In My Time Of Dying

MHD

• 2 weeks later...
really? :o:hysterical: I would be very honoured if Robert sings my name :lol: (I wish!)

Haha, when I first heard the song I went: "Gosh, is this song ...dedicated to me?" (I was 12 then.) :hysterical: And then (3 years later) I learnt that Robert said the naughty bit Evster2012 mentioned! What a coincidence!! :blink:

It could be "oh my jeans hurt!" LOL

I literally LOL'd over this one. :lol: Considering Robert's humour, I wouldn't be surprised if he did actually sing this at show or another. :D

After reading all this filthy talk about IMTOD from Van 1975 - I'm going to have to listen to that again. Ha! I thought perhaps he said something along those lines... but wasn't so sure. Now I am. lol I guess he was in one of those moods especially after hearing his intro to Moby Dick. B)

OMG!!! That's what my friends and I used to joke when we were your age!!! :hysterical:

Great minds, eh Nic? :D

That said, if you listen to Vancouver 1975, Robert says "Oh Georgina, c'mon, lick your pu**y yeah!". Doubt he's asking the son of god to commit that act! :lol:

Yeah, it varies. It began as Oh my Jesus. Of course it did. Georgina ain't gonna make his dying bed, much less give him a pair of wings. But yes, Robert changed it up. Why? Dunno.

Plant always changed up a blues number. I am by no way insulting you intelligencs (you are my favorite poster here) :D

the Vancouver shows answers all questions....

in the record he starts with oh my jesus and then it turns into oh georgina...

I am 37 and when we were younger we used to mess around with the records (with the backward messaging thing going).I almost dropped dead when I played that part backwards :o

Edited by Fresh Garbage

• 2 weeks later...
Everytime I hear IMTOD, I'm a little perplexed by what Robert sings before the final "my dyin', dyin'...cough" I know the official line is "Oh My Jesus.." but it sounds so much like "Oh, Georgina.."

My daughter is called Georgina and she thinks it's cool as she believes Robert IS singing her name :D I have listened over and over trying to fit "Oh my Jesus.." but it's not working! I can't imagine it is Georgina but can someone confirm beyond doubt what the line is?

IMTOD was an old slave song that was sung in the south during the Civil War, ro som,ething similar to it.

Everytime I hear IMTOD, I'm a little perplexed by what Robert sings before the final "my dyin', dyin'...cough" I know the official line is "Oh My Jesus.." but it sounds so much like "Oh, Georgina.."

My daughter is called Georgina and she thinks it's cool as she believes Robert IS singing her name :D I have listened over and over trying to fit "Oh my Jesus.." but it's not working! I can't imagine it is Georgina but can someone confirm beyond doubt what the line is?

come on, come on!

i can hear the angel's singin', oh

here they come, here they come

bye bye! bye bye! bye bye! bye bye! bye bye!

oh, it's pretty good up here, pretty good up here

i'll touch jesus (5x)

So, the question seems to be: Is he singing "Oh, Georgina" or "I'll touch Jesus"?

I've been listening to IMTOD again today...and, after all what I have read on this thread, what I hear could be "I'll touch Jesus" or "Oh, my Jesus" the first time round and then before "dyin'...cough" "Oh, Georgina"

It's enough to drive me mad :wacko:

:lol:

I've been listening to IMTOD again today...and, after all what I have read on this thread, what I hear could be "I'll touch Jesus" or "Oh, my Jesus" the first time round and then before "dyin'...cough" "Oh, Georgina"

It's enough to drive me mad :wacko:

:lol:

I'm listening to the song right now, it sure sounds like Georgina to me, too...

IMTOD was an old slave song that was sung in the south during the Civil War, or something similar to it.

In My Time of Dying" is a blues song that has been covered by many rock musicians since the early 1960s. The original recording was a traditional gospel song recorded by Blind Willie Johnson, titled "Jesus Make Up My Dying Bed"; his sides were recorded over the period 1927-1930.

Interesting to note in the May 2008 issue of Uncut Jimmy is specifically asked about the cough at the end of the track. He doesn't claim it is a tip of the hat to Johnson, who had died from pneumonia after going to sleep in a wet night shirt having fought a fire which consumed his home. Perhaps because it is Jimmy whom coughs? :lol:

I know the passage in the song and yeah it does...

He also says "JONI" in a song on the,"How the west was won" i believe as a tribute to Joni Mitchell. Because plant was a big fan of her style... Can't remember which track though, sorry. Might have been "the Ocean" or 'Going to california" not sure... Cheers.

In My Time of Dying" is a blues song that has been covered by many rock musicians since the early 1960s. The original recording was a traditional gospel song recorded by Blind Willie Johnson, titled "Jesus Make Up My Dying Bed"; his sides were recorded over the period 1927-1930.

Interesting to note in the May 2008 issue of Uncut Jimmy is specifically asked about the cough at the end of the track. He doesn't claim it is a tip of the hat to Johnson, who had died from pneumonia after going to sleep in a wet night shirt having fought a fire which consumed his home. Perhaps because it is Jimmy whom coughs? :lol:

mmmm

i see

Take your pick:

"Watch your Jesus"

"Watch your cheating"

"I'll touch Jesus"

"Oh tortilla"

"Oh my teeny"

"Oh my cheeses"

"Oh, Georgina"

I'm not even sure Bobby knows himself ...

I like all these suggestions. Mine's not so clever, I just think he's singing "oh marching in" with the accent on 2nd syllable, as "oh mar-CHING in".

the thing i always wondered is if he says "take my body home" or "take my boy home". in the studio version it sounds like "boy" but live it always sounds like "body"

I'd say it's "take my body home".

• 3 weeks later...

Steve wrote, that this sentence (I hope you know what I mean) Is : "I know I must haveleft my traces."

I always thought he said "Oh I must have lipstick traces"...

And I still like this version better, I kinda imagine Robert in front of Peters Gate, one beauty in each arm :lol:

Edited by lucyinthesky