Jeff Healey dead at 41

Loved him ever since his guest apperance in the movie Roadhouse have bought several of his cds anyone have any thoughts on what his best one is? He will be missed.

I'm really sad with this news.

I saw Jeff with my 16 year old daughter in BB king's blues club in New York in 03.

She didn't want to go, but I persuaded her and we both thought it was an amazing gig.

Loved his version of All along the Watchtower and While my guitar gently weeps.

A very sad day.

Tributes pour in for Toronto blues-jazz musician Jeff Healey

CBC News REPORT Quicktime MOVIE

Tributes were flowing Monday for Jeff Healey, a Toronto blues-rock and jazz musician who has died at age 41.

Healey, who was known for his unique guitar style, died Sunday of cancer at a Toronto hospital, surrounded by family and friends.

healey-obit-cp-4450265.jpg

Canadian musician Jeff Healey plays his unique sit-down style before a crowd in Windsor, Ont., in July 2001. Canadian musician Jeff Healey plays his unique sit-down style before a crowd in Windsor, Ont., in July 2001.

(Chris Wattie/Canadian Press)

Tributes to Healey were pouring in from blues and jazz musicians across the world including Bryan Adams, who called Healey "one of Canada's greatest talents."

Friend and fellow musician Colin James hailed him as a great talent, saying Healey's musicality came in "an unworldly way."

One of Healey's unique characteristics was his style of playing guitar — with his Fender Stratocaster placed on his lap, not standing up.

"It was amazing for any guitar player to see," James told CBC News. "It was physically shocking to hear him play."

Continue Article

Healey said it was more comfortable to play that way.

"I tried playing guitar the normal way, but I just wasn't very comfortable," Healey said in an interview with the Oregon Statesman-Journal.

A talented musician from an early age, Healey played guitar, trombone, trumpet and keyboard with fluid ease, despite being blind from the age of one.

Beginning as a blues-rock musician, he was catapulted into the spotlight when Stevie Ray Vaughan heard him play in Toronto in 1985 and began inviting him to international gigs.

Healey was known best for the classic tune Angel Eyes with the Jeff Healey Band and his role as Cody in the 1989 film Road House, starring Patrick Swayze.

In the 1990s, his career took a new turn when he opened Jeff Healey's Roadhouse, named after the movie, a popular performing venue, in Toronto.

Early love of jazz

The club played host to hundreds of Canadian and international musicians, and Healey turned to jazz, an early love.

"Every time he sang Stardust, it just sent chills through me," said Christopher Plock, a sax player and singer who counted Healey among his friends.

Plock noted that while people went to see Healey play, he was generous in sharing the spotlight.

"It was about Jeff Healey. People came to see him, but he gave other musicians a chance, even to try something new. He let everyone shine,” Plock said.

Healey and his band the Jazz Wizards played regularly at the club and Healey was recording and performing until just four weeks ago, despite battling cancer.

Gary Scriven, a member of the Jazz Wizards, said Healey had an infectious enthusiasm that motivated both his bandmates and audiences.

"He drew his strength from somewhere, I don't know where, but it spread among the band and flowed into the audience," Scriven said.

The two played together just four weeks before cancer claimed his life.

Healey's first brush with cancer was as a child of one, when he lost his eyesight to a rare form of retinal cancer known as retinoblastoma.

First band at 17

Born on March 25, 1966, in Toronto and adopted into a middle class Canadian family, Healey spent his childhood in Etobicoke, Ont.

At three, he picked up his first guitar and by the age of 17, he had his first band, Blue Directions, a blues band he and some high school friends put together.

One fateful night in 1985, a friend got 19-year-old Healey to jam with bluesmaster Albert Collins at a club in Toronto.

A few nights later, he was invited back to play with Vaughan and then the invitations for club dates started pouring in.

Healey formed the Jeff Healey Band with drummer Tom Stephen and bassist Joe Rockman.

In the late 1980s, the Jeff Healey Band played 200 to 300 gigs a year in Canada alone. Arista Records produced their first album, See the Light, which included their biggest hit single, Angel Eyes.

Juno win

The band made three more albums together, Hell to Pay, Feel This and Get Me Some. Healey won a Juno and was nominated for a Grammy Award.

In this period, Healey shared a stage with musicians such as B.B. King and George Harrison.

But Healey's true love was jazz, and in the 1990s he began to indulge that love.

"When I was growing up in the '70s as a child I was fortunate to have a lot of radio programming devoted to jazz from the '20s and '30s on a lot of different stations," Healey told the Kitchener-Waterloo Record.

He hosted the CBC Radio program, My Kind of Jazz, where he played selections from his personal collection of more than 30,000 vinyl records.

Healey hated travelling and cut back on touring commitments when he opened up Jeff Healey's Roadhouse.

Independent label

There he jammed twice a week with guest musicians and with the Jazz Wizards.

The club presented hundreds of international and local artists, and continues as one of the best live music venues in the city.

Healey created his own independent record label HealeyOphonic to record with the Jazz Wizards. In 2006, he recorded with British trombonist Chris Barber.

His last blues recording, Mess of Blues, is slated for North American release on April 22.

Healey's last live performance was Feb. 2 in Goderich, Ont., when he performed despite fighting lung cancer. His cancer had returned in 2006, at first attacking his legs.

He is survived by his wife Christie and two children; daughter Rachel, 13, and son Derek, 3.

So many talented people die so young. I had no idea he was sick. MTV had an all Zep weekend years ago, when they had Jimmy on for a while he picked videos and music he liked. I remember him picking a Jeff Healey video and saying how he respected and liked his style of play. Well deserved praise. RIP Jeff.

So many talented people die so young. I had no idea he was sick. MTV had an all Zep weekend years ago, when they had Jimmy on for a while he picked videos and music he liked. I remember him picking a Jeff Healey video and saying how he respected and liked his style of play. Well deserved praise. RIP Jeff.

Jimmy always knew his stuff. :)

Hello:

I was watching Global News last eve. There was an earlier interview with Jeff. His baby son and wife were with him. Jeff was talking about the fact that his son has inherited the gene that caused his own eye cancer when he was a baby. Jeff believed that with all the advances in medicine, his son would get better treatment.

His little son is so cute and precious... Jeff also has a daughter.

Juliet

PS I see from Pagemeister's post that Jeff's son is now 3

• 2 weeks later...

2-day concert tribute set to honour Jeff Healey

Not one, but a pair of tribute concerts are being organized to honour late jazz and blues guitarist Jeff Healey, who died earlier this month.

Healey's friends and family are planning two Toronto shows — on May 3 and 4 — to honour the memory of the acclaimed musician, a spokesperson said on Monday.

Two memorial concerts are being scheduled to honour the late Jeff Healey, who died March 2 in Toronto. Two memorial concerts are being scheduled to honour the late Jeff Healey, who died March 2 in Toronto.

(Chris Wattie/Windsor Star/Canadian Press)

The concerts will feature Healey's two bands, the Jazz Wizards and Healey's House Band, as well as a lineup of artists to be announced in the coming weeks. Ticket prices and availability are also being ironed out.

Healey died on March 2 at age 41 following various battles with cancer.

The death of the talented multi-instrumentalist (guitar, trombone, trumpet, keyboard) drew a flood of tributes, including from famous music world faces such as Bryan Adams, Colin James and Randy Bachman.

A few days after his death, Healey's wife Cristie said that while his funeral would be private, friends and family recognized the need for a public memorial to celebrate his life and music.

In lieu of flowers, the family asked for donations to be made to Daisy's Eye Cancer Fund, a charity that assists the families of children with retinoblastoma, the rare cancer that claimed Healey's sight when he was a year old. In recent years, the cancer returned in other forms, and Healey underwent operations to remove tumours from his leg and lungs.

On Saturday, a previously scheduled fundraiser was also held at Jeff Healey's Roadhouse — his downtown Toronto music club — to benefit Daisy's Eye Cancer Fund.

Healey was also honoured posthumously earlier this month when the organizers of the 2008 Indie Music Awards dedicated their latest ceremony to his memory during Canadian Music Week. The National Jazz Awards in April will also include a tribute to Healey as an artist of distinction.

Hello Pagemeister:

Thank-you for this information.

I would like to atend but looking ahead at my work schedule I will not be able to go.

I wish the CBC-Televsion could have a show to honour Jeff

I hope there will also be a tribute to Jeff on The Juno Awards next month...

Juliet

PS I remember the memorial to John Candy was broadcast on tv..

• 2 weeks later...

Archived