Brave New World

Munoz

Hello, fellow forumers!

I have just read this book and was hoping to get your opinion on it. I myself think it was indeed very enjoyable, and the whole idea he puts forward is very interesting. It's the first book by A. Huxley that I've read, so mabye you could talk about similarities between this book and others of the same author? A discussion would be nice :)

Cheers!

/Munoz

Hi all,

Hello, fellow forumers!

I have just read this book and was hoping to get your opinion on it. I myself think it was indeed very enjoyable, and the whole idea he puts forward is very interesting. It's the first book by A. Huxley that I've read, so mabye you could talk about similarities between this book and others of the same author? A discussion would be nice :)

Cheers!/Munoz

Hi Munoz,

You might want to read this:

Huxley

KB

Thanks for the replies, I didn't think the topic would get so many:P Talking about wierd coincidences, this link was emailed to people on the FBO. http://livingwithstyle.com/1869955812-attn...ted7-juice.html

I clicked it and read through some of the replies and to my suprise there is a person with the username Aldous Huxley that has posted there. This was only a couple of minutes after I had finished the book:P

Anyway, you make a good point Manderlyh, I also thought they were "normal". Atleast in comparison to the "new world" people.

One thought I had while reading the book was " Would it really be so bad to live in such a society?" Obviously, for us it would be completely unthinkable, but the people in the book don't seem to be bothered by their own way of living, since they don't know another way, and had we been born into the same place we would share their opinion.

When the book came out it was provocative, to say the least, but assume that the book was published in the "New World" and the people there were actually allowed to read it. It's not hard to reach the conclusion that it woudn't have the same inpact on people. Then again if a book about the society of today was published in the same place, it would make people eat a lot of soma:P (Assuming, of course, that they were allowed to read it)

Thanks!

PS. It's a great book, it certainly makes you think, but I have read better aswell.

/Munoz

Yeah, I was required to read it in english class as well. I'd probably never have chosen it myself, so I'm glad my teacher recommended it. I think it was a good experience to read it, it certainly made me feel more secure about expressing myself in english, both orally and in writing. Note that my native language is not english, so this is definitely a great achievement for me:P

Archived