The Deep Purple Thread

eagle87

On 3/17/2021 at 9:39 AM, Brigante said:

Yes, I remember the first time I played Last Concert In Japan and the Hammond played the riff to Burn! 😲 
I improved the whole album once - I had a Teac two-track, where you could take one channel and put it into mono across both channels. For my own amusement, I taped the lp but put the single channel that Bolin's in across both left and right channels - Burn was still dodgy, but the rest of it sounded infinitely better. Far better than Simon Robinson's later official remix, simply because the guitar was much louder! 😄 
One weird thing about it, though - Bolin was in the left channel, so that was the one I spread across both in mono...but the solo in Lady Luck was in the right channel.
On the whole lp, that one solo was the only guitar part that was in a different channel. Made me wonder if it'd been overdubbed. 
Shame, cos that live solo on LCIJ is way better than the one Tommy played on the studio version of Lady Luck. 

I also found a hidden scam....I WANTED WOMAN IN TOKYO AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LITTLE INSTRUMENTAL

On 2/20/2021 at 3:15 PM, LedZep123 said:

Stormbringer is much for funk & R&B then the previous Burn. I do enjoy funk music, but I also find it sad that it was the first album you heard. The first one I heard was Fireball. 

However, at least you got to Soldier Of Fortune before me.... and damn, that is a song only a Mr. David Coverdale could do 

Nah... 'Stormbringer' is still one of my favourite albums. 'Burn' has songs like 'Lay Down Stay Down', which has one of Ritchie's best solos, and I find the solo extremely funky.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/10/2021 at 5:19 AM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Do any of you other Purple fans think that Ian Gillian and Jimmy Page could have done something special, had he they joined instead of the Firm?

Hard to say.  Coverdale and Page made a lot of sense, certainly, but I'm having trouble picturing Gillan and Page, doesn't seem like a natural mix.  OTOH I wouldn't have really imagined Gillan sounding good w/Black Sabbath, and I actually like Born Again a lot, so who knows, maybe Page and Gillan would have worked out.  To be honest, I initially liked the first Firm album but it really hasn't aged well, I'm really not too sure what Page was capable of putting out in the early 80's anyway.

4 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Speaking of the Firm, it's well-known that Blackmore tried to recruit Paul Rodgers into DP after Gillan left in '73.  That's another combination that doesn't sound right to me, but who knows.

Yeah, Paul Rodgers in DP sounds like a train wreck.

4 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Hard to say.  Coverdale and Page made a lot of sense, certainly, but I'm having trouble picturing Gillan and Page, doesn't seem like a natural mix.  OTOH I wouldn't have really imagined Gillan sounding good w/Black Sabbath, and I actually like Born Again a lot, so who knows, maybe Page and Gillan would have worked out.  To be honest, I initially liked the first Firm album but it really hasn't aged well, I'm really not too sure what Page was capable of putting out in the early 80's anyway.

It did not help that Tony Franklin and Chris Slade were pretty bland as a rhythm section. Coming after Jones & Bonham, it was embarrassing.

On 12/11/2021 at 9:50 AM, JohnOsbourne said:

We will never know but I would take Ian over Bad Co singer any day.  I just wonder if Jimmy ever approached him.  I loved his work on the rock opera Jesus Christ Superstar.  Fabulous.

On 12/11/2021 at 3:03 PM, JohnOsbourne said:

Speaking of the Firm, it's well-known that Blackmore tried to recruit Paul Rodgers into DP after Gillan left in '73.  That's another combination that doesn't sound right to me, but who knows.

It does sound right though as Blackmore wanted a more Blues sound in 73? Rodgers would have fitted in perfectly. I agree not singing old Purple stuff however

9 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Fixed that..

Not quite ... 

... don’t try to change my words, dude.

He’s not dead yet, so anything is possible. Until then, there’s a possibility (a very slight chance)... 

R😎

FB0099C0-5EA8-4F21-ADF7-6A385D78472F.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/21/2017 at 9:24 AM, BledZabbath said:

I just bought In Rock and Fireball, the anniversary editions with the bonus tracks, the only Purple albums I had were Machine Head and Perfect Strangers and Burn, I must say Perfect Strangers is my favorite, In Rock is okay as is Fireball but not great, I actually think Burn is better than In Rock and Fireball at the moment anyways.

Then again I grew up with Perfect Strangers, maybe that's why?

Any thoughts from anyone?

Well, in my opinion Mahine Head and In rock are the best, Fireball is a good appetizer. The bad thing about fireball is that they don't put demons' eye and strange kind of woman in the same album.

7 minutes ago, Ayton Kaleb said:

Well, in my opinion Mahine Head and In rock are the best, Fireball is a good appetizer. The bad thing about fireball is that they don't put demons' eye and strange kind of woman in the same album.

Agreed, Fireball is a very underrated album, it would have been great with Demon's Eye on it.