Robert's Decision

nirvana

All this talk about how many millions Robert has turned down to tour with Zeppelin...well, it's never been about the cash folks.

A promoter can offer Robert the world on a string, and to his (Robert's) credit - he still wouldn't tour!

Don't they get it? What Robert loved most about Zeppelin - he has put aside with respect and integrity - and no amount of money will make up for that.

Robert is his own man. Although he loves Zeppelin and what it stood for, he's not about to tarnish it for someone else's fantasy.

Money? No, Robert doesn't need it nor does he want it. What he wants no one here on Earth can give him...He has his free will and artistic credibility intact.

Jimmy, remember the credo - "Do what thou Wilt"....well, Robert LIVES that - day in and day out, with pride and courage.

All this talk about how many millions Robert has turned down to tour with Zeppelin...well, it's never been about the cash folks.

A promoter can offer Robert the world on a string, and to his (Robert's) credit - he still wouldn't tour!

Don't they get it? What Robert loved most about Zeppelin - he has put aside with respect and integrity - and no amount of money will make up for that.

Robert is his own man. Although he loves Zeppelin and what it stood for, he's not about to tarnish it for someone else's fantasy.

Money? No, Robert doesn't need it nor does he want it. What he wants no one here on Earth can give him...He has his free will and artistic credibility intact.

Jimmy, remember the credo - "Do what thou Wilt"....well, Robert LIVES that - day in and day out, with pride and courage.

Beautiful man...just beautiful. :) Sorry, I need a tissue. Robert's courage always makes me cry

? Are you saying Jimmy wants the money? lol...If so you couldn't be any further from the truth.

*Edited for initial angry reaction.

Jimmy's a contradiction because he says he really just wants to play, but he hasn't been playing since he dropped out of the Crowes tour long ago. If he really wanted to have an active solo career, he could have put something together a long time ago. He's got all the money he needs. He's basically done it all. I think it's hard for him to really come up with a concept that really inspires him. He's lonely at the top with no muse. One of the ideas he had going for his solo album was for him to feature a rare guitar in his arsenal on individual songs. That seemed really gimmicky to me. If he really has some good material he's put together in the last few years I'd like to know what it is because he hasn't been that forthcoming.

I'm sure Jimmy deserves some credit for getting Robert on board and enthused in the project long enough to make the O2 show a success. And it seems as though he's got a pet project for himself in waiting out Robert's tour and trying to sell him on doing something with Zep afterwards. But in the end I don't think even Jimmy stresses out over this as much as we do, because remember, he played all those gigs. He lived through it all. Anything here on in is just gravy.

I like what you're saying. I hate it when people say that Led Zeppelin "owe" us a tour and stuff, because really they don't owe us anything. They've given us more than what anyone could expect from a band, people thinking that they deserve more is almost selfish.

This is not say I wouldn't want Robert to change his mind! I can live with it if he doesn't though.

I totally agree with what you're saying GibsonGirl. They owe us nothing. But some people just want to take every little piece they can get hold of to the point of slagging off members of the band, which IMHO is abhorrent, selfish and bordering on hysteria.

Abhorrent

Causing repugnance, detestable, loathsome.

Utterly opposed, or contrary, or in conflict.

Feeling extreme repugnance or aversion.

Remote in character.

Source: www.Dictionary.com

Selfishness

Selfishness denotes the precedence given in thought or deed to the self, i.e., self interest or self concern. It is the act of placing one's own needs or desires above the needs or desires of others.

Source: www.wikipedia.org

Hysteria

Hysteria is a diagnostic label applied to a state of mind, one of unmanageable fear or emotional excesses. The fear is often centered on a body part, most often on an imagined problem with that body part (disease is a common complaint). People who are "hysterical" often lose self-control due to the overwhelming fear.

Source: www.wikipedia.org

I think what is important is that they are still relevant today. I wasn't at the O2 Arena, though I've heard all the MP3s and they were fantastic, I was at Earls Court in '75 though. We're talking LEGENDS here, true LEGENDS, no 3 minute wonders who have earned the tag loosely. There are young kids around today who should be exposed to Zep today and witness the LEGEND whilst it is still active. The sound is still big, still awesome, it's lost none of it's power and it's still got Bonham on drums. The ZEP mix of rock, blues and folk is so unique I believe they should tour and carry this torch on through the world. Why? Because there is no-one like them ... none before them, none since. There maybe individuals as good or better ... EVH, Satch (guitars), Glenn Hughes (vocals) spring to mind ... but the overall package, collectively ... the musicianship, quality of songs, image, performance etc ... there's no-one to touch them. No-one even comes near!! So, whilst the LEGEND CAN still play live the LEGEND should play live and let the world know about it.

You're going to look just a little silly when they tour man....

Artistic Integrity? What like Kurt's? Hey Cobain freaks you do understand that Jimi, Mojo, Bonzo and Janis died due to "ACCIDENTAL" means...

Nobody was so deeply involved in his own supposed integrity to not only write a suicide song but then to intentionally try and put himself into the Rock and Roll Hierarchy.

Hate to laugh but it's true... oh and by the way.. Pearl Jam was , has been and will always be a better band...

Fun stuff reading about your groupie thoughts though.

Couldn't they tour with respect and integrity? Couldn't they tour without tarnishing the past? I have seen RP solo several times. He plays a ton of Zeppelin stuff at his shows. I don't think that tarnishes the past. Did the Page/Plant tours tarnish the past? Does playing Zeppelin tunes with AK tarnish the past?

In any event, one thing is clear. Robert hasn't put Zeppelin away. He may not be ready to do it with his old bandmates, but he certainly hasn't stopped performing the music. Some may say he has reinvented it, but it was being reinvented everytime they went on tour in the 60's and 70's. That is what makes the live stuff so great.

I was at the o2. I can live without a Zeppelin tour, but I would be lying if I said I wouldn't love every second of it if it happened. Done properly, like the o2 show, I am of the view that nothing would be tarnished.

? Are you saying Jimmy wants the money? lol...If so you couldn't be any further from the truth.

*Edited for initial angry reaction.

No where in my post does it mention that Jimmy would do it for the money. Not even a slight mention. You're reading something into it that isn't there.

Jimmy wants to tour - not for the money mind you, but because he wants to continue the Zeppelin legacy. Fine, what a great thing that would be! What I'm saying is that Robert has "put that aside for now, and not all the money in the world would change that"...

Jimmy has lived with the "Do what thou Wilt" credo most of his life and he believes that everyone has that right. Robert is now doing what he "wilt" - and it's not with Zeppelin - for now.

I don't think they owe us a tour either, and I'm young enough that I was born after they quit touring for good. I never had ANY chance to see them.

Robert probably has a good reason, and we should just accept that. A lot happened in the last few years of Zeppelin so I can totally understand why he would be reluctant to return to it, if that has anything to do with it. It might not. Who knows really? It doesn't matter anyway. He's already given us enough by being a part of some of the best music ever created. What more can you ask for?

why are you asking jimmy to remember it? he's not complaining is he? It makes no sense. seems you went out of your way for no reason to take a quote out of context and use it like it pertains to whats happening. it doesn't.

also, who said it was about money? who accused robert of doing it for only the money? seems to me you have a chip on your shoulder maybe. Mr.Z was right in asking you about this comment. it has no merit.

Jimmy's a contradiction because he says he really just wants to play, but he hasn't been playing since he dropped out of the Crowes tour long ago.

He was sidelined by a back injury, knee trouble and was kept busy raising his family.

why are you asking jimmy to remember it? he's not complaining is he? It makes no sense. seems you went out of your way for no reason to take a quote out of context and use it like it pertains to whats happening. it doesn't.

also, who said it was about money? who accused robert of doing it for only the money? seems to me you have a chip on your shoulder maybe. Mr.Z was right in asking you about this comment. it has no merit.

wow.

Jimmy's a contradiction because he says he really just wants to play, but he hasn't been playing since he dropped out of the Crowes tour long ago. If he really wanted to have an active solo career, he could have put something together a long time ago. He's got all the money he needs. He's basically done it all. I think it's hard for him to really come up with a concept that really inspires him. He's lonely at the top with no muse. One of the ideas he had going for his solo album was for him to feature a rare guitar in his arsenal on individual songs. That seemed really gimmicky to me. If he really has some good material he's put together in the last few years I'd like to know what it is because he hasn't been that forthcoming.

I think what Jimmy meant was that he wanted to play with Zep. Imagine making magic for 30 years and spending huge amounts of time with what is essentially your best friends in the whole world. Would you really want to start over with something new and stumble around for years, or go for what works and already popular music? At least that is my thought.

Another thing. Anyone been on jimmypageonline.com lately? They have a link to a certain gotickets.com that is rather curious. Here it is. Not quite sure if it is a leftover of the O2 concerts tho, but it doesn't sound like it.

http://www.gotickets.com/concert/led_zeppelin.php

And, just for kicks, according to another post which has a link to a site containing trivia regaurding Zep, the credo "Do what thou Wilt..." comes from a Crowley book.

I think what Jimmy meant was that he wanted to play with Zep. Imagine making magic for 30 years and spending huge amounts of time with what is essentially your best friends in the whole world. Would you really want to start over with something new and stumble around for years, or go for what works and already popular music? At least that is my thought.

Another thing. Anyone been on jimmypageonline.com lately? They have a link to a certain gotickets.com that is rather curious. Here it is. Not quite sure if it is a leftover of the O2 concerts tho, but it doesn't sound like it.

http://www.gotickets.com/concert/led_zeppelin.php

I visit JPOL often. Go-Tickets is an advertisement. They do not have any tickets (obviously since no events are scheduled), and more then likely never will.

And, just for kicks, according to another post which has a link to a site containing trivia regaurding Zep, the credo "Do what thou Wilt..." comes from a Crowley book.

The Book of The Law (1904)

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

I'm hoping this new development will cause all these reunion rumours to just go away...it's too redundant. I've always stood by Robert's decision not to do a world tour. I also know it's because he respects where he came from and not because he wishes to denounce it.

As far as him performing Zeppelin material in his solo tours, that's very different from getting back with Jimmy and Jonesy. He knows and understands that people want to hear that stuff and he does it on his own terms in moderation and creates a wonderful balance of new and old.

Personally, I'm glad that Robert's solo adventure has been as solid as it's been. He could have disappeared to lead a quiet life in the English countryside. Instead since Zeppelin's demise he has consistently and suucessfully made records. The past speaks for itself and it irritates me that so many Zeppelin fans want to keep him chained to something he has outgrown.

if Zep was going to keep going they'd have done it 28 years ago. I don't understand why people insist they keep touring, "it's their responsibility to show the kids of today what real music is like" my ass. they've got albums out, it's not like there's no recorded account of their existence. if Zep needed to show people what they were like, then there'd have been no enormous O2, no big LZ website, no hype. the very fact that people are still listening to their music via record and cd shows that they did a pretty good job showing kids "what real music is like." what are you going to say in 40 years when they're all dead? "gosh i wish all their kids would tour and show people today what real music is like"

You're going to look just a little silly when they tour man....

Artistic Integrity? What like Kurt's? Hey Cobain freaks you do understand that Jimi, Mojo, Bonzo and Janis died due to "ACCIDENTAL" means...

Nobody was so deeply involved in his own supposed integrity to not only write a suicide song but then to intentionally try and put himself into the Rock and Roll Hierarchy.

Hate to laugh but it's true... oh and by the way.. Pearl Jam was , has been and will always be a better band...

Fun stuff reading about your groupie thoughts though.

:blink:

Whoa..........what happened here? Is it me or is this so far off subject it needs a search party to bring it back?

In addition, i don't think i'll be subscribing to your newsletter.

if Zep was going to keep going they'd have done it 28 years ago. I don't understand why people insist they keep touring, "it's their responsibility to show the kids of today what real music is like" my ass. they've got albums out, it's not like there's no recorded account of their existence. if Zep needed to show people what they were like, then there'd have been no enormous O2, no big LZ website, no hype. the very fact that people are still listening to their music via record and cd shows that they did a pretty good job showing kids "what real music is like." what are you going to say in 40 years when they're all dead? "gosh i wish all their kids would tour and show people today what real music is like"

I don't expect Zep to keep going, I wold just like to see a farewell couple of shows. They still have some good stuff in them, its obvious. As far as roberts solo stuff, none of it even comes close to the quality of Zep, I liked maybe 2 of 10 albums. As far as "taking risks", doing a bunch of covers is no risk in my eyes. I feel bad for jimmy in that Roberts voice is so connected to Jimmy's songs, it's almost impossible for him to tour with someone else on vocals. if they don't play again, i would really like to see JPJ and Jimmy tour together and do Zep and their solo stuff, with Jason of course!

i dint think it was too bad an idea for them to all go together and call it Silver Zeppelin, either, then there is no Led Zeppelin legacy problem.... OK, everyone, rip it apart.....LOL

As far as roberts solo stuff, none of it even comes close to the quality of Zep, I liked maybe 2 of 10 albums. As far as "taking risks", doing a bunch of covers is no risk in my eyes. I feel bad for jimmy in that Roberts voice is so connected to Jimmy's songs, it's almost impossible for him to tour with someone else on vocals.

But therein lies the problem. In order to fully appreciate his solo work you must not constantly compare it to Zeppelin. That being said, each member on whatever solo project they've embarked on, has brought a little Zeppelin with them.

And because he has moved away from his Zeppelin past more than the other two, his sound has taken on a more...contemporary form. That is risky in my opinion. A guy that went from singing 'Squeeze my lemon...' to 'I'm In the mood for a melody...' or 'Sea Of Love'...or working with Alison Krauss. He's not trying desperately to maintain his rock god status because it he's secured that.

As far as Jimmy goes, if Robert has said no to a tour, I would like to see him work on this project we've been hearing about for 5 years. Jimmy's done some fantastic work outside of Zeppelin. His solo 'Outrider' was pretty good, and some may disagree but the Coverdale/Page was great and his playing was on fire. My point is, just because Robert said no to a tour doesn't mean that Jimmy has to remain idle. I'd love to hear something new from Jimmy in the near future.

I think a lot of the problem with Jimmy having trouble in his solo career has to do with him insisting on recreating Zep. everything he's done so far has been the same style music, and the same band setup. when you're trying to be Zep, people are going to be disappointed when you're not. and Jimmy is not Zep without the other 3. Plant, on the other hand, has actively tried not to be like Zep. none of his bands played the same style music or had the same setup. on the occasions where he did play Zep style tunes, he always switched it up and did something new and interesting. you can't compare him to Zep because he isn't trying to be Zep. the main difference between Robert and Jimmy is that Robert came to grips with Zep's death 28 years ago, and Jimmy still hasn't moved on. and of course the main difference between them both and Jones is that Jones never let Zep become something he couldn't live without, which is probably why he's had the most satisfying career of all 3 of them since the end of Zep.

Archived