For the 50 and over crowd

JethroTull

I turned 50 a couple of years ago. More so than any other milestone birthday, this one really gets you thinking.

Here is a Jethro Tull song from the Benefit LP on the subject with some song commentary

from Cup of Wonder

A Time For Everything

Once it seemed there would always be

a time for everything.

Ages passed I knew at last

my life had never been.

I'd been missing what time could bring.

Fifty years and I'm filled with tears and joys

I never cried.

Burn the wagon and chain the mule.

The past is all denied.

There's no time for everything.

No time for everything.

This must surely be one of Ian Anderson's earliest retrospective songs. "A Time For Everything" is about looking back at all those years gone by from the perspective of advanced middle age: "Fifty years and I m filled with tears". (Oddly enough, Ian Anderson must have been in his early 20's at the most when he wrote this song. Perhaps that explains the fact that it contains only two verses: was I.A. a little short on the subject matter at the time?). The song is about the musings of one who is considering the wastefulness of his life, the reflections on what could have been: "Once it seemed there would always be a time for everything" as opposed to what has been: "Ages passed I knew at last my life had never been". He could have achieved so much, he is saying. But all his early aspirations were lost along the way: "I'd been missing what time could bring". However, musings aside, the song ends in a pragmatic vein and the singer seems to come to terms with the need to put an end to pointless reflections: "Burn the wagon and chain the mule" he says. The wagon and the mule, being the vehicles on which he has slowly shuffled along through the passage of time. "The past is all denied", that's it! What was is no longer relevant. The closing line of the song put the lid of acceptance on the issue: "There's no time for everything. No time for everything".

A couple of Saturday mornings ago at Starbucks I was waiting for my drink along with a young lady. She ordered about 4-5 grande frappaccino's. I made a joke about it and she laughed, then we had a nice chat. It really made my day. She was in college going on a coffee run for some co-workers.

Age is just a state of mind.

"Hope I get old before I die"

"There may be snow on the roof but there is plenty of fire in the furnace."

"Many a sweet tune is played on an old fiddle."

My aim is to live long enough to become a burden to my children.

For people here complaing, and remember this is coming from a teenage kid.

Did you get to wait in line for tickets to a Zep show or any other concert for that matter? And get a ticket stub and not a printed piece of paper from ticketmaster.com?

Did you get to wait by the record store for your copy of the latest Zep album?

Do you remember when they played good music on most radio stations instead of this pop country crap?

I don't care if I was old now I'd rather experience that. You can have the technology, I want those days. And before, like the 60s.

Did you get to wait in line for tickets to a Zep show or any other concert for that matter? And get a ticket stub and not a printed piece of paper from ticketmaster.com?

Do you remember when they played good music on most radio stations instead of this pop country crap?

I don't care if I was old now I'd rather experience that. You can have the technology, I want those days. And before, like the 60s.

Wait. You'll see. People ignore you, make fun of your clothes, gray hair, double chins, bifocal glasses, friends who don't call or care about you anymore. Now I have to buy relaxed fit jeans. I can't remember the last time I caught a chick staring at my ass.

:) Hey, that tech is making us all interact here, hehhehehehhhhe....AND, I tend never to be stuck in the past!! :)

I know, but I'd rather interact at all those places. Instead of here, but I can't.

I know what you mean......and uncle Einstein said we will be able to travel in time one day...but it's gonna be a "weighty" thing....if ya know what I mean!! :)

Archived