Keith Richards belittles Zep

Oh yeah, that was true. Wouldn't disagree there.

Yeah, Zep really got the stick in those days. The Stones were in that mire between Taylor and Wood and it showed. Zeppelin were killing, but the press could give a shit. It took Rolling Stone magazine over a decade (or two) to see the light. It's such a drag that they got such a slagging in the early days. Their true domination would have been apparent for the world to see. Then again, it was hard enough to get a ticket at the time! They were our gigantic secret! :lol:

Over here, prior to the reunion there was a LOT written in the press about Led Zeppelin being the greatest band of all time or greatest rock band of all time or the epitome of a rock band, archetypal rock band etc etc.

I was actually surprised (but I enjoyed it) at how much the British press, at least, were eulogizing Zeppelin.

Through the 70's Zep also ruled the fans polls here in the UK just as evster has stated was happening in the USA.

Then when punk came along the music press latched onto that and someof the journalists who were prasing Zep and other classic rock bands suddenly turned their backs on them and embraced punk, not just for the music but as a statement on Britain at that time. It brought something new and seemingly fresh to the country similar to what happened in the 60's here. Its understandable really.

It didnt seem to matter that the bands couldnt play or wrote complete shite it was like a revolution.

Classic rock bands were labelled dinosuars and Zep probably vilified more than most other bands because of the so called excesses of the band. (Lets face it the press still drag all that up and dont even talk about the music). It was happening when Knebworth took place. One of Zeps staunchest supporters at one time The NME seemed to hate them with a vengence.

But we all know that you can't keep great music down and as much as I loved reading all the post 02 plaudits it felt a little hollow cos I have lived with the press comments here over the years and suddenly everyone wanted to be a part of it and the show proved to them what I and many of us knew all along.

The Stones were seen as dangerous in the 60's and yet now they are lauded despite there best years being 35-40 years ago. It is a circus with them, just look athe fuss around the press anouncements each time the announce another tour. it to me is more about money making with a corporate feel to uit rather than a music one. ( I guess thats what RP doesn't or didn't want about Zep reforming or touring where the music is forgotten around the hype and it becomes a circus)

I still think KR was being sarcastic in his comment, he knew and knows just how popular Zep really are with the people that count, the old fans the new fans and the yet to be born fans.

Let their circus continue at least they are still out there but sometimes I see them and find it a tad embarrassing, but thats me. I wont rush to see them these days, did that in the 70's and without having to be 2 miles away from the stage ( well Knebworth apart which was not a good show really and talk about coming on late :o ) is their most recent music relevant, probably not cos people who go want to see the and hear the classic stuff. have any of the band cut it with their solo stuff? No,probably sold 100 copies between them and can anyone name a good solo album from any of them? I have heard them and i would stuggle to get one decent compilation album out of them.

But music is there to be played and all strength to them for continuing.

Well said Ledded1! Although having recently revisited Knebworth on audio and dvd, I think it was a phenomenal show. Particularly Robert! He had pipes on those occasions he'd never tapped before! And if you ask the people who were in attendance, they'll say Zeppelin truly conquered! I know some of us boot hounds will tend to pick shows apart, but all in all I think Knebworth was worthy of the pedigree. They certainly didn't disappoint! They owned that gig! :beer:

Well said Ledded1! Although having recently revisited Knebworth on audio and dvd, I think it was a phenomenal show. Particularly Robert! He had pipes on those occasions he'd never tapped before! And if you ask the people who were in attendance, they'll say Zeppelin truly conquered! I know some of us boot hounds will tend to pick shows apart, but all in all I think Knebworth was worthy of the pedigree. They certainly didn't disappoint! They owned that gig! :beer:

Sorry Ev, I meant the Stones show at Knebworth in 76 not zeps in 79. It wasn't very good and there were major delays and 10cc who were on the bill played a big part in that by pissing about. But The Stones really didn't live up to their reputation.

I was at both Zep shows and it may be rose tinted specs but it was a fantastic ouple of saturdays for me, the first show even more so as it had been 4 years since i lsat saw them at Earls court. The emotions were high as you can imagine.

Keef's alright, despite his nagging, and the Stones have made many good albums (been a while though now hasn't it?). It's just that Led Zeppelin always were infinitely better. :D

I actually thought a few of the songs on Jagger's She's the Boss were pretty funny, but maybe that's just me. :lol:

Led Zep's -hey hey what can i do and baby come home always were alittle stonesy to me...but i cant think of any -stones songs that had the variety of led zeps best stuff. Or should i say, i cant picture the stones doing a zeppelin song, but i can see led zep doing many stones songs and killing them. I'm just sayin.

Hey keith can say anything he wants, as anyone can. But he sort of deserves it more, because he is a survivor. i think negative comments from keith are sort of compliments at this point.

Remember him arguing with -chuck berry on that documentary years ago.

I was referring to the mid-70s, when Zeppelin was ignored while the Stones were riding inflatable penises and travelling with a horn section. :beer:

:lol:

Yeah, when we got together after (or during) school in the '70s to light one up and listen to music, the Stones were nowhere to be found.

Sorry Ev, I meant the Stones show at Knebworth in 76 not zeps in 79. It wasn't very good and there were major delays and 10cc who were on the bill played a big part in that by pissing about. But The Stones really didn't live up to their reputation.

I've seen 'parts' of that show.

Lynyrd Skynyrd blew the Stones off stage that day by all accounts. If you watch the Skynyrd DVD you'll see how great they (Skynyrd) were.

• 1 month later...

he's pretty out off touch with the industry and seems pretty set in his ways, I know the rollingstones have a massive fanbase and have made a big impact on music, but to make a comment like that about Zepp - just shows how out of touch he is with music in 2007/2008

Did anyone catch this article?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23388596/

I really do not and never did like this guy!!

he's pretty out off touch with the industry and seems pretty set in his ways, I know the rollingstones have a massive fanbase and have made a big impact on music, but to make a comment like that about Zepp - just shows how out of touch he is with music in 2007/2008

It's over. This was two months ago. "...to make a comment like that about Zepp..." What does that mean. He says he doesn't like Stairway To Heaven. So what? Did he ever say the sucked? Or that he hated Led Zeppelin? No. Let's get over it.

Archived