Robert's Decision

nirvana

I think a lot of the problem with Jimmy having trouble in his solo career has to do with him insisting on recreating Zep. everything he's done so far has been the same style music, and the same band setup. when you're trying to be Zep, people are going to be disappointed when you're not. and Jimmy is not Zep without the other 3. Plant, on the other hand, has actively tried not to be like Zep. none of his bands played the same style music or had the same setup. on the occasions where he did play Zep style tunes, he always switched it up and did something new and interesting. you can't compare him to Zep because he isn't trying to be Zep. the main difference between Robert and Jimmy is that Robert came to grips with Zep's death 28 years ago, and Jimmy still hasn't moved on. and of course the main difference between them both and Jones is that Jones never let Zep become something he couldn't live without, which is probably why he's had the most satisfying career of all 3 of them since the end of Zep.

...VERY well said. Sums it all up. :):)

I think a lot of the problem with Jimmy having trouble in his solo career has to do with him insisting on recreating Zep. everything he's done so far has been the same style music, and the same band setup. when you're trying to be Zep, people are going to be disappointed when you're not. and Jimmy is not Zep without the other 3. Plant, on the other hand, has actively tried not to be like Zep. none of his bands played the same style music or had the same setup. on the occasions where he did play Zep style tunes, he always switched it up and did something new and interesting. you can't compare him to Zep because he isn't trying to be Zep. the main difference between Robert and Jimmy is that Robert came to grips with Zep's death 28 years ago, and Jimmy still hasn't moved on. and of course the main difference between them both and Jones is that Jones never let Zep become something he couldn't live without, which is probably why he's had the most satisfying career of all 3 of them since the end of Zep.

Robert's solo career may be more varied, but I'm not sure everything he's done has been as sincere to the core of his musical DNA as Jimmy. A lot of his solo work seemed to be motivated simply as a struggle to distance himself from Zep or gain more mainstream acceptance during the time when Zep was still a critical pariah. You'd think by Page/Plant that he would have reconciled his insecurities, but this whole "playing against type" thing drives him to this day, with stuff like Raising Sand, and it's been kind of hit or miss all along.

Meanwhile, Page sticking to the familiar may not be creatively adventurous, but it is a sincere expression of who he is. Page doesn't have the same hangups as Robert. His problem is he is just not been prolific enough.

Robert's solo career may be more varied, but I'm not sure everything he's done has been as sincere to the core of his musical DNA as Jimmy. A lot of his solo work seemed to be motivated simply as a struggle to distance himself from Zep or gain more mainstream acceptance during the time when Zep was still a critical pariah. You'd think by Page/Plant that he would have reconciled his insecurities, but this whole "playing against type" thing drives him to this day, with stuff like Raising Sand, and it's been kind of hit or miss all along.

Meanwhile, Page sticking to the familiar may not be creatively adventurous, but it is a sincere expression of who he is. Page doesn't have the same hangups as Robert. His problem is he is just not been prolific enough.

Nicely said. I do think Plant's gotten closer to his core DNA with "Mighty Rearranger" and "Raising Sand" than in stuff he's done before; the fact that he keeps right on playing Zeppelin means that's in his core somewhere, too, thank goodness.

I'm in the camp of finding it easier to understand why Jimmy wouldn't go on without his mates than why Robert would... (not a criticism, just an alternate view). The number of musicians who can play as tightly as Bonzo, Jones and Page are few. How do you re-create that? How do you risk trying to? Especially when it's already a fine life's work.

I sincerely hope it's Jimmy's will now to make more music. If it meshes with these great guys, all the better. Devoutly to be hoped for (without denying Robert Plant his will in any way).

I cannot believe that anyone is taking some silly Mirror story seriously. Did Robert actually say anything? No. Let's wait until he, or one of the other members of the band, does. I'm not saying I'm optimistic, I'm just saying there's no point at all in debating what is so obviously a bs story.

I cannot believe that anyone is taking some silly Mirror story seriously. Did Robert actually say anything? No. Let's wait until he, or one of the other members of the band, does. I'm not saying I'm optimistic, I'm just saying there's no point at all in debating what is so obviously a bs story.

Thank you Alison for remaing level headed in your thinking . It is a shame and rather odd how many vultures get fed off of suggestive fodder. The Mirror printed their implication of conjecture about Robert based on supposed quasi inside info(never once named said soure) and one by one various other online press writers repeated it.(seems to be a pattern ,they are not the investigative sort) . Now we have all these reactions here being expressed on the forum.I for one think It best to believe it is not entirely impossiable,in the few live recent video footage --Interviews with Robert , he never once completely shuts the door ---

All this talk about how many millions Robert has turned down to tour with Zeppelin...well, it's never been about the cash folks.

A promoter can offer Robert the world on a string, and to his (Robert's) credit - he still wouldn't tour!

Don't they get it? What Robert loved most about Zeppelin - he has put aside with respect and integrity - and no amount of money will make up for that.

Robert is his own man. Although he loves Zeppelin and what it stood for, he's not about to tarnish it for someone else's fantasy.

Money? No, Robert doesn't need it nor does he want it. What he wants no one here on Earth can give him...He has his free will and artistic credibility intact.

Jimmy, remember the credo - "Do what thou Wilt"....well, Robert LIVES that - day in and day out, with pride and courage.

your out of your mind they are all babies all the english men beatles pink floyd townsend they all are

I'm hoping this new development will cause all these reunion rumours to just go away...it's too redundant. I've always stood by Robert's decision not to do a world tour. I also know it's because he respects where he came from and not because he wishes to denounce it.

As far as him performing Zeppelin material in his solo tours, that's very different from getting back with Jimmy and Jonesy. He knows and understands that people want to hear that stuff and he does it on his own terms in moderation and creates a wonderful balance of new and old.

Personally, I'm glad that Robert's solo adventure has been as solid as it's been. He could have disappeared to lead a quiet life in the English countryside. Instead since Zeppelin's demise he has consistently and suucessfully made records. The past speaks for itself and it irritates me that so many Zeppelin fans want to keep him chained to something he has outgrown.

his solo stuff flat out stinks if it wasnt for zeppelin and page he would be playing in some bar with 10 people

his solo stuff flat out stinks if it wasnt for zeppelin and page he would be playing in some bar with 10 people

You obviously suffer from a hearing deficit. Outrider was brilliant. So was Coverdale Page (if you can block out Coverdale's shreiking). Jimmy's musical work has remained exemplary and compelling. As a guitarist myself, I've continually enjoyed what he's brought to the table in his post-Zeppelin years. I sat front row at the Page Crowes show at the Greek and was floored. So what if he's stuck to the rock format while Robert's gone wide. I'm certainly comfortable in his comfort zone! So he took some time off to raise his kids and do charity work, good on him! Let him ram that so-called "Led Wallet" down the throats of the hungry! I just find it so messed up that people think that just because a musician takes a hiatus that he's no longer viable. He sure as fuck was viable at the O2. Get over it!

BTW, bet you'd wish you were one of those "10 people"!

You obviously suffer from a hearing deficit. Outrider was brilliant. So was Coverdale Page (if you can block out Coverdale's shreiking). Jimmy's musical work has remained exemplary and compelling. As a guitarist myself, I've continually enjoyed what he's brought to the table in his post-Zeppelin years. I sat front row at the Page Crowes show at the Greek and was floored. So what if he's stuck to the rock format while Robert's gone wide. I'm certainly comfortable in his comfort zone! So he took some time off to raise his kids and do charity work, good on him! Let him ram that so-called "Led Wallet" down the throats of the hungry! I just find it so messed up that people think that just because a musician takes a hiatus that he's no longer viable. He sure as fuck was viable at the O2. Get over it!

evster...you ROCK! always have. :D

I agree with you on every point. Only thing is, the original quote you replied to I believe is about Robert lol..

Whoever the "person" was that said Jimmy was trying to recreate Zeppelin during his solo career, you have no idea wtf you are talking about. I suggest a hearing aid. For those of you who agreed with this point, (and you know who you are), take your blinders off and come back to reality with the rest of us please.

wow, excuse me for pointing out that all of Page's solo stuff just happened to pretty much be a guitar, bass, drums and lead singer, playing hard rock material similar to Zep, with the exception of the Page & Plant material. never said he wasn't viable, just that he seemed stuck in a rut trying to get back to where he was with Zep. it's not as if I came in here screaming about how idiotic and deaf the people were who disagreed with me. at least be civilized.

wow, excuse me for pointing out that all of Page's solo stuff just happened to pretty much be a guitar, bass, drums and lead singer, playing hard rock material similar to Zep, with the exception of the Page & Plant material. never said he wasn't viable, just that he seemed stuck in a rut trying to get back to where he was with Zep. it's not as if I came in here screaming about how idiotic and deaf the people were who disagreed with me. at least be civilized.

Ok, the soundtrack to Death Wish II was a bit heavy on the Zeppelin side. Then again it's a soundtrack so really no basis for comparing. Saying you think the band The Firm was Jimmy trying to recreate Led Zeppelin is preposterous. I do not see any resemblance. After which you have Outrider. Mostly overwrought with beautiful instrumentals, it shows how far above Jimmys playing is even within his own band. Choosing John Miles to do vocals I do not believe merits a comparison for Jimmy wanting to recreate Led Zeppelin. Coverdale/Page was produced and well written, but again no Zep relation creativity wise, other then Coverdale is tall, and has blonde hair. Page/Plant is an obvious, so no comment needed. How you came up with the theory that Jimmy spent his solo career trying to recreate Led Zeppelin is borderline insane, and has no base. This was me being civil. :D

This was me being civil. :D

:D And a nice job, too.

Working with a drummer, a bassist, a guitarist and a singer is hardly creatively bankrupt. Might as well say it's creatively bankrupt to try to ring (pun intended) everything you can out an instrument with a "only" six strings and 24 frets...

ok,plant wants his freedom to pursue solo projects-thats fair enough[after all,he is the original crusader rabbit]but please dont include zep tunes during these crusades because they sound like kareoke versions.if you want zeppelin tunes,its simple-commit 2 months of the year to 20stadium shows throughout the world[uS/UK/EUROPE/JAPAN/AUSTRALIA/STH AMERICA with the final show being in Egypt with the backdrop of the pyramids webcast to the world for all the people who missed out.Also a thought about 'stairway to heaven',and how it sounds tired in concert,all it needs is a change in format- jimmy plays it on twin neck acoustic and each night electric solo to be played by guest guitarist who puts their own spin on it- beck,clapton,slash etc etc

ok,plant wants his freedom to pursue solo projects-thats fair enough[after all,he is the original crusader rabbit]but please dont include zep tunes during these crusades because they sound like kareoke versions.if you want zeppelin tunes,its simple-commit 2 months of the year to 20stadium shows throughout the world[uS/UK/EUROPE/JAPAN/AUSTRALIA/STH AMERICA with the final show being in Egypt with the backdrop of the pyramids webcast to the world for all the people who missed out.Also a thought about 'stairway to heaven',and how it sounds tired in concert,all it needs is a change in format- jimmy plays it on twin neck acoustic and each night electric solo to be played by guest guitarist who puts their own spin on it- beck,clapton,slash etc etc

Out of curioisity, why can't Robert perform songs he wrote/co-wrote in the manner he chooses? I find some of his re-working of Led Zeppelin songs refreshing; it doesn't take away or diminish the original songs imho....but that's just my opinion.

First off, I agree a Zep tour is HIGHLY unlikely. However, how come when there is a unsubstantiated Zep reunion rumor everyone on this site immediately says its nothing but an internet rumour with no valid source? Then all of a sudden we get a "source close to the band" rumour that debunks a tour and everyone here takes it as gospel. This is not meant as a criticism, I am just curious as to why we (including myself) respond that way.

FWIW: This could very well be the first Robert Plant tour I avoid altogether. 'Raising Sand' bores me to sleep and I can't take another Zeppelin song done with a North African twist.

To agree and add,

It does bother me to a degree hearing watered down versions Led Zeppelins music. I don't mind Raising Sand, my wife bought me a copy, I think Allison has a beautiful voice and sounds very nice with Robert, also i am happy for Roberts success. He deserves it, but I myself would not have paid for the CD. No, I do not care for another album of reworked songs. Jimmy needs to get to work. Something new would be wonderful.

I wouldn't travel to see Robert and Alison together. If they ever came to São Paulo, I'd see them for sure. But I wouldn't bother to travel as far as I already have to see Plant solo or P/P (I went to Rio de Janeiro to see theironcerts, though they played in São Paulo too, concerts that I attended to), I went to Berlin to see Robert and SS, I went to London to see LZ at the O2...but as much as I like Robert, I don't care that much for Raising Sand.

To agree and add,

It does bother me to a degree hearing watered down versions Led Zeppelins music. I don't mind Raising Sand, my wife bought me a copy, I think Allison has a beautiful voice and sounds very nice with Robert, also i am happy for Roberts success. He deserves it, but I myself would not have paid for the CD. No, I do not care for another album of reworked songs. Jimmy needs to get to work. Something new would be wonderful.

....Ahhh, a Brother in Arms!

Personally speaking, if Plant isn't going to work within a Zeppelin framework then he should get back to work with Strange Sensation and put out some good music. This project with AK is a total waste of time IMHO As much as I respect his right to choose his own projects, I think he is capable of so much more.It's time he, and his collaborators of choice, put out a rocker

Obviously, anything that stands in the way of a Zep reunion tour is disappointing to many. If Robert were truly "moving on", then we can't condemn it. But it seems some of his solo stuff had unnecessary Zep flashbacks ("Lighten up", for example), and now with Alison, at least 3 Zep related songs revisited. This is not moving on, regardless of what he's entitled to...

I wouldn't travel to see Robert and Alison together. If they ever came to São Paulo, I'd see them for sure. But I wouldn't bother to travel as far as I already have to see Plant solo or P/P (I went to Rio de Janeiro to see theironcerts, though they played in São Paulo too, concerts that I attended to), I went to Berlin to see Robert and SS, I went to London to see LZ at the O2...but as much as I like Robert, I don't care that much for Raising Sand.

I would not either, I dont care for Alisons voice, and do not like Raising Sand at all, no matter how many times I listen to it, it does nothing for me. I love all Roberts solo stuff, and of course zeppelin stuff. B)

Hey there's ONE way to voice your displeasure Zep Fans..

And frankly I don't think it's a dead issue... I just think that Plant Doesn't want to have the Zeppelin "THING" hanging over Alison Krause's head during their entire tour... and who's going to buy tickets to see Krause if they know Zeppelin's coming right afterwards...

But in the same breath, anybody who forks out money for the Plant Krause album or who actually encourages this guy when he clearly felt it was his right to do things undemocratically considering Bonzo's kid gets the 3rd vote against him......

So if they aren't going to tour.. just don't pay any attention to Alison Krause and Bobby Planet...

Such is life.. if he doesn't want your attention.. then don't give him any..

Life goes on.. I've never seen them so does it really matter anyway?

Nope.

Archived