The current state of rock and roll

JethroTull

You don't have to dig deep to find good music. You just have to open your mind - easier said than done, it seems. You will find wonderful, spine-chilling moments on American Idol and the likes if you can do that. It will enhance your life.

Or you can keep on judging and claim that everything mainstream is shit. Your choice.

Shows like"American Idol" ( or the original UK "Pop Idol " it came from) keep music on mainstream TV. That is always good enough for me.

*I tell you, the scariest thing about your original post, Jethro, is that you expect us all to make a judgement on "the current state of Rock and Roll" based on a photo. That's EXACTLY what some did in the 60s based on pics of The Beatles. Need I say more.*

You wont get a argument from me . There are no more good bands out there no Zeps,Queen,Stones,

Deep purple,Sabbath,the Who etc to me all of the new bands sound alike of course my dad said that about Zep 37 years ago.Dad was definetly not always right

johnnykidandthepirates.jpg

You wont get a argument from me . There are no more good bands out there no Zeps,Queen,Stones,

Deep purple,Sabbath,the Who etc to me all of the new bands sound alike of course my dad said that about Zep 37 years ago.Dad was definetly not always right

johnnykidandthepirates.jpg

Sounds familiar.

I draw no line between "classic rock" and what's out there today. To me, "Classic Rock" is nothing more than a term used to describe a radio format that doesn't play new music (unless it's by one of the core artists such as Petty, Clapton, etc.) so it means nothing to me. I'm just as likely to throw on some old Black Sabbath or Foghat as I am the newest album by The Silos or the Drive-By Truckers. It's all music to my ears. I'd hate to think I'd confine myself to just one era (or even worse, one style) of music. Talk about hell on earth. If it weren't for branching out beyond what's readily available I never would have discovered such wonderful artists as John Prine, Wilco, Slobberbone, the Bottle Rockets, Tift Merritt, Whiskeytown, Earl Scruggs or any of the other thousands of musicians out there who's music I've come to know and love over the years. I just couldn't imagine a world without it.

What "new" bands are you listening to? And besides who in the fuck wants retreads of Zep, Queen, the Stones, Deep Purple, Sabbath, the Who, etc.? I know I sure as hell don't. If you listen no further than commercial radio of course all you're going to hear are clones of bands like Pearl Jam and Green Day. Turn that shit off, open up your mind and let your ears follow.

Well I know you are one of the privaleged few to have seen the reunion. I was one of the lucky ones to have seen them back in the day (1977). Where art thou Night Flight to scold me for remiinding you? Where have you gone? Anyway, Knebby, do you really think this crap on American Idol can even compare to the great bands or singers of yesteryear? I think not. I know not. I can play and read and write music. I wont be fooled by poor material.

Did anyone until you compare it toZeppelin? If so I missed it , sorry. Jeez ICQYB I won't sit with you and argue that one. But I cannot join in the furore over these shows. They keep music on the TV when it wouldn't be there - and I LOVE that - and I have had MANY spine-tingling moments watching these shows, particularly the UK equivalents which I get more familiar with . I LOVE a good voice - whoever it belongs to and whatever kind of music it is. Leona Lewis, who won Simon Cowell's last UK show and who is about to take the US by storm, has made me cry a hundred times since I first saw her in 2006. I can't agree with you mate.

Glad you enjoyed your Zeppelin experiences tho! :beer:

What I meant was it's not going to come out and bite you on the ass on radio or MTV. That's what I meant, but we're on the same page.

Agreed. Even back in the 70s when Zep, Sabbath and others were all over the radio that didn't stop me from listening to artists my older siblings and friends were into. I would have never heard John Prine, Jerry Jeff Walker, Steve Goodman, Goose Creek Symphony, Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen, New Riders of the Purple Sage, etc. on the radio. Perhaps in very limited quantities on "progressive" minded stations but not in some sort of commercial sense like the other artists of the time. Same thing when the the 80s rolled around. Eventually R.E.M., U2, the Cure, the Alarm and many others eventually found a way onto the radio but it didn't start that way. It started with college radio programmers taking a chance on those bands. Same with reggae back then. It may have received some airplay but in most places (particularly where I grew up) it was pretty limited. It was a type of music you had to seek out on your own. The same held true in the 90s and in the 00s today. I'm really not so sure what's so hard about it. I know of many music fans like myself that have no trouble whatsoever seeking out new music. That's why I say I find it so hard to imagine someone confining themselves to just one era or style of music.

I draw no line between "classic rock" and what's out there today. To me, "Classic Rock" is nothing more than a term used to describe a radio format that doesn't play new music (unless it's by one of the core artists such as Petty, Clapton, etc.) so it means nothing to me. I'm just as likely to throw on some old Black Sabbath or Foghat as I am the newest album by The Silos or the Drive-By Truckers. It's all music to my ears. I'd hate to think I'd confine myself to just one era (or even worse, one style) of music. Talk about hell on earth. If it weren't for branching out beyond what's readily available I never would have discovered such wonderful artists as John Prine, Wilco, Slobberbone, the Bottle Rockets, Tift Merritt, Whiskeytown, Earl Scruggs or any of the other thousands of musicians out there who's music I've come to know and love over the years. I just couldn't imagine a world without it.

"Classic Rock" well, I was referring to an era as opposed to a definitive style of music. I'm quite willing to listen to just about anything once, and go from there. I should probably put more time in than I do to checking out new music but, as I said.. your posts have been helpfull in giving some of us a place to start

Simon and Nigel. Two birds of a feather. What do they know? Except how to humiliate some poor ass on national TV? Both assholes. And I know they feed off of pissing off people like me. Oh well. Dont take it personally Knebby that I dont agree. Hope you loved the Zeppelin reunion. It is the best thing you will ever see in your life!

Oh I know. And nowt personal mate. B)

But look at this, and if your spine doesn't tingle - I'm worried!

(PS Simon was already a multi-millionaire before he set foot in a TV studio. He is an expert on music - like it or not)

how can you watch that crap?

My teacher told me I was supposed to listen to and see everything, good, bad or indifferent; if it's mediocre, I'll forget about it, if it's good I'll appreciate quality, and if it's bad I'll remember to never do that. It widens perspective.

I draw no line between "classic rock" and what's out there today. To me, "Classic Rock" is nothing more than a term used to describe a radio format that doesn't play new music

That is so true. You would have to experience american fm radio over years to know how true that is... those stations killed themselves, just as the record companies did, for never dropping the price of cds since the 80s. It was boom or bust...and thats whats happened. Some stations tried to implement grunge or whatever else was new with "classic rock" here in new york and those few stations never made it either, was too late. I know its different out of the tri state area, but we have the few big stations and then an even more limited local stations. It truly is sad that major radio couldnt embrace variety... i heard a johnny copeland song on a blues show out of new jersey and ran right out and had to buy the cd. Thats what music should be, not the same songs over and over. That format actually created led zep haters and folks like me who hate boston and journey etc. because radio destroyed songs from "overplay" and ofcourse some of them suck anyway.

"Classic Rock" well, I was referring to an era as opposed to a definitive style of music. I'm quite willing to listen to just about anything once, and go from there. I should probably put more time in than I do to checking out new music but, as I said.. your posts have been helpfull in giving some of us a place to start

Point taken but I don't even look at "Classic Rock" as a time period, only as a radio format. I say this because I've heard such "alternative" artists as R.E.M., U2 and others on so-called "Classic Rock" stations which just goes to show that term has no clear definition. Hell, a few years ago radio programmers even came up with a format called "Classic Alternative" as if to confuse matters even more.

In regards to my posts, thanks. I've discovered some of my favorite artists due to word of mouth from relatives, friends, etc. With the internet, that way of spreading the word about music that moves us got a whole lot bigger.

That is so true. You would have to experience american fm radio over years to know how true that is... those stations killed themselves, just as the record companies did, for never dropping the price of cds since the 80s. It was boom or bust...and thats whats happened. Some stations tried to implement grunge or whatever else was new with "classic rock" here in new york and those few stations never made it either, was too late. I know its different out of the tri state area, but we have the few big stations and then an even more limited local stations. It truly is sad that major radio couldnt embrace variety... i heard a johnny copeland song on a blues show out of new jersey and ran right out and had to buy the cd. Thats what music should be, not the same songs over and over. That format actually created led zep haters and folks like me who hate boston and journey etc. because radio destroyed songs from "overplay" and ofcourse some of them suck anyway.

I witnessed one of my favorite stations go from one that was very instrumental in breaking local and regional artists to one that no longer played any new music, local or otherwise. That's a problem that's presently plaguing radio stations nationwide, thus we have musicians such as Tift Merritt and Mike Mills of R.E.M. speaking to Congress about returning localization to our airwaves. I'm fortunate enough to live in an area that has a very vibrant music scene. Back in the 70s and 80s it wasn't unusual to hear local artists on the local airwaves. Now, they don't stand a snowball's chance in hell at airplay. Thankfully there's still college radio and stations such as KGSR out of Austin and KEXP out of Seatlle that aren't afraid to play artists outside of the norm that you'd never hear on Clear Channel controlled radio stations. Thanks to the internet those stations (as well as many others) are just a mouse click away.

I witnessed one of my favorite stations go from one that was very instrumental in breaking local and regional artists to one that no longer played any new music, local or otherwise. That's a problem that's presently plaguing radio stations nationwide, thus we have musicians such as Tift Merritt and Mike Mills of R.E.M. speaking to Congress about returning localization to our airwaves. I'm fortunate enough to live in an area that has a very vibrant music scene. Back in the 70s and 80s it wasn't unusual to hear local artists on the local airwaves. Now, they don't stand a snowball's chance in hell at airplay. Thankfully there's still college radio and stations such as KGSR out of Austin and KEXP out of Seatlle that aren't afraid to play artists outside of the norm that you'd never hear on Clear Channel controlled radio stations. Thanks to the internet those stations (as well as many others) are just a mouse click away.

I listen to wfuv 90.7 out of fordam university in ny, they play alot of variety and practically no classic rock type staples at all. They dont have commercials, listener sponsored...they have npr news breaks, interviews, mountain stage on fridays, grateful dead show on friday evening i think. I just listen in the car for the most part, but its a good station. I heard an interview with the bodeens the other day and they played a few songs...how refreshing and worthwhile.

Hat off to tift merritt and mike mills! thats an important issue imo. A live radio show, interview and some live music is just enlightening, interesting and entertainment with soul...not just blasting through a time slot and making some money with commercials.

Point taken but I don't even look at "Classic Rock" as a time period, only as a radio format. I say this because I've heard such "alternative" artists as R.E.M., U2 and others on so-called "Classic Rock" stations which just goes to show that term has no clear definition. Hell, a few years ago radio programmers even came up with a format called "Classic Alternative" as if to confuse matters even more.

In regards to my posts, thanks. I've discovered some of my favorite artists due to word of mouth from relatives, friends, etc. With the internet, that way of spreading the word about music that moves us got a whole lot bigger.

I guess in the end, there really are only two types of music... the stuff we like and,the stuff we don't like. I need to get set up better to take better advantage of what's out there. I'll tell them to put it on your credit card :D cheers and keep the posts coming B)

I'll be tuning into Border Radio hosted by Rick Cornell on Duke's WXDU tonight at 8 pm, here's a sample playlist from a few weekends ago along with the link so you can listen online if so inclined. It's followed by the very excellent Soul City, also hosted by Rick.

http://www.wxdu.org/listen

Border Radio - WXDU 88.7, Durham, NC

Saturday nights 8-9

February 16, 2008

Tonight's show sponsored by Copper Hook, a new seasonal offering from

Red Hook. Sometime when you have absolutely nothing better to do,

I'll tell you my story about touring the Red Hook brewery in

Seattle....

* A Wreck of a Man - Arty Hill and the Long Gone Daddys - Bar of Gold

* Ol' What's Her Name - Dave Insley - West Texas Wine

* Broken Heart with Alimony - Buck Griffin - Frank's Best (homemade

mix--thanks, Andy T.)

* I Hope You're Happy - Jim Lauderdale & the Dream Players - Honey

Songs

* Heaven Sent - The SteelDrivers - The SteelDrivers

<Good ol' pure country. Baltimore's Arty Hill carried the Jason

Ringenberg stamp of approval. Among Jim Lauderdale's--excuse me, make

that *Grammy Award-winning* Jim Lauderdale (congrats, Mr. Lauderdale

and Yep Roc)--Dream Players are James Burton and Al Perkins.>

* Be with You - Tim Krekel Orchestra - Soul Season

* Bottom of My Bottle - David Childers and the Modern Don Juans

* Playing for Keeps - Beaver Nelson - Little Brother

* Sugarbowl - Kelly Hogan - Because It Feel Good

* Cry Like a Baby - Hacienda Brothers - Music for Ranch & Town

<A set of soul-ish country- and roots-rock. This is the kind of thing

that only liner-notes scholars give a rat's ass about, but "Be with

You" was cowritten by Tim Krekel and the SteelDrivers' (see previous

set) Chris Stapleton. Beaver Nelson was by request. And like most of the world, I have a crush on Kelly Hogan. It's that voice *and* that sense of humor.>

* Coney Island Heart - Tom Laverack - Cave Drawings

* Back in the High Life Again - Warren Zevon - Life'll Kill Ya

* Slaves of Gravity - Ronny Elliott - Jalopypaint

* Half a Man - Will Kimbrough - (EP)

<I don't know, these songs just seemed to fit together for no

apparent reason...>

* A Woman Left Lonely - Cat Power - Jukebox

I guess in the end, there really are only two types of music... the stuff we like and,the stuff we don't like.

...or, as famed singer/songwriter Townes Van Zandt (best known for the song Poncho and Lefty, made famous by Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard) was often quoted as saying, "There are two kinds of songs: blues and zippity do dah."

^the townes statement is a great quote. I am for variety in radio, but i guess satellite radio is going to do that...the airwaves were destroyed so they have to now sell it. Actually, i think satellite radio could replace music magazines....watch, that might happen, along with online publications of interviews and ofcourse phtotos. The diversity and fragmentation of the music business will promote this change too.

:Dquote name='Jahfin' date='Mar 1 2008, 04:11 PM' post='131653']

...or, as famed singer/songwriter Townes Van Zandt (best known for the song Poncho and Lefty, made famous by Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard) was often quoted as saying, "There are two kinds of songs: blues and zippity do dah."

The state off muic in general is not good. Hip-hop and rap are to music what AIDS is to sex. And it's creeping into everything.

Bullshit. I'm no fan of Hip Hop or Rap but they're perfectly valid forms of music, they're just not my particular taste. Remember, many of the same criticisms leveled at rock n' roll are the very same ones the small minded place on Rap and Hip Hop. Look back at the early days of rock n' roll when people were burning records, saying they were detrimental to society and youth and Elvis could only be shown from the waist up on TV. Oh, and my favorite: "Rock n' Roll is just a fad". People were saying the same thing about Rap and Hip-Hop back in the 80s but it's done nothing but grow since then. Hell, even artists such as Rush and Jimmy Page (gasp!) have embraced it.

^the townes statement is a great quote. I am for variety in radio, but i guess satellite radio is going to do that...the airwaves were destroyed so they have to now sell it. Actually, i think satellite radio could replace music magazines....watch, that might happen, along with online publications of interviews and ofcourse phtotos. The diversity and fragmentation of the music business will promote this change too.

Speaking of which, take a look at No Depression magazine's website. They may have gone out of publication as a print medium but the editors are already asking for suggestions on how to improve their website. Take a look at the blogs of co-editors Grant Alden and Peter Blackstock:

http://www.nodepression.net

:Dquote name='Jahfin' date='Mar 1 2008, 04:11 PM' post='131653']

:D

Highly recommended viewing if you ever get a chance to see it:

beheretoloveme.jpg

I think that rap/hip hop has sort of hit a breaking point...being that it relies so much on literal words, there needs to be something else to talk about, so to speak. If i see a part of a video with some hook from an old song or something...it just makes me think that its tired and grasping at record sales. There has to be something relevant, with a good musical thing to back it up...which on the music side, sometimes its just something simple with hip hop, but i havent heard anything interesting. I dont buy hip hop/rap music, but just notice that it seems to be in a major slump. Maybe jimmy came in with kashmir and p diddy at a time where it was sort of peaking?

Archived