Rarely mentioned Page guest spots

Honeydripper

This is one that rarely gets mentioned. Jimmy Page playing on 3 tracks on the Steven Stills album "Right By You". I heard Page was gonna be on it and bought it the day it came out back in 84. The three tracks are 50/50, Flaming Heart, and Right By You. Jimmy was heavily into his tele B bender phase and it fit in beautifully w/ Still's country/folk/rock sound.

The bad part is......the album was subsequently shelved due to Stills having been busted for drugs and hopes of a tour and record company promotion-tour support were put aside. The record went right to the cut out/bargain bin and if you look on Stills' own official site discography, it's not even listed. Never seen it on cd either.....IIRC, there was a Japanese cd issue.

You can however easily find it on vinyl. http://cgi.ebay.com/Steven-Stills-Right-By...VQQcmdZViewItem

For the person who has to hear everything Page ever did........and or that likes Steven Stills, I'd recommend it....even if the overall production has 1984 written all over it. :unsure:

This is one that rarely gets mentioned. Jimmy Page playing on 3 tracks on the Steven Stills album "Right By You". I heard Page was gonna be on it and bought it the day it came out back in 84. The three tracks are 50/50, Flaming Heart, and Right By You. Jimmy was heavily into his tele B bender phase and it fit in beautifully w/ Still's country/folk/rock sound.

The bad part is......the album was subsequently shelved due to Stills having been busted for drugs and hopes of a tour and record company promotion-tour support were put aside. The record went right to the cut out/bargain bin and if you look on Stills' own official site discography, it's not even listed. Never seen it on cd either.....IIRC, there was a Japanese cd issue.

You can however easily find it on vinyl. http://cgi.ebay.com/Steven-Stills-Right-By...VQQcmdZViewItem

For the person who has to hear everything Page ever did........and or that likes Steven Stills, I'd recommend it....even if the overall production has 1984 written all over it. :unsure:

I actually bought 50/50 from itunes! I'm not sure if the other two songs are on there, I'll give it a look...

FYI: Swandown and Adrian T'Vell are the two most knowledgeable enthusiasts you'll ever meet when it comes to Jimmy Page's session work.

:D Thanks Steve!

And Steve is the most knowledgeable enthusiast when it comes to knowing Jimmy's exact whereabouts for just about every single day from 1966 to 2007 (not to mention a ton of other stuff). ;)

BTW, I've been trying to get in touch with Adrian T'Vell for years. I've got a few corrections for his Mangled Mind Archive......

BTW, I've been trying to get in touch with Adrian T'Vell for years. I've got a few corrections for his Mangled Mind Archive......

I haven't gotten back to him in probably 15 years, I'm sorry to say. Where does the time go? I hope he'll find this site and give us a shout.

Now, about those corrections... :)

Not to go off-topic, but this "tele B bender" you speak of: would that be what Jimmy is using on "All of My Love"? I heard it on the way to work this a.m. and wondered how JP got that beautiful countryish sound.

Yes, also used on stage for Ten Years Gone, Hot Dog,etc.. His Botswana Brown Tele has the Parsons B Bender unit in it (you can buy them pre installed. The b string .....goes past the bridge and into a hole through a vavity in the back of the body where it it attached to a spring lever controlled by pushing down on the front straplock. Whenever you see Jimmy playing that guitar, and you see him pushing down on the neck, it's bending the b string.

I have a tele w/ a different brand of b bender on it controlled by your hip...hence the name the "hipshot" B bender. Does the same thing. They are used alot in country and was first introduced to replicate a pedal steel or "Hawaiian" sound.

** Jimmy has two Parsons B Bender tele's, and a Les Paul w/ a Parsons bender as well.

Thank you, this was immediately added to my watch list.

A good one to look for is "What ever Happened to the Jugula". Jimmy with Roy Harper 1985. File under science fiction.

You can also see "Jimmy & Roy Harper" doing some tracks off the "What ever Happened to"

pn Chan 4's the "Tube" i seem to remember, from 84/85. Both of them on the "Welsh Hillsides", out of thier Heads, think they may have had a drink aswell. Play a song called "Hang-man".

You can also see "Jimmy & Roy Harper" doing some tracks off the "What ever Happened to"

pn Chan 4's the "Tube" i seem to remember, from 84/85. Both of them on the "Welsh Hillsides", out of thier Heads, think they may have had a drink aswell. Play a song called "Hang-man".

I remember that them going up the hill but I think it was Old Grey whistle test !! or Whistle test !! great album the Jugular album !! The one with him peeing in the loo cracks me up, also 1984ish is great !!

Jimmy page also has a Les Paul with a B bender it's red and was used to play When the World Was Young.

Also the song Humming Bird off of Outrider has a b bender solo that appears to be both the Les Paul and Tele double Tracked.

Sea Of Love is one of the best Solos with the b-Bender

as far as Page as a guest Joe Cockers version of With a Little Help from My Friends features Page

A good one to look for is "What ever Happened to the Jugula". Jimmy with Roy Harper 1985. File under science fiction.

:yay: I love this album. You must follow the instructions in the last song, however. B)

Great album though isn't it?

"Suicide Sal" by Maggie Bell. Worth a listen.

:thumbsup:

yeah, nice and funky. Jimmy only plays on a couple tracks (solos at least), but

the whole album has a great vibe.

Sea Of Love is one of the best Solos with the b-Bender

Great call! :)

Say what you will, but Page and Bonham together on the Screaming Lord Sutch album is awesome.

This is proto-punk, without a doubt.

The first two tracks really stand out... others have more unfortunate lyrics...

but really a great rockin' album.

main-150.jpg

I remember that them going up the hill but I think it was Old Grey whistle test !! or Whistle test !! great album the Jugular album !! The one with him peeing in the loo cracks me up, also 1984ish is great !!

Hey Leddy,

Glad someone else remembers the "Hillside" jaunt that Jimmy & Roy took. If its the same as were both thinking of, as I recall, Jimmy has a pair of "Cowboy Boots" on that would be fitting if he was playing "Hot-Dog"!! But i may have to admit defeat here, & say you could be right, & it was the "Nipple Twist"(Whistle Test), Can anyone else add to this??,Cheers,

Hang-man.

Sea of Love is indeed a beuty of a solo......but then again so is this solo Jimmy added to the Otis Redding classic........and it's probably my fav post Zep Page studio moment.

(he even attempts to sing a little (in the video of course.....doubt he's singing on the record)

I absolutely LOVE this version. (still have my 45 of it. :)http://danvollmer.fotopic.net/p8242738.html

Sea of Love is indeed a beuty of a solo......but then again so is this solo Jimmy added to the Otis Redding classic........and it's probably my fav post Zep Page studio moment.

(he even attempts to sing a little (in the video of course.....doubt he's singing on the record)

I absolutely LOVE this version. (still have my 45 of it. :)http://danvollmer.fotopic.net/p8242738.html

Does Ronnie Wood really play bari sax on that? :huh:

I'd completely forgotten about this. Thank you so much. :)

Oh how grateful I am. :rolleyes:

Hey Leddy,

Glad someone else remembers the "Hillside" jaunt that Jimmy & Roy took. If its the same as were both thinking of, as I recall, Jimmy has a pair of "Cowboy Boots" on that would be fitting if he was playing "Hot-Dog"!! But i may have to admit defeat here, & say you could be right, & it was the "Nipple Twist"(Whistle Test), Can anyone else add to this??,Cheers,

Hang-man.

Yes it was Whistle Test and the link to it on YouTube was recently posted on the old .com , it was great to see again after such a long time. :D

Archived