Who is better than Jimmy Page?

ZoSo88

And yes Night Flight, Stanley Jordan is scary talented!!! :thumbsup:

It's crazy bro, one guy and it sounds like three or four are playing at the same time. Obviously it's all a matter of taste, but this guy could share the stage with anybody.

:o

Edited by Night Flight

If i had posted the original question in apurple thread, the answer would have been exactly the oposite. As I like both bands so much, I have to say that sometimes is better bblackmore and others page, and the same with bonzo and paice.

Would you consider plant a better frontman than Jim Morrison? hmmmm

wow that is some question alright. well, I can't describe where I'd put Jim Morrison he was with us way too short a time...he was truly in a league of his own and one of my favorite innovators, creative artists...way way way ahead of his time...

and i agree on the DP and LZ comparisons...and how people may view them. I've seen both many times and i've been most influenced by LZ myself...that's just me tho

Edited by madison

I´m afraid Purple does get a lot of recognition.

I didn't say they DON'T get recognition. I said they don't get AS MUCH recognition as Zeppelin, both in hard rock circles and in general music circles..........and quite rightly because they were never in the same league as Led Zeppelin.

Led Zeppelin are in the top tier of the biggest selling, most revered and most legendary bands of all time. Deep Purple are not.

If they had not reformed in the 80´s, they would have achieved the same status of zepp.

You are joking right? Purple didn't even have the same status as Zeppelin in the 1970s.

Did you know purple wa sthe top selling artist in 73 in the states, at tyhe same time of zepp popularity´s peak??

Purple released two albums in 1973 in America. Zeppelin only released one and that one wasn't amongst their biggest sellers. Zeppelin were huge sellers in America from 1969 through to 1979. That's why they are second only to the Beatles in album sales. Deep Purple are nowhere near, despite having a much longer career.

And, I'm not so sure 1973 was Zeppelin's popularity peak either. It might have been 1975 when all their albums went back on the Billboard chart. The same happened in 1979 too.

And being plant a great performer, morrison´s voice has no equal in the whole rock history.

Nonsense. There were lots of singers who were the equal of, if not better than, Morrison. Plant is one. Mercury is two. Elvis is three. I can go on and on.

There is no singer that you can claim had no equal.

Morrison was a great writer and a good frontman, but as a singer he was hardly the greatest ever.

Edited by Mangani

Zep hasn't put out a live album that has matched Made in Japan, yet.

HTWWW blows it away. I own both and I was never impressed with Made In Japan. Live At Leeds by the Who is better.................and I'm not even a big Who fan.

The performance of Child in Time gives me chills every time.

Ian Gillan trying to be Robert Plant really annoys me on that song. Never really cared for it.

The whole reason why Gillan was brought into Deep Purple was in the words of Blackmore "so that we could compete with Zeppelin". Blackmore saw Led Zep in concert and he thought Plant was amazing and wanted a singer like him so that Purple could finally realise their potential.

HTWWW blows it away. I own both and I was never impressed with Made In Japan. Live At Leeds by the Who is better.................and I'm not even a big Who fan.

Ian Gillan trying to be Robert Plant really annoys me on that song. Never really cared for it.

The whole reason why Gillan was brought into Deep Purple was in the words of Blackmore "so that we could compete with Zeppelin". Blackmore saw Led Zep in concert and he thought Plant was amazing and wanted a singer like him so that Purple could finally realise their potential.

Disagree with all of your statements. I think you should let your zepp fanatism a little bit and expand your musical influences. It may be true that zepp was bigger when they were alive, but dep purple is a goddamn great band. made in japan IS better than HTWWW cause ir is a real live recording.

Nothing more to add, your statements make me laugh. I´m not trying to put zepp behind purple. I´m being objective by saying that purple deserves a lot more recognition from many of the people here.

Morrison´s voice gives plenty of sence to the door´s music. it would be nothin without his voice, while plant is not the focal point within zepp.

Ian Gilan´s screams were born way beforeplant entered the scene.

Zepp was number 1 in america, but purple were not that way behind.

You make some good arguments, but a lot of it is rather obviously biased. For example where did you get the information that Page would become better than his guitar teachers in a week or less, at such a young age? Your argument starts sounding like mythical 'fish' stories when you make such remarks. The human brain loves to look for simplified solutions, and also heroic figures, but truth is there really is no best guitarist, and if there is one, its definetely not Jimmy Page!

Also, to say that Page was always spot on regardless of how intoxicated is laughably innacurate. He wasnt spot on even on his best nights! He had a sloppy style, that was just Pagey.

I do agree he was an amazing guitarist, a genius, and contributed tremendously to rock n roll. He is hands down my favorite guitar player, but I know he is not the so called 'best' (nobody is). There are certain things he was arguably best at, like coming up with awesome riffs, hitting a really soulful note, his vibrato in my opinion is second to none -- but there are literally thousands of players that would leave him in the dust in other areas.

But I do know where you are coming from, and when I was younger I used to make the exact same types of arguments. Page just has a certain something that is so captivating it goes beyond technical skill. My hypothesis is that it was a metaphysical occurance stimulated by the joining of all four members in that band -- not just Page. They created an energy that was a whole greater than the sum of its parts, which I think elevated each member's abilities. If you listen to Page pre Zep and post Zep, the same fire is not quite there in his playing.

As far as Page passing by his teachers in a week or two. A few sources on that one. I've heard Jimmy talk about it, and talk about how he was largely self taught with little professional instruction besides those early lessons, of course its hard for me to find exactly what interviews and stuff he said those exact things. Although you can probably learn alot of this stuff from wikipedia, which is usually more accurate then people give it credit for.

I never said Pagey was always spot on when playing messed up, 1977 Seatle comes to mind, but usually overall played very well regardless, thats the only thing I tried to point out.

If you believe there is no such thing as a "Best Guitarist", thats fine, i could see why come would shy away from that title. But you say with such certainty that its not Jimmy Page.

Here us a list that CBS news made a few years ago. Again, many people have done countdowns and when you do this, you have to rank and sometimes even apply the label of best. Now in this case I would say this is one of the most fair professional ranking lists I have seen in recent memory and CBS is reputable, not just a random website. Even though I'd argue for Page above Hendrix, this is still pretty fair overall...

GreatestGuitarists.jpg

As someone who lived through that era, I think it's safe to say Deep Purple were a huge band. Purple were enormously popular......especially during the Machine Head period. They were another band who could flat out play and put on a great live show. Personally speaking, I don't think Ritchie Blackmore was as good as he thought he was, but hey that's just me. But the guitar/hammond organ sound that they had was very unique. They were great when Gillian sang with them.

Regards;

No way can you put Hendrix above Page. Not enough material. Him and Rhodes are two that may have given him a run for his money but they died too soon. Here is my all time list in order:

Jimmy Page (by far)

Clapton

Henrix

Then a tie between many (Rhodes, Betts, Santana, Van Halen, and some that I cant bring to mind)

Bass (Entwistle and Jones tied)

Keyboards (Keith Emerson hands down)

Drums: Bonzo first

Moon second

I know this is a Zep forum and we should keep it to Zep conversations only, but here I need to interject: If you like Page, Clapton, and Hendrix -- you need to hear about Glenn Schwartz. He is probably responsible for a LOT of the styles/techniques that Clapton and Hendrix built off of. I know Glenn, and I go see him play here in Cleveland quite a bit. I can tell you with no bias, that i have only once been so blown away by intense guitar playing by another player and that was when I saw Page in 1998. Other than that, Glenn does things on the guitar for 20 minutes straight that most guitarists couldnt even FATHOM doing for 10 seconds!! At the age of 67, he plays like he's in his 20s. Its UNreal, his talent. Quite possibly the best blues player alive. He knew Jimmy Page personally, however, given his current mental condition, he doesnt like to go back and talk about his rock star days much.

A MUST read if you are interested in rock and roll / blues guitarists:

http://www.clevescene.com/2004-12-08/news/...of-the-strings/

This threads have no sense at all...people do mix popularity and record sales with virtuosity. Many performers are overrated because of the bands they were in. The list of best guitar players posted above is ridiculous. Kurt Cobain can´t be in the top 20 and Blackmore out.

Why not make a "my favourite guitar players" instead of "the best guitar players"? After all, this is only a matter of opinion. I don´t kow how many of you know something about playing guitar. Ian Anderson from JT isnot very appreciated for his guitar skills, but after learning to play some tull bnumbers, I can say that some tunes are harder to play that many will suppose. Anderson has a very free way to play guitar, he doesn´t follow any strum pattern. Page himself called Anderson a "mason"!

I'm with a couple of folks above.

'Best' is subjective. It can't be quantified.

'Favorite', 'Of the greatest', 'Legend', 'Innovative', 'Rock God', 'Superstar', etc., ... these can always apply to Pagey.

Amen!

No one else is like page!

He really did break his finger?

poor Jimmy!

"May the ZEP be with you all!"

I say there is no best... that's just not possible, everyone has their strengths and weaknesses

I would say Jimmy Page is pretty much my FAVOURITE lead guitarist, but the best? ONE of the best.

Right up there in my opinion, are

Jimi Hendrix

Jeff Beck

Alvin Lee

Ritchie Blackmore

Jimmy is the guy who has most influenced my playing though and I love his style, his riffs and creativity.

I really don't know how someone could not rate him at all though. That's crazy..

Amen!

No one else is like page!

He really did break his finger?

poor Jimmy!

"May the ZEP be with you all!"

There is no best guitarist.. jimmy was usually a sloppy player live but thats also what made him special.. he wasnt clean but he was the BEST improvisational player ive ever heard.. he gets an unfair rep that he stole stuff.. only stuff he took was in the early years when the band was under tight deadlines.. .. he was a genius in guitar and producing.. he is a genius if there ever was.. he created new things.. was never afraid to change and welcomed change for the band's repertoire.. i think jimmys the best but thats cuz im a zeppelin fanatic.. i love the guy.. his riffs and solos are what make seperate him.. he helped along with bonzo create the greatest riff ever made in kashmir.. he is mystical as well with the black magic and all.. he is surely a man we will all quite never fully understand and that adds to the ZEPPELIN MYSTIQUE.. LONG LIVE THE MIGHTY ZEPPELIN!

No way can you put Hendrix above Page. Not enough material. Him and Rhodes are two that may have given him a run for his money but they died too soon. Here is my all time list in order:

Jimmy Page (by far)

Clapton

Henrix

1975 interview reprinted in the current Rolling Stone.

Cameron Crowe: Do you have any favorite American guitarists?

Page: Well, let's see, we've lost the best guitarist any of us ever had and that was Hendrix.

Nuff said....

Edited by Night Flight

1975 interview reprinted in the current Rolling Stone.

Cameron Crowe: Do you have any favorite American guitarists?

Page: Well, let's see, we've lost the best guitarist any of us ever had and that was Hendrix.

Nuff said....

Jimi Hendrix was the best "American Guitarist". The most humble people do not credit themselves as being the best. Michael Jordan never credited himself as being the best, and quite often the best say someone else is better, or they could never live up to the legend of so and so. Jimmy Page was being humble and please read the question closer. He asked "American" guitarist. We all know many of the great guitar players, Jimmy included were from the UK.

Jimi Hendrix was the best "American Guitarist".

In who's estimation? This is stupid, this whole concept of absolutes. You can't say a musician was a solid, undeniable "best". You mentioned athlete Michael Jordan. He has stats. He has goals, rebounds, assists. That's solid. A musician? You can only base that on sales. I guess Garth Brooks shreds Jimmy then. Get a clue. This is not football or automobile racing. Saying anyone is the "best" musician is like saying a NASCAR racer had the "best" paintjob on his car. Get some perspective.

It's like this, if you asked the whole forum which Zeppelin album was their best (and lord knows we've done that to death), you'll get pages of debate. If IV wins, are the people who prefer PG wrong?? NO!!!

For pity's sake, drop the "best" and replace it with "favorite". That's something that can at least be quantified in some way.

Edited by Evster2012

In who's estimation? This is stupid, this whole concept of absolutes. You can't say a musician was a solid, undeniable "best". You mentioned athlete Michael Jordan. He has stats. He has goals, rebounds, assists. That's solid. A musician? You can only base that on sales. I guess Garth Brooks shreds Jimmy then. Get a clue. This is not football or automobile racing. Saying anyone is the "best" musician is like saying a NASCAR racer had the "best" paintjob on his car. Get some perspective.

It's like this, if you asked the whole forum which Zeppelin album was their best (and lord knows we've done that to death), you'll get pages of debate. If IV wins, are the people who prefer PG wrong?? NO!!!

For pity's sake, drop the "best" and replace it with "favorite". That's something that can at least be quantified in some way.

And your point is? Please name one "absolute" I have stated? I've only given my opinion dude. Garth Brooks blowing Page out of the water? Why cause he's sold 10 million more albums in the U.S., yet about 200 million less on a global scale, Brooks lacks global appeal. And that is a more far standard because Zeppelin is only second to the Beatles on a global level of band sales. Why are sports statistics solid and music statistics useless? Anyone who knows sports knows that often the quality of players goes beyond the numbers, although stats are very telling. Same in the case of Led Zeppelin.

Led Zeppelin is not the best because they have sold the most albums, They are the best (in the most fair way matter of opinion will take you) and they have sold the most albums as a result of people picking up on that.

If your criteria for greatest is Album Sales and Attendance Figures:

Zeppelin wins because they averaged the most album sales (per-album) of all time, surpassing the Beatles. They broke Beatles attendance figures and remain the US's largest historical attraction strictly on numbers.

If your criteria is legacy and influence:

Harder to interpret but reviews, books, Rolling Stone Mag, etc...have spoke volumes about LZ's influence but its more telling when you year it from the countless musicians and Zep-clones. They could very well take that honor as well.

If your criteria is music:

Just listen, if you don't understand...the Zeppelin has flown right over you.

Of if you take the conservative stance that you can't pick a best. Thats fine. But you know what? Many people have done countdowns, surveys, and rankings. Its just human nature to compare. If you believe that Zeppelin is on the same level as quite a few other bands, I think their music has escaped you a bit (although people who believe its more even tend to think their point of view is more logical, which it isn't). But why get offended by people comparing, and the countless legions of us sticking up for and Supporting (the man who doesn't need it) Page as being the best. If you think you cant award that title..fine. But plenty of people see enough brilliance in his work to be bold enough to make these statements.

So like i said...if you think a best isn't possible...fine. And if you do think we can compare and contrast...god knows there is enough ammunition to rank Pagey and the band as #1.

Clearly the last two posters didn't read my first response. The one where I said I've been a musician for 30+ years because of Jimmy Page. That he's my hero and my idol, and in my OPINION he's the greatest rock musician of all time. I'm just keeping it real and saying these things are subjective. You won't convince a Hendrix fan no matter what you say. That's the point. I'm all for celebrating our heroes and giving them out accolades, but I'm also saying it's naive to speak in absolutes. Like I said before, Jimmy said himself "I'm no Alan Holdsworth". I guess your opinion is more focused than his. I'm not trying to beat anybody up, or cause trouble. I just don't view the musical world through rose colored glasses. There's room for everyone. But stating personal opinion as fact is futile.