100 watter.

Do you have a specific budget for the amp?

Actually, the 1987xl is the 50 watt plexi reissue, it has the same compnents of the 1959slp reissue, except it has two el84 (or 34s, idk) in the power section of the amp. As for the budget im sitting on over a grand right now, but im not in a hurry to buy something, im just thinking right now. I was on the metro amp website and thier plexis are even more expensive than the marshall vitange series ones (not the handwired), but they do offer 50 watt kit, has all the original component of the ones they make, sept u build it yourself for about a grand, which im really considering, but im pretty OCD about some stuff which i wont get into, but i dont like copies and clones, its always been the real thang 4 me ( i kno im wierd) So, ima ask marshall if they will meet the same price if they will just let me put it together, wish me luck =P.

Actually, the 1987xl is the 50 watt plexi reissue, it has the same compnents of the 1959slp reissue, except it has two el84 (or 34s, idk) in the power section of the amp. As for the budget im sitting on over a grand right now, but im not in a hurry to buy something, im just thinking right now. I was on the metro amp website and thier plexis are even more expensive than the marshall vitange series ones (not the handwired), but they do offer 50 watt kit, has all the original component of the ones they make, sept u build it yourself for about a grand, which im really considering, but im pretty OCD about some stuff which i wont get into, but i dont like copies and clones, its always been the real thang 4 me ( i kno im wierd) So, ima ask marshall if they will meet the same price if they will just let me put it together, wish me luck =P.

they are el34's I'm fairly certain...I associate el84's with vox ac30's. If I'm not mistaken the plate voltages are different...can't remember which is the low voltage one tho

on a related note there is a mod to tame a plexi by lowering the voltage it runs on

Yeah, the JTM 45 kit will be my next amp. That's a pretty serious commitment. One of my best friends is an electronics wiz so I have a go-to if I get stuck. I downloaded the PDF directions adn I was able to follow it pretty well. Worth downloading to see if you can figure it out.

As for the "real thing" I know what your saying to a point, I felt that way as a kid before I played a lot of amps. BUT with the "re-issue" the only thing authentic on it is the logo. The handwired are the real deal, but at $4 or $5K WAY too much money for me.

One thing that's really common and a pretty cool idea is getting one of the re-issue (1987X) metro makes the PTP circuit boards you can replace the lower quality stock PCB board with and if you feel so inclined change the trannys to Heyboyer or Mercury magnetics.

I've seen those 1959X re-issues going for less than a grand on ebay. Find one used for @$800 and drop in a PTP and some Transformers and you've got an authentic spec amp for short change without having to build it all from scratch.

What Marshall amp did Page use??

On stage, mostly two custom 100w Hiwatts from Summer of 69 to December 1971, after that modified 100 watt Marshall's with laydown transformers "modified" to use KT88's instead of EL34s. There has been much debate about weather or not he replaced the transformers as he said in an interview a long time ago that he had his Marshall's modified to run "at 200 watts". The general consensus is that the added output of KT88's is what he meant by modified to 200 watts as replacing the trannys to put out 200 watts wouldn't fit in a Plexi and at that point he would have been better off using a Major (ala Richie Blackmoore).

Damn dude! Where is the furniture? Where is the floor? Where is the frig? Where is the old lady? :P

That shot is from the rehearsal space! Media gear on the East Wall, Signed drum heads and posters on the remaining wall space and nothing but gear everywhere else!

The fridge and the old lady are at home ..... where they belong! :lol:

UPDATE:

I received the Marshall on Monday. Holy Lord is it amazing.

I fired it up and was immediately blown away at the clean sound. It's something I didn't expect. My Traynor had a rep for having a "better than Marshall" clean sound, so I was expecting to break even or maybe even fall behind a little, in the clean category, which has always been an after thoughts, as I tend to use the volume control more, but this clean sound really has a sparkle to it, but it's still no Fender clean.

The next 5 modes go from another fairly clean channel, to super crunch channel. The thing sounds awesome and as far as sound goes, I am more than satisfied.

Now if I could actually read the manual, and program the neat little footswitch that controls it all.......

On the guitar side of the fence, I found my Silverburst, got to play it, and it absolutely plays like a dream. There is just the right amount of string tension. A little stiffer than my Standard, but I can imagine really lovin doin bends on this guitar. The action was a little high for my taste, but that can be adjusted. Also, tunin down a 1/2 step and maybe even a step would feel pretty natural.

The guitar is flawless. Not a scratch or ding and I looked it over pretty good and found absolutely no flaws in the manufacturing, I thouroughly checked binding and inlays, and not one was botched in the slightest. Absolutely a stunner of a guitar.

UPDATE:

I received the Marshall on Monday. Holy Lord is it amazing.

I fired it up and was immediately blown away at the clean sound. It's something I didn't expect. My Traynor had a rep for having a "better than Marshall" clean sound, so I was expecting to break even or maybe even fall behind a little, in the clean category, which has always been an after thoughts, as I tend to use the volume control more, but this clean sound really has a sparkle to it, but it's still no Fender clean.

The next 5 modes go from another fairly clean channel, to super crunch channel. The thing sounds awesome and as far as sound goes, I am more than satisfied.

Now if I could actually read the manual, and program the neat little footswitch that controls it all.......

On the guitar side of the fence, I found my Silverburst, got to play it, and it absolutely plays like a dream. There is just the right amount of string tension. A little stiffer than my Standard, but I can imagine really lovin doin bends on this guitar. The action was a little high for my taste, but that can be adjusted. Also, tunin down a 1/2 step and maybe even a step would feel pretty natural.

The guitar is flawless. Not a scratch or ding and I looked it over pretty good and found absolutely no flaws in the manufacturing, I thouroughly checked binding and inlays, and not one was botched in the slightest. Absolutely a stunner of a guitar.

Would you mind saying what it cost you for the guitar and the Marshall? Just want to get an idea if your prices are similiar to what they are charging here in Rochester NY. Hope you enjoy the gear-lucky you!

Would you mind saying what it cost you for the guitar and the Marshall? Just want to get an idea if your prices are similiar to what they are charging here in Rochester NY. Hope you enjoy the gear-lucky you!

The Marshall cost $1999 off musiciansfriend. To buy it used is virtually impossible, as they just came out, days before I ordered it. No place around here had it to try and haggle with them, even a guitar center.

The shop has the Les Paul marked $3399, but they price match mail order, and I found it for $3200 on sweetwater.com. I am hopin he can give it to me for the tax free price that the site offers, but if not I'm gonna try to get some extras(strap locks, fancy strap) thrown in the deal. I may offer him a little less, since I am payin cash for it, I'm just not sure how much he will deal.

Was it the combo? the Marshall. I love the color of the gibson.

Yeah, the 50 watt 2x12 model. I has 2 different Celestion speakers in it, a Vintage and a Heritage. Has a much fuller sound than the Marshall I compared it to, a JCM2000 TSL Combo.

Archived