Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
eagle87

The Deep Purple Thread

Recommended Posts

Seeing DP in Philly on Thursday. Really excited, but I'm also a little skeptical of how they've aged. Has anyone else seen them on this tour?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2019 at 8:07 AM, June72 said:

Seeing DP in Philly on Thursday. Really excited, but I'm also a little skeptical of how they've aged. Has anyone else seen them on this tour?

How was it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

How was it?

They blew us all away! It was My girlfriend, another close friend and I, I was expecting them to put on a half decent show with some hit or miss renditions of the old tunes. They stuck to what they could do (no Child In Time), but what they played, they played with a lot of energy. What surprised me most was how well Gillan's voice has held up over the years. He didn't pull a McCartney or a Plant, he could still do those Bloodsucker notes justice, along with Highway Star and Space Truckin. He wasn't hitting the super highs but it didn't detract at all. When we heard them play Green Onions, my friend and I started joking that they'd break into How Many More Times. Then, during the last song (the encores were probably about 20 minutes in total of 3 songs) the guitarist was soloing and broke into a little medley, and actually played the main HMMT riff for about four bars I'd say. My friend and I were shocked.😁

The show didn't hit two hours, but it was well worth it. I'd recommend seeing them if they're coming anywhere near you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2019 at 11:07 AM, June72 said:

Seeing DP in Philly on Thursday. Really excited, but I'm also a little skeptical of how they've aged. Has anyone else seen them on this tour?

Saw them in Atlanta a few weeks ago. They were at their best & Gillan Sang better than previous times I’ve seen them over the past decade. His golf game has improved, too (I hear). Maybe hanging out with Alice Cooper on a recent tour has helped him focus.

R😎 

34119C13-8DDC-4F3C-9A9C-6C0503AD770E.jpeg

4748958F-1278-45A7-AABC-21E6F70065E9.jpeg

6F4509ED-F4FA-4656-A5D2-EFC203ADC7BD.jpeg

68A8106D-1D5E-44D9-8DA8-CA964A7495E0.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, June72 said:

They blew us all away! It was My girlfriend, another close friend and I, I was expecting them to put on a half decent show with some hit or miss renditions of the old tunes. They stuck to what they could do (no Child In Time), but what they played, they played with a lot of energy. What surprised me most was how well Gillan's voice has held up over the years. He didn't pull a McCartney or a Plant, he could still do those Bloodsucker notes justice, along with Highway Star and Space Truckin. He wasn't hitting the super highs but it didn't detract at all. When we heard them play Green Onions, my friend and I started joking that they'd break into How Many More Times. Then, during the last song (the encores were probably about 20 minutes in total of 3 songs) the guitarist was soloing and broke into a little medley, and actually played the main HMMT riff for about four bars I'd say. My friend and I were shocked.😁

The show didn't hit two hours, but it was well worth it. I'd recommend seeing them if they're coming anywhere near you.

Cool, glad you enjoyed it! The last time they were in my area they co-headlined with Alice Cooper and Edgar Winter in 2017 and I'm hoping they return one more time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

Cool, glad you enjoyed it! The last time they were in my area they co-headlined with Alice Cooper and Edgar Winter in 2017 and I'm hoping they return one more time!

They have a new album due soon (which was recorded in Nashville) and touring next year, as long as everyone stays healthy.

R😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to the new album.

R😎 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2020 at 3:52 PM, The Pagemeister said:

 

As for me the song sounds cabaretish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Freeyyaa said:

As for me the song sounds cabaretish.

It’s Still better than anything Justin Bieber or Taylor Swift would ever be able to write.

R😎🎸👍

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2020 at 3:59 PM, Stryder1978 said:

SIXTY EIGHT AND STILL KICKIN' ASS!

 

I saw him in April 2018 in Buenos Aires! AWESOME!
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, but Deep Purple without Ritchie Blackmore and Jon Lord is a bad joke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Rodrigo said:

Sorry, but Deep Purple without Ritchie Blackmore and Jon Lord is a bad joke.

Since somewhere around the time original members Nick Simper and Rod Evans (remember them?) left, Deep Purple has officially been a musician's collective. 14 members in total (so far), who have maintained the spirit of this band from the beginning to the present day.  

Lord and Blackmore are distinct voices forever associated with DP. But the band has had no problem carrying on without RB for 17 years (Morse is a legend in his own right) and hard rock veteran Don Airey has been a perfect fit.

Very few bands have maintained the same lineup from the beginning to the end and continued to produce significant, enduring output. LZ, ZZ Top...  Even the almighty Beatles replaced Pete Best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Badgeholder Still said:

Since somewhere around the time original members Nick Simper and Rod Evans (remember them?) left, Deep Purple has officially been a musician's collective. 14 members in total (so far), who have maintained the spirit of this band from the beginning to the present day.  

Lord and Blackmore are distinct voices forever associated with DP. But the band has had no problem carrying on without RB for 17 years (Morse is a legend in his own right) and hard rock veteran Don Airey has been a perfect fit.

Very few bands have maintained the same lineup from the beginning to the end and continued to produce significant, enduring output. LZ, ZZ Top...  Even the almighty Beatles replaced Pete Best.

Sorry, I can't agree. I know all the members who have been in the band, but the essence, the great composers, the characteristic sound of the band was always that of Blackmore and Lord. In fact, I love the album 'Come Taste The Band' with Tommy Bolin, but I can't consider it a Deep Purple work.

Since Blackmore left the band in '93, they have gone from bad to worse. In fact... Morse's been in Deep Purple for more years than Ritchie, and live they play about 95% of Blackmore's songs. They have no shame.

Edited by Rodrigo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Rodrigo said:

Sorry, I can't agree. I know all the members who have been in the band, but the essence, the great composers, the characteristic sound of the band was always that of Blackmore and Lord. In fact, I love the album 'Come Taste The Band' with Tommy Bolin, but I can't consider it a Deep Purple work.

Since Blackmore left the band in '93, they have gone from bad to worse. In fact... Morse's been in Deep Purple for more years than Ritchie, and live they play about 95% of Blackmore's songs. They have no shame.

Of course, there is a classic period and there is still a focus on that. They cater to what their audience expects. I've seen the band twice since 2017 and I would be happy with hearing more more Morse era material, 'cause i dig it. There are a lot of great songs there. Probably most who attend shows expect to hear the classic material, and that's why they play it. As a huge Bolin fan, I would love to hear Morse interpret Bolin songs, but i don't expect it. It is what it is and they play what concertgoers expect. But they still release albums with great material. As long a version of DP with is touring, i'll support them. And i'll investigate new DP music as long as they produce it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...