Band Of Brothers

Del Zeppnile

My Father never served in WW2 because he had 8 kids by then. :D

My brother Larry 'The Hawk' was in the 25th Inf. 'Tropic Lightning' and was at Cu-Chi in Vietnam in 1966-67. He doesn't like to talk about it.

My other brother Gene was in the Merchant Marines during Vietnam and brother Bob did two tours in the Navy there. Both have since passed away.

My nephew Ken was also in the infantry in Vietnam and didn't seem to mind talking about it. He died a couple years ago. :( His brother Bob also served in the infantry and is living in Washington state.

I was lucky (my nephew Ken told me so) and was classified 4-F during the Vietnam war.

I knew a guy who served in the Marines in Vietnam and when he came back he had a sex change. :blink:

My brother in-law Bill Hunt served in the Air Force in WW2 (not combat) but he was around a lot of planes and he took a lot of pics in Italy and North Africa and I have all his old negatives which are pretty danged cool to have and print. In one he's standing with a friend by a bomber that's called 'The Beautiful Ass' :D

Any that you want to post Redrum?

There's not many military/military history fans here (it's all these ladies overloading the place I tell ya :P ) but I'd be interested.

I don't have any way of posting them. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Band Of Brothers

I just watched the series on DVD. The hell those guys went through. :(

And I really felt bad for the replacements shoved into the meat grinder and the fear that they'd all have to fight the Japs too.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Hope its OK to post this, my sons wedding a month age, (4th from right) he is a serving Corporal in the REME and his wife is a Lieutenant in the RMC.

37SarahandDaniel27062009.jpg

The other guys are his brother in law (a Captain, far left) and his best buddies.

He's done 2 tours of Afghanistan and his wife's done 1 tour of Iraq, neither wanted to come home, not.

Regards, Danny

My brother in-law Bill Hunt served in the Air Force in WW2 (not combat) but he was around a lot of planes and he took a lot of pics in Italy and North Africa and I have all his old negatives which are pretty danged cool to have and print. In one he's standing with a friend by a bomber that's called 'The Beautiful Ass' :D

Got any picture's to share? I'm a WW 2 aircraft buff my self, you can find some cool stuff at this site ..

http://www.cafb29b24.org/

Always love to go to the air show when I get the chance!

Hi All,

Hope its OK to post this, my sons wedding a month age, (4th from right) he is a serving Corporal in the REME and his wife is a Lieutenant in the RMC.

The other guys are his brother in law (a Captain, far left) and his best buddies.

He's done 2 tours of Afghanistan and his wife's done 1 tour of Iraq, neither wanted to come home, not.

Regards, Danny

Congrats to your son and his wife. Thanks for posting that. Good to hear neither want to come home from Afghanistan and aren't disillusioned. The media likes to over exaggerate things.

I hope all of you enjoy this as much as I did :-)

Here's a video of an airman being welcomed by his dogs when he returns from 14 months of deployment.

Well worth the minute or so it takes to watch it - - - - -

http://www.spousebuzz.com/blog/2008/10/mans-best-frien.html

Awwww that was sweet. They really missed him didn't they? Doggies really are man's best friend. Can't imagine a cat doing that.

Hi All,

Regards, Danny

Wonderful picture. You must be proud

Awwww that was sweet. They really missed him didn't they? Doggies really are man's best friend. Can't imagine a cat doing that.

The first time I saw this I had tears, but feel good tears. yes, they are man's best friend. Still chokes me up to watch it...

That was a cute video ... And I can only seeing the cat coming to him if he turned on the electric can opener, or maybe just turning up it's tail and walking away!

We had a cat when I was a kid that would come running to the kitchen if you started the electric can opener! He associated the sound of the device for opening can's of cat food with eating! Me and my sister's would put it on him at least once a week just as a joke.

I know that was cruel but, we where just kid's then and he soon learned that it was not just for the cat food.

Wonderful picture. You must be proud

Hi Ally,

Very Proud mate, they are both doing exactly what they want to do and enjoying every moment of it, i just pray for their safety whenever they are away, and thanks mate.

kind Regards, Danny

Congrats to your son and his wife. Thanks for posting that. Good to hear neither want to come home from Afghanistan and aren't disillusioned. The media likes to over exaggerate things.

Hi Mangani,

Thanks mate, believe me, i'm all for supporting our boys and girls when the need arises, but these wars recently are far from moral or legal, but in the end when your own are involved i will always support them.

We talk a lot about what is going on over there and we all agree, its better to be non-political when you are in the Armed Forces, then there is no conflict of interests, i feel as sorry for the poor Iraqis and Afghans as i do for our own soldiers, in the end there must be a better way than this.

As Churchill once said, "Its better to Jaw, Jaw, Jaw, than War, War, War" and i for one second this.

Regards, Danny

• 4 weeks later...

I am watching this series again, this time on Blu-Ray with the picture in picture option.........Seeing the 506 Easy Company Vets descriptions of what it was like over the action is so moving i'm lost for words.......The hell those men went through.........their camaraderie, their brotherhood...........their bravery....This version has to be seen by everyone.

My grandfather on my mom's side served in the Army in World War II...I know he was in the Battle of the Bulge, and he also helped liberate a concentration camp. I can't remember which one, though...it wasn't one of the biggest ones like Auschwitz or anything, or else I'd remember, but he had pictures from it that are, well beyond words...that's one of the worst things I've ever seen in my life. :( I'm so proud of him, and everybody who liberated concentration camps, for having done something so honestly heroic for the sake of humanity like that.

My grandfather on my dad's side was in the Merchant Marines and Sea Bees (I forget which one he was actually in during WWII, though), and his brother was an Air Force pilot. He was stationed in England (and he met Cary Grant!). His plane was shot down over France, unfortunately. I definitely appreciate what they've done, and what my parents' and my generations have continued to do for us, as I can sit here and type away without fear of being killed, even if I can never truly understand what they've experienced.

Archived