The current state of rock and roll

JethroTull

What "new" bands are you listening to? And besides who in the fuck wants retreads of Zep, Queen, the Stones, Deep Purple, Sabbath, the Who, etc.? I know I sure as hell don't. If you listen no further than commercial radio of course all you're going to hear are clones of bands like Pearl Jam and Green Day. Turn that shit off, open up your mind and let your ears follow.

Where are you hearing this great new music? I listen to anything i have friends who tell me tool is awesome i bought all there cds .Well i still dont see it. Others tell me nickleback,3 doors down sorry no errection.Metallica ,Godsmack,Pearl Jam there alright but not quite up to 70s standards anyway theres lots of bands out there but as of press time they still leave me limp

I dont hear anything from so called major bands that is so impressive at the moment...

check out singer songwriters like townes van zandt for substance and bands like wilco. imo.

pj harvey,david grey and lou reed are good and pj and lou have some heavy stuff thats worth checking out.

Or go back to soundgarden and the grunge 90s stuff...which i listened to tonight.

Actually with the advent of the internet and stuff like satellite radio you don't really have to dig that deep at all, it's everywhere and much more accessible than ever.

There are more people than you might think that have little or no interest in the internet and satelitte radio.

Where are you hearing this great new music?

Not to be rude but if you've been paying any attention at all to this thread you'd see where I've mentioned where and how I'm being turned onto new music, not just now but ever since I started listening to music period.

I listen to anything i have friends who tell me tool is awesome i bought all there cds .Well i still dont see it. Others tell me nickleback,3 doors down sorry no errection.Metallica ,Godsmack,Pearl Jam there alright but not quite up to 70s standards anyway theres lots of bands out there but as of press time they still leave me limp

Well, I certainly wouldn't recommend the likes of Nickelback or 3 Doors Down but there's plenty of people out there who like them. Again, just not my cup of tea. I'd liken them to the Bostons, REO Speedwagons, Kansas', Foreigners, etc. of the past.

As for Pearl Jam, they're one of my favorites and I would most definitely put them up there with my favorite bands of any time period, not just the 70s.

I think that rap/hip hop has sort of hit a breaking point...being that it relies so much on literal words, there needs to be something else to talk about, so to speak. If i see a part of a video with some hook from an old song or something...it just makes me think that its tired and grasping at record sales. There has to be something relevant, with a good musical thing to back it up...which on the music side, sometimes its just something simple with hip hop, but i havent heard anything interesting. I dont buy hip hop/rap music, but just notice that it seems to be in a major slump. Maybe jimmy came in with kashmir and p diddy at a time where it was sort of peaking?

Like I said, I'm no fan of rap and hip hop, I was merely speaking to it's validity as a form of music. As for Page and Puff Diddley I was just using him as an example of one of many "rock" artists who have embraced rap, I wasn't trying to say their collaboration was an indication of rap at it's peak.

I dont hear anything from so called major bands that is so impressive at the moment...

Other than the new songs they debuted during the "working rehearsals" in Dublin over the summer and Supernatural Superserious, I haven't heard anything from it but the new R.E.M. album Accelerate sounds pretty good to my ears. Other than that, I don't really need to hear anything from so-called "major" artists to be moved by music. Once commercial radio went downhill in the early to mid-90s (at least in my neck of the woods) I began listening more and more to stuff that would never stand a chance on commercial radio.

Amen. Glad to see you arent buying into Jahfins bullshit

How is any of what I've had to say about the current state of rock n' roll "bullshit"? This coming from someone that flatout even refuses to listen to it.

There are more people than you might think that have little or no interest in the internet and satelitte radio.

Perhaps but there's also good ol' word of mouth. As I've mentioned I still hear about plenty of artists via friends and relatives that are well worth checking out. Prior to the internet I heard about lots of good music that way and still do. Besides, if someone cares enough about actually seeking out music they may like there's also the options of the internet, satellite radio, progressive and college stations (provided they're lucky enough to have one in their town) but those aren't the only means of doing those.

Perhaps but there's also good ol' word of mouth. As I've mentioned I still hear about plenty of artists via friends and relatives that are well worth checking out. Prior to the internet I heard about lots of good music that way and still do. Besides, if someone cares enough about actually seeking out music they may like there's also the options of the internet, satellite radio, progressive and college stations (provided they're lucky enough to have one in their town) but those aren't the only means of doing those.

I DO give you a lot of credit. I've lost my enthusiasm/interest in searching for new and interesting stuff. I did that during my 20's.

Other than the new songs they debuted during the "working rehearsals" in Dublin over the summer and Supernatural Superserious, I haven't heard anything from it but the new R.E.M. album Accelerate sounds pretty good to my ears. Other than that, I don't really need to hear anything from so-called "major" artists to be moved by music. Once commercial radio went downhill in the early to mid-90s (at least in my neck of the woods) I began listening more and more to stuff that would never stand a chance on commercial radio.

Well i guess alot of folks are waiting for the new rem and u2 records. But i think going and looking for the music is a journey all its own...thats what i did with led zep bootlegs back in the 80s and i just kept finding more music that way. So if radio and the music business has created a situation of the new and creative music being on band/artists websites, then thats an interesting time in music. in a way... but with singer performers and a big retro record/amy winehouse...07 wasnt good imo. Ofcourse i'm on a led zeppelin high so it doesnt matter to me now, but just saying.

I DO give you a lot of credit. I've lost my enthusiasm/interest in searching for new and interesting stuff. I did that during my 20's.

I've never lost my interest in finding new music. I'm always in search of that album you just want to listen to over and over again. Same for attending live shows. Not every one includes one of those moments that lifts your feet off the ground but every once in a while there's still one of those nights. That's what makes it worth it and keeps me coming back for more.

Ah. You have me there. dont know the names. And now that they ruined the classic station I listened to for over 35 yrs I dont know when Ill start listening again. I know you are not from around here. But a popular DJ is going to start up with a new stations in a couple of months. Until then Ill probably play (guitar) more than Ill listen. I think my distaste goes way back. To bands like Metallica which I hate that think they are Led Zeppelin. Or bands that were bad in early 90s. So some of your criticism is Im sure quite just and correct. I just dont have the time anymore,.

I've heard people refer to bands like Guns n' Roses and Metallica as "new" Led Zeppelins but I never it took it to mean soundwise, just in terms of popularity. Personally, I was never much of a fan of Metallica myself. In the 90s I did find myself getting into bands like Pearl Jam and the whole alt.country thing though. There were also a few bands that sorta slipped through the cracks like The Men, Fury in the Slaughterhouse, Animal Bag, etc. that didn't fit into the whole grunge thing.

Id rather listen to country than Metallica. We do have one thing in common. I am a huge fan of old Allman Bros and 38 special and Neil young and Mollie Hatchet and Skynnyrd and etc. I am not into pure modern country like country rock. But I did love Cash and oldies. I mean, who doesnt like Riing of fire? But I do prefer female singers in modern country like Martina McBride for instance. I love the old southern rock and Dicky Betts is one of my favs. So we do agree on some things Jahfin.

If you like some of those you might also like Drive-By Truckers, Ryan Adams, The Yayhoos, Tift Merritt and some of the other folks I mention here from time to time. I'm not into "modern country" myself but I do love me some Steve Earle and the other alt.country stuff commercial country radio refuses to play.

Not to be rude but if you've been paying any attention at all to this thread you'd see where I've mentioned where and how I'm being turned onto new music, not just now but ever since I started listening to music period.

Well, I certainly wouldn't recommend the likes of Nickelback or 3 Doors Down but there's plenty of people out there who like them. Again, just not my cup of tea. I'd liken them to the Bostons, REO Speedwagons, Kansas', Foreigners, etc. of the past.

As for Pearl Jam, they're one of my favorites and I would most definitely put them up there with my favorite bands of any time period, not just the 70s.

Cool you are entitled to your opion as i am mine .I have serveral pearl jam cds but like you said about a few others they are mediocre to me its just my taste. I have friends who say the same about Zep.They are crazy but they are still my friends they just have horrid taste. As for paying attention to the thread i caught the begining and missed some of the middle .I work a lot and have some sort of life away from my computer.Anyway as i said before to each his own .Take care

Ah man... these arguments never get old. The 70's purists just keep beating that rock n' roll horse... hoping that it will die (when in reality it's stronger than ever) because if rock is dead then it means they don't have to change.

Embrace the new and the old. The music industry has never really changed - the garbage has always been in the mainstream and on the TV. (ever heard of Tin Pan Alley, or perhaps The Monkees, The Partridge Family, The Osmonds? When was their heyday again? How is American Idol any worse?)

Actually with the advent of the internet and stuff like satellite radio you don't really have to dig that deep at all, it's everywhere and much more accessible than ever.

I got satellite radio for Xmas and I loove it. :wub:

I think that Classic Rock is a genre, not a period of time. It still exists but unfortunately isn't as prominent as it used to be, and the very few bands who still play it are hard to find and don't get half the credit they deserve.

I'm sure that when rock came in, Motown and Big Band fans would have been rather disgusted, as we are now. In ten years time, the whole rnb/hip hop thing will be over and a new genre will be in, that hip hoppers will hate, and rock bands will be even rarer. Nothing stays the same.

So, basically rock isn't in a good state because of all those crap bands like Panic at the Disco and Simple Plan who give rock a bad name. It may be a dying art but there are still some great bands carrying the torch.

I should have used a different analogy than "Classic Rock" to describe the period of time I was referring to. It wasn't called that when we were listening to it, but it is a term that is used a little loosely. I should know better. Rock music is and alway's has been about ..the present.

I use the term Classic Rock as a lose term. I think it exists because that music is very good music and maybe because alot of the bands playing it are still around and doing well. It sells very well to this day. If these bands had quit playing early on, their music and similar music may not be selling as well and it would be called simply oldies. If I wasn't for the British invasion in the sixties rock may be alot different today. The British really saved Rock N' Roll I think.

Actually, what I think they did is reintroduce it in a new way, to the people who already had it in their own back yards-us. Black artists got more respect over there then they did here.

She looks like the rockier version of Mandy Moore...:)

She looks like she's stepped straight out of the musical "Cats" with that hair. :huh:

And I would just like to add that I don't think there's anything wrong with the current state of rock and roll.

She looks like she's stepped straight out of the musical "Cats" with that hair. :huh:

And I would just like to add that I don't think there's anything wrong with the current state of rock and roll.

:) I have never been stuck in the past.....not even in the past (does that make any sense??! :)).....and I've always got my freaky antennas out for the NEW stuff out there, but at the same time I see lots of rubbish too. My point? Sift a lot! :)

Archived