Led Zeppelin's Blues Roots

Led Zeppelin created the blueprint for heavy metal, but much of the Brit rock band's hard-hitting sound was based on American blues. Farai Chideya talks with Led Zeppelin biographer Stephen Davis about how blues music influenced the iconic rock and roll band.

Davis is the author of Hammer of the Gods: The Led Zeppelin Saga.

LISTEN NOW

Cool, thanks for that.

Mojo Magazine did a Roots of Led Zeppelin issue with a CD with lots of great songs.

Here's the track list

Long Tall Sally - LITTLE RICHARD

As Long As I Have You - GARNETT MIMMS

Travelling Riverside Blues - ROBERT JOHNSON

Shake 'Em On Down - BUKKA WHITE

Summertime - SANTO & JOHNNY

Blackwater Side - BERT JANSCH

Nobody's Fault But Mine - JOHN RENBOURN

Fresh Garbage - SPIRIT

You Need Love - MUDDY WATERS

Killin' Floor - HOWLIN' WOLF

In My Time Of Dying - BLIND WILLIE JOHNSON

She Moved Through The Fair/Blue Ragga - DAVY GRAHAM

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You - JOAN BAEZ

Dance Of The Inhabitants Of The Palace Of King Phillip XIV Of Spain - JOHN FAHEY

She Likes It - OWEN HAND.

Led Zeppelin created the blueprint for heavy metal, but much of the Brit rock band's hard-hitting sound was based on American blues. Farai Chideya talks with Led Zeppelin biographer Stephen Davis about how blues music influenced the iconic rock and roll band.

Davis is the author of Hammer of the Gods: The Led Zeppelin Saga.

Now there's a credible source of information.

That was less about roots and influence and more about the same old boring accusations of wholesale theft. Seems like Davis has gone deaf in terms of being able tell composers apart, and has forgotten where Willie Dixon got his "inspirations" from as well.

:coffee:

That was less about roots and influence and more about the same old boring accusations of wholesale theft. Seems like Davis has gone deaf in terms of being able tell composers apart, and has forgotten where Willie Dixon got his "inspirations" from as well.

:coffee:

Maybe. But then why would Led Zeppelin change their song credits in later years if this was only about "roots and influence?"

Maybe. But then why would Led Zeppelin change their song credits in later years if this was only about "roots and influence?"

Because Plant didn't change some of the lyrics he lifted wholesale early on.

Anyway, out of their whole catalog, they've only added a few credits over the decades.

What always kills me is when people play some snippet of a song, then follow it with a snippet of Zeppelin's take on it, which even in a few seconds doesn't sound remotely the same. Similarities, yes. Straight theft? Not hardly. Those people can't see the forest for the trees.

I've never had the slightest problem telling Led Zeppelin apart from Muddy Waters, how about you?

Archived