Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
eagle87

The Deep Purple Thread

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Rodrigo said:

Yeah, I know you think Blackmore's an asshole and a bad person. I don't think so, but that's not the focus of the discussion. THIS is the focus of the discussion:

So:

Ian Paice wasn't the only original member after Blackmore left, and Jon Lord?

It doesn't matter that Ian Paice never left the band and that he's one of the original members. Since Blackmore was the main songwriter, followed by Lord. "Perhaps" this is why the band's signature sound was always Ritchie and Jon.
 

Don't get me wrong, Paice is an excellent drummer. One of my favorites along with John Bonham, Cozy Powell and many others. In fact, in that video, you can see that he's on fire and then follows up with a spectacular drum solo to end with 'Mandrake Root'. But that's not enough, he's not up to Blackmore and Lord. Just listening to the albums, either studio or live, should be enough.

Besides, the simple fact that Ian Paice is in the current line-up (even if it's legal) doesn't mean that it's morally right for the band to bear the legendary name of Deep Purple (although to be honest, I don't care much). It's like Doug Clifford and Stu Cook playing under the name 'Creedence Clearwater Revival' just because they are original members... and not as 'Revisited'.

And that's wrong, the name 'Deep Purple' was chosen by Ritchie because it was his grandmother's favorite song.

I presented historical facts and you present emotion / opinion because you’re a Blackmore devotee (professional and personal; thinking he can do no wrong). THIS is the Focus and I stand on evidence, so let’s agree to disagree, because I’m not changing my mind and you’re not wanting to look at the facts. I enjoy DP music of all their lineups. You only enjoy a certain segment of their lineup/ history.

Now, let’s move on with this subject and get to their music. I’m not here to squabble with someone over their subjective opinion over someone’s personal life (I’m here to present historical facts). I’ve met many musicians (including most members of DP) and celebrities having worked 20+ years in the industry and there’s always a few bad apples in the bunch (regardless of how talented they may be). The Eagles had Don Felder (who wrote “Hotel California” and demanded he sing it on the record / concert ). He was later fired from the band for not being a team player and for having issues with other band members (Glenn Frey R.I.P. & Don Henley).
 

No one said there was anything wrong with Ian Paice or the name Deep Purple. You brought that up for some unknown reason (where there is no argument; Paice was and is within his legal and moral right as last surviving / remaining member after Jon Lord R.I.P. passed away). It’s served him, the music and the loyal fans well (whatever lineup over the years). Think of it like a football / soccer team. Although a certain defining sound / direction or template was created by some earlier members, the band carried on. When some players aren’t team oriented, they lose focus of the intention of the band and want everything directed at them (as Dio said in video regarding Blackmore (w/ Rainbow). He (Blackmore) wasn’t a team player there (or in DP). He’s always been all about himself, so he left. He had a tantrum (actually multiple ones like a child along with his breakdown) and then didn’t want anyone else to play under the DP name (so he tried to keep others (the majority) who were and are happily functioning better without him some 20 years after the fact from playing as a team (under the name).
 

Blackmore for DP is like the Vinnie Vincent of KISS. Vincent, as talented as he was as a critical songwriter for many of their 80s - 90s hits and blazingly fast guitarist with KISS, he simply didn’t put his ego / abrasive personality in check before getting on stage. He tried to upstage Paul and Gene live and wouldn’t stop soloing so they fired him. Ace Frehley (KISS’ original guitarist) created their logo, but he’s not in the group now. He didn’t demand they change their name or logo after he left them or try to get his logo back. Paul Stanley actually updated / improved upon the look (of the two SS) of the logo.  KISS like most every other band (in the history of rock n roll) moves on with various lineup changes. Fleetwood Mac has undergone multiple lineup changes, too (Peter Green original blues guitarist and now without Lindsey Buckingham ; their most popular songwriter/guitarist ) and they’re still selling out stadiums like Deep Purple (regardless of lineup changes). The Beatles had Pete Best as their original drummer before Ringo. Yes has had so many versions, too and they’re still together (after Chris Squire R.I.P. , Bruford retired, Jon Anderson left forming his own version of the band with Wakeman and Trevor Rabin (who wrote their biggest hit “Owner of a Lonely Heart” (after Steve Howe, who wrote “Roundabout”, which was actually Deep Purple’s earlier name when touring Denmark in April ‘68 ).
 

So, if DP kept their name as Roundabout throughout the late 60s into 70s, would some early fans of the band have thought of them as a Yes tribute (cover) band ?  Probably not. 
 

R😎

Edited by reids
Update

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2020 at 11:39 AM, Rodrigo said:

He was inducted into the RARHOF, simply didn't attend the ceremony.

Ok then, he was spared having to share a stage with Ian Gillan. So what's the problem?

On 4/5/2020 at 11:39 AM, Rodrigo said:

The current lineup of "Deep Purple" :smileyquote:, it's just a cover band... do you like it? Perfect, but that's what it is.

Mk II was the classic lineup with the classic songs. Ian Gillian is the voice of those songs, Roger Glover the bottom and Ian Paice the heartbeat. They are still out there doing it, as was Lord until his dying breath, including new material on a regular basis. They deserve, at least, the same respect RB does, and have every right to perform the classic material. Just as RJD stated in the above video, the music is a band effort, not just RB and some other guys.

Blackmore, once upon a time, decades ago, before the turn of the century, made a significant musical contribution to this band. DP has persevered now, since RB's departure in '93, for longer than he was ever in the band, '70s, 80's & '90's combined. He is part of a current, working band's history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, reids said:

I presented historical facts and you present emotion / opinion because you’re a Blackmore devotee (professional and personal; thinking he can do no wrong). THIS is the Focus and I stand on evidence, so let’s agree to disagree, because I’m not changing my mind and you’re not wanting to look at the facts. I enjoy DP music of all their lineups. You only enjoy a certain segment of their lineup/ history.

I have also presented historical facts, in addition to my opinion, of course.

For example: when I quoted that Ritchie Blackmore has confessed that he is (was) the main composer of all the songs of the band. That's a historical fact, not an opinion.

But you have also presented emotions and opinions about Blackmore and the current lineup of the band, and it's okay, it's not a sin. Besides, those "historical facts" you have presented, I knew how to refute them with good arguments, "historical facts", not opinions.

But yes, I agree that we will never agree, and it's good that we do, why should people agree on everything? It would be very boring!

It's great that you enjoy all Deep Purple's lineups. It's also great that I only enjoyed the '68 to '93.

By the way, yes, I'm a big fan of Ritchie Blackmore, thanks to him and Jimmy Page I've been very interested in music and especially in the guitar since I was about 13 years old (2003), I studied at the Classical Music Conservatory of my hometown, where I met one of the greatest loves of my life (now ex-girlfriend, but I could also consider her as a "friend"). So I owe a lot to Ritchie, I won't deny it, but I also have many differences with him, if you're interested I can tell you about them whenever you want.

18 hours ago, reids said:

No one said there was anything wrong with Ian Paice or the name Deep Purple. You brought that up for some unknown reason (where there is no argument; Paice was and is within his legal and moral right as last surviving / remaining member after Jon Lord R.I.P. passed away). It’s served him, the music and the loyal fans well (whatever lineup over the years). Think of it like a football / soccer team. Although a certain defining sound / direction or template was created by some earlier members, the band carried on. When some players aren’t team oriented, they lose focus of the intention of the band and want everything directed at them (as Dio said in video regarding Blackmore (w/ Rainbow). He (Blackmore) wasn’t a team player there (or in DP). He’s always been all about himself, so he left. He had a tantrum (actually multiple ones like a child along with his breakdown) and then didn’t want anyone else to play under the DP name (so he tried to keep others (the majority) who were and are happily functioning better without him some 20 years after the fact from playing as a team (under the name).

There's just your mistake. A band isn't like a football team. If Ritchie has decided to quit in '93, being the main composer of the band, and the characteristic sound next to Jon Lord, if the band continues under the name of "Deep Purple" it loses "a little" credibility.

A band can't function better when it lacks the essence, the soul, which is the main thing of all things, the engine. Just thinking about it is ridiculous. It may be that the current members are happier, get along better and are all rosy, but that has nothing to do with the music and what Deep Purple stands for.

For all my arguments and more, I think Ian Paice, and the current line-up, have no right to play under the name of Deep Purple (think of the example of Creedence Clearwater Revisited that I mentioned before), although I don't really care, it's not something that takes away my sleep, that they play under whatever name they want.

By the way, Jon Lord left the band many years before he passed away.

18 hours ago, reids said:

Blackmore for DP is like the Vinnie Vincent of KISS. Vincent, as talented as he was as a critical songwriter for many of their 80s - 90s hits and blazingly fast guitarist with KISS, he simply didn’t put his ego / abrasive personality in check before getting on stage. He tried to upstage Paul and Gene live and wouldn’t stop soloing so they fired him. Ace Frehley (KISS’ original guitarist) created their logo, but he’s not in the group now. He didn’t demand they change their name or logo after he left them or try to get his logo back. Paul Stanley actually updated / improved upon the look (of the two SS) of the logo.  KISS like most every other band (in the history of rock n roll) moves on with various lineup changes. Fleetwood Mac has undergone multiple lineup changes, too (Peter Green original blues guitarist and now without Lindsey Buckingham ; their most popular songwriter/guitarist ) and they’re still selling out stadiums like Deep Purple (regardless of lineup changes). The Beatles had Pete Best as their original drummer before Ringo. Yes has had so many versions, too and they’re still together (after Chris Squire R.I.P. , Bruford retired, Jon Anderson left forming his own version of the band with Wakeman and Trevor Rabin (who wrote their biggest hit “Owner of a Lonely Heart” (after Steve Howe, who wrote “Roundabout”, which was actually Deep Purple’s earlier name when touring Denmark in April ‘68 ).

But the current line-up of the band, if it fills stadiums (as you say), does so because it plays at least 90% of songs composed by Blackmore. I'd like them to fill stadiums with 90% of Morse Era songs, and the remaining 10% from Blackmore's, if they want.

It's a bit strange, to be honest. Think if AC/DC played 90% of Bon Scott Era songs and 10% of Brian Johnson's, it would be a shame.

18 hours ago, reids said:

So, if DP kept their name as Roundabout throughout the late 60s into 70s, would some early fans of the band have thought of them as a Yes tribute (cover) band ?  Probably not.

And again, I refute with "historical facts", not with emotions or personal opinions. The band was not called "Roundabout" because of Yes, it was Chris Curtis' idea (former drummer of 'The Searchers').

Edited by Rodrigo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Badgeholder Still said:

Ok then, he was spared having to share a stage with Ian Gillan. So what's the problem?

The problem is that he did want to play some songs at the ceremony, and also, of course, attend. But I already quoted all the facts, I'm not going to quote them again, unless you want to, but I'd prefer that you read them, if you haven't already.

3 hours ago, Badgeholder Still said:

Mk II was the classic lineup with the classic songs. Ian Gillian is the voice of those songs, Roger Glover the bottom and Ian Paice the heartbeat. They are still out there doing it, as was Lord until his dying breath, including new material on a regular basis. They deserve, at least, the same respect RB does, and have every right to perform the classic material. Just as RJD stated in the above video, the music is a band effort, not just RB and some other guys.

Blackmore, once upon a time, decades ago, before the turn of the century, made a significant musical contribution to this band. DP has persevered now, since RB's departure in '93, for longer than he was ever in the band, '70s, 80's & '90's combined. He is part of a current, working band's history.

Jon Lord left the band many, many years before he passed away!!!

My answer to everything else you wrote, is the same as I told to "reids" a few moments ago...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We agree on a lot, but will disagree. I believe you feel you have to have the last word, so let’s move on. I think there may be a disconnect (in translation). I know the history of the band (yes, I know Curtis’ idea naming it, etc) and have talked personally with multiple members of the band about these very subjects through this thread. I’ve known several of them for 20+ years and they’ve recorded at studios / venues I’ve been to that are not far away in Atlanta (and Nashville recently). All the best with your music. (Pictured w/ Steve Morse, chatting after concert, w/ Rick Wakeman & Trevor Rabin (Yes) aftershow, w/ Kerry Livgren (Kansas) & friends as well as w/ inventor and founder of Marshall Amplifiers (Jim Marshall R.I.P.). They are regular people just like you and me. 
 

R😎

C0D6C710-F34F-4553-B993-A906982FBA6A.jpeg

178D4854-44BC-4A3B-986B-9E01E0D0D49B.jpeg

05D51BE8-C8D6-4495-B285-A8A9AB80864C.jpeg

BDBBF9E2-9823-474C-9446-7D15F23ED1A0.jpeg

09643DF5-6990-41EA-A8F9-280CE23A3470.jpeg

F322250F-2232-4920-A941-E495038E9F16.jpeg

Edited by reids

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

And that you've talked to all those people and even the current line-up of the band, what changes? I don't understand. :rolleyes:

Did you talk with Ritchie Blackmore, too? :whistling:

Edited by Rodrigo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rodrigo said:

And that you've talked to all those people and even the current line-up of the band, what changes? I don't understand. :rolleyes:

Did you talk with Ritchie Blackmore, too? :whistling:

As a matter of fact, I’ve met Ritchie (in the early 90s). He lives in / around Long Island, NY (one of the hot spots for corona virus right now) as well as in various places on the west coast, when in the US. Have you? What is your point? 
 

R😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, reids said:

As a matter of fact, I’ve met Ritchie (in the early 90s). He lives in / around Long Island, NY (one of the hot spots for corona virus right now) as well as in various places on the west coast, when in the US. Have you? What is your point? 
 

R😎

Which I think is irrelevant to the discussion we have about whether or not you've met the current members of the band or other musicians and people related to the music world. I don't understand what's your point.

Oh, and I didn't know any members of Deep Purple.

Of the ex-members of Deep Purple, I have only attended concerts by David Coverdale, Glenn Hughes and Joe Lynn Turner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, reids said:

All the best with your music

You've edited your post, so I haven't seen this. I appreciate that. And I'm also "healthy" jealous that you met Ritchie... Did you have a good time, any stories?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Rodrigo said:

 

Sending you a PM

R😎

Edited by reids

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, reids said:

wouldn’t say hello nor even sign an autograph for a young fan battling cancer who was a special guest of the band

That's very sad. That's too bad, I admit. I'm not a blind fan of Ritchie, I've already said that. But it doesn't change anything I've said in this thread either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2020 at 5:39 PM, Rodrigo said:

He was inducted into the RARHOF, simply didn't attend the ceremony.

Ritchie's pre-ceremony message:

Ritchie was honored by the offer of induction to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. He was discussing the possibility of attending, until we received correspondence from the President of the Rock Hall of Fame, who said that Bruce Payne, management for the current Deep Purple Touring Band, had said "No"..........!!!!!"
Therefore Ritchie will not be attending the ceremony. He sincerely thanks all the fans that voted for him for their support.


I also leave the words of David Coverdale that I posted before:

"It was really ugly what happened.

I heard how the manager did everything he could to stop Glenn Hughes and me from giving a speech. Jon Lord's daughter wasn't there, which surprised us. But she refused to go when it was announced that Ritchie Blackmore was not allowed to attend, it was a mockery... None of them would be there if it wasn't for Ritchie".

All the members of the MKI, MKII, and MKIII formations were inducted, except Nick Simper, without explanation, an embarrassment, I can't understand.

Joe Lynn Turner should be inducted as well. And although I don't consider MKIV to be a Deep Purple formation (said by Jon Lord himself), I'd have liked Tommy Bolin to be inducted, but these are personal appreciations.

 

All in all Deep Purple´s  induction to the RARHOF was nothing but a train wreck, sad for Ritchie, sad for Jon Lord´s daughter, and the exclusion of  Nick Simper didn´t help either.

IMO the main guilty party are the authorities of the RARHOF. One should expect that they are able to choose AND invite ALL relevant musicians themselves. No need to even contact the current manager of the group, things can go terribly wrong with a motherfucker like Bruce Payne. 

Also, you are still a little confused about MK4: you don´t consider them to be a Deep Purple formation, your quotation of Jon Lord  is completely out of context just to undermine your very personal point of view.

And to keep things really funny, you would have liked Tommy Bolin to be inducted as a former member of Deep Purple????? 

Please stick to the facts: Deep Purple from 1968 - 1976, MK1 to MK4 is classical Deep Purple. Whether you like one, two or all of the formations is up to you.

I wouldn´t have liked Tommy Bolin to be inducted just as a member of Deep Purple, he has every right to be inducted for HIS complete works & contribution to the world of music. Just my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The RNRHOF is a joke, agreed. They’re inconsistent with who they select as it varies from group to group and I think they’re just a private social club who like certain groups and don’t like others (not objective). It’s sad that Blackmore wasn’t able to participate and what happened with DP. All former members should have been invited and been able to attend/perform. 
 

R😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Autumn Moon said:

Also, you are still a little confused about MK4: you don´t consider them to be a Deep Purple formation, your quotation of Jon Lord  is completely out of context just to undermine your very personal point of view.

Why? It's true that Jon Lord has said that 'Come Taste The Band' is a fantastic album, but not by Deep Purple. He also said he should have left the band with Ritchie in '75. Why is this out of context?

7 minutes ago, Autumn Moon said:

And to keep things really funny, you would have liked Tommy Bolin to be inducted as a former member of Deep Purple?????

You got me on this one. I really appreciate Tommy Bolin, for his album in Deep Purple, for his solo albums and his excellent participation in Billy Cobham's 'Spectrum'.

But you're right about this, the Bolin thing is pure emotion and feeling on my part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Autumn Moon said:

All in all Deep Purple´s  induction to the RARHOF was nothing but a train wreck, sad for Ritchie, sad for Jon Lord´s daughter, and the exclusion of  Nick Simper didn´t help either.

IMO the main guilty party are the authorities of the RARHOF. One should expect that they are able to choose AND invite ALL relevant musicians themselves. No need to even contact the current manager of the group, things can go terribly wrong with a motherfucker like Bruce Payne. 

Also, you are still a little confused about MK4: you don´t consider them to be a Deep Purple formation, your quotation of Jon Lord  is completely out of context just to undermine your very personal point of view.

And to keep things really funny, you would have liked Tommy Bolin to be inducted as a former member of Deep Purple????? 

Please stick to the facts: Deep Purple from 1968 - 1976, MK1 to MK4 is classical Deep Purple. Whether you like one, two or all of the formations is up to you.

I wouldn´t have liked Tommy Bolin to be inducted just as a member of Deep Purple, he has every right to be inducted for HIS complete works & contribution to the world of music. Just my opinion.

100% agree re. Tommy Bolin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Rodrigo said:

Why? It's true that Jon Lord has said that 'Come Taste The Band' is a fantastic album, but not by Deep Purple. He also said he should have left the band with Ritchie in '75. Why is this out of context?

Never heard he said that "Come Taste The Band" wasn´t a DP album, why should he? They decided to carry on with Tommy Bolin and I remember a lot of flattering compliments from Jon for Tommy´s playing, his songwriting and for beeing the man he was. Not until things got out of hand and ugly during their US tour due to the increasing drug antics of both Bolin and Hughes, this is what Jon considered "not like Deep Purple anymore". I think their tours of the US and the UK in 76 had a similar output like the 77 US tour of Led Zeppelin, a few brilliant shows, a lot of average shows & a lot of mediocre gigs. And of course Glenn Hughes had his equal share for the rapide decline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just watched the AXS-TV Classic Albums episode on Machine Head again.  Fantastic except they leave out my favorite track on the album - Lazy.  If you have not seen it, seek it out.  Great bit when Ritchie says they basically decided they wanted to play heavy rock after they heard Zeppelin.  The band members speak proudly and with interesting insights about the tracks and the times.  One of the best album documentaries I have seen.

Edited by John M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes when I listen to this I find myself wondering how can it be this good?  Absolute perfection from start to finish.  I used to think they should have stretched it out further in the studio and given Ritchie another go, but I have come to the conclusion it is perfect the way it is.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Autumn Moon said:

Never heard he said that "Come Taste The Band" wasn´t a DP album, why should he? They decided to carry on with Tommy Bolin and I remember a lot of flattering compliments from Jon for Tommy´s playing, his songwriting and for beeing the man he was. Not until things got out of hand and ugly during their US tour due to the increasing drug antics of both Bolin and Hughes, this is what Jon considered "not like Deep Purple anymore".

It's true that Jon has always had good words with Tommy (and I agree with him), but I also read in some interviews (many years ago) that he didn't consider 'Come Taste The Band' as a Deep Purple album, and that he should have left with Ritchie in '75.

Trust me, I'm not going to lie to "win" a forum discussion, I'm not so stupid.

I googled the interview, but I couldn't find it. I think there's something similar he said on the 'Phoenix Rising' DVD. I got it, but honestly, now I don't feel like watching the whole thing. But I've been watching some of the documentary stuff on YouTube.
 

5:28 Here he says "most people". Not him.
 

29:03

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

I also found that Jon has said this, literally, "a Coverdale, Hughes and Bolin album with Ian Paice and Jon Lord helping out".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to see the love for Tommy Bolin.

18 hours ago, Rodrigo said:

The problem is that he did want to play some songs at the ceremony, and also, of course, attend. But I already quoted all the facts, I'm not going to quote them again, unless you want to, but I'd prefer that you read them, if you haven't already.

If RB had not already made himself unwelcome in the band's presence, no doubt he would have played the songs he wanted to play. That's on him.

18 hours ago, Rodrigo said:

Jon Lord left the band many, many years before he passed away!!!

I stand corrected. He played with DP through 1998, and then continued to stay musically active until his death.

19 hours ago, Rodrigo said:

By the way, yes, I'm a big fan of Ritchie Blackmore

Really?

19 hours ago, Rodrigo said:

There's just your mistake. A band isn't like a football team. If Ritchie has decided to quit in '93, being the main composer of the band, and the characteristic sound next to Jon Lord, if the band continues under the name of "Deep Purple" it loses "a little" credibility.

Wow. No credit for Paice, Glover or Gillian, OG members of MK II. Ritchie Blackmore has never accomplished anything without the help of other musicians, acting with him as a band. Whatever RB has accomplished as a "composer"  means nothing without a great band to assist with bringing it to life. Keep in mind, he has never released a solo album, a project which spotlights him alone. He has always existed in a band to help see his vision realized.

19 hours ago, Rodrigo said:

I think Ian Paice, and the current line-up, have no right to play under the name of Deep Purple (think of the example of Creedence Clearwater Revisited that I mentioned before), although I don't really care, it's not something that takes away my sleep, that they play under whatever name they want.

This is absolutely not a comparable analogy. It's clear you have zero respect for the other DP members who helped create the classic and other great material. That's unfortunate but won't keep me up either. Rock on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hold up, did somebody basically say that Ian Paice wasn't good enough to be in Deep Purple?!
A-ha-ha-ha-ha. Yeah, good one.
That sound you can hear is all the dogs in Yorkshire laughing at you.
Ritchie Blackmore thought Paice was good enough, but you don't?
Think about that for a minute... 

As for Ronnie Dio leaving Rainbow on good terms, let's not forget Roger Glover's yarn about him having to be the intermediary between Blackmore and Dio because they wouldn't actually talk to each other. Which fits with Blackmore saying of Dio that 'I couldn't talk to him any more...I saw him as this angry, bitter little man.'
And yeah, he did actually use the 'L' word... 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2020 at 1:51 PM, Badgeholder Still said:

Nice to see the love for Tommy Bolin.

If RB had not already made himself unwelcome in the band's presence, no doubt he would have played the songs he wanted to play. That's on him.

I stand corrected. He played with DP through 1998, and then continued to stay musically active until his death.

Really?

Wow. No credit for Paice, Glover or Gillian, OG members of MK II. Ritchie Blackmore has never accomplished anything without the help of other musicians, acting with him as a band. Whatever RB has accomplished as a "composer"  means nothing without a great band to assist with bringing it to life. Keep in mind, he has never released a solo album, a project which spotlights him alone. He has always existed in a band to help see his vision realized.

This is absolutely not a comparable analogy. It's clear you have zero respect for the other DP members who helped create the classic and other great material. That's unfortunate but won't keep me up either. Rock on.

I'm not going to go into the same old issues, because we're never going to agree, and honestly, it's getting boring.

But let me be clear on one thing, although I don't have to prove anything to you, or anyone else: Paice, Gillan, and Glover, are heroes to me, I not only respect them, I admire them. In fact, I already said that Ian Paice is in my "Top 3" of favorite drummers along with John Bonham and Cozy Powell.

I also value very much the contributions they made to the era I enjoy in Deep Purple. Amazing musicians, I never discussed that.

Simply, in my opinion, the current line-up is still a cover band... I can't see it any other way, is it a crime?

I don't know, maybe I said it in a "little aggressive" way, but it wasn't my intention.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2020 at 8:52 PM, Brigante said:

Hold up, did somebody basically say that Ian Paice wasn't good enough to be in Deep Purple?!
A-ha-ha-ha-ha. Yeah, good one.
That sound you can hear is all the dogs in Yorkshire laughing at you.
Ritchie Blackmore thought Paice was good enough, but you don't?
Think about that for a minute... 


As for Ronnie Dio leaving Rainbow on good terms, let's not forget Roger Glover's yarn about him having to be the intermediary between Blackmore and Dio because they wouldn't actually talk to each other. Which fits with Blackmore saying of Dio that 'I couldn't talk to him any more...I saw him as this angry, bitter little man.'
And yeah, he did actually use the 'L' word... 
 

 

???

You need to work on text compression.


f4de4627f9faa3f7c8afc7424947fefb.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rodrigo said:

You need to work on text compression.

My apologies to you, Rodrigo. If only my PhD supervisor had told me... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...