Led Zeppelin - Soundboards/Multitracks Recordings

ponkine

Hi my friends B)

I read a post on the www.stevehoffman.tv forum, and a member "PacificOceanBlue" recalled that several Zep gigs were recorded on soundboard/multitracks, like SF Fillmore '69, Bath '70, Japan '71, Long Beach '72, Japan '72, Southhampton '73 or SF Kezer '73

I was shocked to see Japan 71 on the list. Damn, they were astounding performances :o

Can you imagine?. A "Led Zeppelin - Made In Japan" album? ;)

It would be a topic for endless and enthusiastic discussions: Made In Japan - Deep Purple V/s Zeppelin

There is an audience tape of 9/29/71 Japan which had mikes on and behind the stage, but this is not a soundboard tpe. The drums are very up front and Plant very quiet in the mix. Quality is very good apart from the balance issues.

Never heard any evidence of there being a true Japan 71 soundboard tape.

Bath 1970... some people can only dream. ;)

There is an audience tape of 9/29/71 Japan which had mikes on and behind the stage, but this is not a soundboard tpe. The drums are very up front and Plant very quiet in the mix. Quality is very good apart from the balance issues.

Never heard any evidence of there being a true Japan 71 soundboard tape.

Bath 1970... some people can only dream. ;)

It's discussed in Dave Lewis' The Concert File, the Japan 71. Peter Grant talked about how it was recorded on a six-track transistor board, but said that Jimmy listened to the tapes when they got back to the UK and wiped them because they weren't up to his standards. Others, in recent years, have said those tapes do still exist.

• 2 weeks later...
It's discussed in Dave Lewis' The Concert File, the Japan 71. Peter Grant talked about how it was recorded on a six-track transistor board, but said that Jimmy listened to the tapes when they got back to the UK and wiped them because they weren't up to his standards. Others, in recent years, have said those tapes do still exist.

I still think this recording is the best bootleg of all to capture the essence of Zep ...You can hear the banter between the members!!! A gem of a performance (the best version of Stairway), a crazed slow-clapping audience waiting for Bonzo to re-appear - English humour meets Japanese politeness.

Archived