Who is better than Jimmy Page?

ZoSo88

I don't think there is a best. It's what you prefer. Like me, when it comes down to it, if you asked me, I'd say Stevie Ray Vaughan was my favorite guitarist. Nothing against Jimmy Page, he's amazing, and one of the reasons I play the guitar. I listen to Zeppelin's music constantly, often awe-inspired at how good Page is. But there's something about when Stevie just launches into a solo, the way he tears into it, that just sends chills up my spine. I know A LOT of people will disagree, but that's how I feel. If I ever say "the best" it's just my favorite. Doesn't mean I think they're better, I just like their playing more. A lot of people don't like Clapton, but I think he hung the moon. You get what I'm saying? It's all about your opinion, because there is no way to measure scientifically the greatness of a musician. So, what I'm trying to get at, is that all of this crap about "THIS GUY SUCKS CUZ HE AIN'T AS GOOD AS PAGE!" is really the most retarded bullshit I've ever seen.

I've said it once, I'll say it again: if in order for a band or musician to look good you have to tear down another artist and say that artist sucks, then that makes the band or musician you're supposedly "defending" look worse. Their brilliance should stand on its own without that crap. So, if you're trying to defend Jimmy Page by saying that guitarist XYZ sucks, then you're actually making Jimmy Page look worse.

And honestly, if you can't look at the intro to Hendrix's Little Wing or Clapton's riff on Layla or SRV tearing into a song like Pride And Joy and can't see beauty, then you're blind in your love of Zeppelin. And this is coming from a very loving Led Zeppelin fan who just wants them to TOUR!

By the way, this was meant for those that just trash other artists, not those that come up with good discussion.

• 3 years later...

Love his "Star Spangled Banner" !

I rate musicians on overall quality of their music, the show of emotion, and their personality. Based on Led Zeppelin's years of material there is only one song that I can say I do not enjoy; Hot Dog. Jimi had a lot of great hits, but not all of them are "great" like Zeppelin's. That's just my opinion. Regarding Jimmy's personality....a musician can be fantastic, but if his personality sucks, well forget it. I won't spend a dime on him.

Laughing at Zeppfan ! Hubby's reading Ritchie Blackmore by Jerry Bloom and the picture of Blackmore on the cover freaks me out! Wouldn't mind reading it myself, but I don't think I can bring myself to actually hold the book in my hands that long. Maybe I'll start by listening to some of his music. Never heard anything of his.

Laughing at Zeppfan ! Hubby's reading Ritchie Blackmore by Jerry Bloom and the picture of Blackmore on the cover freaks me out! Wouldn't mind reading it myself, but I don't think I can bring myself to actually hold the book in my hands that long. Maybe I'll start by listening to some of his music. Never heard anything of his.

You've never heard any of Blackmore's solo stuff or do you mean in general (as in Deep Purple and Rainbow)?

I've listened to Deep Purple but never heard any of Blackmore's solo stuff. Not sure I want to....lol...I mean what if he's better than Jimmy? Then I'm going to have to reconfigure my whole way of thinking! ;) I can't have that!

Haven't heard much of it myself but then again I'm not really into that style of music. I'm sure lots of people love it, I'm just not one of them.

Quick story....a friend of mine (engineer for The Music Shed, NOLA) used to work at Sound Chek Music back in the day (mid-late 80's). Out of the blue one day Jimmy Page walked into the store and asked to play of few of the guitars. Eveyone was stunned, but nonetheless made conversation with him as he tried out/warmed up with a few chords, etc. There was a guy (regular) that came into the store a few minutes later (nobody told him that Page was in the store, as they were all standing around him playing) The guy walked up, looked at Page and said, "Dude, you know who you look like?" - Page replied, "Uh, I dunno-Ritchie Blackmore?" - And the guy shouted "No, Jimmy fuckin Page!!"- Page's answer was "Hmmm, never heard that before."..... My buddy said it was hilarious! This was the same week that he played the Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans,1988. Also his wife at the time (Patricia Eckerd, whom he had his son with) lived in Metairie, LA (which is where I live). It's about 7 miles from New Orleans.

Page also frequently visited the pubs/bars in "Fat City", whenever he was in town (a little area in Metairie-primarily consisting of night clubs) He was spotted several times at Dino's Rock Box and McAllister's (later called The Last Stop)

Edited by Rock Historian

I've listened to Deep Purple but never heard any of Blackmore's solo stuff. Not sure I want to....lol...I mean what if he's better than Jimmy? Then I'm going to have to reconfigure my whole way of thinking! ;) I can't have that!

Plenty of people would say that there are many famous players who are more technically correct than Jimmy and they would be right , there are. However, I think most Page fan's would agree that they love Page because of his ...Feel. Some here might need to Google that :lol:

Edited by ally

Plenty of people would say that there are many famous players who are more technically correct than Jimmy and they would be right , there are. However, I think most Page fan's would agree that they love Page because of his ...Feel. Some here might need to Google that :lol:

Page is like the old blues player Hubert Sumlin, he plays the right thing at the right. Zeppelin's material is so carefully crafted and orchestrated by Page, it just towers against everything else, period. You have to have a ear for it, musician or not. Fuck opinions, Zeppelin is the best.

Technicallity is great, I can play all that yngwie and steve vai stuff myself, I learned how to do that stuff when i was 15. But playing the blues & studying Page is where you go if you want to be musically inclined and get to that great feeling of accomplishment as a musician. Feel is what ladie music wants, not technical ability.

That all being said, Richie is still easily in my top ten guitarists, great musician. Solo stuff is excellent as well.

Edited by Flyingzepp

nobody! Eddie Van Halen is right behind him though

Sniffin' his farts... Screw Eddie Van Halen. He doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence with Mr. Page. And with all of my respect to Mr. Steve Vai, his admitted technical proficiency isn't enough to place him in Mr. Page's strata of players.

Who's better than Jimmy Page AT WHAT? :-) That's the question! Hendrix might have been better at improvisation. Jeff Beck might have been more fluid a guitarist. Ritchie Blackmore might have been more classically inclined. Django Reinhardt played Jazz, not the Blues, and certainly not Rock & Roll. Paul McCartney might have been a better songwriter. Frank Zappa might have been a better soloist. But the *total package*? It's hard to imagine anyone who covered more bases and was better all-around than Jimmy Page.

Sometimes it takes 115 posts to reach a logical conclusion.

Stop. Thread. Here.

Oh, Blackmore's solo stuff *is* top-notch! I saw him 8 or 9 times with Rainbow, and 2 or 3 times with Deep Purple post-1984, once Co-headlining "Monsters Of Rock" in Nuremburg in '86 with Dio, if somewhat foggy memory serves. Better than Jimmy? Not when Jimmy's with Led Zeppelin; solo? Much harder to say...

• 2 weeks later...

Jimmy Page was the best composer/songwriter/riff guitarist by far. He also had some great solos. That's why I prefer to listen to his stuff over guys like Clapton, Hendrix, etc. Other guitarists might be more technical, faster, flashier, tighter, but Jimmy's songs are the best.