The Deep Purple Thread

eagle87

13 hours ago, Badgeholder Still said:

Of course, there is a classic period and there is still a focus on that. They cater to what their audience expects. I've seen the band twice since 2017 and I would be happy with hearing more more Morse era material, 'cause i dig it. There are a lot of great songs there. Probably most who attend shows expect to hear the classic material, and that's why they play it. As a huge Bolin fan, I would love to hear Morse interpret Bolin songs, but i don't expect it. It is what it is and they play what concertgoers expect. But they still release albums with great material. As long a version of DP with is touring, i'll support them. And i'll investigate new DP music as long as they produce it. 

You have to do what makes you happy, that's fine.

Personally, Steve Morse is the typical guitarist I don't like, soulless. That's why I said about Tommy Bolin, that although the album he made I can't consider it as a Deep Purple work, it's excellent. Tommy Bolin was an excellent guitarist.

But well, it's tastes, points of view... and I don't even like at all the comments and decisions that the band has made about Ritchie Blackmore since his departure.

8 hours ago, Rodrigo said:

You have to do what makes you happy, that's fine.

Personally, Steve Morse is the typical guitarist I don't like, soulless. That's why I said about Tommy Bolin, that although the album he made I can't consider it as a Deep Purple work, it's excellent. Tommy Bolin was an excellent guitarist.

But well, it's tastes, points of view... and I don't even like at all the comments and decisions that the band has made about Ritchie Blackmore since his departure.

I'm a big fan of Ritchie Blackmore. He is a one-of-a-kind. And while, at the end of the day, i separate the artist from the art, his actions alone are why he is not currently in DP. He is an asshole and furthermore he doesn't want to play with the guys in DP. I don't give a shit who is playing guitar as long as i like the songs. And I don't get hung up on the personal politics of current and former band members. It's not my business. Being a fan and a listener is my business.

10 hours ago, Badgeholder Still said:

I'm a big fan of Ritchie Blackmore. He is a one-of-a-kind. And while, at the end of the day, i separate the artist from the art, his actions alone are why he is not currently in DP. He is an asshole and furthermore he doesn't want to play with the guys in DP. I don't give a shit who is playing guitar as long as i like the songs. And I don't get hung up on the personal politics of current and former band members. It's not my business. Being a fan and a listener is my business.

Tell me, why is an asshole?

Ian Gillan is the real asshole, he always believed he was the soul of Deep Purple and he never was. Furthermore, in the last years, Ritchie has expressed an interest in playing some songs with "Deep Purple" and Gillan has refused... who the hell is he? As well as the manager has suggested that Ritchie doesn't go to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame... those are the real assholes.

37 minutes ago, Rodrigo said:

(See below)

Ian Gillan is the real asshole, he always believed he was the soul of Deep Purple and he never was. Furthermore, in the last years, Ritchie has expressed an interest in playing some songs with "Deep Purple" and Gillan has refused... who the hell is he? As well as the manager has suggested that Ritchie doesn't go to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame... those are the real assholes.

Watch 58:50 re: Graham Bonnet’s hair for one of many examples. Blackmore is a great guitar player, but can’t get along with many people.

R😎

Yep. I like all of their different lineups. There are a few most don’t know about including brief / very brief lineup changes with substitute touring guitarists like Joe Satriani and even Christopher Cross (aka Chris Gepfert).

R😎🎸👍

Edited by reids

On 3/30/2020 at 9:40 PM, Rodrigo said:

First off, in 1993 he bailed on the band and THE FANS mid-tour. It was the band and the management which kept the rest of the tour and band's future alive for the ticket paying fans.

And yes..

On 3/30/2020 at 10:20 PM, reids said:

Watch 58:50 re: Graham Bonnet’s hair for one of many examples. Blackmore is a great guitar player, but can’t get along with many people.

R😎

Also the story at 53:00 where he spent 4 days in jail for assault. (Maybe this was justified...maybe..?)

Ian Gillan is the real asshole.

He's nothing if not straightforward. I admire that.

Ian Gillan is the real asshole, he always believed he was the soul of Deep Purple and he never was. Furthermore, in the last years, Ritchie has expressed an interest in playing some songs with "Deep Purple" and Gillan has refused... who the hell is he? 

Gillan & Blackmore have an eternal beef. See previous video.

As well as the manager has suggested that Ritchie doesn't go to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame... those are the real assholes.

Maybe the management didn't want Ian beat up in the back alley after the show. They needed him healthy for the tour!

I'm a fan of both Blackmore & Gillan, but together they are oil & water. Forever at odds. And it was Blackmore who made the decision to leave.

Ritchie was upset and angry with Ian Gillan and the label. On 'The House Of Blue Light' tour, Ian Gillan would come on stage drunk and forget the lyrics. Blackmore is a perfectionist, and I remember that when Deep Purple got together in 1984, Ritchie arrived on time to record 'Perfect Strangers', the other members had arrived late and he left.
The album 'Slaves And Masters', was excellent, personally is the one I like most since the meeting of 1984. Until Ritchie had composed most of the music for what would be the album 'The Battle Rages On' and Joe Lynn Turner the lyrics. Later, due to pressure from the record company, Ian Gillan joined the band again and changed the lyrics... (Gillan had said that he would rather cut his own throat than go back to those cretins).
It's logical that with all this, and his bad vibe with Ian Gillan, he left the band... and how well he did!

The video that "reids" posted I can't see it, because Eagle Rock forbids me to see it in Argentina because of their stupidities. Anyway if it's the DVD released a few years ago of the Ritchie Blackmore's Story, I already saw it, although I don't remember everything, he didn't say things I didn't know either, to be honest.
You have to understand that Blackmore is a difficult person, yes, it's true, but he's also a leader and a perfectionist. Regarding Graham Bonnet (if that's what I think it is), Ritchie had told him to keep his hair long, because that's what he was looking for in a frontman (besides Graham's impeccable voice), Bonnet had accepted what Ritchie had ordered him to do... Ritchie didn't see him until he went on stage at the Monsters of Rock, and well, that's what happened.

The other situation that you tell me: Ritchie was in prison was for breaking a policeman's jaw and being late for Munich in '77? I'm sorry, but I don't see anything wrong. He arrived and played the concert, late, but he played.

Ian Gillan and the manager are nobody to tell Ritchie Blackmore not to go to RARHOF... TO RITCHIE BLACKMORE!

Here's a words from David Coverdale:

"It was really ugly what happened.

I heard how the manager did everything he could to stop Glenn Hughes and me from giving a speech. Jon Lord's daughter wasn't there, which surprised us. But she refused to go when it was announced that Ritchie Blackmore was not allowed to attend, it was a mockery... None of them would be there if it wasn't for Ritchie."

And just to be clear, I'm not a blind fan of Ritchie Blackmore, I know what a personality he has and how extremely difficult he is. But the truth is the truth.

You are free to listen and enjoy the current "Deep Purple", and I'm fine with that if it makes you happy, but I have a right to give my opinion, especially when it comes to calling a legend like Ritchie Blackmore an "asshole".

Edited by Rodrigo

Blackmore had problems with nearly everyone close to him in his life from females to (a revolving door of) members in Every band he’s ever been in with (Rainbow) Ronnie James Dio (R.I.P., Tony Carey, Graham Bonnet, Ian Gillian (DP), etc, etc making him the difficult one to cure (the AH)... 

He had a meltdown (and a series of tantrums) on stage in November 1993 (splashing water in the face of a cameraman (doing his job) trying to capture him performing. 

Gillan was quoted expressing his relief, “If Ritchie had stayed in the band, it would have been the end of Deep Purple. We were playing in small halls, and they weren’t even full — they were half empty — and Ritchie was walking offstage every night”. The band was progressively happier without the menace, and acknowledged the event as to how Deep Purple managed to push through to its 50th anniversary. The involved parties are seemingly in agreement that no reunion is to be expected, a testament on how not all that is broken needs fixing.

After leaving Deep Purple, Blackmore replaced Gruber, Driscoll and Soule (Rainbow) in September with Jimmy Bain, Cozy Powell and Tony Carey, respectively.

Rising and live album On Stage were recorded with this second lineup, before Bain and Carey were sacked by Blackmore in January 1977.

After the release of Long Live Rock 'n' Roll, Dio left due to disagreements with Blackmore.

Bonnet left after the album's release due to ongoing frustration with Blackmore (due to differences re: hair / image, being held prisoner in his own hotel room while on tour) and was replaced by Joe Lynn Turner, while Powell (had a run in with guess who, yep, Blackmore) also left the group to be replaced by Bobby Rondinelli; both new members performed on Difficult to Cure.

Keyboardist David Rosenthal replaced Airey for 1982's Straight Between the Eyes and 1983's Bent Out of Shape, the latter of which featured drummer Chuck Burgi who replaced Rondinell after dispute / personality differences  with (again, you guessed it) Blackmore.

See the ongoing pattern of revolving door of these talented rock legends / musicians???  Dio, Cozy Powell, etc...

Blackmore left rock for nearly 20 years (1997-2016) to do classical bard music (yawn) with his wife (Blackmore’s Night) until a few years ago, as he couldn’t get along with anyone. Then, he (hypocrite) got a “short haired” rock singer (Ronnie Romero) to front the newest version of Rainbow (even performing DP songs on tour) while a much healthier Deep Purple has recorded multiple new albums and toured to some of their largest numbers internationally (India, Middle East, Germany, etc).

Meanwhile, In 2016, Blackmore added (shorthaired) vocalist Ronnie Romero, bassist Bob Nouveau (Bob Curiano), drummer David Keith and keyboardist Jens JohanssonThe group (Rainbow) has since only released three live albums (just a rehash of mostly older material) and a number of singles to little or no acclaim. 

The best thing for Deep Purple was for Blackmore to leave when he did. Gillan is healthier (contributing better lyrics, singing better again, cleaned up his act and is actually pretty good on the golf course). All other members of DP (Steve Morse, Ian Paice, Don Airey, Roger Glover and Jon Lord (R.I.P.) get/got along much better as a band / having their own space (equal identities) individually and collectively; supporting each other creatively, personally & professionally.

They actually like each other on and off the stage (unlike when Blackmore was “running the show”, having tantrums on stage and throwing guitars into amps, water in peoples faces, etc) .  Don’t get me wrong: Blackmore is an amazing guitar player, but who would want to hang around him for more than a Short series of concerts (knowing he’d not like them due to their short hair, the way they carried themselves on stage ; oh, and if he saw anyone else getting the spot light (that would be the end of them in the band)???  That Is the definition of a control freak, egotist and an a$@hole. 

R😎

Edited by reids

8 hours ago, reids said:

Blackmore had problems with nearly everyone close to him in his life from females to (a revolving door of) members in Every band he’s ever been in with (Rainbow) Ronnie James Dio (R.I.P., Tony Carey, Graham Bonnet, Ian Gillian (DP), etc, etc making him the difficult one to cure (the AH)... 

He had a meltdown (and a series of tantrums) on stage in November 1993 (splashing water in the face of a cameraman (doing his job) trying to capture him performing. 

Gillan was quoted expressing his relief, “If Ritchie had stayed in the band, it would have been the end of Deep Purple. We were playing in small halls, and they weren’t even full — they were half empty — and Ritchie was walking offstage every night”. The band was progressively happier without the menace, and acknowledged the event as to how Deep Purple managed to push through to its 50th anniversary. The involved parties are seemingly in agreement that no reunion is to be expected, a testament on how not all that is broken needs fixing.

After leaving Deep Purple, Blackmore replaced Gruber, Driscoll and Soule (Rainbow) in September with Jimmy Bain, Cozy Powell and Tony Carey, respectively.

Rising and live album On Stage were recorded with this second lineup, before Bain and Carey were sacked by Blackmore in January 1977.

After the release of Long Live Rock 'n' Roll, Dio left due to disagreements with Blackmore.

Bonnet left after the album's release due to ongoing frustration with Blackmore (due to differences re: hair / image, being held prisoner in his own hotel room while on tour) and was replaced by Joe Lynn Turner, while Powell (had a run in with guess who, yep, Blackmore) also left the group to be replaced by Bobby Rondinelli; both new members performed on Difficult to Cure.

Keyboardist David Rosenthal replaced Airey for 1982's Straight Between the Eyes and 1983's Bent Out of Shape, the latter of which featured drummer Chuck Burgi who replaced Rondinell after dispute / personality differences  with (again, you guessed it) Blackmore.

See the ongoing pattern of revolving door of these talented rock legends / musicians???  Dio, Cozy Powell, etc...

Blackmore left rock for nearly 20 years (1997-2016) to do classical bard music (yawn) with his wife (Blackmore’s Night) until a few years ago, as he couldn’t get along with anyone. Then, he (hypocrite) got a “short haired” rock singer (Ronnie Romero) to front the newest version of Rainbow (even performing DP songs on tour) while a much healthier Deep Purple has recorded multiple new albums and toured to some of their largest numbers internationally (India, Middle East, Germany, etc).

Meanwhile, In 2016, Blackmore added (shorthaired) vocalist Ronnie Romero, bassist Bob Nouveau (Bob Curiano), drummer David Keith and keyboardist Jens JohanssonThe group (Rainbow) has since only released three live albums (just a rehash of mostly older material) and a number of singles to little or no acclaim. 

The best thing for Deep Purple was for Blackmore to leave when he did. Gillan is healthier (contributing better lyrics, singing better again, cleaned up his act and is actually pretty good on the golf course). All other members of DP (Steve Morse, Ian Paice, Don Airey, Roger Glover and Jon Lord (R.I.P.) get/got along much better as a band / having their own space (equal identities) individually and collectively; supporting each other creatively, personally & professionally.

They actually like each other on and off the stage (unlike when Blackmore was “running the show”, having tantrums on stage and throwing guitars into amps, water in peoples faces, etc) .  Don’t get me wrong: Blackmore is an amazing guitar player, but who would want to hang around him for more than a Short series of concerts (knowing he’d not like them due to their short hair, the way they carried themselves on stage ; oh, and if he saw anyone else getting the spot light (that would be the end of them in the band)???  That Is the definition of a control freak, egotist and an a$@hole. 

R😎

Sure, but my understanding is that Dio did not like the commercial direction Blackmore wanted to go in, and was man enough to explain this to him, and that they left on good terms.  As far as I know, Dio always said he had no issues w/Blackmore.

BTW, re. Bonnet's hair, Blackmore had some justification to be annoyed, Bonnet looked like a New Wave singer, not a rock singer.  Reminds me of that dude who followed Fast Eddie in Motorhead, looked like he belonged in Loverboy.  Fact is, you have to look the part, talent aside.

9 minutes ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Sure, but my understanding is that Dio did not like the commercial direction Blackmore wanted to go in, and was man enough to explain this to him, and that they left on good terms.  As far as I know, Dio always said he had no issues w/Blackmore.

BTW, re. Bonnet's hair, Blackmore had some justification to be annoyed, Bonnet looked like a New Wave singer, not a rock singer.  Reminds me of that dude who followed Fast Eddie in Motorhead, looked like he belonged in Loverboy.  Fact is, you have to look the part, talent aside.

Also, the original lineup in Rainbow were some former bandmates of Dio from Elf.  They were really just session musicians until Blackmore could get the guys he wanted.  It was his band, after all.

There's no question he's a very difficult guy, but the fact is, DP exists and tours now because of the music Blackmore wrote.  No Ritchie, no DP, it's that simple.

Edited by JohnOsbourne

2 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

Ritchie may be a prick to work with, but he is easily one of the greatest, most versatile guitar players to ever pluck six strings.

Agreed 

3 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Also, the original lineup in Rainbow were some former bandmates of Dio from Elf.  They were really just session musicians until Blackmore could get the guys he wanted.  It was his band, after all.

There's no question he's a very difficult guy, but the fact is, DP exists and tours now because of the music Blackmore wrote.  No Ritchie, no DP, it's that simple.

Agreed. He is superb as a guitar player and there would be no DP without him due to his creativity & originally, but there’d be no DP if he stayed after ‘93. Blackmore just went over and above to let everyone know of his dislike. Tactful he isn’t.  I’m glad others are carrying the DP flag by creating new music and touring since his departure.

R😎

Edited by reids

17 hours ago, reids said:

As I said, Blackmore is a leader and a perfectionist. If he doesn't like things, he makes the decisions he feels are necessary. Whether it's kicking members out, fighting with them, it doesn't matter.

Actually, I don't know what you mean by "female trouble", but... who doesn't have problems with their women?

Like I said, Ritchie was fed up in '93 with Gillan's return and what happened with 'The Battle Rages On'. I'm sure the water was meant to be thrown at Gillan, not the cameraman. But anything could be, I remember he said he was laughing when they had to start 'Highway Star' without him. And that's part of his charm, but let's be clear, he wasn't upset for no reason.

Despite what Ian Gillan says, I know a lot of fans have returned tickets and those who have gone to the shows were either angry or sad because Satriani was there and they hadn't heard that Ritchie had left the band.

I was never sad that Blackmore left the band in '93 (in fact I was 3 years old). He made a great album in '95 and then obviously created Blackmore's Night.

After Blackmore's departure in '93, Deep Purple ceased to exist and became Ian Gillan Band. You can't say Deep Purple without Ritchie Blackmore, it's totally illogical, it would be like saying Led Zeppelin without Jimmy Page.

Besides, Ian Gillan wasn't kicked out by Ritchie in '73, he decided to leave. He was thrown out in the days of 'The House Of Blue Light' when he would go on stage drunk without remembering the lyrics.
Also, when Gillan returned to the band in '84, fans expected some MKIII classics (like 'Burn', 'Stormbringer', 'Mistreated', etc) and he refused with that stupid comparison of the ex-girlfriend. There you have Ian Gillan 'the asshole'.

Blackmore did declare that he was interested in playing some songs for the 50th anniversary, Steve Morse agreed (you can search it on the web), Ian Gillan denied it, stating "it was too late", as if he owned the band, and everything the name Deep Purple stands for. DEEP PURPLE ISN'T BROKEN, IT DOESN'T EXIST ANYMORE.

Ritchie recorded the first Rainbow album with the Elf members, because Dio asked Ritchie to do it. He told him that they had fought hard and that they deserved to be on the first album (without doing the tour) at least.
Ritchie said in an interview that when they were rehearsing (or recording, I don't remember), the drummer would freeze, he couldn't start.
Then, once the first Rainbow album was recorded, Ritchie hired Cozy Powell (who had planned it from the beginning), Jimmy Bain and Tony Carey.

Ronnie left the band on good terms with Ritchie, because Blackmore no longer wanted to do medieval rock. In fact, was on such bad terms with Ritchie and despised him so much, that in his latest album 'The Devil You Know' with Heaven And Hell (Black Sabbath), in the booklet thanks, guess what? to Ritchie Blackmore.

Cozy Powell didn't leave the band on bad terms either. According to his own words, he found it too much to record 'Since you've been gone' and decided to leave.

You're saying some false things. Ritchie decided to return to rock in 2016 because he missed rock, was (and is) having health problems, because of his old age, and wanted to give fans a gift. It's a lie that he didn't do it before 2016 because he didn't get along with anyone, he didn't do it before because he was comfortable (and still is) with Blackmore's Night (a band I love), just because he makes you yawn doesn't mean the same thing happens to all of us.

And yes, Candice discovered Ronnie Romero (fortunately I was lucky enough to see him live, though not with Rainbow, of course) on YouTube and showed him to Ritchie. Romero went to one of his castles in Germany and there was chemistry, Ritchie liked it. The short hair thing, it's a stupid comment, you can't compare the times of music (and especially rock) today, with the golden times of yesterday. Already the name Ritchie Blackmore is well established.

Ian Gillan Band records so many albums, but about 95% of the material they play live, are songs composed by Ritchie Blackmore, what's up?

Blackmore hasn't returned to rock to tour the world and record ten albums, he did it as a gift to fans.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Don't get me wrong, if you enjoy the music of "Deep Purple" :smileyquote:, I'm happy for you. I just like to leave my point of view, since Ian Gillan (and others) are very hypocritical and ungrateful with the one who is feeding them... because they don't live from the songs of their albums without Ritchie Blackmore.

In the double DVD 'History, Hits & Highlights 68 - 76', there is a slightly unreleased interview where Ritchie admits that he is mainly in charge of the composition of the songs. Perhaps in the first three albums Jon Lord participated on a par with Ritchie, but since 'In Rock'... most of them are by Ritchie Blackmore.

deeppurpledvd.jpg

Edited by Rodrigo

3 hours ago, Rodrigo said:

As I said, Blackmore is a leader and a perfectionist. If he doesn't like things, he makes the decisions he feels are necessary. Whether it's kicking members out, fighting with them, it doesn't matter.

Actually, I don't know what you mean by "female trouble", but... who doesn't have problems with their women?

Like I said, Ritchie was fed up in '93 with Gillan's return and what happened with 'The Battle Rages On'. I'm sure the water was meant to be thrown at Gillan, not the cameraman. But anything could be, I remember he said he was laughing when they had to start 'Highway Star' without him. And that's part of his charm, but let's be clear, he wasn't upset for no reason.

Despite what Ian Gillan says, I know a lot of fans have returned tickets and those who have gone to the shows were either angry or sad because Satriani was there and they hadn't heard that Ritchie had left the band.

I was never sad that Blackmore left the band in '93 (in fact I was 3 years old). He made a great album in '95 and then obviously created Blackmore's Night.

After Blackmore's departure in '93, Deep Purple ceased to exist and became Ian Gillan Band. You can't say Deep Purple without Ritchie Blackmore, it's totally illogical, it would be like saying Led Zeppelin without Jimmy Page.

Besides, Ian Gillan wasn't kicked out by Ritchie in '73, he decided to leave. He was thrown out in the days of 'The House Of Blue Light' when he would go on stage drunk without remembering the lyrics.
Also, when Gillan returned to the band in '84, fans expected some MKIII classics (like 'Burn', 'Stormbringer', 'Mistreated', etc) and he refused with that stupid comparison of the ex-girlfriend. There you have Ian Gillan 'the asshole'.

Blackmore did declare that he was interested in playing some songs for the 50th anniversary, Steve Morse agreed (you can search it on the web), Ian Gillan denied it, stating "it was too late", as if he owned the band, and everything the name Deep Purple stands for. DEEP PURPLE ISN'T BROKEN, IT DOESN'T EXIST ANYMORE.

Ritchie recorded the first Rainbow album with the Elf members, because Dio asked Ritchie to do it. He told him that they had fought hard and that they deserved to be on the first album (without doing the tour) at least.
Ritchie said in an interview that when they were rehearsing (or recording, I don't remember), the drummer would freeze, he couldn't start.
Then, once the first Rainbow album was recorded, Ritchie hired Cozy Powell (who had planned it from the beginning), Jimmy Bain and Tony Carey.

Ronnie left the band on good terms with Ritchie, because Blackmore no longer wanted to do medieval rock. In fact, was on such bad terms with Ritchie and despised him so much, that in his latest album 'The Devil You Know' with Heaven And Hell (Black Sabbath), in the booklet thanks, guess what? to Ritchie Blackmore.

Cozy Powell didn't leave the band on bad terms either. According to his own words, he found it too much to record 'Since you've been gone' and decided to leave.

You're saying some false things. Ritchie decided to return to rock in 2016 because he missed rock, was (and is) having health problems, because of his old age, and wanted to give fans a gift. It's a lie that he didn't do it before 2016 because he didn't get along with anyone, he didn't do it before because he was comfortable (and still is) with Blackmore's Night (a band I love), just because he makes you yawn doesn't mean the same thing happens to all of us.

And yes, Candice discovered Ronnie Romero (fortunately I was lucky enough to see him live, though not with Rainbow, of course) on YouTube and showed him to Ritchie. Romero went to one of his castles in Germany and there was chemistry, Ritchie liked it. The short hair thing, it's a stupid comment, you can't compare the times of music (and especially rock) today, with the golden times of yesterday. Already the name Ritchie Blackmore is well established.

Ian Gillan Band records so many albums, but about 95% of the material they play live, are songs composed by Ritchie Blackmore, what's up?

Blackmore hasn't returned to rock to tour the world and record ten albums, he did it as a gift to fans.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Don't get me wrong, if you enjoy the music of "Deep Purple" :smileyquote:, I'm happy for you. I just like to leave my point of view, since Ian Gillan (and others) are very hypocritical and ungrateful with the one who is feeding them... because they don't live from the songs of their albums without Ritchie Blackmore.

In the double DVD 'History, Hits & Highlights 68 - 76', there is a slightly unreleased interview where Ritchie admits that he is mainly in charge of the composition of the songs. Perhaps in the first three albums Jon Lord participated on a par with Ritchie, but since 'In Rock'... most of them are by Ritchie Blackmore.

deeppurpledvd.jpg

Info I quoted was from published and verified sources. Times change and people’s memories may fade (or put their own spin on things) after some distance, too. Glad Blackmore wanted to do something for the fans after years of thinking mainly of himself. I enjoy his music and playing; just not a fan of him personally. Enjoy the music.

R😎

On 4/2/2020 at 4:05 PM, Rodrigo said:

RJD was very diplomatic about his time working with Blackmore. But i'm not convinced he left Rainbow "on good terms".

Ritchie Blackmore is a trailblazing pioneer. An icon. A legend. That doesn't mean he can be an asshole too.

12 hours ago, Badgeholder Still said:

RJD was very diplomatic about his time working with Blackmore. But i'm not convinced he left Rainbow "on good terms".

Ritchie Blackmore is a trailblazing pioneer. An icon. A legend. That doesn't mean he can be an asshole too.

In fact, the ones who ended up in a bad way were Ronnie with Cozy. Rainbow was always Ritchie's project, he wanted to give a twist to the band, Ronnie didn't like it, and he left.

Don't forget that Ronnie had his fights, too. With Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler during the production of 'Live Evil' from Black Sabbath. With Vivian Campbell in his own band. And again with Black Sabbath during the 'Dehumanizer' tour.

All musicians (like all people) have fights and disagreements with others... and it's good that they do.

Of course Ritchie Blackmore is a very complicated person (and always has been), but I'd never say he's an "asshole". In the video you posted, Ronnie admits that he owes everything to Blackmore (despite his disagreements), like SO MANY OTHERS... It occurs to me, I don't know, the current lineup of "Deep Purple" :smileyquote:, which as I said, lives off the name of Deep Purple and the compositions of Ritchie Blackmore, at least 90%.

The only thing I'd like is a little respect for such a legend, nothing else, from the current lineup and from you, who go to the concerts to listen to mostly songs composed by the "asshole".

Anyway, the discussion started because of this thing I said days ago:

On 3/28/2020 at 1:32 AM, Rodrigo said:

Sorry, but Deep Purple without Ritchie Blackmore and Jon Lord is a bad joke.

I think I've made my point, and I think my arguments are well founded. That was the focus of the discussion

But then again, you think Blackmore is an "asshole" because of his personality traits... what can I do? I don't think he's an "asshole" because of his personality, in fact I find his personality attractive, always against the grain, that goes with me.

And I say it again, you have every right to enjoy the current lineup of the band, buy their records and go to their concerts... don't get me wrong.

Edited by Rodrigo

1 hour ago, Rodrigo said:

The only thing I'd like is a little respect for such a legend, nothing else, from the current lineup and from you, who go to the concerts to listen to mostly songs composed by the "asshole".

13 hours ago, Badgeholder Still said:

Ritchie Blackmore is a trailblazing pioneer. An icon. A legend. 

I give him, musically, all the respect he deserves. Including and especially the Jo Lynn Turner material. I'll listen to it all forever. He absolutely should be in The (or a) R&R Hall O' Fame.

He's no saint. If you don't like "asshole", choose something you're comfortable with.

Or flip the script and look at this way. The current group goes out and celebrates the classic tunes because the fans want to hear them. Blackmore doesn't want to be in this band. This band doesn't want to play with Blackmore. The fans get to hear the songs. 

It's as good as we can get in 2020...or until we get to attend concerts again..whenever that'll be...

On 4/4/2020 at 2:45 PM, Badgeholder Still said:

I give him, musically, all the respect he deserves. Including and especially the Jo Lynn Turner material. I'll listen to it all forever. He absolutely should be in The (or a) R&R Hall O' Fame.

He's no saint. If you don't like "asshole", choose something you're comfortable with.

Or flip the script and look at this way. The current group goes out and celebrates the classic tunes because the fans want to hear them. Blackmore doesn't want to be in this band. This band doesn't want to play with Blackmore. The fans get to hear the songs. 

It's as good as we can get in 2020...or until we get to attend concerts again..whenever that'll be...

He was inducted into the RARHOF, simply didn't attend the ceremony.

Ritchie's pre-ceremony message:

Ritchie was honored by the offer of induction to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. He was discussing the possibility of attending, until we received correspondence from the President of the Rock Hall of Fame, who said that Bruce Payne, management for the current Deep Purple Touring Band, had said "No"..........!!!!!"
Therefore Ritchie will not be attending the ceremony. He sincerely thanks all the fans that voted for him for their support.

I also leave the words of David Coverdale that I posted before:

"It was really ugly what happened.

I heard how the manager did everything he could to stop Glenn Hughes and me from giving a speech. Jon Lord's daughter wasn't there, which surprised us. But she refused to go when it was announced that Ritchie Blackmore was not allowed to attend, it was a mockery... None of them would be there if it wasn't for Ritchie".

All the members of the MKI, MKII, and MKIII formations were inducted, except Nick Simper, without explanation, an embarrassment, I can't understand.

Joe Lynn Turner should be inducted as well. And although I don't consider MKIV to be a Deep Purple formation (said by Jon Lord himself), I'd have liked Tommy Bolin to be inducted, but these are personal appreciations.

As I said, Blackmore has expressed his interest in playing some songs at the ceremony, and also after the ceremony for the 50th anniversary of the band. Which was obviously denied by the hypocrite Ian Gillan with obvious complicity from the other members and the manager. That's what I call "grateful people."

The current lineup of "Deep Purple" :smileyquote:, it's just a cover band... do you like it? Perfect, but that's what it is.

Edited by Rodrigo

On 4/3/2020 at 11:47 PM, Badgeholder Still said:

These videos say it all and proves my point. Blackmore put himself first above others, “mistreated” former (Rainbow) members (Tony Carey, etc) and fans (spitting on them, not signing autographs) as he doesn’t care about people (only himself). Thanks for providing further proof.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/ritchie-blackmore-deep-purple-meltdown/

The Deep Purple name was contested by Ian Paice (founding and only original member) after Blackmore left group then attempted to get the name some 20 years after his departure. No legal registration exists today for the name, as Paice disputed it and was never settled. The band (not a tribute band as original member Paice never left) records new material (due summer 2020) and plays to this day.

R😎

B8BFE56D-FE7F-45C5-A6B7-D5022B946364.jpeg

386F3051-1936-4B21-9B73-1889CDA6A289.jpeg

Edited by reids
Sources added

3 hours ago, reids said:

These videos say it all and proves my point. Blackmore put himself first above others, “mistreated” former (Rainbow) members (Tony Carey, etc) and fans (spitting on them, not signing autographs) as he doesn’t care about people (only himself). Thanks for providing further proof.

Yeah, I know you think Blackmore's an asshole and a bad person. I don't think so, but that's not the focus of the discussion. THIS is the focus of the discussion:

On 3/28/2020 at 1:32 AM, Rodrigo said:

Sorry, but Deep Purple without Ritchie Blackmore and Jon Lord is a bad joke.

So:

3 hours ago, reids said:

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/ritchie-blackmore-deep-purple-meltdown/

The Deep Purple name was contested by Ian Paice (founding and only original member) after Blackmore left group then attempted to get the name some 20 years after his departure. No legal registration exists today for the name, as Paice disputed it and was never settled. The band (not a tribute band as original member Paice never left) records new material (due summer 2020) and plays to this day.

R😎

B8BFE56D-FE7F-45C5-A6B7-D5022B946364.jpeg

386F3051-1936-4B21-9B73-1889CDA6A289.jpeg

Ian Paice wasn't the only original member after Blackmore left, and Jon Lord?

It doesn't matter that Ian Paice never left the band and that he's one of the original members. Since Blackmore was the main songwriter, followed by Lord. "Perhaps" this is why the band's signature sound was always Ritchie and Jon.

Don't get me wrong, Paice is an excellent drummer. One of my favorites along with John Bonham, Cozy Powell and many others. In fact, in that video, you can see that he's on fire and then follows up with a spectacular drum solo to end with 'Mandrake Root'. But that's not enough, he's not up to Blackmore and Lord. Just listening to the albums, either studio or live, should be enough.

Besides, the simple fact that Ian Paice is in the current line-up (even if it's legal) doesn't mean that it's morally right for the band to bear the legendary name of Deep Purple (although to be honest, I don't care much). It's like Doug Clifford and Stu Cook playing under the name 'Creedence Clearwater Revival' just because they are original members... and not as 'Revisited'.

And that's wrong, the name 'Deep Purple' was chosen by Ritchie because it was his grandmother's favorite song.

Edited by Rodrigo