Led Zeppelin's Blues Roots

MadScreamingGallery

Led Zeppelin's Blues Roots

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...toryId=87803133

[9 min 36 sec] add to playlist

News & Notes , February 29, 2008 - Led Zeppelin created the blueprint for heavy metal, but much of the Brit rock band's hard-hitting sound was based on American blues. Farai Chideya talks with Led Zeppelin biographer Stephen Davis about how blues music influenced the iconic rock and roll band.

Davis is the author of Hammer of the Gods: The Led Zeppelin Saga.

Related NPR Stories

# Video: From Lead Belly To Led Zeppelin

On today's show, we examine the family tree of rock 'n' roll; tracing Led Zeppelin's amp-busting anthems to their roots in the blues of the American South. Each of Jimmy Page's guitar riffs or Robert Plant's soulful wails is an homage to the great blues musicians from Biloxi to Nashville.

But sometimes seeing is believing.

So check out these videos of the real thing.

Do you think the blues is dead? Is there a modern equivalent? What other black musicians do you think are underrated or forgotten about? If you could go back in time and catch any artist's performance, whose would it be?

Lead Belly (You may also remember his song re-envisioned by Nirvana for MTV Unplugged in 1994.)

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...toryId=87803133

Cool post, MSG. My love of the blues can definitely be traced back to my love of Led Zeppelin.

Songbird, you're welcome. :)

Same with me, Songbird! I discovered and fell in love with Zep first and, through them, I came to explore the blues.

Edited by MadScreamingGallery

Same with me, Songbird! I discovered and fell in love with Zep first and, through them, I came to explore the blues.

Yep, that's my exact story! Well, I took a detour through The Yardbirds and such first, which of course led me straight to the blues. B) And from there, jazz, soul, etc.... man, if I hadn't of discovered Led Zeppelin I would probably still be listening to the Spice Girls!! :D

Yep, that's my exact story! Well, I took a detour through The Yardbirds and such first, which of course led me straight to the blues. B) And from there, jazz, soul, etc.... man, if I hadn't of discovered Led Zeppelin I would probably still be listening to the Spice Girls!! :D

Mine too - down to the Yardies detour! :D

(No Spice Girls though :lol: )

Love the Yardies..... and Pagey was so cute then too. :D

Re: Spice Girls- I'm a '90s baby, its not my fault. :lol:

Ah, Yardies Pagey. Jimmy was very cute and fine back then, wasn't he? :D

90's baby, well then you're forgiven for the Spice Girls. :lol:

Chalk me up as another who started listening to the blues through Zep. Even though the blues influence was apparent in some of the acts I listened to before becoming a fully-fledged Zep fan, it was Zep who drove me to actively seek out the 'sources', as it were. Great post, MSG! :thumbsup:

You're most welcome, Baroness. :beer:

Interesting how several of us share the same story re Zep and our intro to the blues. :D

Zep sent me in search of blues records by Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson and others myself but Skynyrd and other groups were also instrumental in that search. Years later the Honeydrippers EP would have a similar effect when I began sifting through my parents old Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis and Ray Charles albums. To this day I still love those old early rock n' roll and rockabilly sides which led me to pick up two very excellent box sets on Rhino: Loud Fast and Out of Control: The Wild Sounds of 50s Rock and Rockin' Bones: 1950s Punk and Rockabilly.

41QVY09T81L._AA240_.jpg51RVEH370HL._AA240_.jpg

Zep sent me in search of blues records by Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson and others myself but Skynyrd and other groups were also instrumental in that search. Years later the Honeydrippers EP would have a similar effect when I began sifting through my parents old Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis and Ray Charles albums. To this day I still love those old early rock n' roll and rockabilly sides which led me to pick up two very excellent box sets on Rhino: Loud Fast and Out of Control: The Wild Sounds of 50s Rock and Rockin' Bones: 1950s Punk and Rockabilly.

[...]

Those box sets look great! I love early rock 'n roll and I would add Chuck Berry and Richie Valens to my list of favorites. I discovered early rock 'n roll from reading about what the '60s and '70's rockers listened to when they were growing up.