The Deep Purple Thread

eagle87

On 1/16/2022 at 6:52 AM, Ayton Kaleb said:

Black night is already in the album In rock? It's that in the cd edition they put it with the other songs.

Black Night was released as a single, it wasn´t on the original In Rock LP, though you can find it on the 25 years anniversary CD edition.

About Fireball: Original UK LP has Demon´s Eye on it whereas the original US release has Strange Kind Of Woman instead.

On 1/17/2022 at 6:45 PM, Autumn Moon said:

Black Night was released as a single, it wasn´t on the original In Rock LP, though you can find it on the 25 years anniversary CD edition.

About Fireball: Original UK LP has Demon´s Eye on it whereas the original US release has Strange Kind Of Woman instead.

Well anyway they put the cover to the song.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry to post this on the Deep Purple thread. I guess I just don’t get it with this band. It’s like nails on a chalkboard. Ian G’s voice literally makes me angry. I suppose if you like someone screaming with literally no vocal control and or talent. I suppose Richie B is a good guitarist. I have tried for years now. I’m 45 years old, I just can’t appreciate it at all. And for those who compare them to band which this site is dedicated too, I’m blown away. They are in different leagues, playing a different sport. Again, I know that there are several people on this forum who appreciate them. I really do apologize for this opinion. But to even mention them in the same breath is like mentioning Buck Cherry compared to Bad Company. And that isn’t as strongly as I feel about it. It would be like comparing The Darkness to Zeppelin. 

Again, I’m going to be hated for this probably, and for all of the DP fans I’m not trying to troll at all. I simply don’t get it. I will say to have gone onto this thread and to have posted this opinion I would absolutely understand the hate I will receive. 

Be well Zeppelin Friends and fans. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/5/2022 at 11:15 PM, Plant77 said:

Sorry to post this on the Deep Purple thread. I guess I just don’t get it with this band. It’s like nails on a chalkboard. Ian G’s voice literally makes me angry. I suppose if you like someone screaming with literally no vocal control and or talent. I suppose Richie B is a good guitarist. I have tried for years now. I’m 45 years old, I just can’t appreciate it at all. And for those who compare them to band which this site is dedicated too, I’m blown away. They are in different leagues, playing a different sport. Again, I know that there are several people on this forum who appreciate them. I really do apologize for this opinion. But to even mention them in the same breath is like mentioning Buck Cherry compared to Bad Company. And that isn’t as strongly as I feel about it. It would be like comparing The Darkness to Zeppelin. 

Again, I’m going to be hated for this probably, and for all of the DP fans I’m not trying to troll at all. I simply don’t get it. I will say to have gone onto this thread and to have posted this opinion I would absolutely understand the hate I will receive. 

Be well Zeppelin Friends and fans. 

Some have said Plant sounds like Nails on a chalkboard, saying Ian has no talent and Richie is a good guitarist ? Wrong on both. both bands are in the same league. and to say to even mention them in the same breath ?  why not. so many seem to think that LZ are the Gods of everything, sorry to spoil your dream but they are not.

I Love LZ and DP, both are fantastic, a huge fan here, saw both bands live and they were both stellar. if you want to compare, Blackmore is a better player then Page, but Page was so good in the studio, Bass players were all good but will give the nodd to Jones for his arrangements, keyboards, that's easy. Lord was so good, singers were great for both bands, comes down to your own tastes, drummers, we all know Bonzo was great, Paice is so under rated, listen to Burn for details, the guy was amazing. Live well DP were always tight, never sloppy, cannot say that about LZ, Made in Japan compared to maybe How the West was Won which is great but MIJ is the beast for most.

So they really were in the same league. both great in their own ways for many reasons, your not hated for what you think, not by me anyway, we were lucky to have them both.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2022 at 8:38 AM, lynxwizard said:

Some have said Plant sounds like Nails on a chalkboard, saying Ian has no talent and Richie is a good guitarist ? Wrong on both. both bands are in the same league. and to say to even mention them in the same breath ?  why not. so many seem to think that LZ are the Gods of everything, sorry to spoil your dream but they are not.

I Love LZ and DP, both are fantastic, a huge fan here, saw both bands live and they were both stellar. if you want to compare, Blackmore is a better player then Page, but Page was so good in the studio, Bass players were all good but will give the nodd to Jones for his arrangements, keyboards, that's easy. Lord was so good, singers were great for both bands, comes down to your own tastes, drummers, we all know Bonzo was great, Paice is so under rated, listen to Burn for details, the guy was amazing. Live well DP were always tight, never sloppy, cannot say that about LZ, Made in Japan compared to maybe How the West was Won which is great but MIJ is the beast for most.

So they really were in the same league. both great in their own ways for many reasons, your not hated for what you think, not by me anyway, we were lucky to have them both.

Hello,

We will have to disagree. They are no where in the same league. The proof is in the pudding. Record sales, knowledge of the band, radio play, album play, the general public being aware of who Deep Purple is compared to Zeppelin. There are many levels of how they are no where near the band and or talent that Zeppelin is. They are a great bar band, and I absolutely disagree that Blackmore is anywhere near the songwriter, player live and or studio, producer, arranger as Page. That’s laughable. Jones is 100% superior to anyone in that band on any instrument. Robert and Ian are like the Yankees and Cleveland Indians/Guardians. 1 is incredible, the other is serviceable and was specifically chosen to sound like and look like the other and that is straight from Blackmores mouth. Ian can’t hold a candle to Plant. That is like Weird Al verses Prince. The proof to that comparison is what is Ian doing now and what has he been doing since 1975 compared to what Robert has been doing and what he is doing currently. 

There are some musicians that will mention Deep Purple or Blackmore because they like to sound interesting and intelligent. I’ve listened to all of their stuff, I’ve tried to like them. They are influential to a degree, they were not playing in the same stadium, the same league, the same sport. In Zeppelins catalog there are maybe 4-5 songs that are thought of as less then great. DP has maybe 2 pretty good songs. 

I would like to finish by saying that I don’t find them appealing at all. I love many bands, I can appreciate any genre of music if it is good. DP are not my cup of Tea for Two. Really who gives a shit of what I think, or what you think. Enjoy what you want. Think what you want. I’m all for that. I’m also for facts, and the facts show that Zeppelin and the Beatles and the Stones and Clapton and Hendrix  are in 1 league and a lot of other people are below, and some are way below their level of talent. I’m not the decider of that. The public is. 

On 1/18/2022 at 12:45 AM, Autumn Moon said:

I had (have I think) both. Black Night was a double A side with Speed King. Came out in 1970 I think. My Fireball LP has Demons Eye on it

Edited by chillumpuffer