The Flaming Lips

Jarlaxle 56

Well, it was obvious no one else was going to create this thread...

Still digging the UFOs DVD...everyone needs to get it, it's the only official live recording out of them. And I STILL haven't been to any of their concerts :(

*wishes he had been born 40 years earlier so he could have seen them in their punk rawkish days*

What's everyone's favourite Lips album? And if you haven't heard any, why?

Absolutely love Clouds Taste Metallic, The Soft Bulletin, and Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots. Transmissions From The Satellite Heart is OK.

I don't like anything else I've heard from them.

Those few albums though, easily put The Flaming Lips in amongst my top bands. So good.

Only commercial I've seen with a Lips song is the Dell commercial that has the song W.A.N.D. off of At War With The Mystics.. I seem to remember reading about another one of their songs being used for a commercial...can't remember what though, sorry.

Only commercial I've seen with a Lips song is the Dell commercial that has the song W.A.N.D. off of At War With The Mystics.. I seem to remember reading about another one of their songs being used for a commercial...can't remember what though, sorry.

Ok, by the way QOTSA are a good band, I have Songs for the Deaf and love no one Knows !!

^^^

Not just talking about the music when I say they're weirdest, I mean you don't fully understand until you read the biography of the band, "Staring At Sound" but over their 24 years of being a band they have done some crazy shit, inside and outside the studio. For example, this is from the book....

"The Flaming Lips had borrowed one of the Butthole Surfers' most striking stage effects, which involved filling an upside down cymbal with alcohol. The band's friend George Salisbury lit "the Flames of Destiny" and struck the cymbal sending burning alcohol shooting everywhere and setting himself on fire. A panicked club staffer doused him with an extinguisher prompting Wayne to crack, "I'd rather be burned to death than be sprayed with that shit".

Lipsflame.png

Archived