Keith Richards belittles Zep

Good lawd, you guys who are disrespecting Keef need some schoolin'!! And you're taking his playful remarks waayyy too seriously. Jimmy and Keith have been friends for decades. If Pagey's apparently not bothered by Keith's lack of regard for Zeppelin's musical output, why should you be?

Personally, I think the jibes are just gamesmanship: these guys are intensely competitive. Robert takes a swipe or two at the Stones, Keith gives him the back of his hand. All in good fun.

An average guitarist in an average band, thats done one or 10 to many tours now !!! He might of come up with a few good riffs but please, the guy is and always will be an arsehole to me !!

Good lawd, you guys who are disrespecting Keef need some schoolin'!! And you're taking his playful remarks waayyy too seriously. Jimmy and Keith have been friends for decades. If Pagey's apparently not bothered by Keith's lack of regard for Zeppelin's musical output, why should you be?

Personally, I think the jibes are just gamesmanship: these guys are intensely competitive. Robert takes a swipe or two at the Stones, Keith gives him the back of his hand. All in good fun.

BY FAR THE BEST POST ON THE ENTIRE, WORN OUT SUBJECT. THANK YOU.

:notworthy:

I love all the hate on Keith Richards just for some comments. They make me lol. What makes it funnier is that he basically says he doesn't like Stairway, and how many Zeppelin fans have said that on this site? Shall we piss on them as well?

what a fuckin loser, guy sniffed his dads ashes after he was cremated, if he cant respect his own father, how do you expect him to respect the greatest rock band of all time, listen to the reviews from SARS-STOCK about the stones performance, they sucked, ACDC stole the show

You can always tell when Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones are not touring; first Robert Plant says something, then Keith Richards says something, and then the fans get started.

:lol:

I went to the Sars show; regardless of the reviews, the Stones were great!

what a fuckin loser, guy sniffed his dads ashes after he was cremated, if he cant respect his own father, how do you expect him to respect the greatest rock band of all time, listen to the reviews from SARS-STOCK about the stones performance, they sucked, ACDC stole the show

Umm...the whole dad's ashes thing was a joke there brutha.....again these comments make me lol.

The did zep reunite comment I just take as him being sarcastic. He couldnt have failed to have been aware unless he was stuck up a palm tree on a deserted isalnd for 6 months last year. Even then some passing dolphins would have told him they were doing the 02 cos iknow for a fact that some dolphins did enter the ticket draw but were unlucky and didn't get any.

Its no big deal really is it, so quite why we have had 3 simultaneous threads about this god only knows.

The did zep reunite comment I just take as him being sarcastic. He couldnt have failed to have been aware unless he was stuck up a palm tree on a deserted isalnd for 6 months last year. Even then some passing dolphins would have told him they were doing the 02 cos iknow for a fact that some dolphins did enter the ticket draw but were unlucky and didn't get any.

Its no big deal really is it, so quite why we have had 3 simultaneous threads about this god only knows.

It's just one of his usual flippant remarks, a remark that is not as important as people seem to think. He is honest and straightforward when he expresses his thoughts, but he also has an easygoing sense of humor.

Let go of it. So what if Keith Richards doesn't like Stairway to Heaven? I love the Rolling Stones and Zeppelin almost equally.

Even Robert Plant complains about Stairway to Heaven, although it's one of my favorite songs; I've always loved it.

Apples and oranges. In '75, the Stones were getting all the press while Zeppelin were breaking the bank on tour and outselling them night after night. It's not about merit or ability in this case. Both bands are huge and have impacted rock music hugely. These bands have always shared a friendly rivalry. It's not hateful. They're part of an elite circle who can take a piss at each other now and then. Some people are reading way too much into his remarks.

Apples and oranges. In '75, the Stones were getting all the press while Zeppelin were breaking the bank on tour and outselling them night after night. It's not about merit or ability in this case. Both bands are huge and have impacted rock music hugely. These bands have always shared a friendly rivalry. It's not hateful. They're part of an elite circle who can take a piss at each other now and then. Some people are reading way too much into his remarks.

"Apples and Oranges" - a great turn of phrase and one I think is completely appropriate.Your entire post is, to me,precient.

At the time the Stones were concidered the greatest Rock band of "all time".They had an image and a history in part created by the press and fans, that in 1975 was still bordering on fanatism.

Led Zep had a very bad time with the press from thier earliest days.The amazing thing to me about Led Zeppelins music is that it stands the test of time better than their peers.

This, I believe, is in part due to the mystery.

An example:

Ok, I've made a big deal and cheap, but utterly funny, :D shots in the past, about their triumph at the Bath festival in 1970.It was filmed (in a way) and then the footage promptly destroyed by an over protective manager, but the truth is that if we had that footage now, it just wouldnt seem so special!.One of the greatest things was that they never out-stayed there welcome, and remain mysterious.Perhaps for forever!.

Generation after generation still buy Led Zeppelin albums and grow up wanting to be like them.

That happens to a lesser extent with the Rolling Stones. Sure, lots of young kids like going to see the Stones in concert, but that's mostly a 'circus' thing and successive generations aren't as musically influenced by them.

Keith knows that.

I don't think that Stairway is Zeppelin's best song, in fact I sometimes find it cringeworthy, not because of what the band did to it, but how the media and small-time fans have latched onto it.

Zeppelin has a range of different songs with many different styles and moods touched upon. I think it's a shame that so many people think that Zeppelin sounds like Stairway to Heaven, because they don't. In the same way that D'yer Maker has falsely led people to believe Zeppelin was a faux-reggae band.

"Apples and Oranges" - a great turn of phrase and one I think is completely appropriate.Your entire post is, to me,precient.

At the time the Stones were concidered the greatest Rock band of "all time".They had an image and a history in part created by the press and fans, that in 1975 was still bordering on fanatism.

Led Zep had a very bad time with the press from thier earliest days.The amazing thing to me about Led Zeppelins music is that it stands the test of time better than their peers.

To put it plainly, Zeppelin ruled the high school parking lots in the 70's. Not the Stones. Don't get me wrong, the Stones were cool as hell, but Zeppelin were the gods. And personally, I could give a shit what the press or the critics had to say about their chosen darlings. It's about the fans. End of story. Just look at the readers' polls in Creem, Circus and Hit Parader from those times. Zeppelin ruled! The fans spoke. The press didn't listen. Screw 'em! The Stones are still "The world's greatest rock and roll band". Guess Zeppelin was something more than a rock and roll band, hence the disparity. Nuff said! B)

And Michael Jackson is the "King of pop". :rolleyes:

Thing is, Zeppelin didn't take musical categories (pop, rock, jazz, etc.) They were "Best Band", "Best Guitarist", Best Drummer", Best Vocalist", Best Bassist", "Best Album", "Best Live Act". OVERALL. Over and over, year after year. Genres need not apply. :beer:

The press didn't listen. Screw 'em! The Stones are still "The world's greatest rock and roll band". Guess Zeppelin was something more than a rock and roll band, hence the disparity. Nuff said! B)

Over here, prior to the reunion there was a LOT written in the press about Led Zeppelin being the greatest band of all time or greatest rock band of all time or the epitome of a rock band, archetypal rock band etc etc.

I was actually surprised (but I enjoyed it) at how much the British press, at least, were eulogizing Zeppelin.

Over here, prior to the reunion there was a LOT written in the press about Led Zeppelin being the greatest band of all time or greatest rock band of all time or the epitome of a rock band, archetypal rock band etc etc.

I was actually surprised (but I enjoyed it) at how much the British press, at least, were eulogizing Zeppelin.

I was referring to the mid-70s, when Zeppelin was ignored while the Stones were riding inflatable penises and travelling with a horn section. :beer:

I was referring to the mid-70s, when Zeppelin was ignored while the Stones were riding inflatable penises and travelling with a horn section. :beer:

Oh yeah, that was true. Wouldn't disagree there.

Archived