The Deep Purple Thread

eagle87

12 hours ago, Brigante said:

Why would you leave this off Made In Europe?!

Brilliant version, yes;  great video montage too, even though the song wasn't played at the Cal Jam.  In general all the songs from the Euro '75 tour that were released since the late 90's (Archive Alive, Graz, Paris, etc.) are far superior (in performance and sound quality) to Made In Europe, it's almost like DP's management picked the worst versions for release after the band broke up in '76.  Maybe they were giving a middle finger on the way out.

16 hours ago, Brigante said:

Why would you leave this off Made In Europe?!

I have a CD of 'Made In Europe' Russian version (pirate for sure), that comes with some bonus tracks, among them, 'The Gypsy'.

I love the album 'Stormbringer', it was the first Deep Purple album I heard.

11 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Brilliant version, yes;  great video montage too, even though the song wasn't played at the Cal Jam.  In general all the songs from the Euro '75 tour that were released since the late 90's (Archive Alive, Graz, Paris, etc.) are far superior (in performance and sound quality) to Made In Europe, it's almost like DP's management picked the worst versions for release after the band broke up in '76.  Maybe they were giving a middle finger on the way out.

It does make you wonder, John! Otherwise you'd expect something as good as this would be a no-brainer for release - it's really, really good, it adds something that the studio version didn't have, there's all that great Blackmore guitar, etc...yet it sits in the vaults for decades? Bizarre. Agreed about the way the California Jam footage has been synched up to the audio, too - whoever did that really knew what they were doing. Great stuff.       

12 hours ago, Rodrigo said:

I have a CD of 'Made In Europe' Russian version (pirate for sure), that comes with some bonus tracks, among them, 'The Gypsy'.

I love the album 'Stormbringer', it was the first Deep Purple album I heard.

😎🎸👍 cool.

i wish they’d re-release an official version w/ more tracks like “The Gypsy”.

R😎

10 hours ago, John M said:

I was surprised to hear Ian Gillan say in the AXS-TV Classic Albums episode that Blackmore did not like this.  

This is surprising, it's a really great song, should've been on the album.  Metallica does an amazing cover of it:

15 hours ago, Brigante said:

It does make you wonder, John! Otherwise you'd expect something as good as this would be a no-brainer for release - it's really, really good, it adds something that the studio version didn't have, there's all that great Blackmore guitar, etc...yet it sits in the vaults for decades? Bizarre. Agreed about the way the California Jam footage has been synched up to the audio, too - whoever did that really knew what they were doing. Great stuff.       

Blackmore's muttonchops are really cool.  The 70's were a great time.

11 hours ago, reids said:

😎🎸👍 cool.

i wish they’d re-release an official version w/ more tracks like “The Gypsy”.

R😎

'Stormbringer' is a very underrated album.

Coverdale gave 'The Gypsy' a chance on 'The Purple Tour'. Also, Glenn Hughes, when I saw him in Buenos Aires two years ago, played 'Holy Man', although he later removed it from the set-list.

'Stormbringer' is much more than the title track and 'Soldier Of Fortune'.

27 minutes ago, Rodrigo said:

'Stormbringer' is a very underrated album.

Coverdale gave 'The Gypsy' a chance on 'The Purple Tour'. Also, Glenn Hughes, when I saw him in Buenos Aires two years ago, played 'Holy Man', although he later removed it from the set-list.

'Stormbringer' is much more than the title track and 'Soldier Of Fortune'.

😎👍 cool stuff 

Hughes is one of my favorite singers (especially his work with Black Country Communion.

It’s a shame Coverdale is having some vocal issues the past few years.  He’s having the others in Whitesnake sing more to help him lately, which is good.

R😎

35 minutes ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Stormbringer is too inconsistent.  If you took the best songs from the first Rainbow album and combined them with the best songs from Stormbringer, you'd have an excellent DP album. 

I think both albums are fantastic. I couldn't combine them, because 'Stormbringer' has a 'funky soul rock' vibe, and 'Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow' goes in a different direction with its medieval rock.

What is evident in Rainbow's first album is the absence of Cozy Powell, but it's still an epic album.

42 minutes ago, reids said:

😎👍 cool stuff 

Hughes is one of my favorite singers (especially his work with Black Country Communion.

It’s a shame Coverdale is having some vocal issues the past few years.  He’s having the others in Whitesnake sing more to help him lately, which is good.

R😎

I like the first two BCC albums very much. Then I lost the track of the band, although I listened to a couple of songs from the other two albums. I have to take some time to listen to them, but now I'm on to other things.

Yes, Coverdale is helped by the other members of the band, and also by the audience. Still, seeing it live is amazing. I really enjoyed last year when I saw him with Europe. I was pleasantly surprised by a scream he made on 'Still Of The Night', he's still got a bit more.

I'd like that when he can't handle the loudest songs, he changes the set-list to "calmer" songs. In fact, a tour in the style of 'Starkers In Tokyo' would not be bad at all.

Edited by Rodrigo

Blackmore must've been outvoted 4-1 when it came to putting When A Blind Man Cries on Machine Head - but it still didn't get on!
That tells you something about how Deep Purple worked at that time, eh?
Quite a contrast with Stormbringer, where he apparently accepted a lot of stuff he didn't like. 
It's odd, because in August 1974, Blackmore still had enough of a grip on Purple to basically veto Glenn Hughes singing backing vocals on Bowie's Young Americans album, yet literally only a handful of weeks later he was acquiescing to stuff like Can't Do It Right, even though he apparently hated it. Strange.  

2 hours ago, Brigante said:

Blackmore must've been outvoted 4-1 when it came to putting When A Blind Man Cries on Machine Head - but it still didn't get on!
That tells you something about how Deep Purple worked at that time, eh?
Quite a contrast with Stormbringer, where he apparently accepted a lot of stuff he didn't like. 
It's odd, because in August 1974, Blackmore still had enough of a grip on Purple to basically veto Glenn Hughes singing backing vocals on Bowie's Young Americans album, yet literally only a handful of weeks later he was acquiescing to stuff like Can't Do It Right, even though he apparently hated it. Strange.  

I recall an interview Blackmore did w/Rainbow in '76 in Australia where he said he had to trade w/Hughes to get Soldier of Fortune on the album, in exchange to agreeing to play one of Hughes' funkier songs (can't remember which one).  Speaking of which, here's another great cover:

On 4/18/2020 at 12:47 PM, John M said:

I was surprised to hear Ian Gillan say in the AXS-TV Classic Albums episode that Blackmore did not like this.  

I agree with Ritchie. 'When A Blind Man Cries' is a good song but it doesn't fit with 'Machine Head'.

What's really fun about the 'Machine Head' documentary is the crying for 'When A Blind Man Cries' but there's not a single word for 'Lazy'... Crazy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/28/2020 at 1:28 AM, reids said:

It’s Still better than anything Justin Bieber or Taylor Swift would ever be able to write.

R😎🎸👍

Justin Bieber's fans have never listened to DP and do not know about the band.