Who is better than Jimmy Page?

ZoSo88

Reading this thread made me register so I could give my opinion. First this reply is not to anyone specifically.

Reading some posts it is clear that some can not objectively distinguish Favorite guitar player from the "Best" or greatest guitar player ever. I can not play and I think the people who do play have the most valid points. Here are some of mine.

I was always under the spell that Page was the greatest and drank the koolaid for the longest time. Many many times going to Midnight movie showings of TSRTS. So my only informed opinion of Page was The song remains the same movie and soundtrack. I would get in terrible arguments with people who challenged the notion that someone else was better. People would watch the movie with me and point out the obvious mistakes and I wouldn't listen. I even read an interview that Jimmy Page himself would rank Jeff Beck ahead of himself and he said the best was probably a kid somewhere in a bar band that practiced every day and was never heard of and would probably never be discovered.

The person who started this thread (I believe) is what made me respond (to something so subjective) said Even when Page was highly "intoxicated" he still never was sloppy. This is were passion out rules judgement. I have all of the Bootleg dvd's of Zep's performances, 1975 Ablert Hall entire concert, 1977 Seatle entire show, and 1979 Knebworth entire show. The outtakes of these that made it to the 2003 DVD are examples of good / great performaces. Why were none of the 1977 performances included, Page doesn't have them? NO, He has them. The fact is if you have ever seen that show especially the full show you would have to cringe / cry at the performace of Jimmy Page. That whole tour he was wacked out of his mind on heroin (fact) and could harldly stand up and make it through a good song. Dazed and Confused was dropped, Ten Years gone was good but not near the challenge DC would have been. Even Percy pointed out that Page was never the same After he broke his finger before the 75 tour as a result of the layoff he and Cole and Bonzo got into drugs as a result of the down time. They managed the 1975 tour because he wasn't hooked and could lay off while playing but when Plant's accident pushed the 77 tour back (a year) it was too late and he was in bad shape. According to Plant (I Believe) Page also got lazy with respect to practicing and his playing suffered at the begining of tours and smoothed out at the end. As for 1980 Euro tour it was even worse than 1977, I have many of the sound boards and if any of you are from the prescence board you know what I am talking about.

As for what would have happened if?? If Bonzo had of lived? Richard Cole's book said it best. He was in an Italian jail cell when a guard broke the news to him about one of his band being dead. Cole said OMG Jimmy is dead. That is how bad a shape Page was in that summer of 1980. Page would have died (IMO) within the year. It took him 2 more years to kick the habit. And then the Firm was formed which I have seen, as with Plant solo in 1983.

Greatest guitarist - technally no Improv - within a live set definitely soloist - Pre 1973 yes

Musican - speaks for itself

My favorites and from what I read.

Jimmy Page

Eric Clapton

Jeff Beck - not until this year 2007 when I saw him at Crossroads (Day in a life solo??)

Brian May - voted in top 3 by his peers

David Gilmour - rated 2cd best guitar solo within a rock song (comfortably numb)

Angus Young - How can you not like him?

Kirk Hammett - voted guitar player of the year in 1998, 99, 00 then his playing dropped off heard it was age and HE stopped practicing

Since quite a few people have intentionally or unintentionally knocked Jimmy Page, I'm coming to his defense. Now perhaps alot of you are very much Zep and Page fans, and like other stuff to, thats great. Not everyone has to pick an overall favorite. Some people do not believe Jimmy is the greatest or the best, and thats fine, but I want to know why you think that. But here is why I think Pagey is the best...

He is the greatest, most accomplished, successful, renowned, diverse, and skilled Guitar player in the history of modern music. It can be argued that Jimmy Page contributed more to the development of Rock & Roll then any other musician in history. It all began when Page first picked up a guitar when he was 12 years old. During a two year period, Page advanced at an abnormal level. He was largely self taught, took few lessons during this period, but would advance past the level of his teacher in a week or less on average. By the time he was 14 years old, he was on television performing. Throughout his high school years, he was known for bringing a guitar to school ever day, having it confiscated and given back when he would leave. By the time Page turned 18, he had began a steady music career. He breifly had a stint with the band "The Crusaders" untill he became increasingly ill and had to drop the band. About a year later, Page jammed in public places, and even played along side Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton. It was during one of these jams that he was discovered and hired to begin sessions work. The first record he played on was a single entitled "Diamonds" which rose to the top of the charts hitting number 1. It is estimated that between 1963-1965, Page played on 50-90% of all records recorded in London. He played with everyone from "The Rolling Stones" to "The Who" and so on. During this time be became the most sought after sessions guitarist in the world. He was offered to replace Eric Clapton in the band "The Yardbirds" but declined due to his friendship with Clapton, and he favored sessions work which was more lucrative at the time. He suggested that his friend Jeff Beck replace Clapton, and he did. Page would later also join The Yardbirds. In time, each member of the band left for various personal reasons, and Page was left with full creative control. He still had a tour obligation, and needed to push out a studio album, he went out in search of creating a "Super Band". There was a time when Page wanted to team up with Keith Moon (of The Who), John Entwistle (of The Who), and John Paul Jones. But lack of finding a proper lead vocalist put the project at a hault. At this point Page had to reform The Yardbirds. John Paul Jones who worked with Page before volunteered and Page accepted. Page then followed a tip about an 18 year old named Robert Plant. He saw Plant perform and signed him immediatly. Plant then suggested former bandmate John Bonham and after some negotiation, Bonham joined. Page, Plant, Jones, and Bonham formed "The New Yardbirds" and finished off their tour. They then hit the studio to create their first studio album. Keith Moon said this band would blow up like a lead zeppelin, and so...Led Zeppelin was formed. Page served as the bands lead songwriter, producer, and guitarist. He is credited as being "The Godfather of Rock & Roll" for various reasons. He changed what the sound of Rock would come to be known as by not only turing up the acceptable volume, but pioneering the ways in which music would be heard. He is credited as having invented "Reverse Echo" a technique in which the echo that comes from the result on an instrument being played, is placed before the note is actually hit, creating a feeling of unsual suspense. He toyed around with various recording techniques, putting amps in toilet bowls, odd room structures, even had drummer John Bohman play at the bottom of a stairwell and record the echo as heard from the top. Page played songs often too complicated to be played on his signature "Gibson Les Paul" and sometimes requiring the use of double and triple neck guitars, to perform the songs while in concert. His performance was second to none, often playing in a highly intoxicated state, without any negative effect impacting his performance. He wipped out Violen Bows to be used on guitars, and was inovative not only in his recording techniques, but in the way he performed his music. He had a stage precense unlike that of his contemporaries. His style in and of itself was so diverse, Zeppelin's music ranged from hard rock, to folk, blues, classical, soul, indian, arabian, country, and any other concievable musical style. He credited this to the high demand put on him when playing as a sessions musician. He had to adapt to every style they had because he had no choice of preference being a guitarist for higher. The years of sessions worked led to Page being able to fuse all the styles together in order to create his own distinctive sound. Led Zeppelin became the most successful Rock band in music history, selling over 300 Million albums world-wide. Page is the only pure guitarist to be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, multiple times, as he was inducted as both a member of "The Yardbirds" and "Led Zeppelin". His style inspired countless future guitarists to adopt many of his methods and techniques by incorporating them into their own music. It is for these reasons that I concider Jimmy Page to be the greatest Rock Guitarist.

JP is a pioneer, a legend....for rock and roll of our generation he is the best in a lot of our minds. But there are many many other guitarists that are also the best in their catagory. Michael Hedges was the best on acoustic, Joe Satriani was also the best for purely instramental music, Pierre Bensusan another best virtuoso on DADGAD...Malmstien, Joe Walsh, on and on the list goes... Thats just my limited opinion.

Does anyone have to be the best. No one will ever duplicate what this band did.

He is absolutely the best when it comes to playing Zeppelin!

*I still havent figured out how to navigate this forum and wont be able to find any replies to my posts...so..anyway thats my two cents.

Since quite a few people have intentionally or unintentionally knocked Jimmy Page, I'm coming to his defense. Now perhaps alot of you are very much Zep and Page fans, and like other stuff to, thats great. Not everyone has to pick an overall favorite. Some people do not believe Jimmy is the greatest or the best, and thats fine, but I want to know why you think that. But here is why I think Pagey is the best...

He is the greatest, most accomplished, successful, renowned, diverse, and skilled Guitar player in the history of modern music. It can be argued that Jimmy Page contributed more to the development of Rock & Roll then any other musician in history. It all began when Page first picked up a guitar when he was 12 years old. During a two year period, Page advanced at an abnormal level. He was largely self taught, took few lessons during this period, but would advance past the level of his teacher in a week or less on average. By the time he was 14 years old, he was on television performing. Throughout his high school years, he was known for bringing a guitar to school ever day, having it confiscated and given back when he would leave. By the time Page turned 18, he had began a steady music career. He breifly had a stint with the band "The Crusaders" untill he became increasingly ill and had to drop the band. About a year later, Page jammed in public places, and even played along side Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton. It was during one of these jams that he was discovered and hired to begin sessions work. The first record he played on was a single entitled "Diamonds" which rose to the top of the charts hitting number 1. It is estimated that between 1963-1965, Page played on 50-90% of all records recorded in London. He played with everyone from "The Rolling Stones" to "The Who" and so on. During this time be became the most sought after sessions guitarist in the world. He was offered to replace Eric Clapton in the band "The Yardbirds" but declined due to his friendship with Clapton, and he favored sessions work which was more lucrative at the time. He suggested that his friend Jeff Beck replace Clapton, and he did. Page would later also join The Yardbirds. In time, each member of the band left for various personal reasons, and Page was left with full creative control. He still had a tour obligation, and needed to push out a studio album, he went out in search of creating a "Super Band". There was a time when Page wanted to team up with Keith Moon (of The Who), John Entwistle (of The Who), and John Paul Jones. But lack of finding a proper lead vocalist put the project at a hault. At this point Page had to reform The Yardbirds. John Paul Jones who worked with Page before volunteered and Page accepted. Page then followed a tip about an 18 year old named Robert Plant. He saw Plant perform and signed him immediatly. Plant then suggested former bandmate John Bonham and after some negotiation, Bonham joined. Page, Plant, Jones, and Bonham formed "The New Yardbirds" and finished off their tour. They then hit the studio to create their first studio album. Keith Moon said this band would blow up like a lead zeppelin, and so...Led Zeppelin was formed. Page served as the bands lead songwriter, producer, and guitarist. He is credited as being "The Godfather of Rock & Roll" for various reasons. He changed what the sound of Rock would come to be known as by not only turing up the acceptable volume, but pioneering the ways in which music would be heard. He is credited as having invented "Reverse Echo" a technique in which the echo that comes from the result on an instrument being played, is placed before the note is actually hit, creating a feeling of unsual suspense. He toyed around with various recording techniques, putting amps in toilet bowls, odd room structures, even had drummer John Bohman play at the bottom of a stairwell and record the echo as heard from the top. Page played songs often too complicated to be played on his signature "Gibson Les Paul" and sometimes requiring the use of double and triple neck guitars, to perform the songs while in concert. His performance was second to none, often playing in a highly intoxicated state, without any negative effect impacting his performance. He wipped out Violen Bows to be used on guitars, and was inovative not only in his recording techniques, but in the way he performed his music. He had a stage precense unlike that of his contemporaries. His style in and of itself was so diverse, Zeppelin's music ranged from hard rock, to folk, blues, classical, soul, indian, arabian, country, and any other concievable musical style. He credited this to the high demand put on him when playing as a sessions musician. He had to adapt to every style they had because he had no choice of preference being a guitarist for higher. The years of sessions worked led to Page being able to fuse all the styles together in order to create his own distinctive sound. Led Zeppelin became the most successful Rock band in music history, selling over 300 Million albums world-wide. Page is the only pure guitarist to be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, multiple times, as he was inducted as both a member of "The Yardbirds" and "Led Zeppelin". His style inspired countless future guitarists to adopt many of his methods and techniques by incorporating them into their own music. It is for these reasons that I concider Jimmy Page to be the greatest Rock Guitarist.

http://www.manzer.com/web/index.php?thisid=158 <--- my next musical journey!

Jp is the best at Rock and Roll...

These are attacks?

If these were in pm's we'd miss out on some good points.

There are LZ sites monitored heavily by internet police, but this one historically has let people speak their minds.

Back on topic: I'm starting to look at this like an era type thing, Jimmy was the best for a time, but can we really claim that there's no one better when Jimmy lies dormant for such long periods??

What do you think?

Correct! What happens is when you come back, your starting where you left off...which is not where the rest of the world is. Having said that - he is still and always will be a great master of rock music; and he does risk loosing his legendary status of coming back after so long out of the game and then not playing as well or loosing the creative inspiration of new material.

If a new zep album is produced and sounds just like all the other ones....what would be the point.

His fire needs a brand new flame - and the Zep flies on.

You know I've done some music theory and played guitar for years. I've seen guys who could play anything that Page, Clapton, Hendrix, Vai, Van Halen etc... could play.

It's not really about theory of technical brilliance. If it were there are about a thousand guys out there who'd be tied for first place and most of them you'd never have heard of. Technically Page (and all of the other popular guitar heroes) wern't the best. There are people who can play faster, with more complicated techniques and fucked up scales, modes and arpeggios. That doesn't make them the best though..

Creativity is a big part of it, the biggest part of it really. Page was one of the most creative guitarists ever, but you can't actually work out a way to measure that can you? What works for one person might not for another.

Personally Page is my favourite guitarist, but I think there are other players who are just as good in other ways. I mean if everyone played like Jimmy Page, it would be awful, cos you'd have no Hendrix, No Jeff Beck, no Blackmore..

The best guitarist I've ever seen and met. I met in jail...this guy was totally awesome. His name was John Oaks...and he like many of us of the time had a severe drug addiction which killed any possibility of having the discipline to play for a career. But no one since that guy has even come close to blowing my mind like the first time you heard "Satch Boogie" or the first time you ever heard "Spanish Fly".

And I agree with you, generation wise and for this short lifetime , Page is my favorite guitarist too.

http://www.manzer.com/web/index.php?thisid=158 <--- my next musical journey!

Jp is the best at Rock and Roll...

Watching Satriani is odd for me and here's why. He's clearly very skilled, but the sounds coming out of that guitar, although crisp as just plain. He's missing that creativity and that edge that made simple riffs like whole lotta love, blow Satriani out of the water. And that Guitar/harp suff looks cool. But again, i think these sorts of styles are more interesting talents that lack the musical brilliance of guys like Page. Although I agree he is the best at rock and roll.

1. Jimmy Hendrix

2. Jimmy Page

3. Joe Walsh

4. Don Felder

The last 2 may not be the best, but it's their work that turned the Eagles from country musicians into Rock.

My list is based on technical ability not songs:

1. Jimi Hendrix

2. Jimmy Page

3. Joe Satriani

4. Jeff Beck

5. Eric Clapton

6. Alvin Lee

7. Steve Vai

8. Gary Moore

9. Robin Trower

10. Jan Akkerman

11. David Gilmore

12. Eddie Van Halen

13. Gary Hoey

14. BUddy Guy

15. Santana

The one thing I really like about all great guitarists is that they play awesome solos , without any of that grating , screeching riffs that are neither melodic or pleasing . Don't get me wrong , I love hard rocking songs , but there are so many average players who try to come off as guitar gods by playing these riffs . I haven't actually sat down and thought who is the best , but I do agree that Page , with all that he does , is by far superior than at least 99% of the rest of the guitarists out there .

Watching Satriani is odd for me and here's why. He's clearly very skilled, but the sounds coming out of that guitar, although crisp as just plain. He's missing that creativity and that edge that made simple riffs like whole lotta love, blow Satriani out of the water.

yeah I have to admit that I don't know much about Satriani, but that's my initial impression of him too.

It's too perfect.

It sounds like it was super manufactured and doesn't appear to be dynamic, meaning that it sounds like he plays it that way all the time and that there's nothing special about this particular time he's playing it.

Like I said, I don't know much about the guy, so I could be wrong, but that's what it sounds like after first listen.

And I don't think anybody gets that impression with Page.

He also doesn't appear to "switch gears" at all. It's just kind of like this long drawn out sound that is sort of like the Energizer Bunny. He just keeps going and going to the point of annoyance.

He doesn't create any depth with distance, because his notes are all so close together.

It sounds like some sort of Japanese video game soundtrack.

It may have taken Page 20-30 minutes to get out a "Dazed and Confused" tune, but Satriani's music sounds like he could go on for days like that, and not in a good way.

My list is based on technical ability not songs:

1. Jimi Hendrix

2. Jimmy Page

3. Joe Satriani

4. Jeff Beck

5. Eric Clapton

6. Alvin Lee

7. Steve Vai

8. Gary Moore

9. Robin Trower

10. Jan Akkerman

11. David Gilmore

12. Eddie Van Halen

13. Gary Hoey

14. BUddy Guy

15. Santana

You're seriously missing Stevie Ray Vaughan, who is more technically smooth than a lot of the people you mentioned.

yeah I have to admit that I don't know much about Satriani, but that's my initial impression of him too.

It's too perfect.

It sounds like it was super manufactured and doesn't appear to be dynamic, meaning that it sounds like he plays it that way all the time and that there's nothing special about this particular time he's playing it.

Like I said, I don't know much about the guy, so I could be wrong, but that's what it sounds like after first listen.

And I don't think anybody gets that impression with Page.

He also doesn't appear to "switch gears" at all. It's just kind of like this long drawn out sound that is sort of like the Energizer Bunny. He just keeps going and going to the point of annoyance.

He doesn't create any depth with distance, because his notes are all so close together.

It sounds like some sort of Japanese video game soundtrack.

It may have taken Page 20-30 minutes to get out a "Dazed and Confused" tune, but Satriani's music sounds like he could go on for days like that, and not in a good way.

Very very well said. And again, I don't dislike Satriani, he is very good. But in the same sense that when you plug Zepp tabs into a computer program, and it does not sound nearly as good is the same sense that Satriani could not play Stairway anything like Jimmy could. He would play it alot better then i would, but it lacks that certain touch and edge of humanity. Its something present in Jimmy's so called sloppy playing that blows technical guitarists out of the water.

You're seriously missing Stevie Ray Vaughan, who is more technically smooth than a lot of the people you mentioned.

You are correct, Stevie was great. That's my short list. Notice also that Steve Howe, Roy Buchanan, Lindsey Buckingham, John Paul Bourelly (are missing. Shall we expand with to fusion players like Al Di Meola, Gabo Szabo, John Mclaughlin? If you haven't heard Bourelly, he is a twin of Hendrix. I have played his CD for friends who didn't know it wasn't Hendrix, amazing.

Jimi Hendrix. But that is all. There are a lot of great Hendrix imitators out there (ha, I'm going to get blasted for that, aren't I?), but in my opinion Jimmy stands out by taking Hendrix's innovations and really making his own personal style out of them, instead of trying to sound just like Hendrix. I mean, I know that doesn't hold true for ALL '70s guitarists, obviously (I'm already saying, "What about David Gilmour?" and a couple others in my mind), but Jimmy just really flew with it like nobody else...I mean, he's the bridge between Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen - I wouldn't mind being in that sandwich! He provided the general direction of rock music for years to come! So yeah, he's pretty fookin' special if you ask me.

Hmm, bit of a hard question really. I don't think any real musician can ever better than another, it's all a question of style and emotional content in their work.

Looking at all time greats,

Hank Marvin, an all time great guitar player who brought something personal and new to his work. His sound was original, at times emotional and always simple. But despite the simplicity of his works, they were brilliant. Guitarist from Pete Townsend to Mark Knofler draw inspirations from his work.

Stanley Meyers, a genius at presenting emotion in his work, his translation of John Williams piano piece "Cavatina" to guitar for the soundtrack of "The Deerhunter" was flawless. It really gets inside of you, it's not an overly technically difficult piece to play, but very few if any have managed to make it as emotional as Meyers did.

Chuck Berry, many would disagree, but Berry had nothing to draw from, he was one of the first rock guitar players, to quote John Lennon "If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." Rolling Stone magazine rated him no# 6 on their 100 greatest guitar players of all time. Musicians from Angus Young of AC/DC to George Thorogood were influenced by his music and styles. Bruce Springsteen and Steve Miller began their careers as leaders of some of the back up bands that supported his performances.

These 3 along with Jimmy Page would be my top 4 guitarists of all time, for style, emotional content, originality and for overal contribution to Guitar playing. Stanley Meyers might not have influenced many main stream Guitarists like the others, but in Classical circles he is regarded as a very talented musician who brings a wealth of passion to his work.

To get back to the point, no one is better than Jimmy Page, but many are on equal footing.

• 1 month later...

Technically speaking - there are a million guitar players who can best Jimmy.

But has anyone sat thru a great "technical" guitar session.....BORING!!

Jimmy is a reckless, sexy, transient, off-the-cuff, genius when it comes to playing his instruments.

Boring - never. Technically correct - seldom.

But for my dollar - Jimmy is the one who deserves the money - every time.

After reading the first few pages of this, I got so fed up I with the overzealous rantings I had to just cut to the chase.

I've been playing guitar for 30 years because of Jimmy Page. He is my hero, my idol. No other can musician can touch him in my eyes. MY eyes being the critical point. To the individual going on about Page's technical mastery and speed, please! Page himself would (and has) said he's techincally not the best of players. "I'm no Alan Holdsworth!".

No one under 20 years old? Stop it! I could play the whole TSRTS soundtrack flawlessly, from cover when I was 16. That's a fact. I have tapes. Know why? Cause it ain't that fucking hard! Page is easy to play when you channel his style. And style is what it's all about. It's his style that makes him a musical genius. It's his uniquely odd way of using the guitar as a tool to serve the music that appeals.

This whole "best" thing is pointless anyway because it's a quantity that cannot be measured. I'd rather read what Jimmy has to say about his playing than listen to the zealous rantings of a fan who clearly isn't a musician. Sorry friend, your posts are well constructed and at times well researched. But you clearly let your love of the man cloud reality. You state opinions as if they were provable facts. That's dangerous business. Come up with me to Musician's Institute in Los Angeles and show you rooms full of young players who could mop the floor with Jimmy technically. You overstate his ability on the instrument while understating what truly he makes him our personal "best", that being the unique palette he paints with. That stew of blues, country, rock, rockabilly, folk, Celtic, Indian, and Arabic that makes Jimmy's music so deep and florid. He paints with a very broad spectrum of colors. Combine that with the imagery, the mystique and the showmanship and now you start to peel back the layers.

Best? Those who know me know my stance: Polls are for strippers. Favorite? Sure! Most popular? Go for it! But best? Leave it to questions that can be answered: What was the best year of your life?

Sometimes it takes 115 posts to reach a logical conclusion.

Stop. Thread. Here.

Jimmy is one of the best performer and guitarists of all time. We can't say that he's the best, but he's close. And we can say that there's a tie for 1st palce (a big one).

But he's no doubt my favourite off all.

Edited by Z88