Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
ZoSo88

Who is better than Jimmy Page?

Zeppelin is my fav band and Page is my fav guitar player.......but to me rock guitar playing all starts and ends with Jimi Hendrix! and as far as rock/pop bands go......it all starts and ends with The Beatles !

cheers

Well i ask you and all the other people who put Hendrix first this question...How many "great" Hendrix songs are there? Sadly he died to young we all know that which really sucks because he could have made more great music. Of course you have stuff like "all along the watchtower", "Purple Haze, "Voodoo Child", "Foxy Lady", etc...but how many truely genius stuff is there that just makes you stand still in amazement? I know Page was so clever and crafty with riff making, but there are countless songs, even outside the Zeppelin community that are catchy as hell and unbelievable. I know Hendrix could have made more had he lived longer, but just because he died young does not mean we can just credit him with that assumption as if he made 10 extra years of classics. Certainly not bashing Jimi, who i concider 2nd best and one of my all time favorites, Im just saying Zeppelin had far more Quality and Quantity....and Even albums like LZ I and LZ 2 are more consistantly good then "Are You Experienced" in my opinion.

Well i ask you and all the other people who put Hendrix first this question...How many "great" Hendrix songs are there? Sadly he died to young we all know that which really sucks because he could have made more great music. Of course you have stuff like "all along the watchtower", "Purple Haze, "Voodoo Child", "Foxy Lady", etc...but how many truely genius stuff is there that just makes you stand still in amazement? I know Page was so clever and crafty with riff making, but there are countless songs, even outside the Zeppelin community that are catchy as hell and unbelievable. I know Hendrix could have made more had he lived longer, but just because he died young does not mean we can just credit him with that assumption as if he made 10 extra years of classics. Certainly not bashing Jimi, who i concider 2nd best and one of my all time favorites, Im just saying Zeppelin had far more Quality and Quantity....and Even albums like LZ I and LZ 2 are more consistantly good then "Are You Experienced" in my opinion.

For a guy that was around about 2 or 3 years Jimi has a bunch of great songs. Of course there's the more popular stuff like Purple Haze, Hey Joe, All Along the Watchtower, Foxy Lady, but there's also Manic Depression, Red House, Voodoo Chille, Crosstown Traffic, Wind Cries Mary, Castles Made of Sand, Bold as Love. He was amazing.

Machine Gun beats just about everything ever made.

Red House is one of the best blues songs of all time.

Voodoo Chile is up there as well.

Voodoo Child (Slight Return) has fantastic guitar work

Foxy Lady is a classic

Manic Depression really speaks to people

Little Wing was brilliantly composed

Hey Joe was the song that got him to the spotlight, and deservingly so

The Star Spangled Banner performance at Woodstock is one of the best political statements of all time, if not the best.

I'm stopping now because I'd be redundant, not because I ran out.

Not to mention that beyond his artistic mastery on the first and last ones on these lists, he was technically brilliant. Could anyone realistically EVER do Machine Gun ever again? I'd have to say no.

think a lot of people confuse Jimmy Page's supposed sloppiness with the improvised aspect of his live playing. When you make it up as you go along it is not always going to be clean and neat.

As he stated he Would Rather Live a day as a Lion than a Thousand as a Lamb.

Also, one of the features of many of Jimmy Pages solo's is the stuttering effect he produces before ripping into a long lead. This can be heard at the 3minute 09 second point of Prison Blues off of Outrider, and the 2minute 09 second point of I Can't Quit You Babe off of LZI.

This youtube link is a very good example of Pages technical skill.

This is White Summer/Black Mountain side from a T.V. appearance. Although highly improvised, it is very skillfully crafted and played as compared to the Led Zeppelin DVD version from Royal Albert Hall. To boot this version is played on a Gibson SJ-200 Jumbo acoustic making it considerably harder to perform especially at the speeds he's playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSRChVdIDeA

Granted the recording quality leaves alot to be desired

I think all the greatest guitarist have already been mentionned here, including Jimmy Hendrix, I like also very much Angus Young and Pete townshend is for me the incarnation of the typical rock guitarist... B)

Machine Gun beats just about everything ever made.

I'm stopping now because I'd be redundant, not because I ran out.

Not to mention that beyond his artistic mastery on the first and last ones on these lists, he was technically brilliant. Could anyone realistically EVER do Machine Gun ever again? I'd have to say no.

Excellent post :thumbsup:

Machine Gun is just a display of the endless possibilities of the guitar. The thing is that Jimi was the only one who could conceive it, and then pull it off. Hearing Hendrix is just the tip of the iceberg seeing the ease and flair in which he does it brings it to a whole new level. Stevie Ray is another example of a guy who was one with the guitar, like it was part of his body.

Hendrix gets hurt in these discussions because 3/4 of his music has never been played on the radio, whereas virtually everyone is familiar with the entire Zeppelin catalog. We have all heard Purple Haze etc... But how many times has Third Stone From The Sun or Wait Till Tomorrow been played on the radio? It's the lesser known material that really sets Jimi apart from the rest IMO.

Anyone who isn't convinced at how brilliant this guy was needs to put on a pair of headphones and just listen to everything that's going on. His rhythm playing in Gypsy Eyes or the textures of Bold As Love stand up to anything ever done on guitar, but unless you REALLY listen to what he's doing your going to miss the boat entirely.

think a lot of people confuse Jimmy Page's supposed sloppiness with the improvised aspect of his live playing. When you make it up as you go along it is not always going to be clean and neat.

Jimmy doesn't have to be improvising to be sloppy, even in the studio some of his solos were a little "loose". It doesn't mean he's a bad player and it was definitely part of his style but if you play guitar you know Jimmy gets a little fumble fingered at times, it's not a crime. Besides its not like Zep was a free jazz band that veered all over the place, even though they stretched out a bit live most of their live versions only changed with slight variations over the years, it was a long way from "making it up as you go along".

Edited by danelectro

Jimmy doesn't have to be improvising to be sloppy, even in the studio some of his solos were a little "loose". It doesn't mean he's a bad player and it was definitely part of his style but if you play guitar you know Jimmy gets a little fumble fingered at times, it's not a crime. Besides its not like Zep was a free jazz band that veered all over the place, even though they stretched out a bit live most of their live versions only changed with slight variations over the years, it was a long way from "making it up as you go along".

not to take anything away from Jimmy,,,but this may be a different league altogether

Steve Lukather from Toto on Youtube...click below

Luke solo here

Edited by zepfan1

not to take anything away from Jimmy,,,but this may be a different league altogether

Steve Lukather from Toto on Youtube...click below

Luke solo here

Thanks for the link but I am not a fan of Luke.

Check him out here, he's all over the place, not in a good way. I'm sure it was just a bad night, he looks a little "gassed".

Thanks for the link but I am not a fan of Luke.

Check him out here, he's all over the place, not in a good way. I'm sure it was just a bad night, he looks a little "gassed".

first of all he is "gassed" here but to be honest, he plays his best when he is

this is just a blow away session

sorry my friend, but you are way off on this one

thanks for the link though...Luke sounds great and it's over- modulated too!

first of all he is "gassed" here but to be honest, he plays his best when he is

this is just a blow away session

sorry my friend, but you are way off on this one

thanks for the link though...Luke sounds great and it's over- modulated too!

So I'm way off because you're a fanboy and can't see that he's playing like crap because he's drunk and trying to upstage Joe? Kidding of course :) Like I said I'm not a fan, I don't like him even when he is sober. Different strokes for different folks.

So I'm way off because you're a fanboy and can't see that he's playing like crap because he's drunk and trying to upstage Joe? Kidding of course :) Like I said I'm not a fan, I don't like him even when he is sober. Different strokes for different folks.

well, if that's playing like crap ( would like to hear what guitarists say on that) ,,,then you certainly don't want to start analyzing Page here

like I said, different leagues here

I have heard it all. And of course the lead in "Watchtower" is incredible and a classic. He didnt sing like Plant of course and that probably took points from him like Beck having no singer.

What exactly does this have to do with their guitar playing? :wacko:

If that's part of your criteria it's no wonder you are lost.... Page doesn't sing at all, shouldn't that hurt his ranking as a guitarist in your twisted mind?

This has become the most retarded thread ever... (well almost...)

well, if that's playing like crap ( would like to hear what guitarists say on that) ,,,then you certainly don't want to start analyzing Page here

like I said, different leagues here

You just did, I've been playing since 1977. IMO his playing there is the epitomy of flash with no soul for the sake of being macho. But if you like it that's cool, I don't care. There are times when blazing sounds great, when jamming on a Freddie King song isn't one of those times. Whether or not Luke is "in a different league" than Jimmy is all up to personal taste. As good as Luke is I don't think he is "end all" of guitar playing and what he does does nothing for me, that's where taste comes in. Most musicians will tell you enjoying music is all about how it connects and relates to them on a personal level, it's not a pissing contest or some kind macho penis measuring contest. That crap is best left to junior high kids and wannabe's who don't know any better.

Edited by danelectro

As many great players that have been listed on this thread I dont think there is one of them that coud play this: (watch whole video)

guitar player

Not trying to say this guy is the 'best' either, just that there are always different areas one can excel in, and to try and compare them is pretty pointless.

As many great players that have been listed on this thread I dont think there is one of them that coud play this: (watch whole video)

guitar player

Not trying to say this guy is the 'best' either, just that there are always different areas one can excel in, and to try and compare them is pretty pointless.

That was AWESOME!

You just did, I've been playing since 1977. IMO his playing there is the epitomy of flash with no soul for the sake of being macho. But if you like it that's cool, I don't care. There are times when blazing sounds great, when jamming on a Freddie King song isn't one of those times. Whether or not Luke is "in a different league" than Jimmy is all up to personal taste. As good as Luke is I don't think he is "end all" of guitar playing and what he does does nothing for me, that's where taste comes in. Most musicians will tell you enjoying music is all about how it connects and relates to them on a personal level, it's not a pissing contest or some kind macho penis measuring contest. That crap is best left to junior high kids and wannabe's who don't know any better.

first of all, you are saying he plays with "no soul"? c'mon, the guys has been the most sought after studio guitar player for the last 20 years. I am pretty sure hre plays with soul. Does he hack around when he wants? sure, so what?

you put up a youtube link where even Satriani was blown away and Luke is just hacking around

drunk

you know how many youtube links show Luke at his best?

my point is not alot of guys can play like that and the best, including VH, will tell you that any day of the week.

If you want to critique Page, then fire away

jeff beck is a great guitarist. its a shame that he never had a popular band like page, hendrix, or clapton. :whistling:

first of all, you are saying he plays with "no soul"? c'mon, the guys has been the most sought after studio guitar player for the last 20 years. I am pretty sure hre plays with soul. Does he hack around when he wants? sure, so what?

you put up a youtube link where even Satriani was blown away and Luke is just hacking around

drunk

you know how many youtube links show Luke at his best?

my point is not alot of guys can play like that and the best, including VH, will tell you that any day of the week.

If you want to critique Page, then fire away

Please read what I posted, I am speaking specifically about that one performance. Like I said Luke is not my cup of tea, I appreciate what he does as a guitarist but it does nothing for ME personally.

BTW if you think Satch is blown away you need to watch it again, appalled is more like it. IMO Joe, who is not one my my fave players either, does his best to keep the entire thing from falling apart. Especially at the end when Steve leaves taste and good judgement in favor of wanking. Joe keeps his cool and lets Luke be drunk instead of opening a can of whoop ass on him, that's class and respect. But I know that's not all Luke does, he's a great player I just don't like what he does. You shouldn't be offended that I don't like him and it shouldn't be a surprise that everybody on earth doesn't like the same things. I don't listen to music so others can agree with my taste I listen because of how it makes me feel. Like I said it's not a contest or race and if people out there listen to music only as a way to determine who is the fastest gun in town they are missing out on what music is all about.

good stuff , but that is guitar picking which is different

try this,,,,now this is intricate guitar picking where the guy actually fingerpicks the vocals and harmonies from a song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt1fB62cGbo

Yeah I've seen all of Andy's stuff on youtube. I appreciate the difficulty of what he does and he has an amazing way of arranging songs and incorporating the entire content of song for guitar but it's not for me. I would never buy a cd of it, but yeah he is like a human jukebox, really amazing talent.

Yeah I've seen all of Andy's stuff on youtube. I appreciate the difficulty of what he does and he has an amazing way of arranging songs and incorporating the entire content of song for guitar but it's not for me. I would never buy a cd of it, but yeah he is like a human jukebox, really amazing talent.

Agreed...as some may like Plant over Freddie as so on and so on

it's all personal taste unless someone really has zero talent and is still popular.

always good to agree on disagreeing :D

Agreed...as some may like Plant over Freddie as so on and so on

it's all personal taste unless someone really has zero talent and is still popular.

always good to agree on disagreeing :D

I agree :). Do you have any other vids to post? I'll see if I can round up some more sweet guitar stuff.

I agree :). Do you have any other vids to post? I'll see if I can round up some more sweet guitar stuff.

a guy in my office building showed me this the other day

it is the 4th or 5th most viewed video on youtube?

you probably saw this already right? this kid is good! what do u think?

youtube most viewed

to the many I've listed I think Robin Trower should be mentioned. think he's great too and under-rated.