Mothership and SRTS new vinyls

aen27

I'm not certain if everyone knows this, but Mothership and the new Song Remains the Same vynials are coming out on March 17th. This is the version of Mothership I've really been waiting for as it have the collectable suff in it as well. I can't wait to see what it looks like. Orginally they were soppose to come out I know when the CDs came out.

Excuse my noobish noobness, but where can I buy it when it is released? I'm getting the In Through the Out Door vinyl for my birthday and maybe I can pay for this one too.

I just looked on Amazon, and the only one they have listed so far is Mothership, at $80. Also, it didn't look like Amazon itself was selling it-it shows two record stores selling "new and used".

Probably the best place to get them IMHO is Acoustic Sounds. They have GREAT service and ship their vinyl is very sturdy/safe LP mailers. They are now taking pre orders. They have the release date listed as March 18th with a price of $59.98. Both Mothership and TSRTS are half speed mastered on 180 gram vinyl. They also have the rest of the Zeppelin catalog on vinyl .

Cheers,

PageyPlant

I pre-ordered it from accousticsounds.com. The 17th is the UK date so the 18th is the US one. That sounds right. It is listed on Amazon UK as vynil. It has the collectable stuff and 4 records, which is why it's so expensive. But it's worth it.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not certain if everyone knows this, but Mothership and the new Song Remains the Same vynials are coming out on March 17th. This is the version of Mothership I've really been waiting for as it have the collectable suff in it as well. I can't wait to see what it looks like. Orginally they were soppose to come out I know when the CDs came out.

I have pre-ordered both albums at acoustic sounds but I see now they pushed the release date back to May 20, 2008 <_< . I highly suggest that you pre-order these as they will likely be sold out rather quickly particularly if any tour does happen.

MinnesotaZepFan :beer:

In response to the price of vinyl. Much of it is no more expensive than it was 25 years ago (considering inflation) but the 180 gram, 200 gram "supervinyl" and half speed pressings have always been high buck. The MSRP for MFSL 180 gram albums was $24.99 many years ago and the 200 gram Anadiscs were more yet. The UHQR were for the audiophiles with unlimited funds but they were perhaps the best pressings produced and this is why they command such a high price on EBAY these days. These were "virgin" vinyl which added to the cost as the raw material was more expensive to use and the pressings were limited and cut from the original master tapes rather than 2nd and 3rd (or more) generation masters. Dollar for dollar, they are a better price now than they were back then. Many of the best pressings were from JVC in Japan (MFSL were pressed there).

I wished i never saw this site. This is going to be expensive. The problem i have is i want to frame one set and have another one to play. Plus my current turntable is not worthy and a New Marantz stereo amp may be in the works since my main one doesn't have a phono input. ( i have to use a Pre amp.) Ill probably save my money and get a mint set from the 70's later in life.

best buy has them on pre sale for $59.98. the release date is 5/20/08 at best buy. the page doesn't say anything about the collectables. so with or with out, it's a bit much...

but i'm still going to get at least one of them. don't know which, yet. i do have a 1985 kenwood 650 watt system, to play it on. can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!

Probably the best place to get them IMHO is Acoustic Sounds. They have GREAT service and ship their vinyl is very sturdy/safe LP mailers. They are now taking pre orders. They have the release date listed as March 18th with a price of $59.98. Both Mothership and TSRTS are half speed mastered on 180 gram vinyl. They also have the rest of the Zeppelin catalog on vinyl .

Cheers,

PageyPlant

what is half speed mastered??

what is half speed mastered??

Courtesy of http://www.audiophilelps.com/

Guide to Audiophile LPs

Copyright 2007 © where applicable.

Audiophile - in Latin 'lovers of sound'

Overview

It's no exaggeration to say that vinyl has experienced something of a resurgence in the last decade. In a world of musical convenience gained from the introduction of CDs in 1983 and more recently mp3 players, many ask what the appeal of vinyl is and why people are still buying. It would be easy not to understand its appeal if you have never heard how good an LP can sound on a good music system. From the moment you open a record, the size of the artwork, its touch and smell suggest that its something special, beyond the simple convenience of CDs, but nothing comes close to the experience of listening to it. If you are using a good turntable and hi-fi, playing a record can be a wonderful and enjoying experience, arguably being a much closer experience to hearing the music live - with an analog medium sounding less artificial than CDs and compressed digital formats.

The increase in vinyl sales over the last decade are not just from 'normal' LPs you can still buy in some stores and online, but also from the sale of audiophile vinyl pressings, which are manufactured with much greater care and always arguably sound much better than cheaper releases. Please find below a comprehensive overview of audiophile vinyl pressings - how they're made, what the big labels are releasing audiophile records and links to reviews of some of the best sounding releases we've heard. Think of us as your guide to the best quality records now available, allowing you to listen to your favourite albums fresh, enjoy as close to a 'live listening experience' in your home as possible and gain the best possible listening experience from your music system.

General Overview

- Vinyl Quality. Most audiophile LPs are now released on vinyl weighing either 180 grams ('180g') or 200 grams ('200g') and are denoted as such to indicate the greater quality of the vinyl used, often being 'virgin vinyl' meaning purer vinyl is used rather than the recycled plastics used in the production of standard LPs. A result of the greater quality and weight of the vinyl is usually lower surface noise and less cross talk. Please note: earlier audiophile LPs (including those from MFSL, Nautilus, Nimbus Supercut, etc.) were released on standard weight vinyl, but the quality of the vinyl used was very pure and as such, the quality of the sound on these releases is as good - or in some cases better, than the quality of newer releases. Furthermore, heavier vinyl arguably has a longer life and can withstand repeated plays more than the cheaper, less pure vinyl used on standard LPs.

- Original Master Tapes. Audiophile records are often mastered from the original tapes that were used to record the album in the studio or live. This is in contrast to many standard LPs which are mastered from sixth, seventh or even eight generation copies or dupes. With each successive copy sounding less like the original tapes and losing something in the copying process, mastering from the original tapes means that the sound of the resulting record will be as close as possible to the sound of the original tapes and thus as close as possible to the experience of actually being there during the original recording. Many audiophile records are mastered from the original tapes and clearly state this on the record, for example, Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (MFSL) releases are all labeled 'Original Master Recording' to make this as clear as possible!

- Half Speed Mastering. Half speed mastering refers to the speed of mastering the original recording onto the master lacquer, which is then used to make the masters that press each LP. Many standard LPs are mastered at standard speed, which means that the master tape moves at the same speed as the original recording session and the master lacquer moves at 33 13 rpm. In contrast, it is also possible to run each of these machines at half speed. As a result, there is twice as much time for the cutting stylus to cut every possible detail and delicate groove modulation, resulting in LPs where you can hear details and nuances on your favourite albums that you never heard before. Furthermore, mastering at half speed uses less power and as a result the cutting head amplifiers use only one fourth as much power, resulting in much greater head room, better dynamic range, frequency response and lower distortion. This is another reason why resulting audiophile LPs can sound much closer to the sound of the original recording in comparison to standard LPs.

- Mastering Process. Audiophile LPs are produced with much greater care and consideration at every stage of the mastering process. Some labels clearly state a special feature of their mastering process. For example, Classic Records use tube amplification in every stage of their mastering process, following the logic that tubes sound warmer and less clinical than transistors and as such, the resulting LPs should follow suit. In many cases, mastering engineers may have to work with master tapes that are damaged or which need level adjustments to compensate for deterioration.. It is an art to do this and to still achieve a sound as close as possible to that of the original recording. In some cases, there will be master recording notes to work with, but damage to a recording tape over time can mean that some albums take considerable time to master properly. In any case, there are some clear cases of significant improvements in sound from some audiophile LPs when compared to original pressings, for example with Carole King's Tapestry from Classic Records, which sounds much more realistic and less 'EQ'd' than standard original pressings. There are some mastering engineers who have achieved small celebrity status for the quality of their mastered albums, for example Steve Hoffman and Bernie Grundman.

- 45rpm, One-Sided LPs, etc. Many audiophile labels have recently released some LPs which are playable at 45rpm. This is an extension of the logic used for mastering at half speed. Mastering an LP at 45rpm rather than 33rpm gives a greater groove length in which to press x period of music, which should arguably result in greater detail and resolution. One sided masters follow similar logic, with the suggestion that this results in one perfect playing surface.

- Direct to Disc. Some audiophile LPs were released using this process, which means that the pressing is made live, with the signal from the session going through to the cutting lathe. The logic behind this approach is that the resulting recording should be devoid of the limitations of a recording medium and should have low distortion, excellent dynamic range and the widest possible frequency response. However, the practicalities of this approach have meant that these releases tend to be solo performers and are of the majority jazz albums. Furthermore, modern digital and 'lossless' recording techniques on newer albums mean that the benefits of this approach are arguably less important now.

- Original artwork, labels, and inclusions. Most audiophile LPs include where possible accurate reproductions of the original cover art, LP labels and any other inclusions which were included at the time of the original release. Such dedication allows you to enjoy the record as if you were buying it for the first time again, but with the advantages of the better mastering.

- Poly-lined inner sleeves. Most standard LPs are packaged using cheap paper sleeves, or in worst cases cardboard sleeves, which can scratch and scuff the vinyl when removing and replacing it before and after play. In contrast, most audiophile LPs are packaged with poly lined inner sleeves, which include a sheet of poly lining to protect the vinyl from getting damaged and for safer storage. Mofi refer to their version of these as 'rice paper inner sleeves', which are also now available in packs of 10, 25 and 50 so that you can replace cheap inner sleeves with these superior replacements.

This really is the only way to listen to Zeppelin, and most classic album rock. I remember buying Physical Graffiti the day it was released, if I can remember right (it was so long ago) for approximately $4.99, in the 70's and I thought that was a lot. I remember I rode my bike with the basket on the front to our local record store to purchase it.

Maybe it is time to get the olde pioneer turntable out and the olde' pioneer big box speakers out if storage!! :huh:

Lanni

pronounced-Lane-nee

Archived