Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
ZoSo88

Who is better than Jimmy Page?

Page is the king of the monster guitar riff. Keith Richards always gets the credit and the publicity for it.........but Page really is the one. The riffs found on all Zeppelin records are unlike any other found in rock music........then and now. Page also was probably the best acoustic player I've ever heard in rock music too. Zepplins' acoustic based music was killer. All of Pages' musical ideas stand up to this very day........there's never been riffing like that since.

I never got to see Hendrix, but I've seen practically everybody else. For my money, Jeff Beck was and still is the best. Nobody plays like Jeff Beck, he's almost like a jazz musician playing with light and shade. I was lucky enough to see Beck with the late great Stevie Ray Vaughn on their tour together. Beck blew his doors in....it was unlike anything I've ever seen.

The other bonus is Beck doesn't sit back on his past achievements, he still makes compelling records and tours with a killer band.

Regards;

Jimi Hendrix

He blew everyone away and scared many accomplished guitarists of his time.

I don't know enough about guitar skills to make a great judgment call, but to my untrained guitar ears, I'd say the Jimi had something that has yet to be rivaled.

Jimmy Page is one of the best though. I rank him right up there.

Apples and Oranges...but since I like apples better than oranges...

I can say that Jimmy Page has always been my favorite.

But, I do not consider him best. Don Felder, Joe Walsh, Steve Vai??? Give me a break! Even Eddie Van Halen...sorry...can't do it. He kicked the rock scene in the ass in the late 70s, early 80s and he has a place in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame reserved for him, but he by no means can be included in the top 5...would have to really think hard if he is to even make top 10.

There are so many guitarists that are so incredibly talented. But here is my very short list of the top 4... I don't have the time of day to think about 5-100... Here goes:

1, 2 - Tie between Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughn. The two rock gods of all time. I lean to Jimi because of what he did...what he came up with...had NEVER been done before...and that earns him a huge chunk of votes. Stevie is right there for being the only guitarist I know of who became one with the instrument...there was not a note or sound that he did not know that a guitar could make.

3 - Jimmy Page.

4 - Joe Satriani. If you don't know about him or think he should not be here, go see him live. Your jaw should drop.

Others who can play the hell out of a guitar: Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Pete Townsend, David Gilmour, Rory Gallagher, Keith Richards, Glenn Phillips, Pete Frampton, Jay Mascis, Porl Thompson, Michael Schenker, Frank Zappa, Alex Lifeson, Frank Marino, Reeves Gabrels, Billy Duffy, Dave Navarro, Rhandy Rhodes, Eddie Van Halen, Leo Kottke, Neil Young, Danny Gatton, Lindsey Buckingham, Neal Schon...etc...

Edited by B9Z43D@O2!

1. Jimmy Page

2. Jimi Hendrix

3. BBKing

4. Gary Moore

5. Carlos Santana

6. Jeff Beck

7. Eric Clapton

There are 20 year olds that can play just as well? No offense, but thats the most ignorant statement ever, and copying is not the same thing as creating. I have not convinced myself Page is the best because he's my favorite, its because i believe he is. Robert is my favorite vocalist, but i dont think he's better then Freddie Mercury. You got to be fair about things and i understand its subjective, im not trying to convince anyone otherwise. If people believe he isn't thats fine. But what I wanted to know is why people think some of the other guys are better overall, and i really have not read much solid or convincing answers.

My 2cents are that -jimmy page had a vision and a structure combined with a feeling, that not alot of other guitarists have.

first of all you cant have a "best" guitarist sure page is great however there are things you have to consider first of all pure skill and you can only judge this by what the guitarist plays i dont care if you like a band or not anyone can agree that a guitarist is so good but none can be the best.

dude, i have already said that. whatever

if i had to do a list, my top 5 is:

1.) Jimmy Page

2.) Eddie Van Halen

3.) Jimi Hendrix

4.) Eric Clapton

5.) David Gilmour

but like i said, you cant compare guitarists of different genres. these are juts my top 5 favorites.

Edited by JimmyPageZoSo56

Its all taste. I personally love Bob Dylan's simple strumming to songs like "Gates of Eden" and "Spanish Harlem Incident," even though most would consider that uncomplicated. I enjoy everything that Dylan has made; there is nothing that has disappointed me, whereas Page has disappointed me once in a while. And sometimes I need a break from the electric sound, so I get out my "Freewheelin'," "Another Side," and "Times They Are A-Changin'"

So for me it would go:

GUITAR

1. Bob Dylan

2. Jimmy Page

MUSIC

1. Bob Dylan

2. Led Zeppelin

3. Janis Joplin

4. The Eagles

5. Neil Young

Don't really care about anyone else, in particular.

There are 20 year olds that can play just as well? No offense, but thats the most ignorant statement ever, and copying is not the same thing as creating. I have not convinced myself Page is the best because he's my favorite, its because i believe he is. Robert is my favorite vocalist, but i dont think he's better then Freddie Mercury. You got to be fair about things and i understand its subjective, im not trying to convince anyone otherwise. If people believe he isn't thats fine. But what I wanted to know is why people think some of the other guys are better overall, and i really have not read much solid or convincing answers.

Ignorant? If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black...

I said very specifically, Page the arranger and the composer is top notch. Page the guitar player is not. When I say Page the guitarist, I mean raw ability, technique, improvisational prowess, where he falls short of many other guitarists. Van Halen is a more competent guitarist than Page, but that doesn't mean I'd rather listen to his over-indulgent, completely unmelodious solos.

If you believe what I said is ignorant, you have obviously not heard many guitarists. Where I am from, there are players no older than 18 whose technical ability can put long time veterans of the instrument to shame. Believe it or not, there are many players who picked up the instrument at very a young age. They're trained to play in musically complex genres such as classical and jazz, so that by the time when most kids around 13-14 are picking up the guitar to play their favorite songs, they already know enough theory to make long time players' heads spin. The guitar is such a "pick up and play" instrument, people seem to forget that some people have very adeptly learned via traditional methods.

In terms of technique, musical knowledge, and improvisational skill, almost any competent jazz player has guys like Clapton, Page, etc. beat. Page can extend Dazed and Confused out to 30 minutes, his live arrangements are brilliant. Listening to bootleg recordings from 1969 up to 1975, and listening to the arrangement evolve over the years is where Page excels are a musician. I said earlier, Page's creativity and versatility as a writer, composer, arranger, etc. are what makes him one of the greats, not really his guitar playing itself. This is a much more relevant aspect anyway. Led Zeppelin is probably the most popular rock band in history behind the Beatles (who this also applies to), because their songs themselves are so great. Page the writer makes Zeppelin great, not necessarily Page the guitarist (who was like I said, very competent). Why do you think no one gives a damn about Yngwie Malmsteen? Because in the end, as talented a guitarist he is, he just doesn't have the ability to write interesting compositions.

Edited by andrew

guys, lets keep the peace. we're just here to talk about other guitarists and Jimmy Page. if you wanna attack someone, do it in a private message so on one else has to hear it. please and thank you.

Page is #1 overall.

For me though, #2 is easily Alex Lifeson from Rush (whose favorite is Page too!). He's got great range, from pure crunching power to lots of nice acoustic stuff as well. Great songs like Natural Science, Entre Nous, Broon's Bane, Different Strings, YYZ, Tom Sawyer, La VIlla Strangiato, etc. Rush is crazy addictive like Zeppelin. Their new single "Far Cry" is an instant classic IMO. 24 gold/platinum albums and 35 years of sold out tours, all with the same 3 guys too (Lee/Lifeson/Peart), these guys are a modern enigma of technique, feeling, polish, live performance, and chemistry. Peart's lyrics are great too, they really fit the music. Rush is so killer live it is unbelievable. Plenty of feeling, soul, and guts.

Players like Daryl Stuermer, Trevor Rabin, Glenn Tilbrook (from Squeeze), Joe Satriani, Al DiMeola, and the best flamenco player on earth, Paco DeLucia, are all original as hell and great guitarists/songwriters. Paco will make anybody's head spin with a right-handed nail picking technique that is so lighting fast and precise, yet he plays such beautiful acoustic pieces at the same time. His "The Guitar Trio" recordings with veterans DiMeola and McLaughlin are so tight it's ridiculous.

Ignorant? If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black...

I said very specifically, Page the arranger and the composer is top notch. Page the guitar player is not. When I say Page the guitarist, I mean raw ability, technique, improvisational prowess, where he falls short of many other guitarists. Van Halen is a more competent guitarist than Page, but that doesn't mean I'd rather listen to his over-indulgent, completely unmelodious solos.

If you believe what I said is ignorant, you have obviously not heard many guitarists. Where I am from, there are players no older than 18 whose technical ability can put long time veterans of the instrument to shame. Believe it or not, there are many players who picked up the instrument at very a young age. They're trained to play in musically complex genres such as classical and jazz, so that by the time when most kids around 13-14 are picking up the guitar to play their favorite songs, they already know enough theory to make long time players' heads spin. The guitar is such a "pick up and play" instrument, people seem to forget that some people have very adeptly learned via traditional methods.

In terms of technique, musical knowledge, and improvisational skill, almost any competent jazz player has guys like Clapton, Page, etc. beat. Page can extend Dazed and Confused out to 30 minutes, his live arrangements are brilliant. Listening to bootleg recordings from 1969 up to 1975, and listening to the arrangement evolve over the years is where Page excels are a musician. I said earlier, Page's creativity and versatility as a writer, composer, arranger, etc. are what makes him one of the greats, not really his guitar playing itself. This is a much more relevant aspect anyway. Led Zeppelin is probably the most popular rock band in history behind the Beatles (who this also applies to), because their songs themselves are so great. Page the writer makes Zeppelin great, not necessarily Page the guitarist (who was like I said, very competent). Why do you think no one gives a damn about Yngwie Malmsteen? Because in the end, as talented a guitarist he is, he just doesn't have the ability to write interesting compositions.

Well, your statement is still kind of out there even if you did mean just technical skill. Page has a lot of it. His speed is unbelievable. And let me ask you this. Do you actually play the guitar yourself?? And if so, how long??

I understand alot of where some people are coming from in regards to the technical aspects. And many kids do pick up guitar and become good. I still wouldn't call a guitar a pick-up instrument, however..I mean, I play guitar and playing LZ has helped me breach out into other genre's and i can do a fairly competent job of covering songs, but I am no where near...anything of Page's caliber, and neither is any other player ive met in person. If you want to see something amazing, see that youtube video of that kid playing stairway, that blows my mind. But other then that, just in genral, i agree with the other members, I think you are under rating Page's technical skills big time.

Page's technical skills are very average and sometimes lackluster. He doesn't have much speed, and when he tries to play fast, he is very, very sloppy (heartbreaker solo, especially live). He generally is a very sloppy guitarist, but it's part of his style. He wouldn't be the same if he was clean.

His sound is generally very dirty, raw, "improvised" and sloppy. I wouldn't like him as much he didnt have such a distinctive sound.

Edited by Timboh56

For me though, #2 is easily Alex Lifeson from Rush (whose favorite is Page too!). He's got great range.

Alex Lifeson has great range? What does that mean, his guitar has extra frets or something?

There's such a thing as vocal range, but a guitar's a guitar, range is the same.

I don't think I know enough about skills on the guitar to judge it properly, I would definitely say he is my favorite but I couldn't tell if he is the best.

Edited by Blue_Soul

I don't care much about the technical thing, I just know I'm still as enthralled by Jimmys playing on Led Zep 2 as I was when I first heard it as a 12 year old in 1969.

The scope and feel of his playing is breathtaking, the off the wall in the zone solos that drip with passion and attitude are forever etched in my mind.

He more than holds his own with the genius of Hendrix, Beck, Townshend, Clapton.. I also love players as varied as Neil Young and Jan Akkerman of Focus, I just love guitar full stop!

I have to say I've seen Jeff Beck 4 times in the last 5 years, he is still pushing himself 100% but Jeff is Jeff and Jimmy is Jimmy, neither is 'better' to me, they are both defining artists on the instrument.

Pete Townshend still gives a powerful account of himself live too and I think Hendrix would as well were he still here.

Well, your statement is still kind of out there even if you did mean just technical skill. Page has a lot of it. His speed is unbelievable. And let me ask you this. Do you actually play the guitar yourself?? And if so, how long??

I do play myself. I first picked it up at around 8, and I am 20 now. I am hardly a long time player, and have seldom picked up the instrument since college started, but I played fairly regularly for about 8-9 years. I DID take lessons for about two and a half years, from a very good teacher in my area (a locally well known jazz guitarist), which I unfortunately never took full advantage of. I realize that I have not been playing for very long (compared to older players), but long enough that I do have a musically trained ear at the very least. And long enough to have encountered many young players who are exceptional guitar players. (not usually those kids in HS who just learned to "pick up and play")

Think of it this way, no one thinks of Page the great studio guitarist. They think Page, the mastermind behind Led Zeppelin. Page played for many bands prior to Zeppelin, yet until he had full creative range, he was hardly the exalted figure he is now. There are many players who are known simply for this unbelievable skill in playing the guitar. Guys like Malmsteen, who I very much acknowledge, his music is horrible (and most would agree), is known almost exclusively for his ability. Guys like Page are very much the opposite.

Edited by andrew

I do play myself. I first picked it up at around 8, and I am 20 now. I am hardly a long time player, and have seldom picked up the instrument since college started, but I played fairly regularly for about 8-9 years. I DID take lessons for about two and a half years, from a very good teacher in my area (a locally well known jazz guitarist), which I unfortunately never took full advantage of. I realize that I have not been playing for very long (compared to older players), but long enough that I do have a musically trained ear at the very least. And long enough to have encountered many young players who are exceptional guitar players. (not usually those kids in HS who just learned to "pick up and play")

I'll just jump in here and say that I too have seen guitar players of roughly 20 years of age who are more technically skilled than Page. But that's not to say they could write songs as good as the ones Page was a part of.

Here's dynamics and feel to the utmost .....plus unrivaled orginality and crazy technical ability.... especially on the whammy bar.

and here's just plain blow your head off skill.....all while including subtle tone changes....all with no effects other than a tele and a fender tube amp. He can make that sucker do anything with it!!!

There's a reason why he was deemed "The Telemaster" and put on the cover of Guitar Player as "the best guitarist you've never heard of". He avoided fortune and fame and would rather play the local clubs than tour w/ the big boys which he turned down often enough. Same with Roy Buchanon...another local legend here in the DC area who turned down a spot in the Stones.

Feast on some of my hero....Danny Gatton. What he does w/ his right hand alone is to me more impressive than what VH/Vai/Satch and the rest of the shredders can do w/ their left.

and just for shits and giggles....check him out when he's showing off just a little....

http://www.dannygatton.com/Video/austin_slide.mov