Led Zeppelin vs. Nirvana, which is finer?

hyrule

Bryan Beller, a bass player and writer, wrote this in the March

issue of Bass Player magazine to describe Nirvana:

"... the hidden gem of a melody-driven trio in which influences as

disparate as the Beatles and Black Flag somehow coexisted to create

songs every bit as classic as Led Zeppelin's finest."

Well, my blood pressure was raised for about 12 hours. The sword was

definitely driven through the spine of the dragon on that wicked

morning...

Now, I could go for the subjective, but that is a briar patch... on

simple objective measures, such as total album sales or who had the

number one rock song for over 25 years, it is clear that while Nirvana

may compete well with the Partridge Family, they are not in the league

of the greatest superbands of the 70s. And, they will be forgotten

sooner than Zeppelin, in all probability.

I let the author of that comment, and the editor of the magazine,

know what I think of that commentary. I hope all of you will too.

Especially if you are a musician, even better a bass player. Here are

your contact addresses:

Bryan Beller:

http://www.bryanbeller.com/linkscontact/contact.php

Bass Player magazine:

bleigh@musicplayer.com

Be cool and be persuasive.

Hyrule222000

For me, Nirvana's music is as disposable as the MTV-fueled hype which brought them their fifteen minutes of fame. One of the most overated bands of all time.

I have found a number of people who do not understand why that comparison irks me and I was beginning to wonder that I have been time travelling without knowing it... I am now 40, an old fuddy dud, and maybe I cannot relate to the world any longer, it has left me behind...

I am waiting for him to compare Mozart to the Beastie Boys. He did reply to me personally, basically ignoring every objective argument I made, claiming all truth in taste is relative...

I suppose I could simply live with that, but then he started analyzing me, proposing I may have a persecution complex for caring about this topic. That is uncool. If he debated the facts and what I said, that's fine, but going for my character? A stranger? I expected better from him.

His source for his theories? Dr. Phil... Uy vey, I have a degree in psychology and this guy is invalidating my character in a debate, addressing motive versus substance? Oh well, I give up on him, but perhaps he will will hear what all the other persecuted Zeppelin fans think.

The bottom line is, I think he is both ignorant of Nirvana and Zeppelin, prefers neither, and can therefore make the comment he did with a straight face. O.k., but if you want to insult the reputation of Zeppelin's music, some of us might just call you out on it. Back up your arguments, or issue a retraction.

Nothing Nirvana ever produced could be said to be as fine as Stairway to Heaven, which is probably the greatest rock song ever written... I know, it's overplayed, but's it's still masterful.

Number one for over 25 years...

Wow, that guy is nuts. I did like Nirvana, mostly because they came along at the right time and gutted what was left of the pop/hair metal stuff, which I hated with a passion. I'll take Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, or Alice in Chains over Nirvana any day, though.

Comparing them to Zeppelin?! Come ON. For god's sake. :rolleyes: Does he have ears???

Kids... that happens when you use drugs. You just can't discern of what is something and what is Led Zeppelin.

Winners don't use drugs.

Erm, the guys in Zeppelin had their fair share of drug use I am sorry to say.

:blink:

Edited by ledded1

You know, i tried to listen to soundgraden to see that claim, but i would have to say Alice in Chains, but i always said that in the nineties that Creed was the closest thing. mark tremoti is a riff maker like page and the rythm is tight and powerful like JPJ and Bonzo. The only problem is the singer is a dipshit. (im not talking about plant)

You know, i tried to listen to soundgraden to see that claim, but i would have to say Alice in Chains, but i always said that in the nineties that Creed was the closest thing. mark tremoti is a riff maker like page and the rythm is tight and powerful like JPJ and Bonzo. The only problem is the singer is a dipshit. (im not talking about plant)

Creed is a teeniebopper band compared to Soundgarden. Chris Cornell probably has the best range of any singer out there. Even Plant. They were the real deal. And they didn't really get the press at that time some other bands did. Creed isn't near as talented as Nirvana or Pearl Jam or Soundgarden or AIC.

I was in 8th grade when Smells like Teen Spirit hit, I didn't get it then and I don't get it now.

Two things:

1) Just the consruction of your average Zeppelin tune is enought to boggle the mind. The parts are flawless and the groove is amazing. Very few bands are in that league let alone those guys.

2) There is this revisionist history surrounding Nirvana. They were a pop band in shitty clothes. I'm tired of hearing about how they were this huge alternative band. they changed the face of rock but they did it by having their videos on MTV 24-7 and their songs on TOP 40 radio constantly. It wasn't a cold media affair like Zeppelin or even their contemporaries Soundgarden. It was a while before those guys were mainstream. They were over exposed at every opportunity. Every kid that liked New Kids On The Block two years earlier liked Nirvana when they came out.

I was in 8th grade when Smells like Teen Spirit hit, I didn't get it then and I don't get it now.

Two things:

1) Just the consruction of your average Zeppelin tune is enought to boggle the mind. The parts are flawless and the groove is amazing. Very few bands are in that league let alone those guys.

2) There is this revisionist history surrounding Nirvana. They were a pop band in shitty clothes. I'm tired of hearing about how they were this huge alternative band. they changed the face of rock but they did it by having their videos on MTV 24-7 and their songs on TOP 40 radio constantly. It wasn't a cold media affair like Zeppelin or even their contemporaries Soundgarden. It was a while before those guys were mainstream. They were over exposed at every opportunity. Every kid that liked New Kids On The Block two years earlier liked Nirvana when they came out.

I think there is some good with Nirvana. The softer stuff was perfect for them. They just didn't really know what heavy was. They never really got that part of it.

Creed? I'll give you soundgarden, but Creed? In the 90's Janes Addiction or Jeff Buckley. Those guys were laying out sick grooves that were largely ignored by the radio and MTV.

The rhythm section in creed is a joke. Root...fifth...root...root...thud...wack...jesus...thud...wack

You got it. Creed would have been a better band if they had different singer. I can't remember his name now. His monotone voice and lack of passion made listening to Creed a "nails on chalkboard" experience. Btw, I never thought Kurt Cobain was a good singer but it suited Nirvana's music. The best thing about Nirvana was the guitar riffs but nothing they did was ever as good as Zeppelin.

You got it. Creed would have been a better band if they had different singer. I can't remember his name now. His monotone voice and lack of passion made listening to Creed a "nails on chalkboard" experience. Btw, I never thought Kurt Cobain was a good singer but it suited Nirvana's music. The best thing about Nirvana was the guitar riffs but nothing they did was ever as good as Zeppelin.

Nothing in the 90s was ever as good as Zeppelin. But then again who is that good?

Motley Crue, Ratt, Dokken...I'll take any of those bands over Nirvana any day! At least hair metal was fun and those guys saluted Led Zeppelin as they should have.

Nirvana was the band that nearly killed rock n' roll. Ever since it's been a bunch of guys dressed like they were there to mow your yard playing a bunch of three chord, depressoid crap.

Led Zeppelin is the gold standard in rock, so to emphasize the point they were successful this guy has reached out and compared them to Nirvana. No_comparison.

Yes, Creed's flaw was the singer, and it was a big flaw. but just the music was great. I think they got grove that is zep like. Soundgarden could definitely rock out like zep, Harder even. but zep was more then Whole Lotta Love or Immigrant song. Alice in Chains was as good on the electric as they were on the acoustic. So was Creed. Soundgarden definitely got the hard side of zep down, but what about the softer side.

Yes, Creed's flaw was the singer, and it was a big flaw. but just the music was great. I think they got grove that is zep like. Soundgarden could definitely rock out like zep, Harder even. but zep was more then Whole Lotta Love or Immigrant song. Alice in Chains was as good on the electric as they were on the acoustic. So was Creed. Soundgarden definitely got the hard side of zep down, but what about the softer side.

Creed has a decent guitarist, but that's about it.

Soundgarden had some softer stuff also. Black Days and Black Hole Sun may be their most popular songs and those aren't really that heavy.

I love reading all the posts; so many good comments. I just wanted to throw in that Soundgarden, Tool, and Zeppelin are the 3 bands that have caused driving issues for me :P Got a speeding ticket to "Spoonman." I was in my jammies at the time. That's a memorable embarassing moment for me.

Also, when I talk about hair metal, I'm not necessarily referring to early 80's bands (I just listened to a Ratt song on the radio today)...I'm talking about what happened in the mid to late 80's, when it got all bubble gummy and power ballad-y. Know what I mean? But I think there were also probably a few bands from that era that got unfairly labled as hairbands. I was happy when Guns and Roses came around, because they brought it back to real rock. Black Crowes, too.

Out of the Seattle bands, Soundgarden just blew my shit away. Loved Pearl Jam and Alice, too. Nirvana, for me, was refreshing at first. Remember what was on the radio at that time? I remember the day it went from that ballad "More than Words" by Extreme, I think.....to "Smells Like Teen Spirit." That was cool. But I still can't compare it to Zeppelin at all. Not even close.