The Deep Purple Thread

eagle87

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have read the news, You'd better vote the band...

Deep Purple and Yes should have been in a long time ago.

Results for '2016 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominee Fan Vote!'

Chicago 23.51% (37386409 votes)

The Cars 16.19% (25743273 votes)

Yes 16.17% (25716121 votes)

Steve Miller 15.96% (25385639 votes)

Deep Purple 15.94% (25354690 votes)

Janet Jackson 5.91% (9394895 votes)

Cheap Trick 1.30% (2069525 votes)

The Spinners 1.26% (1997910 votes)

Chaka Khan 1.14% (1810137 votes)

Chic 0.83% (1313736 votes)

The J.B.'s 0.58% (927047 votes)

N.W.A 0.40% (629708 votes)

Nine Inch Nails 0.31% (493541 votes)

The Smiths 0.27% (435702 votes)

Los Lobos 0.23% (363930 votes) - See more at: http://rockhall.com/voting/2016-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-nominees-vote/#sthash.loIdoCTz.dpu

Edited by apantherfrommd

I really like those Deep Purple albums from the 70's, the problem is they had a rotating circle of band members who just came and went. It would have been really cool if John Lord, David Coverdale, and Ritchie Blackmore could have kept it together for a decade. I really love Ritchie Blackmore's playing, but he was never meant to be an artist who could flourish in a band, moody for whatever reason - sort of reminds me of Jeff Beck in some ways.

It's a shame that Chicago is leading, I also voted for Deep Purple & Yes. It's really goofy who gets in, it needs to be renamed to Music Hall of Fame. Many groups that get in have nothing to do with Rock or Roll.

Deep Purple should have been in a long time ago, so many great tracks. If for some reason they make it, I would like to see all the surviving members of the band up there, & not the usual fiasco that takes place. As there are great contributions from all versions of the band.

I really like those Deep Purple albums from the 70's, the problem is they had a rotating circle of band members who just came and went. It would have been really cool if John Lord, David Coverdale, and Ritchie Blackmore could have kept it together for a decade. I really love Ritchie Blackmore's playing, but he was never meant to be an artist who could flourish in a band, moody for whatever reason - sort of reminds me of Jeff Beck in some ways.

I think you're right about Blackmore.  He's an amazing talent but, by all accounts, he is very difficult to work with.  The one thing Rod Evans, Ian Gillan, John Glover, David Coverdale, Glenn Hughes and Ronnie James Dio all have in common is that they clashed with him.  

• 1 month later...

Not that I give a shit about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but hey, since I came across this piece of news, I might as well post it. 

Deep Purple, Cheap Trick Chosen For Rock Hall

News / Scott Munro / 17 Dec 2015

Chicago, Steve Miller and N.W.A also set for induction in April

Deep Purple, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Steve Miller and N.W.A have been announced as next year’s inductees into The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.

The event will be held at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center on April 8, with public tickets set to go on sale in February.

Deep Purple drummer Ian Paice recently told Classic Rock he was unsure who would represent the band if they were ever inducted.

But the Rock Hall have given the nod to Paice, Ritchie Blackmore, David Coverdale, Rod Evans, Ian Gillan, Roger Glover, Glenn Hughes and Jon Lord.

Paice tells Rolling Stone: “You'd like to think that anyone who was ever in the band and made a contribution should really be listed. 

“All these people, from the very beginning to the current lineup, have helped maintain Purple as a viable touring entity. So to pick some over others, I wouldn't have done it that way.”

Paice says that “it’s rather nice” to finally be inducted but admits he has no idea if former guitarist Blackmore will be there on the night.

He says: “He can confuse you sometimes. You think he'll do one thing and he'll do the other. I wouldn't put money either way on that one.

As for playing with the guitarist again, Paice adds: “Some of us would think about it. Some of us probably wouldn't. It depends how it's presented and what everybody's individual feelings are. 

“But precedence must now go to the guys that are still working the name and keeping it alive. Their choice is final.”

Meanwhile, Cheap Trick guitarist Rick Nielsen says their induction is a personal career highlight for him.

He says: “Live at Budokan wasn't too bad. Getting our first record wasn't too bad. Doing 5000 shows, not too bad. It's all good. This might get moved right to the top of our resume, though.” 

Reacting to the news of their induction, Chicago co-founder Robert Lamm says: "I was very surprised that we'd been nominated since we've been eligible for so long. I think that the body of work, even just considering the work we did on the first album and beyond, changed the face of pop music for us to be considered influential.”

Steve Miller will take to the podium alone on the night, but says: “Anyone that was ever in the Steve Miller Band will feel that they were definitely part of what made the band.”

The event will be broadcast on US TV network HBO in the spring of 2016.

Source : http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2015-12-17/deep-purple-cheap-trick-chosen-for-rock-hall

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

I'm happy for Deep Purple, but this whole induction thing is going to be a big problem within the different eras of the band. This is going to start a bunch of unwanted problems probably within that band.  The shit is going to start flying soon enough and it's gonna get pretty ugly.

Edited by luvlz2

^^^Apparently, Ian Paice seems to feel exactly the same way!

Deep Purple Rock Hall Show Would End In Punch-Up

News / Stef Lach / 16 Dec 2015

Exclusive: Drummer Ian Paice says strained relationships would make induction a nightmare

Deep Purple drummer Ian Paice reckons a punch-up could ensue if the band are inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame next year.

The group are on the shortlist of potential inductees into the Rock Hall for 2016,along with Nine Inch Nails, Yes, Cheap Trick, The Cars, Steve Miller, Chicago, Los Lobos, Janet Jackson, NWA, The Smiths, Chaka Khan, Chic, The JBs and the Spinners.

The winners will be announced on December 17 (Thursday), with the ceremony set for New York on April 8, 2016, and Paice says it could open up a can of worms if Purple get the nod.

He tells Classic Rock: "Well, who would they induct? There have been so many members of this band, even if they say it will be core members, who would it be?

"You also have to bear in mind, that if some people are inducted together, it could end in a punch-up. I don't need to tell anyone certain key members and former members of this band do not get on. Personally, I think they would be better off inducting us individually. That avoids the problem."

Inductees are asked to perform at the Rock Hall ceremony and that too would cause an issue, claims Paice.

He adds: "As for playing live, again who would be involved? You'd have the same situation as for an induction. This one won't play with that one – it could be a mess.

"The Hall Of Fame should be embarrassed for not inducting us already. Look at some of the non-entities who've got in. I won't name them, but just have a look at some of those names, and you'll know who I mean. What have they ever done for rock'n'roll? Nothing. Having these artists in before Deep Purple undermines what it is supposed to represent."

Paice's opinion of the Rock Hall matches that of Purple's frontman Ian Gillan, who branded the organisation “bloody arrogant and rude" in October.

Source : http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2015-12-16/deep-purple-rock-hall-show-would-end-in-punch-up

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...