Led Zeppelin's OVERALL best song

JimmyPageZoSo56

478 members have voted

1. 1. Which captivates Led Zeppelin the best?

• Stairway to Heaven
    • Achilles Last Stand
    • Kashmir

Achilles is the best song out of those three, but the absolute best Zep song in my opinion is The Rain Song. The acoustic and electric guitars remind me of two people dancing in the rain in springtime. It's beautiful.

That, I can definitely agree with. In fact, the whole album kind of gives off a rather rainy, dreamy, beach-like vibe. With songs like "The Ocean" and "Jamaica," it kinda makes it stand out more.

Achilles is the best song out of those three, but the absolute best Zep song in my opinion is The Rain Song. The acoustic and electric guitars remind me of two people dancing in the rain in springtime. It's beautiful.

You are totally on it. The music mastery of The Rain Song is one of the songs in my mind that defines them. I told my wife 28 years ago when got married that song is first song at my funeral. Just watched 8-4-79 version and got goose bumps again.

• 4 weeks later...

Ugh, I can't believe I'm gonna write this, but I say "Stairway." It has more of the light and shade for which Jimmy always strived. It is acoustic. It is heavy electric. Very difficult to choose among those three selections.

I love every song/ballad they have ever done, but Stairway To Heaven is the best song ever made. The way this songs starts so beautiful, then rips wide open to take you back down the journey of calmness. NO ONE could have made this sond what it was like them (as well as any other song/ballad they did)

I know people say it's overplayed (there is a reason for that!!)

These questions are hard...

• 2 weeks later...

For me it was between Stairway and Achilles' Last Stand, but I went with ALS. STH has almost definately left a bigger print on rock history, but ALS is a better song in my opinion.

If The Rain Song was a choice, it would have been too hard to decide and I wouldn't vote

• 3 weeks later...

That was a REALLY hard choice. I picked STH just because I think it's a perfect song from beginning to end. I love ALS as well. Kashmir would be 3rd for me. As much as I love it, for some reason I never liked the way it ended. It's such a majestic song, I just thought it for it to trail off at the end made it seem a bit unfinished. I have a feeling I'm on my own here... but oh well.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Captivation"

Hmm, if that means that to represents Zeppelin as a whole I would say Kashmir. You go to war with Kashmir.

But as for individual members STH has an identifying part for all of them. You die to Stairway to Heaven.

ALS is an amazing song and just recently if feels even more awesome, but it doesn't quite seem to represent them. You discover the secrets of the universe with Achilles Last Stand.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For me it's between Stairway to Heaven and Kashmir. Although I love Achilles Last Stand, I don't love it as much as a lot of people on the forums here. I think it's great, but I wouldn't necessarily put it in my top 15 Zeppelin songs. The drums are amazing, there is some outstanding guitar and bass playing, but Plant's vocals, although good, don't really stand out in ALS as much as on STH or Kashmir. So between the two, I choose Kashmir. Stairway will always be considered Led Zeppelin's opus by most people, but I just can't get over the epicness of Kashmir (not that Stairway isn't epic). The riff, the drums, the vocals, it's got the whole package. It's definitely my favorite Led Zeppelin song and one of my favorite songs of all time. Stairway is still #2 for me, and Achilles is probably somewhere between 15 and 20 for me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I've always thought Kashmir was their greatest musical achievement, and I was pleasantly surprised to read in a Robert Plant interview many years ago that he felt the same way. I mean...Ravel's Bolero meets rock epic? That's just wonderfully nuts lol I still think Kashmir was so different and original and unique that other rock bands couldn't even copy any aspect of it. It's brilliant, just brilliant.

yes but kashmir is a very easy tune to follow and whats up with the STH thing people saying stairway to hell?

they cant be for sure its got satan writen all in it! but my brother did some research and played it backwards..i need someone to tell me why this is like this and why page has allowed it!

"Reverse speech" is a naturally occurring phenomenon. The reverse speech that can be heard when Stairway is played backwards was not intentionally put there by the band but rather just...is. I'm not being a smart ass here (I threw my back out this morning and typing kills!), but look it up on the internet for an in depth explanation. Anyway, my opinion is that since the reverse speech on Stairway is antithetical to the forward lyric, and Page WAS dabbling in the occult, a supernatural door to the dark side was opened, and there you have it. But the band probably didn't even know the reverse speech was there until someone made them aware of it.

Archived